[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Octavious »

rittchard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:31 pm If you enjoy a semi-slow paced but extremely well acted (with realistic Pennsylvania accents!) crime/family drama, I highly recommend Mare of Eastwood. In spite of all the fun sci-fi and action shows I have floating around right now, the show I look forward to the most each week is Mare. I can't really explain why I enjoy it so much, but Kate Winslet is a treasure, and uh, yeah, I still have a crush on Evan Peters. Only 3 more episodes (I think 7 total), I will be sad when it ends.
Thanks I sent that to my wife. She's run out of shows and had resorted to watching English baking challenges. She was screaming at the tv like it was the Super Bowl. I think she needs this pandemic to end more than anyone. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:00 pm
rittchard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:31 pm If you enjoy a semi-slow paced but extremely well acted (with realistic Pennsylvania accents!) crime/family drama, I highly recommend Mare of Eastwood. In spite of all the fun sci-fi and action shows I have floating around right now, the show I look forward to the most each week is Mare. I can't really explain why I enjoy it so much, but Kate Winslet is a treasure, and uh, yeah, I still have a crush on Evan Peters. Only 3 more episodes (I think 7 total), I will be sad when it ends.
Thanks I sent that to my wife. She's run out of shows and had resorted to watching English baking challenges. She was screaming at the tv like it was the Super Bowl. I think she needs this pandemic to end more than anyone. :lol:
We watched all the available episodes last night. :D The first episode was slow, but then it really starts to take off. Not a happy show that's for sure. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am
Isgrimnur wrote:You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
Action Park is one of the most insane places I’ve ever been, but only in retrospect. As a teenager in the 80s and early 90s, it’s just where you went in the summer.

I am friends with a number of people who grew up in Vernon and worked at the park and their stories were nuts. F the Tarzan Swing pool.
The alpine sled thing to me is the most insane thing they had. Slap carts onto a concrete track going down a ski hill? Sure sounds awesome. I'm amazed that only one person died doing that one. It was super fun though.
They aren't the only one with alpine sleds. We had them in Western MA and Vermont when I was growing up. They were a bunch of fun, but friction burn injuries were fairly common.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:I’m still diggin’ The Nevers. The story just keeps getting better and better.

And of course the introduction of Nimble Jack hasn’t hurt.
Really liked the premier. Would like to get my girls to watch this one with me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

stessier wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am
Octavious wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am
Isgrimnur wrote:You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
Action Park is one of the most insane places I’ve ever been, but only in retrospect. As a teenager in the 80s and early 90s, it’s just where you went in the summer.

I am friends with a number of people who grew up in Vernon and worked at the park and their stories were nuts. F the Tarzan Swing pool.
The alpine sled thing to me is the most insane thing they had. Slap carts onto a concrete track going down a ski hill? Sure sounds awesome. I'm amazed that only one person died doing that one. It was super fun though.
They aren't the only one with alpine sleds. We had them in Western MA and Vermont when I was growing up. They were a bunch of fun, but friction burn injuries were fairly common.
Ya well imagine if no safety rules were followed and no maintenance was done on the sleds. Half the sleds the brakes wouldn't work. :lol:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:15 am
hepcat wrote:I’m still diggin’ The Nevers. The story just keeps getting better and better.

Warning: it gets a bit raunchy.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 am

Warning: it gets a bit raunchy.
I assumed since it was on HBO. But I think they would love the subject matter. Plus, they're 21 and 25 years old. :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

WHAAAAT!!???

In my mind, they're still...like...10!! :lol:

Sheesh, OO's been around a LOOONG time.
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Seriously this is the post when my daughter was born. She's 15! :lol:

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... hilit=Baby

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember when Hentzau's son was no higher than my knee. I suspect he's now able to defeat me in unarmed combat.

...........okay....he could probably defeat me in unarmed combat back then too.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:I remember when Hentzau's son was no higher than my knee. I suspect he's now able to defeat me in unarmed combat.

...........okay....he could probably defeat me in unarmed combat back then too.
He’s 18 and graduates high school in 18’days.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two things:

Wow, Claudia Black!

And....whoa...that last episode was not even close to what I was expecting. :shock:
Covfefe!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 pm Wow, Claudia Black!

And....whoa...that last episode was not even close to what I was expecting. :shock:
We stopped to check we were watching the right show.

Twice.

Really enjoyed it though and it makes me want to re-watch the first six episodes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It reminded me a little of Whedon’s Dollhouse in a way. Just when you think you’re starting to understand the world he’s building, he changes the rules.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 pm It reminded me a little of Whedon’s Dollhouse in a way. Just when you think you’re starting to understand the world he’s building, he changes the rules.
Yeah, that was a great way to end the first half of the season. I just hope they're able to maintain it in a post-Whedon world.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From what I've read, that was actually supposed to be the midway point for season one. They made it the season one finale due to the shortened first season that was necessitated by Whedon stepping away from the project.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I actually thought that it was still just the first half finale - didn't realize that they'd actually just called it a season after 6 episodes. Still, looks like the second season is coming - hopefully it won't be a long wait.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am I actually thought that it was still just the first half finale - didn't realize that they'd actually just called it a season after 6 episodes. Still, looks like the second season is coming - hopefully it won't be a long wait.
https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/me ... s-april-11
HBO drama series THE NEVERS debuts Part One of its first season with six episodes beginning on SUNDAY, APRIL 11 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT). Part Two's six episodes will follow at a later date, to be announced. The series will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.
I believe the official word IS what you said - just the first half split (similar to regular TV shows with a front and back half). It may also have to do with the bad press Joss got and trying to separate his name from it but the official word is they were stopped due to Covid.

But back to the show. I have a hard time following it in general some times, but I was fully awake for the last episode, and the entire time I was like WTF. I don't know the truth about all the stuff against Joss, but he is definitely a creative talent.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A new Batman animated series is coming to HBO Max. Batman: Caped Crusader
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:18 am The Flight Attendant
I just binge watched this over two days and really enjoyed it. Kaley Cuoco was a real revelation in this - great range. The show is a thriller with comedic and dramatic edges and it really does a great job of continuing to raise the stakes every episode. Supporting characters are great, dialogue is wonderful.

It’s pretty complete and only 8 episodes, so well worth watching, imo.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

No Sudden Move (2021), Steven Soderbergh. On Crave in Canada.

I can't tell if this is great or merely just good. But if you like Soderbergh, the actors involved, or daylight noir set in 1950s Detroit sounds refreshing, this is worth a watch.

Also, how fat Brendan Fraser is really makes me feel better about my body.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched this right after watching The Tomorrow War so I could remember what hope was like.

I liked it...a lot...although I felt the ending wasn't as organic to the story as I'd have wanted. Still, top level performances from some truly great actors.

I'm glad Brendan Fraser is getting the work he deserves these days. I feel like he's purposely letting himself go as he has a long history of trying to rise above his matinee idol looks to get better roles. Plus, the work he's doing with just his voice alone on Doom Patrol is fantastic.

I'm also happy to see Kieran Culkin getting more and more roles. I've been a fan of his since Igby Goes Down.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

[Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Zarathud »

Brendan Fraser had a bunch of surgeries from injuries and went into deep depression. He fell apart for a variety of reasons.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Interesting, I did not know about the health issues.

I've always liked Fraser. He always seemed self effacing and easy going. His turn on Scrubs was both hilarious and heartbreaking. As I mentioned before, his voice work alone on Doom Patrol is worth the price of admission.

"Giant clowns? Nope."
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He also reported a sexual assault by some Hollywood media magnate, and believes that he was black-balled by them in retaliation, killing his publicity.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, HBO Max's The Prince, an adult animated series centering on Prince George of England and the royal family in a decidedly negative manner, is really pretty awful. I watched a couple of episodes to see what all the fuss was about, and I agree with most reviews that it's just mean spirited without being funny. I mean, their main comedic punching bags are a group of real life children. When you start off that low, there's not much hope of success, I would think.

In other news

Oh yeah, doom patrol season 3 is right around the corner. One of the best damn shows on television is coming back soon.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished White Lotus and I still don't know what to think of it. It's getting a LOT of critical praise, and I'm guessing it's going to sweep the emmy awards when the time comes, but everyone on that show is so freakin' unlikable and often just downright despicable...although I think that was the point of the show.

I enjoyed it though. And Jennifer Coolidge should just be given every single possible award for her performance. She was utterly fantastic from start to finish. I've always thought she was good, but damn if she didn't just own the role of the mentally scarred Tanya carrying her dead mother's ashes around Hawaii while working out her issues with all the abuse she'd suffered over the years. She just needs to win everything, that's all I'm saying.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am I finished White Lotus and I still don't know what to think of it. It's getting a LOT of critical praise, and I'm guessing it's going to sweep the emmy awards when the time comes, but everyone on that show is so freakin' unlikable and often just downright despicable...although I think that was the point of the show.

I enjoyed it though. And Jennifer Coolidge should just be given every single possible award for her performance. She was utterly fantastic from start to finish. I've always thought she was good, but damn if she didn't just own the role of the mentally scarred Tanya carrying her dead mother's ashes around Hawaii while working out her issues with all the abuse she'd suffered over the years. She just needs to win everything, that's all I'm saying.
Haven't heard of the show. And I wasn't sure who the actress is. But when I did a search, the first article I found was this:
https://news.yahoo.com/10-reasons-why-j ... 08371.html

So it appears that you are not alone in your belief.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She's one of those character actresses that you've probably seen in a dozen shows or more. She always plays the ditzy blonde or the oversexed MILF, but she does so with more than the usual depth you'd expect in such characters. Plus, her delivery when she does comedy is almost always flawless.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Once I saw a picture, I immediately recognized her. But not from any main roles (that I can remember). But for the type of roles you mention. Like on '2 Broke Girls'. I've only seen bits and pieces, but I definitely remember her character.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Should I?

I have the other streaming services. But I like me some superhero shows, and I want to see Dune. Me and mine won't be heading out to the theater for quite some time, I am sure of that.
So should I get HBOMax? Is it available on Roku? I am thinking of a year long no commercial subscription. What say you all?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Definitely a lot of content. I get it free with my internet. I would guess without that, I would get it for a month or two at a time. It took a while before Roku got an app but yes it's available. I think the app is the poorest running one I have used. It's very very slow, and if you try to navigate through a long list (for example: All Movies, or All Action movies) I have never been able to get through them all without a lockup. Having said that once I start playing something it has been fine. (I have heard others have had buffering issues but I haven't.) If you are into the Warner/DC content then it's a no brainer. Of course all the HBO original shows are there too.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JCC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:37 pm I think the app is the poorest running one I have used. It's very very slow, and if you try to navigate through a long list (for example: All Movies, or All Action movies) I have never been able to get through them all without a lockup.
For the record, the HBO Max app is the worst on every platform I have used it on (PS5, Samsung TV) so at least they are consistent! Once a show starts it is fine, but it almost never survives putting my SP5 in rest mode, I have to kill and restart the app pretty much every time.

On the other hand, the content is worth it. I don't pay anything extra for it, but I've watched Harley Quinn, Batwoman, Chernobyl, Doom Patrol and Watchmen that I can remember plus In The Heights and Tenet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

JCC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:37 pm Definitely a lot of content. I get it free with my internet. I would guess without that, I would get it for a month or two at a time. It took a while before Roku got an app but yes it's available. I think the app is the poorest running one I have used. It's very very slow, and if you try to navigate through a long list (for example: All Movies, or All Action movies) I have never been able to get through them all without a lockup. Having said that once I start playing something it has been fine. (I have heard others have had buffering issues but I haven't.) If you are into the Warner/DC content then it's a no brainer. Of course all the HBO original shows are there too.
I use my PC to browse their database and update my list. Their app is indeed very, very bad on my TV, but it's smoove as buttah on a proper computer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Odd, on the Shield TV I’ve only ever had an issue with the HBO Max app once or twice…ever. I admit, it needs better organization, but I feel that way about every streaming app with a lot of content.

The Amazon Prime app gives me far more trouble.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

JCC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:37 pm Definitely a lot of content. I get it free with my internet. I would guess without that, I would get it for a month or two at a time. It took a while before Roku got an app but yes it's available. I think the app is the poorest running one I have used. It's very very slow, and if you try to navigate through a long list (for example: All Movies, or All Action movies) I have never been able to get through them all without a lockup. Having said that once I start playing something it has been fine. (I have heard others have had buffering issues but I haven't.) If you are into the Warner/DC content then it's a no brainer. Of course all the HBO original shows are there too.
With the exception of the "lot of content" sentence, I agree with all of this.

I think it has the least amount of content for me out to the apps I use (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Peacock, HBO) and we only subscribe to it for a few months at a time, watch the movies we're interested in, then drop it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Malignant, a new horror movie from the James Wan school of horror has been out for about a week or two. I’m pretty effing bored with his schtick at this point and was going to give it a pass. But tonight I sat down and started watching it.

It does not feel like a James Wan movie. It feels like something Dario Argento would make. It’s bat shit insane, shot and scored like it was made in the 70s, and surprisingly entertaining.

The really dumb ending is so dumb it actually makes it even MORE entertaining.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:It does not feel like a James Wan movie. It feels like something Dario Argento would make. It’s bat shit insane, shot and scored like it was made in the 70s, and surprisingly entertaining.
A lot of the criticisms I've seen of the movie seem to miss this point entirely. If you've never seen a 70s giallo film, I could see where you'd be scratching your head the entire film at the decisions he made.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hell, it even has a strong synth soundtrack that seems to pay homage to Goblin.

It also feels like a Frank Henenlotter or Larry Cohen film at times. That kind of horror film that throws everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Is it a great film? No, not really. Is it an entertaining film? Yeah, I think it really is.

Especially after the big reveal and the ensuing last 30 minutes or so of just sheer gonzo action. It's more creature feature than anything else at that point....and who doesn't love a good creature feature?

Although I may just be surprised that this doesn't suck as badly as the Conjuring and Annabell franchises.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh , you are not going to get away with that.