[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by hepcat »

Going into a Ridley Scott epic expecting historical accuracy is like watching Newsies the night before an American History exam as research.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
AWS260 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 am I've never had HBO before, so this opens up a whole new world! I've heard a lot of good things about a "Sopranos" show. I'm not a big opera fan, but maybe I'll check it out.
Oh my. So much to watch! In rough order, my top 10 favorite HBO series:
1) The Wire
2) Chernobyl
3) True Detective (season 1 and 3)
4) Barry
5) The Sopranos
6) Game of Thrones
7) Watchmen
8) Curb Your Enthusiasm
9) Silicon Valley
10) The Leftovers (especially season 2 and 3).

That should last you through the new year...
So there's this little show called Rome...
No Deadwood?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I haven't actually watched Deadwood.... :doh:
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I haven't actually watched Deadwood.... :doh:
You’re forgiven then.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I haven't actually watched Deadwood.... :doh:
You’re forgiven then.
For not including it. You're not forgiven for having not watched it. Rectify this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

An old standby of mine is Band of Brothers. The Pacific is worth a watch and definitely watch Generation Kill which I watched again recently then reread the book.

And I don't know if it's on other streaming services but the cop show Southland ended up on HBO Max for some reason. I've heard of it but haven't watched it till now. It joins Bosch, The Wire and Homicide Life on the Streets as one of my favorite cop shows.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Signed up for Hulu and HBO/MAX with it (Hulu w/ 65 channels, we're checking it out with the trial, considering dropping cable).

Can't find the new Wonder Woman 1984 under the HBO/MAX stuff though.

Anyone finding it yet?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s literally the first thing I see when I open the app. Are you sure you’re using the HBO MAX app?
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's also only available on HBOMax in the US.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm It's also only available on HBOMax in the US.
Good point. I believe Michigan seceded a few years back.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:08 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm It's also only available on HBOMax in the US.
There was the group that tried to kidnap our Governor - presumably so we could join Trumplandia, but they failed so we're still US as far as I know.

And no, I didn't try HBO/MAX app, I picked the HBO/MAX in Hulu hubs - premium. See a bunch of HBO stuff there, but not WW1984. Guess I'll have to try something more direct.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

That was the problem. Have to go to HBO/MAX, the Hulu HBO/MAX hub is not the same thing apparently.

Inconvenient, I'll have to hook my PC up to the TV again, but not the end of the world.

Thanks for the assist peeps!
Last edited by Zenn7 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like you have to use the HBO Max app, but select Hulu as your provider when signing in.

Edit: never mind, you found out.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:08 pm
Isn't Detroit just a suburb of Windsor at this point?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the giant fist statue for Joe Louis that is aimed at Windsor. I think it’s a threat.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

WW84 was so so bad. I'm super glad it was free. How that plot got approved I'll never understand.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t think it was horrible, but it definitely wasn’t great (in my opinion, of course). The main villain’s powers were confusing, for one thing. They seemed to make up the rules for what he could do as they went along.

Also
Spoiler:
Wonder Woman and Steve seemed alarmingly blasé about the fact that Steve essentially took over someone’s life. I don’t think they even once acknowledged that what had happened to his host was wrong.

Wonder Women suddenly telling us she’s been working on the ability to make things invisible was idiotic. I know they wanted the invisible jet to make an appearance, but that was not the way to do it. I will give the sudden ability to fly a pass though. It’s in the comics too, but they handled it a bit better.

Marvel should sue them for the constant web slinging this movie has.

Kristen Wig was far better than I expected her to be as Cheetah.

I love a good story about the empowerment of women, but at least try to do it without equating it to strength and physical violence yet again. This has been done so many times at this point that it trivializes the message it should be sending.

I did like some of the action scenes though...at least those that didn’t consist solely of web slinging.
The first one felt timeless. This one won’t age well, I predict.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We found how to watch WW1984, but haven't watched it yet. Hulu has Law & Order: SVU - we've been recording/watching the series off USA/ION, but we'd hit a few missed episodes. So we watched those 3-4 episodes and are fully caught up to the latest episodes we had watched (we're starting season 17).

After that, I looked on HBO/MAX a little to see what's there.

Young Justice Season3 - OH CRAP!!! I forgot this was a thing on the streaming stuff!!! Super-geeked!!! Love that show!
Formix

Post by Formix »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:29 pm WW84 was so so bad. I'm super glad it was free. How that plot got approved I'll never understand.
100% this. I'm all for suspension of disbelief (it's a comic book movie after all) but I think my wife summed it up best. "I don't understand why I just watched that movie".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:21 am
Young Justice Season3 - OH CRAP!!! I forgot this was a thing on the streaming stuff!!! Super-geeked!!! Love that show!
And it is superb. You will love it.

Don’t forget to give Doom Patrol a watch. It was hands down my favorite show on DC Universe. It’s insane, bizarre, hilarious, creepy and heartbreaking throughout.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Formix wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:13 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:29 pm WW84 was so so bad. I'm super glad it was free. How that plot got approved I'll never understand.
100% this. I'm all for suspension of disbelief (it's a comic book movie after all) but I think my wife summed it up best. "I don't understand why I just watched that movie".
And did anyone else find a certain plot point to be a little, um, rape-y?
Spoiler:
So, Steve Trevor's ghost or whatever gets sucked into the body of a random (but conveniently still good looking) engineer in DC. At no point is this human being's fate of any concern to Wonder Woman or Steve. She has sex with the body and then they kidnap it to the middle east where it is subjected to all kinds of danger and mayhem. What is so bizarre is that this plot point was so unnecessary. Steve came back because of a magical wish. He could have come back in his own body and the audience wouldn't have cared at all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You know we have a thread for the film, right?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:34 am
Formix wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:13 am
And did anyone else find a certain plot point to be a little, um, rape-y?
Spoiler:
So, Steve Trevor's ghost or whatever gets sucked into the body of a random (but conveniently still good looking) engineer in DC. At no point is this human being's fate of any concern to Wonder Woman or Steve. She has sex with the body and then they kidnap it to the middle east where it is subjected to all kinds of danger and mayhem. What is so bizarre is that this plot point was so unnecessary. Steve came back because of a magical wish. He could have come back in his own body and the audience wouldn't have cared at all.
I mentioned that in my earlier post. It was weird and as you pointed out, entirely unnecessary.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:

Don’t forget to give Doom Patrol a watch. It was hands down my favorite show on DC Universe. It’s insane, bizarre, hilarious, creepy and heartbreaking throughout.
Along with Doom Patrol give Titans a watch too. I'm really liking the live action DC stuff brought over to HBO Max.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t really like Titans. It feels like they’re trying too hard to be adult, and forgetting to do it in a thoughtful manner. It’s the same reason I’m not a fan of most of the CW superhero shows, to be honest. And Titans feels like a CW show with an R rating.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Isgrimnur wrote:You know we have a thread for the film, right?
I doesn't deserve it's own thread! ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:22 pm
Don’t be so hard on yourself!
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What’s the consensus of Raised by Wolves? Watched the first episode yesterday and it was interesting enough, but seemed like it might have already resolved the most interesting conflict..
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:24 am

Young Justice Season 3 was at least as good, if not better than season 2, which was probably the best cartoon show I recall ever watching. Absolutely loved it, wish they'd do another season.

We have been catching up on Star Trek: Discovery, likely to finish that today or tomorrow.

Probably not going to check out Doom Patrol or Teen Titans right now as we only have this for 7 days (either Thursday or Friday) and I want to do something while I'm on vaca besides binge watch TV. Like check out some of the new games I got for xmas! And maybe some family time or something. And probably some chores... :(
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm What’s the consensus of Raised by Wolves? Watched the first episode yesterday and it was interesting enough, but seemed like it might have already resolved the most interesting conflict..
You may hear some mixed reviews but I rather liked the world the writers built and the androids themselves, especially Father. Give it a watch and decide for yourself! It kind of goes off the rails later in the story but in a totally gonzo entertaining way for me.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Absolutely agree with Siljanus. He and I discussed the totally bonkers story as it played out after the premiere a few times, so you can go back and get some impressions there. But long story short: I wouldn’t call it great, but I would call it so bat shit insane and unexpected that I couldn’t stop watching it.
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:10 pm
Young Justice Season 3 was at least as good, if not better than season 2, which was probably the best cartoon show I recall ever watching. Absolutely loved it, wish they'd do another season.
I’m pretty sure they’re planning another season. It was well received.

Edit: scratch that, it is happening. Season 4 is called Young Justice: Phantoms. But no premiere date yet set. Blame COVID, I imagine.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm Absolutely agree with Siljanus. He and I discussed the totally bonkers story as it played out after the premiere a few times, so you can go back and get some impressions there. But long story short: I wouldn’t call it great, but I would call it so bat shit insane and unexpected that I couldn’t stop watching it.
Mother and Father totally need to teach a child rearing class! :lol:
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:15 pm I don’t really like Titans. It feels like they’re trying too hard to be adult, and forgetting to do it in a thoughtful manner. It’s the same reason I’m not a fan of most of the CW superhero shows, to be honest. And Titans feels like a CW show with an R rating.
I’m liking Titans more than the run of the mill CW superhero shows with the exception of Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow which I love. Jury is out on Stargirl.

But we’re definitely on the same page in regards to Doom Patrol! :dance:
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stargirl surprised me. I thought I would dislike it like I do most CW superhero shows, but it worked for me because it was essentially one long homage to DC silver age comics. Without that though, I can see how it’s just another CW show.

Doom Patrol is in the same category as Legion. Comic book shows that transcend the genre to become quality shows I’d put up against any quality television.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:10 pm
I’m pretty sure they’re planning another season. It was well received.

Edit: scratch that, it is happening. Season 4 is called Young Justice: Phantoms. But no premiere date yet set. Blame COVID, I imagine.
That just might be enough to make me sub for a month to watch it. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have a code for free 30 days if anyone wants it.
You'll need to create an account with payment info, but as long as you cancel within the 30 days there will be no charges.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Regarding the new Spanish horror series 30 Coins:
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:02 pm Looks interesting, but is it subtitles only? That's a show killer for me, unfortunately.
Subtitles only. The show is up now.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:(
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

hepcat wrote:
Octavious wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:22 pm
Don’t be so hard on yourself!
Lol I just noticed this now. Stupid typo.