[Film] Tarantino-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

[Film] Tarantino-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Jaymann »

Anyone else looking forward to this? Two trailers here. 92% on Rotten, getting good reviews, and allegedly with less QT excess. Opens 7-26-19.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Re: [Film] Tarantino-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm really looking forward to it. Might even leave the house to watch it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Heck yes. I'll go see anything Tarantino does.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't have as much faith in Tarantino as I have in that cast. Bring on the impressions!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The (new?) trailer in the OP emphasizes the Manson angle more than I've seen. Is that the real core of the movie, or just an episode?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm The (new?) trailer in the OP emphasizes the Manson angle more than I've seen. Is that the real core of the movie, or just an episode?
I certainly hope it is not core. His neighbor is Sharon Tate so it's a thing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Saw it, loved it despite some reservations on how it ends.
It's just a fun movie to savor.
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm The (new?) trailer in the OP emphasizes the Manson angle more than I've seen. Is that the real core of the movie, or just an episode?
I certainly hope it is not core. His neighbor is Sharon Tate so it's a thing.
In response to this;
Spoiler:
The story is not about this and does not revolve around it, but it is a major plot point.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Absolutely loved it! QT has a keener eye for pop culture than any other director, IMHO, and it shows in this film. I really felt that he nailed the "feel" of 1969.

On the other hand, there are two things about this film that will cause some folks to have a problem with it: 1. The Story takes a while to get rolling, so if you aren't keen on sitting back and soaking up 1960's Hollywood Culture, you'll probably get impatient with the film after the first hour or so. 2. If you're a Politically Correct type who likes to judge the past through a modern filter, you'll be disturbed and should definitely avoid this movie.

I'm giving it 4.5 stars out of 5, much better than "Captain Marvel" but not quite as good as "End Game"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I’m interested in positive reviews. I’ve seen at least a couple of respectable people rank it last in QT’s oeuvre.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apollo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm If you're a Politically Correct type
then why are you watching a Quentin Tarantino film? Did you take a wrong turn for The Secret Life Of Pets 2?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saw it today, I would say one of Tarantino's best. IMO he has a gift for doing a slow build without curing insomnia. For example, I would like to see the fake western movie where Rick played the bad guy. Al Pacino and Kurt Russell were under utilized. The fight with Bruce Lee was perfect. As far as the Manson murders:
Spoiler:
It was a re-imagining ala Inglourious Basterds, invoking a similar response.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm I’m interested in positive reviews. I’ve seen at least a couple of respectable people rank it last in QT’s oeuvre.
I don't know if I'm respectable or not, but I'd rank it among his best.
My tentative ranking would be the following - top 4 are probably a bit fluid depending on my mood.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
4. Kill Bill vol I & II
5. Jackie Brown (don't really remember this one very well - it could be higher)
6. Grindhouse / Deathproof (only ok. this is where the line dividing the good from the bad is for me)
7. Django Unchained (the charm didn't last thru my second viewing, but Cristoph Waltz was great)
8. Inglourious Basterds (I couldn't finish this one, even with an outstanding Cristoph Waltz)

The Hateful Eight - Have not Seen
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

For me it would be:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3. Kill Bill 1&2
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Django Unchained
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. Jackie Brown
8. The Hateful Eight
9. Deathproof
morlac

Post by morlac »

Do we consider True Romance a Tarantino film?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If we do, I haven't seen it either so wouldn't change my list.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Oh my, if you like Tarantino you must see it. Prolly a top 5 all time movie for me.
JCC

Post by JCC »

True Romance does NOT count since he didn't direct it.

I agree however, that True Romance is very good, and very Quentin.

Still haven't seen the new one. Shocked at how low some of you rank IB. Saddened (but not surprised) at how low The Hateful Eight ranks. Everyone seemed to hate it, but I enjoyed it a lot. Kill Bill 1 and 2 are my favorite Q "movie". I need to think a long time to rank the rest - maybe later.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

JCC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 pm True Romance does NOT count since he didn't direct it.

I agree however, that True Romance is very good, and very Quentin.

Still haven't seen the new one. Shocked at how low some of you rank IB. Saddened (but not surprised) at how low The Hateful Eight ranks. Everyone seemed to hate it, but I enjoyed it a lot. Kill Bill 1 and 2 are my favorite Q "movie". I need to think a long time to rank the rest - maybe later.
I can easily see how many Tarantino fans won't like his latest film. It lacks the excessive profanity, sudden plot twists, and, other than a couple of scenes, the over-the-top violence that is a hallmark of most of his films. And since I now know that there are people out there that consider movies like "No Country for Old Men" boring ( :mrgreen: ), I'm certain many QT fans will see his latest as a snoozer. On the other hand, I think a lot of people who normally don't like his films will like this one, so we'll see.

My theory is that Tarantino watched "Bad Times at the El Royale" (a love letter to QT's films), realized that he was becoming a bit formulaic, and decided to try something different. :P
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

No Country for Old Men is a good comparison I think. I got the feeling while watching this one that it had a similar "feel".
NCfOM is one of my all time favorites and I think that most people who like one will like the other.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Apollo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:54 pm It lacks the excessive profanity, sudden plot twists, and, other than a couple of scenes, the over-the-top violence that is a hallmark of most of his films.
Good. Then I'll actually watch it. The trailers look really good but I mostly stopped watching Tarantino movies because the level of graphic violence bothers me.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Saw it last night. I went in knowing very little about it. Slow movie that captured a great feel and era. I would rank it third in his movies behind Pulp fiction and Reservoir Dogs. The ending was great.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I went and saw this Friday afternoon in a nearly empty theater. I certainly enjoyed it but would definitely rank it among my least favorites of Q's films. (Keep in mind I am very big fan of Q and at least like every one of them.) This feels very different from his other films for good or ill. I thought both Brad and Leo were excellent. There is one particular scene where Leo just mesmerized me. Brad's character was incredibly cool. The movie definitely was not what I expected. I sort of have the same criticism of this Q move that I have for another of my least favorite Q movies - Jackie Brown. I always felt Robert Deniro was wasted in JB since he basically just smokes dope on a couch for the lion's share of the movie. Likewise I was giddy when I saw Al Pacino's name in the credits - and while he was amusing - felt disappointed in who he played and how little he was in the movie.

Still, a very good move that I expect I will like more after each time I watch it - like pretty much all of his movies.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw it yesterday finally. I would put it in his top films due to his keeping his self absorbed side in check. Too many of his films simply feel like 2 to 3 hours of Tarantino trying to make us think something’s cool because he does, instead of letting the film do it organically. This film deftly avoids that. The characters, the environment and the dialogue feel like a grown up Tarantino at the top of his game. Pitt and DiCaprio knock it out of the park at every turn...although Pitt might be the stronger of the two in the film. And while the Bruce Lee bit dragged on far too long for a scene meant to simply explain why Cliff is Cliff, and why a lot of people in Hollywood don’t like that Cliff, it didn’t weaken the rest of the film.

Heck, Lena Dunham couldn’t even ruin it for me...and she annoys the hell out of me.

Tarantino has hinted he may do a horror film next. I’m not sure he has the right skill set for that, but the extended scene at the Spahn Ranch convinced me to give him the benefit of the doubt if he does decide to make one.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Finally saw this one tonight. It was his slowest burn yet, but what a payoff!

I agree with everything you said, Hepcat, except for the Bruce Lee scene. Like the rest of the movie, it was a slow build that didn't let me down.

Great movie.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Loved the Spahn Ranch scene. LOVED the Helter Skelter historical revision.