Stuff to do in Vegas... again

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Stuff to do in Vegas... again

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 am I’ve just enjoyed reading your comebacks to the various suggestions in the thread. Not liking In-N-Out took it to a comical level.
We live in Texas. We have Whataburger. We have no need for In-N-Out.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:
msteelers wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 am I’ve just enjoyed reading your comebacks to the various suggestions in the thread. Not liking In-N-Out took it to a comical level.
Whataburger is good. I had one next to the apartment I lived in during college. But they were SLOW. I remember sitting in the drive thru and listened to an entire period of hockey before I got my order. It routinely took 20-30 minutes to get our order.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess this is where I am also not a foodie. I love a burger. I used to try the various national raves every time work sent me down to Texas. Whataburger is one of those places. It's a burger. Five Guys everyone raved about I finally got to when they opened around here. It's a burger. Way back when, in the early 90s Red Robin started to open around here. They were awesome. Their "gourmet burgers", well, they were burgers, but their endless baskets of waffle fries were the best. Then they switched to steak fries of varying qualities. The only time burgers stick out for me is if they are bad, I guess or crazy expensive or a full sized real burger for cheap, I guess. You can get some awesome burger, fries, and beer combo for $4 at some pubs. The burgers are so good because I get a better burger than I do in $7 combo from McDonalds as part of a $4 combo that comes with a beer. Now that's how you make the normal burger excellent.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think I have ever had a burger at Whataburger. I ate breakfast at one once. For burgers I just want a patty that doesn't detract from the flavor of the toppings/condiments. I've never found a burger delicious. I have found a sauce delicious.

Hey, I told you I wasn't a foodie.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:01 pm
Incorrect. Whataburger is nowhere near the quality of In-N -Out.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Indeed, part of the enjoyment of In-N-Out lies in their secret menu.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 pm
Call me when they start serving breakfast at 11 pm and are open 24/7.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 pm
Call me when they start serving breakfast at 11 pm and are open 24/7.
That's not quality, that's desperation...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You are not invited to any party in which I have a say.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 pm You are not invited to any party in which I have a say.
Truth. 3rd shift breakfast could make me into a foodie. 3rd shift breakfast is better pie for breakfast. It's better than brownies. It goes toe to toe with pizza. It's hard to compete with an meat and cheese omelette, bagel and cream cheese, shoe string hashbrowns cooked in lard, and coffee in the AM before you go to bed. And 3rd shift restaurants were everything when I had energy and a social life. Oh for the days when I had a metabolism where that turn to energy to help me get out of the bed in the morning instead of turning into stomach girth and weight and contributing to the feeling I need to sleep in.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife and I booked our Vegas trip last night. We'll be out there for a week in early October. I've only ever been to Vegas in the summer, when it's still 100 degrees after the sun goes down. Supposedly Vegas in October is 80 degrees during the day, and then cold at night. 80 degrees in Florida is hot, but that's with humidity. What's 80 degrees like in the desert with zero humidity?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 am What's 80 degrees like in the desert with zero humidity?
Pleasant as long as you're not in direct sun.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Well thanks everyone for your input. We did precisely nothing mentioned in this thread (as far as I can remember any way) and had a good time anyway.

First up was Potted Potter, it's a two man comedy act retelling the Harry Potter books in 70 minutes. It was much funnier than you are thinking. Worth it if you are any kind of Harry Potter fan.

Then the Minus5 Ice bar in Mandalay Bay. We went around lunch time when it was completely empty. It was kind of interesting. Some cool ice sculptures. My wife had a cocktail out of a glass made of ice. We got some pictures and were on our way.

Next up was Cirque du Soleil's O. Wow that was... well... pretty boring.

Then the Sky Jump at the Stratosphere. A 855' (rapid) controlled descent from the observation deck. It was fun and my wife surprised me by actually making the jump.

Finally, a show called Opium at the Cosmopolitan. We went in knowing pretty much nothing about it. It was a bit of a last minute call. It ended up being the highlight of the trip. Basically a variety show with a solid dose of sophomoric humor. Definitely not family friendly. The less you know about it going in, the better.

We stayed at the Bellagio in a room with a great view of the fountains.

There really wasn't any standout food. We basically just got whatever was nearby at the time we wanted food. The best was probably breakfast at Mon Ami Gabi in Paris. I made a pretty boring choice of a ham and cheese omelette but it was very good.

We spent a LOT of time walking around and just checking things out without really doing much most of the time. It was 106 or 107 on Friday which was a little warm.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter