My rat dilemma

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

My rat dilemma

Post by Daehawk »

Ive posted some snippets about them before but heres the whole deal.

Around the 9th of June I sprayed around the edge of the house to help rid my kitchen of ants. Been driving me crazy for months. Tiny sugar ants. About an hour later when I was in the kitchen I heard squeaking. I thought it was a mouse in the wall so set a trap. 30 min later I was back and took the garbage out. When I did I found baby rats behind the dumpster. Seems spray irritated them or something and they had crawled out together into the open. They were a week old. Eyes still closed and barely haired. In total there were 10 of them with 2 dead already. Ugh. I dont need rats in my home but I couldn't just kill them or let them die starving and alone in the elements. Not in my heart these days. In the old days Id give them a fast death with our cat. Now no cat and couldn't anyways.

So I tried to raise them. So tiny about half pinky size. Over the next week 4 more died. I was doing my best. Had them in a small box with torn up paper towel bedding. They'd bury in to stay warm. Had a heating pad on low only half on and half off the bottom of the box so they could move. They cant regulate their own heat until 2 weeks old at least. I fed them every 2 hours the first few days then every 3 hours..all day all night. I sat alarms to get up to. I was SO tired. Did all I could and read up on them all I could. Spoke online with a rat rehab place. They were over an hour from me so driving them there was out and no one around here helped rats.

Anyways their eyes were ready to open soon and there was only 4 left. I named them Porthos, Aramis, Athos, and D'Artagnan....the Musketeers. Unfortunately another died, then the next day another and another. Finally only Porthos was still with me. But he was strong and he soon opened his eyes at a little over 2 weeks. He got stronger and bigger pretty fast over the next week. I started weaning him from the syringe to a milk jug lid. He took turns with the syringe and the lid and started to nip veggies.

At that time I put him in a larger box but even still I went out one day to the back porch and he was gone. I looked for an hour to no avail and was going to give up when I spotted a tail behind the kitchen canister. He had somehow came inside. I got a box a good 2 1/2 feet tall and moved him to the living room for easier access. He stayed in it until one day he was out again. I knew it would be time to release him soon.He got out a couple more time and each time I found him on the back of the couch. He took paper with him and made a bed behind my magazines.

Keep in mind I always planned to release them. I only handled them to feed and when I changed the paper bedding he'd sit on my shoulder for a few min. A week ago it was time so I took him box and all outside to my lower outbuilding and sat his box with fresh food and water in it inside the building and put a branch into it so he could climb out when he felt safe. An hour later I went to check on him and he was gone. I saw or heard nothing and he didn't come when I called to him.

I rechecked him for all last week and gave up 3 days ago.No sign. I was hoping he was just doing his rat thing and having fun being free. Until 5am this morning.

I was sound asleep on my back in bed and I wake up to whiskers on my lips. Rat kiss! I instinctively swiped with my hand and bumped a mouse I thought then I thought uh oh it might be Porthos. Sure enough it was. He hopped up on the side of the bed as I looked around. I stuck out my hand and he hopped into it. He was so bouncy and excited. He seemed so thrilled to find me lol.

I got up and spent the next hour wondering what to do while he sat on my shoulders. After the little time I spent with him I thought he'd be wild enough to be on his own. Seems all the holding while feeding every few hours made him too tame.He is too much a pet to release into a field it seems and of course he is a rat still so he would poo around the house and chew our stuff up. I cant have him damage Donna's stuff. I really dont want to cage him. He should be free. But I cant have him live in the house. Besides I cant afford a cage.

I spent another hour trying to get him to leave me and stay on the back porch. He'd hop down, go a foot to explore then run back to me and climb back up. I finally sat him down and came inside. Too bad he beat me back in. I sat him out again on the back porch and closed the door. He came to the door and paced back and forth upset kept trying to come in. Felt bad for him but its enclosed and not outside and tons of stuff to play on or hide in. But I dont think he'll stay. Not sure what to do.

Anyways heres a couple pics. First is the Musketeers at about 1 1/2 weeks old. They had grown a good bit by then. But the 2nd is Porthos a couple days before releasing him outside. Should have known he was too much a pet. At 2 weeks he really started getting big. This morn Id say he is the same size or a tad larger. I keep watching my bedroom door because I figure he'll find a way off the back porch back in lol.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: My rat dilemma

Post by Daehawk »

He didn't stay. I finally fixed up his garage place and sat him there. He was eating when I left. I started thinking how he woke me up wit ha whisker kiss and how excited he was to find me after nearly 2 weeks. It then struck he was so comfortable with me after finding me he sat on my should and cleaned his little face up. I realized I shouldn't have stuck him back out he was so happy. I went back to get him 5 min later and I cant find him again. Ive looked and called him for an hour and a half. Not giving up. Ive brought his box in and its all cleaned and fixed for him. If I can find him ill just keep him as the pet he seems to be. Ill find hi ma big cage to run in and Ill take him out a lot to let him hang with me. But I may not find him...shit I feel bad. Stupid me made yet another wrong decision.
morlac

Post by morlac »

If it was meant to be he will come back. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I know nothing about domesticating rats, but it may be that he got old enough for his natural instincts to kick in. He found his rat confidence and struck out on his own as nature intended.

If that's not it, he'll probably be back. It's up to him, really.

Either way, don't take it personally. Rats haven't evolved to bond with us, so it's not like you failed him.

(BTW, you're sure it's a he? If not, you'd better get used to taking care of babies.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wonder if this is how the Bubonic Plague started? :mrgreen:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, white rats are semi-domesticated...wild rats, not at all. They reach sexual maturity about 10 minutes after they're born, so it probably struck out to do the wild thing. Knowing that it's welcome in your home, you'll probably be hosting a large family before you know it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My office is currently in the middle of a rat infestation. They have been seen popping out of garbage cans and coming up from the raised flooring. Needless to say they are not popular rats.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like you found a Rat Friend rather than a Rat Fiend ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I had to make sure this wasn't an Onion article.

You should call it Ben-

Don't feel bad Daehawk, you did right by it and it probably wouldn't even be alive except for you.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Porthos is back! I looked from 8am to after midnight yesterday and did the same today ..nothing. Not a sound . Around 11:30 tonight me and Buster our 4 lbs chihuahua hit the kitchen and I turned on the light and there he was not a foot from Buster. He hadn't seen him and then barked when he did. Porthos hid. I set B back in the bedroom and called but Porthos was a bit timid. I sat down and he slowly walked out. Until then I wasn't sure it wasn't just another rat. He climbed a chair and I put my hand out and he climbed right in. Knew it was him then. We've played until a bit ago. I fixed his box up and left him in it. He jumped trying to leave for 10 min. I went and put my hand in and he climbed all the way to my shoulder so I walked here to the pc. He fell straight asleep on my shoulder. He's still there. Buster is in my lap. Porthos had ate some bread and milk. Loves those two items. Guess he is tuckered. Guess Ill find a super cheap cage on Facebook Marketplace if its big...not sure what else to do he is just a little spoiled Id reckon 😛
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I put him to bed at around midnight and checked him a couple times before I went to bed at 1:30am or so. He was sleeping. At 5:50am I wake up to him cuddling up to my neck. He ate a hole in his box and walked across the entire house to climb back in bed with me. Was tempted to just leave him but got up and took the dog food bag out of my metal garbage can and fixed him a home in the can. . Ive looked online for a cage and nothing cheap or close. Ill check again today.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Love hearing these stories, Dae. :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

rats are pretty awesome
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I knew a woman in college who had a pet one (a white one? so domesticated?). She pretty much always carried it. It was pretty unnerving to be talking to her and have her breast suddenly start moving. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:18 pm rats are pretty awesome
That's what the bubonic plague also thought :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tonight I sat him on my shoulder and played TF2 for a while. He was sound asleep the entire time. he seems most contented when he is with me. I tried not to spend any time with him when I was raising him hoping he'd be a wild little rat. But it seems he it a total daddy's boy. Also somehow he has not peed on me yet. Im surprised.
morlac

Post by morlac »

My buddy had a pet rat in college and many a night we played Bill Wash CFB on Genesis with Willy perched on one of our shoulders. Totally enjoying reading about your new friend.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I'd say he loves you so keep him.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He helped me eat a piece of bread just now. He just sits on my shoulder and I can hear him chewing his food. When he isn't eating I sometimes hear him making a clicking sound. Online says thats rat for happiness or contentment. Glad he is happy. Little guy licked me yesterday. I went to give him a smooch and he looked up and SlUUuurp. Figure either Im ok or Ill die of some strange disease.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am I'd say he loves you so keep him.
Just remember that it's a rat. So if it runs off or gets taken out by a neighborhood terrier it's just a rat.

BTW, when I was a kid we had mice in an out building. My dad killed the mice but when I was cleaning up I found a nest with babies. I took them out and built a nest in an old tree stump without telling anyone. My dad eventually found it, I was like 9 and not great at sneaking around. He had this weird reaction, he was pissed that I was harboring mice but proud that I didn't want the babies to suffer. So I got a similarly ambivalent treatment. I didn't get punished or have to kill them but they were gone when I woke up the next day.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont like rats and mice because they chew up everything. I actively kill them and set traps and used to use poison. I actually had to unset all the traps I have when Porthos got out one night weeks ago. Now I have to leave them unset. If there was another one here id try to kill it lol...but Porthos is different.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 am Just remember that it's a rat. So if it runs off or gets taken out by a neighborhood terrier it's just a rat.
Every pet is just a [_____], or else none of them are just a [____].
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:53 am Leptospirosis
Jesus, thank you!

I'm surprised you were able to hold back so long.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 am Just remember that it's a rat. So if it runs off or gets taken out by a neighborhood terrier it's just a rat.
Yea, I am confused with this logic, unless you think that rats just can't be pets. I had a wild pet chipmunk, a wild turtle pet, 2 stray dogs that became pets and about 4 stay cats that became pets growing up. As soon as I domesticated them they became pets and I would have been just as heartbroken losing them as if I had bought them at a pet store.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

morlac wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm
Yea, I am confused with this logic, unless you think that rats just can't be pets. I had a wild pet chipmunk, a wild turtle pet, 2 stray dogs that became pets and about 4 stay cats that became pets growing up. As soon as I domesticated them they became pets and I would have been just as heartbroken losing them as if I had bought them at a pet store.
A rat is not a dog. A rat can be a great pet but there is definitely a hierarchy.

I can understand being heartbroken at the loss of any pet but when you adopt a rat, it's good to recognize it for what it is. I mean when I was a kid I was heartbroken when I lost a favorite stuffed animal. It was still just a mass produced textile product.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:43 pm there is definitely a hierarchy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Poor little rats only live about 2 years thats my concern.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

All animals want to avoid pain, but I don't think they are aware of their own mortality. And a lot of people eat rabbits.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then there's horse meat.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

According to that sign, Golden Retrievers taste better than Bulldogs.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Whether insects should be considered vegetarian or not comes down to a personal choice. “It’s a very emotionally-charged topic,” Greg said, “so we don’t try to convince vegans or vegetarians that they should be eating bugs. It’s a personal decision.”

I'm a vegetarian that chooses to eat bugs. Along with some beef and chicken and pork and fish.

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Yeah, that lines needs to be moved one notch to the left to be accurate. If you eat rabbits you have a hole in your soul and hate beautiful creatures.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm Yeah, that lines needs to be moved one notch to the left to be accurate. If you eat rabbits you have a hole in your soul and hate beautiful creatures.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm Yeah, that lines needs to be moved one notch to the left to be accurate. If you eat rabbits you have a hole in your soul and hate beautiful creatures.
It's important to note that the horse is currently right on the line of Pet -> Food. Which is appropriate because they are often petfood.

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

as a vegetarian, i moved my line up to include insects, but 'insectivore' isn't a real word is it? the term i read is 'entomophage' but no one knows what that is.

it bothers me when people say they're vegetarian but they also eat fish and/or ... poultry. that makes no sense. (vegetable + fish eating = pescatarian. vegetable + chicken = omnivore, come on.)

anyways, pondering the hierarchy is basically a continuing mental and ethical exercise for me. i do like spiders, so i would not eat those. i thought about if i should now include shrimp and other water-dwelling shelled creatures (giant sea bugs!). oysters are probably ok? they don't have a central nervous system.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It's OK to eat fish...because...they don't have any feee-lings...

I could never eat a rabbit because I have known and loved a couple. I could totally eat a horse because they've always been assholes to me.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:01 pm
It's important to note that the horse is currently right on the line of Pet -> Food. Which is appropriate because they are often petfood.
:clap:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:53 am Leptospirosis
It says they're perfectly fine swapping spit, they just can't swap piss and scat. :wink:
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:34 pm I could never eat a rabbit because I have known and loved a couple.
Rabbit is delicious. :mrgreen:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO