Headhunter in Oklahoma

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

sissyc

Headhunter in Oklahoma

Post by sissyc »

I am considering moving back to Oklahoma (Tulsa). I have just finished my BSBA in Management Information Systems.

Do any of you OO's know of
(A) a major company that will hire new graduates in MIS or
(B) a headhunter who specializes in this area
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd say "screw that. Come here and live in Michigan." But then I remembered two things. 1) The job outlook here sucks in Michigan and 2) as a Floridian, you'd hate the weather.

Enjoy Oaklahoma :)
sissyc

Post by sissyc »

LordMortis - You're right about the outlook there! Don't think there are any good opportunities there right now worth moving for.

I am not a native Floridian by any means. I grew up in Oklahoma and long to return to the land of 4 seasons!!!
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Sissy,

I do happen to have a couple of friends that specialize in that very area. I don't have their work work numbers right in front of me, and I believe they are currently out of town. I think they get back on Friday.

Just as an FYI, the market isn't exactly booming here right now. And, as you probably remember, salaries here are a little lower than the average. But, housing costs, especially in Tulsa, aren't exactly cheap anymore.

As soon as they get back in town, I'll get their office numbers.

BTW - How's the shoulder? All done with rehab? Hope it went well.
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
sissyc

Post by sissyc »

I appreciate the info Spiff! I know the market isn't that great there right now. But, it is even worse here...There has never really been a 'tech world' here in the panhandle. Being here is like taking a step back in time! Since this is considered a 'tourist' area, the only opportunities lie in service which equates to minimum wage jobs! I am eager to begin working in MIS or at least in the business world. I guess my goals are twofold - gaining experience and moving closer to family.

It has been over a year since my shoulder surgery and I couldn't be more pleased with its success. I have been able to participate in more physical activities without the fear that my arm will fall off! I do have some limited range of motion, which was to be expected considering the type of repair that was done. But at least now my limits are not due to pain! Since I have been more physically active I have lost a substantial amount of weight - not sure of the amount as I don't weigh myself, I am just basing this on the fact that I have gone from a size 12 to a size 8! I HAD to go shopping recently for some new clothes since mine were literally falling off of me - and it was a very satisfying experience. I'm not blaming the fact that I had 'blossomed' to a size 12 entirely on the fact that my shoulder was defunct but it was certainly a contributing factor.

A more succint answer to your question - everything went well and I feel I have made a full recovery. Thanks for your interest.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I graduated with a Finance/MIS (I double majored) degree.

I live in Seattle.

Right out of college I worked as a Claims Customer Service Representative, in a call center. I was the only one in my group with a college degree. I did that for about a year and a half before I managed to get another job within the company. Now I'm doing financial/claims analysis work. It's not THAT tech related (mostly I just do database stuff), but it's a good challenge and I have window through which I can see the space needle.

I don't know about Tulsa, but here in tech-loving Seattle, it's hurting pretty bad. Sounds like Spiff is going to hook you up though, so good luck.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

You might want to consider moving a bit farthen south than Tulsa, to Dallas. The IT market here is one of the healthier in the country (despite the on going collapse of EDS). There are a million companies that have their world headquarters here (Pizza Hut, JCPenney, CompUSA, EDS, Perot Systems (my new employer), Texas Instruments). Plus there are large Frito Lay and IBM campuses here.

I was recently laid off and was able to find a new job in IT almost immediately.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
jaskerr

Post by jaskerr »

Spiff wrote:But, housing costs, especially in Tulsa, aren't exactly cheap anymore.
You're saying that backwards...right? As a native Oklahamoeon, I know for a fact that the housing market in Oklahoma is a lot cheaper than the majority of the country.

You'll make less money salary wise, but you can still get a nice house for a good price.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I live around Fayetteville Arkansas. I know the area around here is a boom town.Wether in your field or not I couldn't say but a number of large companies have moved into the area and there has been major grow over the last 15 years or so. Housing prices have doubled but are probably still cheaper than most of the country with a median priced house around $150,000 but can be found cheaper without too much looking. Tulsa in about 100 miles away.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

jaskerr wrote:
Spiff wrote:But, housing costs, especially in Tulsa, aren't exactly cheap anymore.
You're saying that backwards...right? As a native Oklahamoeon, I know for a fact that the housing market in Oklahoma is a lot cheaper than the majority of the country.

You'll make less money salary wise, but you can still get a nice house for a good price.
No, I'm not saying it backwards.

I moved to Dallas from OKC in 1990. Salaries were alot better at the time. Moved back to OKC in 1996 after our oldest daughter turned 5, becuase my wife wanted to be closer to her family.

The difference in housing costs was around 5-8%, but the differences in salaries was about 11%. That doesn't take into account the state income tax in Oklahoma that's absent from Texas. Property taxes don't make up the difference from OK to Texas either. So, all, in all, it's not quite as cheap to live here than some may think. Compared to Seattle, Portland, LA, Atlanta, Miami, DC, etc, yeah it's cheap, but salaries are cheaper.
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

You could always try Huntsville
http://www.b17.com/family/lwp/huntsville/employers.html

Friendly people, affordable housing, low taxes. Rank amongs the best places to live in the US. Top 10 Highest average income in the SE. And limited amount of rednecks. :lol: A lot of diversity in the population due to all the high tech jobs.
sissyc

Post by sissyc »

I agree that the cost of housing in Tulsa, and in Oklahoma in general, is not very cheap compared to many places in the U.S. but compared to the panhandle of Florida - it's not so bad. Wages in OK are also not as good compared to many parts of the U.S. but they are MUCH better than here!
jaskerr

Post by jaskerr »

Yeah, forgot about the whole State Sales Tax thing. That only applied to me when I was working in high school/college jobs so it didn't affect me much.

And I'm comparing the housing costs in Oklahoma to the housing costs here in Houston which should be pretty close to what you had in Dallas. Talking to all my friends and family back in OK, I know that they've got it better as far as how much house you're getting for your money. I guess that was the point that I was trying to make, that you're definitely paying less per square foot for a house there than you would in a LOT of places around the country.

Just pulled this data from MSN Compare Cities:

House median value: OKC $89,800; Houston $95,700; National Average $134,100
Home appreciation: OKC 0%; Houston 6.82%; National Average 4.83%
Property tax (per $1,000 of home value): OKC $10.60; Houston $26.30; National Average $16.40

So there :P
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

SuperHiro wrote:I graduated with a Finance/MIS (I double majored) degree.

I live in Seattle.

Right out of college I worked as a Claims Customer Service Representative, in a call center. I was the only one in my group with a college degree. I did that for about a year and a half before I managed to get another job within the company. Now I'm doing financial/claims analysis work. It's not THAT tech related (mostly I just do database stuff), but it's a good challenge and I have window through which I can see the space needle.

I don't know about Tulsa, but here in tech-loving Seattle, it's hurting pretty bad. Sounds like Spiff is going to hook you up though, so good luck.
Hey we do similar things. 'Cept my degree is in English Literature.
sissyc

Post by sissyc »

Isn't it funny!?
Just shows that what your degree in is sometimes not important.
Not that it is not important to get a degree mind you...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exact same story here, except my "specialty" would be more logistics oriented and my degree is Philo/Lit/Eng/Comm/Edu.