Pet stories: sometimes happy, sometimes sad

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one

Post by Isgrimnur »

;)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last week Warren had an Exorcist-level barfing event, and since then his appetite has diminished and he's lost some weight. When he can be enticed to eat, he often garfs it up some hours later. Barfing is a problem for kitties on oral medication, so I'm going to move his blood work up and get him checked out later this week.

I've been avoiding veterinary care because (1) he's on an experimental black-market drug for a disease that the vet says is invariably fatal, which kinda screws up their ability to diagnose anything, and (2) thanks to covid, all vet appointments are done via phone calls from the parking lot. Under these very complicated circumstances, and with my personal phone-phobia, that's ungood. To ensure proper care, I need to be in the room during the exam, and that ain't happening.

His behavior and alertness are still good so I'm hoping this is just a blip in his recovery. There are lots of non-FIP, non-serious reasons that an animal can have digestive problems.

This is Warren, btw.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Albino? Albino seem to always have problems.
Best of luck to your little pal.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nope, not albino.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cute little guy. Hope he gets past any hiccups and turns out fine.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Warren looks adorable. I hope he does okay. I've seen the mess cats can make and it can be hard to believe what comes out of them.

My Boxer is still working on "loopy" from her meds. Over the weekend she was out with us and really wanted to play. Running around the yard? She looks sluggish and a little uncoordinated. She even took a digger when she missed a step, but got right back up like nothing happened. Still no more seizures, though, so we've got that. I'm hoping she adjusts to the medication soon and gets back to her normal self.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren just got home from his 60-day blood test. It's actually Day 66/84, but close enough. The purpose is to see how he's progressing and whether we can end his treatment on Day 84, or if we need to increase his dosage and/or dose before then. We'll get the results on Monday and I hope to have the FIP Warriors' evaluation on Tuesday (Day 70).

We increased his dose to 5 pills/day yesterday. He weighed in at 8.8 lbs today -- exactly at the 4kg weight that we're treating -- and he's up from 6.0 when this started. I also placed what I hope will be the last order for GS441. If his blood is clean and he doesn't gain much more weight, I'll soon have exactly enough pills to reach Day 84. I haven't got the bill for those yet, but I think I'll have spent almost exactly $3,000 on the pills alone. There have been approx. $1,000 in vet bills on top of that, and we'll probably need another $250 blood panel when we reach the end.

If he's cured, it was worth it. If he isn't, well...I guess we just keep plugging along. He appears completely healthy.

Going to our regular official vet for a blood draw that we're going to report to our unofficial internet vet was kind of weird, but the official vet can't treat FIP and so has only a supporting role. Consulting with her on Monday will be interesting; the last time she saw Warren, I don't think she expected to ever see him again.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 pm
Going to our regular official vet for a blood draw that we're going to report to our unofficial internet vet was kind of weird, but the official vet can't treat FIP and so has only a supporting role. Consulting with her on Monday will be interesting; the last time she saw Warren, I don't think she expected to ever see him again.
First, I am so happy for you and for Warren - even if it's just 'time bought', and obviously if this is indeed Warren's cure.

2nd, I look forward to your next (post official vet consultation) update, to hear about how amazed she will be. Hopefully, in some way - it will help lead to this treatment being available to her.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:26 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 pm
First, I am so happy for you and for Warren - even if it's just 'time bought', and obviously if this is indeed Warren's cure.

2nd, I look forward to your next (post official vet consultation) update, to hear about how amazed she will be. Hopefully, in some way - it will help lead to this treatment being available to her.
Well, to briefly touch upon pharma politics, either GS or remdesivir (they're basically the same) will almost surely be available for off-label use after the pandemic. Meanwhile, Gilead is rumored to be studying GS again for Covid-19, and in the past month the FIP Warriors group has been shut down twice. Gilead only abandoned GS in the first place because it wouldn't be as profitable as remdesivir due to a shorter patent exclusivity. Given how dramatically it works against FeCoV, they're said to be quietly taking another look at it for SARS-CoV-2, and if they decide to move ahead they do NOT want cat data to complicate the approval process, or anyone importing it from black-market sources.

At least, that's the speculation in the FIP Warriors forum. The admins aren't saying anything, but have put some strict rules in place about mentioning brand names or even referring to GS openly. Basically, as soon as someone finds the public group, they get moved into a private group where they can talk freely. It's the public-facing intake group that keeps getting shut down, and we think Gilead is behind that (although it could just be disgruntled "customers" whose cats died).

Regardless of how much of this is true, we were fortunate to fall into the narrow time frame when the drug is available. It's only been around for a year, and it could soon disappear or become even more expensive.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Voicemail from the vet: "I was thrilled to hear that Warren's doing well and I see that he's gained weight and that's really great news. His blood work looks quite good. Only thing that's abnormal is that his phosphorus is a little high and they are seeing some toxic changes on his neutrophils*. I don't have a familiarity, obviously, with the drug to know if those are things we expect to see or not, but I will send the labwork your way so you can forward it on to people who know more about this drug than I do. Like I said, I'm just delighted that he's doing so well."

Waiting for the PDFs now so that I can see what the FIP Warriors vets have to say about them.

*[a type of white blood cell that helps heal damaged tissues and resolve infections. Neutrophil blood levels increase naturally in response to infections, injuries, and other types of stress. They may decrease in response to severe or chronic infections, drug treatments, and genetic conditions.] This was slightly elevated in his original FIP blood tests, before we started treatment.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Go Team Warren!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Speaking of pharma politics (as I did a couple of posts ago): The group that's helping me is FIP Warriors. It turns out that there's a competing group called FIP Fighters that's run by the makers of Mutian, the most prevalent and most expensive of the GS drugs on the market. Today my admin made this post in FIP Warriors:
The hateful and untrue post made by a Mutian rep today in the two Mutian-owned Facebook groups about Warriors is an unfortunate outcome of an apparently competitive situation. No one in Warriors takes a retainer fee and no one has ever taken a commission for a vial sold by someone else. The claims of covering for a seller who was killing cats? Absurd! We have done our very best to protect all cats ever treated in this group. Our admins have paid hundreds if not thousands out of pocket to cover shipping from China, packing supplies, and to help cats who couldn't get help otherwise. We are all volunteers, not employees of a big pharma company and we take accountability VERY seriously. If you have ANY questions or concerns about the rumors Mutian is spreading, please contact your Warrior admin.
Turns out I was lucky to have found the right group in the first place.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sounding good.

But if he's not really cured, points to that cat for one heck of fake out! Hope he can keep it up. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren passed his physical today with flying colors. The vet investigated all of my concerns and pronounced him "perfectly healthy." Heart, lungs, and kidneys all good, no fluid in his abdomen, and the mystery mass is undetectable. She even did a quick pass with the ultrasound wand (free of charge) to make sure. She added that she was "blown away" because she's been telling people for 26 years that FIP is fatal, and she has NEVER seen a cat recover from it, much less be fully cured. I encouraged her to join the FIP Warriors and learn more about it, and she seemed genuinely motivated to do so. "This is a real game-changer," she said, and thanked me for going through with the treatment and keeping her informed.

So, we have five more days of treatment to reach the magic Day 84. Then we go into 84 days of observation, watching closely for any signs of relapse. Relapse is unlikely in a case like Warren's that went without complications or setbacks. If he does relapse, it will almost surely be in the first 2-3 weeks. After 12 weeks he's officially cured and, finally, I can relax about his health.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Let's hope she has a long healthy life. You can bury her in your sarcophagus with you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:15 pm Warren passed his physical today with flying colors. The vet investigated all of my concerns and pronounced him "perfectly healthy." Heart, lungs, and kidneys all good, no fluid in his abdomen, and the mystery mass is undetectable. She even did a quick pass with the ultrasound wand (free of charge) to make sure. She added that she was "blown away" because she's been telling people for 26 years that FIP is fatal, and she has NEVER seen a cat recover from it, much less be fully cured. I encouraged her to join the FIP Warriors and learn more about it, and she seemed genuinely motivated to do so. "This is a real game-changer," she said, and thanked me for going through with the treatment and keeping her informed.

So, we have five more days of treatment to reach the magic Day 84. Then we go into 84 days of observation, watching closely for any signs of relapse. Relapse is unlikely in a case like Warren's that went without complications or setbacks. If he does relapse, it will almost surely be in the first 2-3 weeks. After 12 weeks he's officially cured and, finally, I can relax about his health.
I read the first 2 words and my heart sunk... Glad I kept going :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
dfs

Post by dfs »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:15 pm After 12 weeks he's officially cured and, finally, I can relax about his health.
That will be a good day.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm glad your kitty is doing well.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Excellent! I can't imagine this amazing cat letting us all down at this point. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:55 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:15 pm Warren passed
:lol: Sorry about that...I never use "passed" as a euphemism for "died" so that didn't occur to me. In reposts, I changed it to "Warren aced his physical".

Y'know which euphemism gets my goat? "Crossed the rainbow bridge." :barf:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:11 am
But how else shall our pets get to Asgard, and thus to Valhalla, to drink bowls of honey mead with Odhin until the end of days?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:11 am
naednek wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:55 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:15 pm Warren passed
:lol: Sorry about that...I never use "passed" as a euphemism for "died" so that didn't occur to me. In reposts, I changed it to "Warren aced his physical".

My dad, whom I love dearly, has never been good in the era of typing. In the early aughts, his emails were regularly passed among friends to make what-was-the-original-autocorrected-word-supposed-to-be a team sport. We all loved it. In the era of phone texting, spelling errors were maintained but punctuation (and therefore capitalization) was completely randomized. One of the family's favorite texts from Dad was a message he sent to me, in regards to my brother Matt:
Matt passed. Kidney stone. Weather was 78* yesterday. Golfed.an 81.
The "Matt passed." text opener has been reused nearly an infinite number of times to great effect. When I tell the story verbally, I use the fact that the transition of my brother dying into weather and golf scores as a key indicator that my original horror was probably not warranted. The reality is that I did freak the f out for about a half a second before digesting the rest of the message.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Condolences on the brother. Dying or passing a kidney stone are about the same sometimes :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:09 pm Condolences on the brother. Dying or passing a kidney stone are about the same sometimes :)
I wouldn't call them about the same, but sometimes I think death might be the more enjoyable of the two.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ran out of urine once when it was in my penis. Fun times. Felt like a wasp in there until I built up enough urine to get it out.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Gak! Can we get back to talking about Warren?

I had the same reaction as Naednek. Glad to hear he's doing okay.

I know it's supposed to comfort people, but that whole Rainbow Bridge story is yuck.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Graduation Day! Now begins 12 weeks of observation.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:wub:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:dance:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That darn cat!

Congrats to all. Hope he got some sardines :) ...in water of course.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For the past 12 weeks, my daily schedule has revolved around this: 4:45 p.m. feed the cat; 5 p.m. withdraw the cat's food*; 6 p.m. drop five pills down his gullet; 6:30 p.m. feed the cat. It only takes a minute to give him the pills, but the ritual lasts almost two hours.

*5 p.m. is also Kraken's daily nap time, and Warren usually curls up with me...which blunts the trauma of taking away his food dish. He hates seeing his food go away more than he hates the pills.

That wasn't a hardship since Wife and I are home literally all the time, and I control my own work/chores schedule. With Wife's reliable help, pilling the cat was super easy. And yet, not having to do it anymore is liberating.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to wishing him and you a happy new year.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I hope it's appropriate to share this here; most of this thread has been about Kraken's furry family, but I see some community updates and creating my own thread felt like too much. I hate to post sad news, especially when many are likely visiting this thread for positive updates about Warren right now... but I wanted to share some feelings and Facebook didn't seem like the right place.

Unfortunately, we had to have our kitty Isaac put to sleep today.

Enlarge Image

He was 13 or so. Mrs. Nym and I got him and his late stepbrother Hopkins from the local animal services during our first year of marriage. We soon added a little sister Isabella who's still with us. Isaac was small for a boy; we always assumed he was a runt. We formed a special bond from the very first day; I remember coaxing him out from his hiding spot under a chair in the middle of the night. Early on, I remember one time he bit into my scalp while we were in bed, and actually chewed off some of my hair. Throughout his life he liked to hop on my chest and lie down, digging his claws into my chest.

He seemed insecure, always begging for attention. But he hated being constrained and would claw your face off if you tried to hold him for more than an instant. He would run across the room and butt in if another cat was getting love, or if you just inadvertently dangled a hand. He was extremely talkative, always trilling when touched or wanting to be noticed. Unlike most of the cats I've known who are "afraid of feet" and will scramble away to keep from being stepped on, Isaac owned his lounging spots and wouldn't budge for any foot traffic. He would constantly beg for wet food even when he'd just been fed. He licked every plastic bag he could find, especially when we were trying to sleep. He was often a little jerk. But he was always my little buddy.

He'd been suffering digestive issues and weight loss for some time, but a week ago he took a turn for the worse. The vet performed a full battery of tests, but the prognosis was grim. I miss him very much, and everything I see is a reminder of him right now. It seems like just yesterday we met, and I've been pondering and dreading this day ever since. But he'll be in my memory forever, and I'm relieved he's at peace now.

I knew you guys would understand how special he was to me.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m sorry for your loss. There’s never enough time.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am sad for you. :cry:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So sorry for your loss. It really is never enough time. Sorta like this me and my wife got a little Chihuahua just over a year after we met. We were the 3 amigos we always joked. He was almost 19 when he passed. So I know how it is with the little ones like this.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks so much guys... I will now attempt to lighten to mood by sharing some of the funniest stories of our furry family's existence.

Isaac's late stepbrother Hopkins was a shy, stoic alpha with tiniest, most pitiful meow. Domestic black longhair with a tiny tuft of white on his chest. That's why we thought to name him Hopkins... after Anthony Hopkins's butler character in the film adaptation of The Remains of the Day. Once, we heard him rustling beneath the bed. Moments later he shot out like a bat out of hell and ran to the other end of the house, and back again. He'd gotten a plastic bag stuck around his waist and was evidently convinced it was chasing him, terrified that he wasn't able to outrun it. He ran the length of our apartment a few times before I could catch and free him.

Isabella, their younger stepsister, is a dilute longhaired calico. She is the fluffiest thing I've ever seen to the extent that she gets strands of her mane stuck in her mouth and struggles amusingly to get them out. (As a moustache/beard-wearer, I can relate.) One of her traits is that she's quite timid and gentle. Her claws rarely come out, if ever. She will bite if she's displeased, but they're such soft bites they barely tickle. I always said Isaac wouldn't survive in the wild because he'd take affection from anyone and be liable to jump in a stranger's car. In Bella's case, it's because of her seemingly instinctual learned helplessness. She'll avoid you at all costs if she's not in the mood for affection, but once you've got a hold of her, that's it. She accepts her life is likely over and just gives up. We often compare her to a rabbit, and I joke she must be part Ragdoll (the breed specifically bred to go limp when picked up).

Well, not long after getting her we still had blinds on the window. Somehow, she got a leg wrapped in the drawstring and fell, dangling, a little whirlwind of pain and confusion. Thank goodness we were home at the time. I immediately grabbed her to support her weight so she didn't break her leg trying to get free. But loosening the string was not an option. Mrs. Nym made the brave sacrifice of holding her as I went for the scissors. This was the one time the claws came out. She was soon rescued, but probably spent the rest of the day recuperating in the shadows.

And then, of course, there's the time Isaac got up into the drop ceiling and came crashing down with a tile onto the LCD television.... :shock:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Re: Another sad pet story

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: No, we have them cremated. Wife insisted on burying Iggy's ashes so he would have a grave. I didn't like that idea because Iggy was such a free spirit that scattering them felt more appropriate, but...whatever. It mattered more to her than it did to me. I don't have strong feelings about ashes and dust. I did talk her into scattering Gus, though.
Felt like replying to this; I missed it back on page two. My family had cats growing up, probably from when I was eight until I was fourteen. But they were exclusively outdoor critters... we lived in rural areas at the time. If I'd known what I know now, I would have had a problem with this (especially as we didn't get them fixed), but I was a kid. And, this was normal for my dad growing up. We gave them a ton of love and cared for them, but they were animals. When we moved back to the city we rehomed them on a farm. But obviously, in this situation, you become comfortable with death to an extent. We lost one to a car, another to a wolf or unleashed dog, etc. While it was always extremely sad, the experience was probably good for me.

When Mrs. Nym and I got our three kitties after getting married, they were indoor-only and it was a whole different scenario. (We actually had another we adopted in her home state and never got around to immigrating back to Canada. She died early, sadly. Thanks for taking care of her, Mom-in-law; we don't deserve you.)

When Hopkins passed three years ago, the vet asked us if we wanted the ashes. I was like, "Uh, I don't think so... right honey?" Well, it turns out Mrs. Nym did want the ashes lol. So, we have a little frame containing Hopkins's mortal remains with a clay mold of his paw and a photo on the front. I totally understand why a physical memento is helpful to some. I just come from a practical mindset--the life is gone, what do I want with shadows and dust? We'll always have them in our memories. Also, I'm a little concerned about our home becoming a kitty mausoleum as we age lol.

If Isaac had left us naturally, I had thought to ask my folks if we could bury him on their property. Burial in general also freaks me out (I don't think I want to be buried, but I also want those I leave behind to be content with that decision), but it is traditional for our family, and our culture, so there's some comfort in it. Conversing with a grave seems normal... I don't think I'd do so with an urn of ashes except in jest. Of course, I don't know if we'll be keeping the family home when my parents eventually go. (Not at all soon I hope, but worth taking into consideration.) Anyway, as this was handled by the vet clinic we wound up getting Isaac a little urn with a spot for a photo and separate clay paw mold. I only want what makes this easiest for Mrs. Nym. While Isaac was more "my" cat, Hopkins's loss affected her for months. I suspect when Isabella's time comes it will be even worse as they're so close.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So very sorry about Isaac, and glad that you posted those stories.

I never wanted my very own dead pets thread and welcome anyone to post here. Now that Warren's in observation, I don't intend to write any more progress reports unless things go south. I hope that my next post will say that we reached Day 84 again and he's officially cured. If we're confident that the coronavirus is gone, there might be another Christmas kitten in our future (albeit not until January). Warren wants constant attention and really needs a friend who can give it to him.