Pet stories: sometimes happy, sometimes sad

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Another sad pet story

Post by Kraken »

If you like watching vet videos, check out the Vancouver Vet on youtube. Dude looks like Pete Buttigieg, but he's more like the Mr Rogers of cats. He's even selling "squish that cat" merch.

Our vet founded the clinic that we've been going to for the past 25+ years. Although she's not up to speed on the black market FIP treatment, I've been sharing my own findings with her -- respectfuly, of course. I trust her advice over the Facebook group and Dr. Google. I tell her what they say and she diplomatically tells me when they're wrong, and I tell them what she says and they tell me why she's wrong. The FIP Warriors say that the test that came back negative is so unreliable that it's a waste of money. My vet disagrees. IDK who's right, but I do know who I trust.

FWIW Warren had a really good day today after a couple of not-so-good days. The good days encourage me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

May his days only improve from here. Go get'm Warren.

Now I have Werewolves of London in my head. Its on a cd in my car too :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren got his first dose of GS441 today. With encouragingly robust resistance, he took all three of his uncomfortably large $10 pills and kept them down – which was never a sure thing -- so we’re off to the races. Assuming he continues to tolerate his meds, we will know within the next two weeks (and probably within a few days) if he has FIP or not.

As strange as it feels to be rooting for a fatal disease, I’m actually hoping for FIP now. At least we will finally know what we’re facing, and we have an unsanctioned treatment in hand. If this drug doesn’t help, we’ll be right back at square one with no idea what really ails him.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After just three doses of GS411, Warren's doing dramatically better. He just tucked into his sixth bowl of cat food today, which I'm sure is more than he ate all last week. The more he eats, the stronger he gets. He was down to skin and bones and we were carrying him around more than he was walking. He might not have made it thru this weekend.

There's a long road ahead and it's riddled with potholes. He's still far from well. He might have other, underlying conditions. But I'm now sure that he has FIP, and we have a drug that can treat it. The full course will take 81 more days. If all goes well, that's followed by 84 days of observation and tests to make sure he doesn't relapse. Veterinary science has nothing for him, so this is all on me and the FIP Warriors...and the Chinese pharma industry, I guess. If he's still doing well on Monday, I'll order another month's supply of drugs.

Each dose is three pills at $9.50 apiece. Assuming again that he stays on script, the full 12 weeks will run $2,400. I'm fortunate that I can afford it. I saved all the money I made from Nvidia and the Boston Globe this spring, and now Nvidia wants to hire me again for a fall project...and probably winter and spring jobs after that. On top of my daily MIT assignments I'll be working more hours than I like to do, but I'll have more money than I need, and there's nothing I'd rather buy than Warren's health, if that's possible. Biology can always be a bitch.

For the first time, it feels like maybe 2020 is going to end.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Outstanding!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

AWESOME! About time we hear some good news from somewhere! Good job Warren, keep up the good fight. :)
dfs

Post by dfs »

Thank you for sharing the good news. 2020 has been short of good news.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So glad to hear some good news for a change. Congrats Warren.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm glad this thread didn't deliver!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:31 am I'm glad this thread didn't deliver!
If I gain enough confidence, I'll change the thread title.
Kraken

Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:44 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:31 am I'm glad this thread didn't deliver!
If I gain enough confidence, I'll change the thread title.
Did I just change the thread title? I used to know how to do that back when my brain worked better.

Today Warren is halfway through his GS441 treatment -- 6 weeks down, 6 to go -- and he's doing great. Kind of making up for his lost kittenhood, actually. He is a gleeful ball of demanding destruction. He gained so much weight (from 6 lbs to 7.2 lbs) that I had to increase his dose to 3.5 pills per day. And the pill splitter mangles these pills because they're so tiny, so I might just go up to 4 if there are no overdose concerns -- each attempt to split one yields two 1/3 tabs and some powder. He's probably going to blow past 8 lbs pretty soon anyway.

The pills are $11 apiece, so the difference between 3 and 4 per day over the next 42 days is nontrivial. For those keeping score, I have spent roughly $2,400 on the meds so far, and will probably need another $400 worth. With what I spent on vet bills before we started treating him, and the vet bills yet to come, I expect the bottom line to end up between $4,500-$5,000.

The next milestone is getting full bloodwork at Week 10. The last time I talked to my vet Warren was near death and she had nothing to offer. She is going to be shocked that he's not only still with us, but thriving. She'd heard of GS but had no experience with it, so I look forward to educating her. If the test results are clean, then after Day 84 we go into 84 days of observation, watching for relapse. I'm told this usually happens quickly if the coronavirus is still lurking. Then we test once more at the end of observation, and he's officially cured if all looks well then.

So...a long time and a lot of money yet to go, but it's going great so far. I'll update again when we reach those milestones.
Isgrimnur

Re: Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to hear that things are going well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is he immune after this?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 pm And the pill splitter mangles these pills because they're so tiny, so I might just go up to 4 if there are no overdose concerns -- each attempt to split one yields two 1/3 tabs and some powder. He's probably going to blow past 8 lbs pretty soon anyway.
Try using a decent pair of nail scissors instead. They can be much more effective than a pill splitter when you're dealing with smaller pills.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Awesome, a positive note to end the day. :)

Keep up the positive trend killer, you got this!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 am So is he immune after this?
Not immune, but reinfection is unlikely.

Most cats carry this coronavirus without getting ill. In a small portion, and usually when they're very young, the virus mutates into a form that their still-developing immune system can't handle. The GS drug prevents it from reproducing, and eventually (after 84 days in the only good clinical study that everything's based upon) it is cleared from the body. After that, a cat can get the coronavirus again, but the odds of it mutating again are very small. It's also possible for one cat to pass the mutated virus to another, but that doesn't happen often, and when it does it's usually among very young cats in close proximity.

However, if we stop treatment before the virus is completely cleared, it can come roaring right back. Their immune system isn't fighting it, the drug is.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:36 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 pm And the pill splitter mangles these pills because they're so tiny, so I might just go up to 4 if there are no overdose concerns -- each attempt to split one yields two 1/3 tabs and some powder. He's probably going to blow past 8 lbs pretty soon anyway.
Try using a decent pair of nail scissors instead. They can be much more effective than a pill splitter when you're dealing with smaller pills.
I'll try that tonight. These pills are so expensive that I don't like ruining any.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 am So is he immune after this?
Not immune, but reinfection is unlikely.

Most cats carry this coronavirus without getting ill. In a small portion, and usually when they're very young, the virus mutates into a form that their still-developing immune system can't handle. The GS drug prevents it from reproducing, and eventually (after 84 days in the only good clinical study that everything's based upon) it is cleared from the body. After that, a cat can get the coronavirus again, but the odds of it mutating again are very small. It's also possible for one cat to pass the mutated virus to another, but that doesn't happen often, and when it does it's usually among very young cats in close proximity.

However, if we stop treatment before the virus is completely cleared, it can come roaring right back. Their immune system isn't fighting it, the drug is.
Maybe now that he is older he can handle it if he ever did get it again. Just needed some time to get stronger. Hit him at a weak time. Good that he is doing great. Glad to hear it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We noticed yesterday that Ziggy Stardog hadn't been eating or drinking much over the last couple days and was even more mopey than usual. Our plan was to get her to the vet today to have them check on it, which was accelerated when we woke up to a pile of bloody vomit on the floor this morning.

Just got off the phone with the vet. It's likely one of two things:

1. Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Basically, their belly fills up with fluid and causes lots of issues. Severe dehydration, bloody vomit and stool, diarrhea, etc. Will require lots of IV fluids and some medication.
2. Blockage in her digestive tract. Would likely require surgery.

Vet said his immediate thought was HGE, but said they typically only see that in smaller dogs. Zig weighs 120 lbs, which is causing him to be more concerned about a blockage. She's never been a chewer though, so it would be really odd if she randomly decided to start eating things at 4 years old.

Poor girl is currently getting IV's, and they'll do blood work and x-rays today to see if they can figure out what's going on. Fingers are crossed that it doesn't end up being something even worse. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Coincidentally, we woke up to some Exorcist-level vomit piles this morning. Warren hasn't had digestive problems so I'm hoping this was a fluke. He does like to chew on dubious things (weeds, bugs, acorns...) when we take him out walking. Because of his disease and experimental treatment regime, though, I worry about every little anomaly.

Hope Ziggy's OK.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I hope your dog pulls through. I'd freak right the hell out if I woke up to bloody vomit. We'd be off to the Emergency Vet for a minimum $1000 visit.

I've recently had my own little pet scare. A couple weeks ago my dog had a seizure in the middle of the night. We woke up to her "galloping" in her bed. At first I thought it was funny - like an extreme doggie dream - but I was quickly concerned when I realized she was really sprinting, foaming at the mouth, and her eyes were open but no one was home. She came around after a couple minutes and spent the next few minutes staggering around and recovering. I read online that it's entirely possible for a dog to have one seizure and then never have another. I crossed my fingers.

A few days later she proved that wrong as we were outside and she started "galloping" in the grass. At first I thought it was vigorous rolling, but nope. Another seizure. I called the vet to make an appointment.

Before she could get to the vet she had two more, including one where she urinated inside the house while in her groggy/confused state. She hasn't made a mess inside since she was 12 weeks old.

The vet couldn't find an answer but gave us the option of seizure-control meds (complete with 3-week and then bi-yearly bloodwork to ensure it's not destroying her liver). We opted in, and since then she's been ... okay. Loopy and uncoordinated (as expected while she adjusts) but okay. No seizures. I'm hoping her bloodwork in a couple weeks comes back okay and she can adjust to our new normal.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm I hope your dog pulls through. I'd freak right the hell out if I woke up to bloody vomit. We'd be off to the Emergency Vet for a minimum $1000 visit.
I should probably clarify. We took her to the vet first thing this morning. Vet was calling with a diagnosis after her initial exam.

Guess I know where the work bonus will be going.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh yeah, all this pet care is ruinously expensive. I've spent all the extra money I earned in the spring, and now I'm spending a project that I haven't even completed yet.

If Warren's blood work at Day 70 comes up clean, we can stop treating him and go into the observation period on Day 84, and then I can start rebuilding my savings (I do have two more projects in the pipeline). (Today's Day 51.) If his blood looks wonky we have to increase the dose and go for another 4 weeks, followed by more testing. Best-case scenario, this is going to set me back around $4,000. But if it buys him a normal lifespan, it's completely worth it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

My dog decided to eat one of the caps of a Nebulizer vial that we give Ethan. We usually throw it away as soon as the meds are dispense and we think it must have bounced out when we threw it away. Erin caught him eating it and it was gone before we could do anything. It's about the size of a pinky fingernail, but what concerns me is on one edge it has two prongs that wraps around the stem of the vial. Vet said they don't recommend inducing vomiting as it could damage going up. So we wait. It's now 2 days in a half and he hasn't passed it. Took him to the vet, we're getting an xray but during the initial exam and the rectal exam she doesn't believe it's obstructed. We've been pumping him full of pumpkin to help things along. So for $350, and possibly more if surgery is needed.

This dog is cute, but he's fucking stupid.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what breed(s) is the dog? i could never own a dog that was an indiscriminate eater. that's a basement-level of intelligence i don't even want to deal with
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Happy to report that Ziggy is back home, and is feeling much better. They gave her an antibiotic, an anti-nausea, and a probiotic along with a day’s worth of IV fluids. She’s definitely getting back to normal, snarfing down an entire serving of chicken & rice in about 10 seconds. Fingers crossed for continued positive progression.

Damage wasn’t nearly as much as I expected. Came in just under a grand.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hitbyambulance wrote:what breed(s) is the dog? i could never own a dog that was an indiscriminate eater. that's a basement-level of intelligence i don't even want to deal with
Yorkshire poodle.

He's not happy being sedated Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm
hitbyambulance wrote:what breed(s) is the dog? i could never own a dog that was an indiscriminate eater. that's a basement-level of intelligence i don't even want to deal with
Yorkshire poodle.

what! poodles are like the second smartest dog. maybe it's primarily the Yorkie brain in this particular one...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What's the smartest?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Border Collie. but the whole list (and the 'tiers' thing and rationale) is interesting

https://www.sciencealert.com/smartest-d ... gence-pets
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm Happy to report that Ziggy is back home, and is feeling much better. They gave her an antibiotic, an anti-nausea, and a probiotic along with a day’s worth of IV fluids. She’s definitely getting back to normal, snarfing down an entire serving of chicken & rice in about 10 seconds. Fingers crossed for continued positive progression.

Normally prescribing an antibiotic and a probiotic to the same patient is considered poor practice.

IIRC
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chihuahua at 67? I call bullshit. Chi's are the smartest.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm Happy to report that Ziggy is back home, and is feeling much better. They gave her an antibiotic, an anti-nausea, and a probiotic along with a day’s worth of IV fluids. She’s definitely getting back to normal, snarfing down an entire serving of chicken & rice in about 10 seconds. Fingers crossed for continued positive progression.

Normally prescribing an antibiotic and a probiotic to the same patient is considered poor practice.

IIRC
Every pharmacy I go to now recommends a probiotic when taking an antibiotic because the antibiotic also kills the good bacteria (for humans, I assume the same for animals)
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I've been told the antibiotic just kills the probiotics.
You should take the probiotic after you complete the antibiotic prescription.

Not that it's a harm - but that you aren't doing the probiotics any favor.

BUT - you are right, I am seeing a lot of things online that say what you say as well, so /shrug - not sure I know what to put faith in.

$$$
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

the more I read - it sounds like the probiotic /antibiotic combo is mostly designed to curb the diarrhea effects of some antibiotic....

and - anecdotally, the information I was given was in the context of a topical antibiotic FOR the intestinal system, where the goal was specifically to kill of a 'bad' population of gut-bacteria.

I wonder if that's a special case, where you don't pair the two.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am Normally prescribing an antibiotic and a probiotic to the same patient is considered poor practice.

IIRC
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Glad to hear it. $1k is still an oof though.

I've got a cat today getting dental work done. $800-1000
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:41 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am Normally prescribing an antibiotic and a probiotic to the same patient is considered poor practice.

IIRC
I think my information is perhaps tied to treatment for IBS.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I thought that if you combined probiotics and antibiotics it creates a subspace irregularity.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!