2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm Student seating at my university was cattle call metal bleachers.
We didn't even have tickets where I went to school. But the rules proposed above are in the Big Show. SEC, and Alabama/Bryant-Denny no less.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mike Leach is a goddamn national treasure. His response when asked which Pac12 mascot would win in a fight.

My favorite: "You'd need one of those Harry Potter activists to kill the Sun Devil." :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"activists"

I never would have thought to use that word, but it's perfect.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

College football season starts for real for Utah tomorrow when they travel to USC.

I have no idea what to make of this game. As expected, Utah rolled through their OOC schedule with little issue...they've only lost 1 OOC game since joining the P12. While BYU looks to be a bit better than we thought, it's tough to take much of anything from the other games against NIU and Idaho State. We look pretty good, with Huntley being remarkably accurate (77%) and Zack Moss running like a beast. However, that's all been against lesser competition, and I have no idea if/how it'll hold up against a better team.

USC is a complete mystery. They barely snuck by Fresno, but games where the starting stud QB goes down for the season are tough to evaluate. The Stanford win initially looked really good, but last week showed that this is not the usual Stanford team so that might be fool's gold. USC looked pretty bad against BYU last week, but still nearly won the game. Utah was able to handle BYU pretty easily in the opener, and I'm hoping they can replicate that success tomorrow night. Helps that SC had a tough, physical overtime game, and Utah was able to rest all their starters after halftime.

On paper, Utah appears to be the much better team. However, while USC might be a cultural mess, their roster is still loaded with 4 or 5-star talent. If they find a way to flip the switch and put it together, they can be scary. They'll likely be playing for Helton's job, but I'm not sure if that's a motivator or de-motivator at this point. Add in the fact that Utah hasn't won at the Coliseum in over 100 years and the fact that last time we came in to LA highly ranked against an unranked USC we got trounced (Utah was #3 and got beat 48-24), and this game has me nervous as hell.

My guess is that Utah controls the ball, Moss runs for 150, and we come out with a 28-17'ish win. If the good Slovis shows up though...who knows what will happen.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Aaaaaaand...there goes the season. :( Utah had multiple chances to score and came away with no points, including a fumble on USC's 1 yard line right before half. Made SC's third stringer look like a god because we insisted on playing man-to-man the entire game. He was just tossing up jump balls and our supposedly great secondary was losing the battle again and again. SC simply has our number in LA...we can't beat them there.

I knew we were in trouble as soon as Moss went down, and I'm hearing he could miss as much as 6 weeks. Hate how things can go from top of the world to a complete shitshow in the space of one game. Oh well.

And did I mention 25 penalties between both teams, 15 on Utah? Penalties absolutely aren't the reason they lost, but good hell refs, let them play.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Utah just needs an offense. I only saw the second half and based on that Utah could have won, but they just didn't get the QB and line play they needed. Also, like Fresno State, you basically lost to a sub QB.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Fight on USC!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

God, Michigan.

First possession down 7 after the Badger's opening drive, break off a 60 yard pass. Have to call a time out to get the the next play in, put in a DLineman (former halfback with no touches this year) and he promptly fumbles it away. I'm not even going to make a big deal out of the fact that I called that fumble since 84% of people watching did as well.

So far 9 fumbles this year, 6 lost. Every opening drive has ended in a fumble lost.

And they cannot stop Wisconsin's run.

On the plus side, Patterson isn't the biggest disappointment today. Yet.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Is it the end of the line for Harbaugh?
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

If UT had a somewhat competent QB the score might be closer to 14-10.

At some point they have to make a change. Guarantano through 3.5 games has shown me zero reason to believe he can win. Dude is getting shown up by a Florida QB who hasn't started a game since his freshman year of HIGH SCHOOL!

I can only hope Harrison Bailey keeps his commitment to Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:48 pm
And they cannot stop Wisconsin's run.

Or the pass. Or the Dline. Or the Oline.

But they can stop me from wasting any more bandwith on this game. Huzzah!

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Michigan has never looked worse in a game. They have made the Badgers offense look potent, which takes some doing.

As for the targeting...the first one was stupid, the QB caused that as much as the defensive player. But the second one, that guy fit the rule.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:46 pm Michigan has never looked worse in a game. They have made the Badgers offense look potent, which takes some doing.

And this after the bye. They could very well.lose 5-6 games. Guess I have my Saturdays back.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hey, they are the first team to score against Wisconsin, that's something.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:57 pm Hey, they are the first team to score against Wisconsin, that's something.
True but scoring in garbage time when Camp Randall is celebrating a win is a very little something.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Is it the end of the line for Harbaugh?
I don't think so, but he needs to scrap the new offense like Bielema did a few years back at Wisconsin.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Fight on USC!
WTF? Now you root for 'SC? What happened to you?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:32 pm
Lorini wrote:Fight on USC!
WTF? Now you root for 'SC? What happened to you?
I root for LA teams, noting that I root for UCLA when they USC :D
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

End of the third quarter, and Wazzu's QB has thrown for 409 yards and 7 touchdowns. Granted, UCLA's defense is pretty bad (sorry Pyp), but still... :shock: Wazzu's defense still sucks though, as they're only up by 11, 49-38.

Not looking forward to playing that offense next week.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pac 12 after dark!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:27 am Pac 12 after dark!
Wazzu's QB's final line: 570 yards, 9 TD's...in a loss. 67-63 UCLA, that's crazy.

DTR didn't do so bad himself, going for 507 and 5 TDs.

Hell of a win for UCLA!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I missed watching the game!!!!! Whatever I was doing wasn't as good as seeing that game, sorry I forgot to turn on the TV.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After yesterday, the only Pac-12 team without a loss is (checks notes)...Cal. WTf? And they really should have lost to Ole Miss yesterday, were it not for bungled P12 officiating.

As always, this conference eats itself.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 am
Wazzu's QB's final line: 570 yards, 9 TD's...in a loss. 67-63 UCLA, that's crazy.

DTR didn't do so bad himself, going for 507 and 5 TDs.

Hell of a win for UCLA!
Woke up this am and saw the headline 'UCLA wins in stunning comeback!'. I thought for sure it was an article from 2003 or something. Because I knew there was absolutely no way they won their game last night; not when they were down 30+ points in the 3rd qtr.
But...wow. They did. Must have been a helluva 4th qtr; sorry I turned it off. 😕

Personally I think UM buys out Harbaugh at the end of the year, barring some kind of miracle run where they finish the season 9-0.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumors today that both Moss (RB) and Huntley (QB) could be out for 6-8 weeks.

I know injuries are just a part of the game, but...damn. :(
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Rumors today that both Moss (RB) and Huntley (QB) could be out for 6-8 weeks.

I know injuries are just a part of the game, but...damn. :(
That would suck. I hope it isn't the case. On the good news side, UW will destroy 'SC next weekend.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Local media and fans are carrying torches after the Wisconsin win over the Wolverines this weekend. This may be the loss too far for Harbaugh. Locally, they might have to start watching Lions games... Just in time to see the Chiefs come to town and crush them... Hey wait, I'm going to that game...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 am
That was worth 72.9 points in my college fantasy league. :shock:
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sports are dumb and I have no desire to discuss them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Then get out of the sports forum.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 am Sports are dumb and I have no desire to discuss them.
:mrgreen:

So what do you think about Michigan under Harbaugh. Do you think he is moving the team in the right direction? Do you think he has enough talent to make the Final Four? Is his job in jeopardy if this season is another disappointment?

I have been a huge Harbaugh fan since his days as a Chicago Bear, and thought he was the perfect hire for Michigan a few years ago. However, I'm now starting to wonder if Michigan might need an offensive mastermind like a Mike Leach or a Mike Gundy, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Some coaches, like Orgeron or Saban, were able to bring in a new system and change their fundamental philosophy on offense. But both made the move when they had a QB with Heisman-potential talent. On the other hand, Tommy Tubberville failed spectacularly at Auburn when he tried changing his stripes with a new spread offense. Which brings me to another question: With all the hot QB's transferring all over the place in recent years, why can't Harbaugh land a top-notch QB? Or am I being too harsh?

I'd really like to know what you think about the situation. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of Harbaugh this year regardless, but if next season shows them failing to beat Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State, I think it might be time for Harbaugh to go. And I never dreamed I would ever be saying that.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I don't know that much about Michigan football but I think Shea Patterson is one of the better qbs in college. by that I'd say he's a top 15-20 guy. Probably gets drafted too. They just need to move out of the stone age offensively.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I don't know that much about Michigan football but I think Shea Patterson is one of the better qbs in college. by that I'd say he's a top 15-20 guy. Probably gets drafted too. They just need to move out of the stone age offensively.
OR

-Hiccup
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GungHo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm I don't know that much about Michigan football but I think Shea Patterson is one of the better qbs in college. by that I'd say he's a top 15-20 guy. Probably gets drafted too. They just need to move out of the stone age offensively.
What gives you that impression about him? His inability to hold onto the ball or his inability to do well in big games (both of which predate his arrival at UM)?

I agree they need to run a better offense but he is not a top 15-20 guy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I said I didn't want to talk about it!

Fine, I'll talk about it.
Apollo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:00 pm So what do you think about Michigan under Harbaugh. Do you think he is moving the team in the right direction? Do you think he has enough talent to make the Final Four? Is his job in jeopardy if this season is another disappointment?
Man, I just don't know right now. I'm always hesitant to jump on an anti-coach bandwagon since I think most of those get started too early. Harbaugh's first four years might not have been unqualified successes, but they were far from nightmares. He was two inches away from a likely playoff bid in 2016 playing a 3 star QB he inherited from the prior regime (who knew very little about recruiting QBs, as it turned out). This year the defense lost a lot to the NFL, so some backsliding is to be expected. The problem with the previous teams seemed to be the offense, so when everything got changed up this year, there was palpable excitement. For whatever reason (maybe Gattis isn't ready to call plays, maybe Harbaugh is hindering what Gattis wants to do, maybe an ancient mummy put a curse on Michigan), the offense is a dud so far. It sure looked like Michigan was going in the right direction before the first game was played, but it doesn't feel that way right now. Barring a complete disaster of a season where the team misses a bowl game, I don't think Harbaugh is in jeopardy of losing his job (although he might be more receptive to calls from the NFL). This might be the beginning of the end, though, if he doesn't figure it out next year.
Apollo wrote:I have been a huge Harbaugh fan since his days as a Chicago Bear, and thought he was the perfect hire for Michigan a few years ago. However, I'm now starting to wonder if Michigan might need an offensive mastermind like a Mike Leach or a Mike Gundy, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Some coaches, like Orgeron or Saban, were able to bring in a new system and change their fundamental philosophy on offense. But both made the move when they had a QB with Heisman-potential talent. On the other hand, Tommy Tubberville failed spectacularly at Auburn when he tried changing his stripes with a new spread offense. Which brings me to another question: With all the hot QB's transferring all over the place in recent years, why can't Harbaugh land a top-notch QB? Or am I being too harsh?
I think everyone thought they had landed a top-notch QB via transfer in Patterson. He was a 5 star out of high school with some gaudy numbers, and he played pretty well last year. The gripe most fans had was that Harbaugh's neanderthal offense was holding him back. That he's performed poorly in the new offense that was supposedly going to play to his strengths is mystifying and maddening. He's apparently had some sort of oblique injury that he suffered at the start of the MTSU game, but I don't know how much of that is real versus an excuse. The backup is Dylan McCaffrey (of the NFL McCaffreys) and he has a lot of hype associated with him as well. He got concussed after a couple of targeting shots to his head last week, and I don't think he'll be playing this week. The third string guy is someone everyone acknowledged was a developmental project - cannon arm but very raw. He shouldn't be expected to compete for another year or two. Harbaugh has been recruiting OK at the QB position, but for a QB guru, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more.
Apollo wrote:I'd really like to know what you think about the situation. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of Harbaugh this year regardless, but if next season shows them failing to beat Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State, I think it might be time for Harbaugh to go. And I never dreamed I would ever be saying that.
I can't really disagree with any of that.
GungHo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm I don't know that much about Michigan football but I think Shea Patterson is one of the better qbs in college. by that I'd say he's a top 15-20 guy. Probably gets drafted too. They just need to move out of the stone age offensively.
They've moved out of the stone age offensively, at least on paper. The problem is that the results were better with the stone age offense than they've been so far with the fancy new offense.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have been out of town and unable to post on the Wash State-UCLA game but damn, that was the weirdest football game I have ever seen. Usually a team that far down stays that far down. Or if they do start to come back and the other team scores it ends the come back, but UCLA could literally do nothing wrong for the last 22 minutes or so of the game.

I don't know what effect the game has on UCLA for the rest of the season, but it has to crush Wazzoo.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:58 pm I have been out of town and unable to post on the Wash State-UCLA game but damn, that was the weirdest football game I have ever seen. Usually a team that far down stays that far down. Or if they do start to come back and the other team scores it ends the come back, but UCLA could literally do nothing wrong for the last 22 minutes or so of the game.

I don't know what effect the game has on UCLA for the rest of the season, but it has to crush Wazzoo.
Hoping the hangover from that game lasts for at least this week. After watching USC carve us up through the air, I’m not looking forward to a Mike Leach offense.

Utah just signed a home/home with Florida in 2022/23. We dropped BYU both of those years to make room for the game. Pretty stoked for both of those things. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The NCAA sucks: Volume 2,683.

Utah had a JuCo offensive lineman transfer in this year. There was a question around academic eligibility, and they are working through those to get an answer as to whether he's eligible or not. The NCAA apparently has a rule that a player can only practice with the team for 45 days while they make their decision. After that, they are completely locked out of participating with the team in any capacity until the ruling is made.

They have now reached the 45-day mark, with no decision having been made. So instead of actually expediting the decision and letting the kid know whether he can play, he just received notice that he cannot have any contact with the team until they get their heads out of their asses and figure out what they're going to do.

God, I hate the NCAA.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 am The NCAA sucks: Volume 2,683.

Utah had a JuCo offensive lineman transfer in this year. There was a question around academic eligibility, and they are working through those to get an answer as to whether he's eligible or not. The NCAA apparently has a rule that a player can only practice with the team for 45 days while they make their decision. After that, they are completely locked out of participating with the team in any capacity until the ruling is made.

They have now reached the 45-day mark, with no decision having been made. So instead of actually expediting the decision and letting the kid know whether he can play, he just received notice that he cannot have any contact with the team until they get their heads out of their asses and figure out what they're going to do.

God, I hate the NCAA.
This kind of thing does happen way to often. How long does it take to check transcripts?
Black Lives Matter