2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

We're less than a month out from starting the 2019 season, otherwise known as Clemson/Bama - Round Four.

Pretty exciting year around here, with Utah picked to win the P12 South, and a serious contender for the P12 title. Lots of senior leadership, most of our offensive production returning, and maybe the best D-line in the country.

Can't wait to get this season started!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Big 12
There are a number of potential sleeper teams in the Big 12 this year, and we’ll get to those in a minute. But it’s worth noting the Big 12 saw 40 percent of its head coaches turn over this offseason. It’s to the point where Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy are the only coaches in the league that have been at their post for more than three seasons. The mix of new hires is an interesting one. Perhaps most notable is the return of Les Miles. Miles is a national champion head coach. He’s also the hire that comes with the most questions. Miles takes over a moribund program at Kansas, and he’s got a huge uphill battle ahead of him to turn over a roster that’s still reeling from Charlie Weis’ JUCO push at the end of his tenure. Kansas State replaced the legendary Bill Snyder with a national champion of its own, snagging Chris Klieman from North Dakota State. Klieman won four of the last five FCS national championships, and I think he’ll do rather well in Manhattan. He’ll recruit a similar sort of undervalued athlete at K-State that he did at North Dakota State. Plus, winners of his caliber tend to continue winning. West Virginia tabbed Neal Brown to replace Dana Holgorson. Brown is among the most respected young head coaches in college football with a strong offensive background. He’s got a rebuild, at least in the short term, ahead of him in Morgantown. But that’s a strong hire. Finally, Texas Tech tabbed Utah State’s Matt Wells to replace Kliff Kingsbury. Wells isn’t a big name. He is, however, a coach who thrice won nine-plus games at Utah State. That had only been done six times in the school’s 105-year history. The offense should remain explosive in Lubbock. Wells’ task is to address the defense.
Projected Big 12 Standings
  1. Oklahoma
  2. Texas
  3. Oklahoma State
  4. Iowa State
  5. TCU
  6. Baylor
  7. Texas Tech
  8. Kansas State
  9. West Virginia
  10. Kansas
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I still can't wrap my head around Les Miles being at Kansas. :?
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm We're less than a month out from starting the 2019 season, otherwise known as Clemson/Bama - Round Four.

Pretty exciting year around here, with Utah picked to win the P12 South, and a serious contender for the P12 title. Lots of senior leadership, most of our offensive production returning, and maybe the best D-line in the country.

Excuse me, but that would be Clemson/Bama round Five. :mrgreen:

The SEC is getting tougher so it's possible Alabama might stumble, but it's hard to see Clemson not being in the National Championship Game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:02 am Excuse me, but that would be Clemson/Bama round Five. :mrgreen:
:doh:
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I am really looking forward to seeing how Jalen Hurts does at Oklahoma. He’s one of my favorite football players even though he’s no longer at Alabama. A supremely good human being.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm We're less than a month out from starting the 2019 season, otherwise known as Clemson/Bama - Round Four.

Excuse me, but that would be Clemson/Bama round Five. :mrgreen:

The SEC is getting tougher so it's possible Alabama might stumble, but it's hard to see Clemson not being in the National Championship Game.
Playoff. Championship TBD.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing how Jalen Hurts does at Oklahoma. He’s one of my favorite football players even though he’s no longer at Alabama. A supremely good human being.
Just got our UCLA season tickets. That home game against OU is the kind of game we usually win at home... Image

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm back living near my Alma Mater in Knoxville so, Go Vols!

Tennessee has been mediocre at best for quite some time, but Jeremy Pruitt seems like a good hire and with Phillip Fulmer back, I think there's reason to be optimistic.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Xmann wrote:I'm back living near my Alma Mater in Knoxville so, Go Vols!

Tennessee has been mediocre at best for quite some time, but Jeremy Pruitt seems like a good hire and with Phillip Fulmer back, I think there's reason to be optimistic.
One doesn't hear too many good things from Vols fans about Fulmer. Glad to see that's changing.

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pyperkub wrote:

One doesn't hear too many good things from Vols fans about Fulmer. Glad to see that's changing.
Seems to be making good moves throughout the UT program. Basketball, baseball, and softball all moving along really good.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Fulmer killed Tennessee's plan to hire Mike Leach ( :mrgreen: which would have been awesome! :P ), but the Jeremy Pruitt hire may have been a wise choice in the long run.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fulmer Cup
The Fulmer Cup season starts the minute the national title game is finished and ends the minute of the FBS kickoff, this year on August 26.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We open our season in LA against USC. I think if I knew more about the guy taking over at QB I might actually go out on a limb and say we win that game. USC has looked terrible the last few years and Fresno State always gets up to play them.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Corso picked Utah/Bama for the CFB title game on Gameday this morning. :lol:

I’m as red-goggled as the next Utah fan, and even I think that’s silly.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The local talking heads don't think Clay Helton will make it half way through the season before he's fired. I suppose that will give USC plenty of time to negotiate with Urban Meyer to be the next head coach.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't know how the hell Helton kept his job to begin with. I just hope they wait until after the Utah game to can him.

My guess is that Swann will be out as the AD as well.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:42 am Corso picked Utah/Bama for the CFB title game on Gameday this morning. :lol:

I’m as red-goggled as the next Utah fan, and even I think that’s silly.
Urban Meyer also picked Utah to make the playoffs, although he didn't pick them to win.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am I don't know how the hell Helton kept his job to begin with. I just hope they wait until after the Utah game to can him.

My guess is that Swann will be out as the AD as well.
Methinks Swan goes first.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 pm Big 12
There are a number of potential sleeper teams in the Big 12 this year, and we’ll get to those in a minute. But it’s worth noting the Big 12 saw 40 percent of its head coaches turn over this offseason. It’s to the point where Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy are the only coaches in the league that have been at their post for more than three seasons. The mix of new hires is an interesting one. Perhaps most notable is the return of Les Miles. Miles is a national champion head coach. He’s also the hire that comes with the most questions. Miles takes over a moribund program at Kansas, and he’s got a huge uphill battle ahead of him to turn over a roster that’s still reeling from Charlie Weis’ JUCO push at the end of his tenure. Kansas State replaced the legendary Bill Snyder with a national champion of its own, snagging Chris Klieman from North Dakota State. Klieman won four of the last five FCS national championships, and I think he’ll do rather well in Manhattan. He’ll recruit a similar sort of undervalued athlete at K-State that he did at North Dakota State. Plus, winners of his caliber tend to continue winning. West Virginia tabbed Neal Brown to replace Dana Holgorson. Brown is among the most respected young head coaches in college football with a strong offensive background. He’s got a rebuild, at least in the short term, ahead of him in Morgantown. But that’s a strong hire. Finally, Texas Tech tabbed Utah State’s Matt Wells to replace Kliff Kingsbury. Wells isn’t a big name. He is, however, a coach who thrice won nine-plus games at Utah State. That had only been done six times in the school’s 105-year history. The offense should remain explosive in Lubbock. Wells’ task is to address the defense.
Projected Big 12 Standings
  1. Oklahoma
  2. Texas
  3. Oklahoma State
  4. Iowa State
  5. TCU
  6. Baylor
  7. Texas Tech
  8. Kansas State
  9. West Virginia
  10. Kansas
As a TCU fan, I think we'll do better than 4th. Most likely 3rd, if we can sort out our QB situation (we've got a truly outstanding freshman coming in, as well as couple of decent 3rd and 4th stringers). Texas and OU can probably be flipped, maybe even drop UT below us. I don't understand the love-fest ESPN throws for UT every single year. They've had one double-digit win season in the past decade, and only 7 seasons above .500 in the same time frame. I think Iowa has been given the benefit of the doubt because of the great coach they have, but I don't know that they have the horses to compete with some of the more established programs. I also think that, despite my previous sentence, that Kansas is going to do some good things this year.

I think the top 5 could be shuffled around, and the bottom five as well, with Tech and even Baylor moving up.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Hyena wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm ... I don't understand the love-fest ESPN throws for UT every single year. They've had one double-digit win season in the past decade, and only 7 seasons above .500 in the same time frame...
Are you serious? :? Texas has a hot new coach, and they showed real signs of improvement last year, with wins over Oklahoma and Georgia. And that double-digit win season was last year.

I think they are definitely a team to watch this year, and I personally wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the Big 12.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Apollo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm ... I don't understand the love-fest ESPN throws for UT every single year. They've had one double-digit win season in the past decade, and only 7 seasons above .500 in the same time frame...
Are you serious? :? Texas has a hot new coach, and they showed real signs of improvement last year, with wins over Oklahoma and Georgia. And that double-digit win season was last year.

I think they are definitely a team to watch this year, and I personally wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the Big 12.
Well, they *did* graduate/transfer almost 20 players, including a ton on their defense. It's probably more frustration than anything else over the past ten years where they have started in the top 25, only to immediately drop out because of losses to awful teams. One winning season and THEY'RE BACK, BABY!! I know Herman has come in and whipped them into shape, but I think they are being looked at with orange-colored glasses over the success of 15-20 years ago. ESPN has a dog in the fight with UT, as they are part sponsor/owner of the LHN, so I think the hype is slightly over-inflated. We'll see.

I have much more confidence in saying that OU will be the team to beat this year. Even though they lost a Heisman QB, they have another one that is more than capable of the same, and their recruiting is top notch. Plug and play, pretty much.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two more national talking heads picked Utah to the Playoffs yesterday.

I don't get it. I think we're poised to have a pretty good year, but this is not a playoff team. :?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm Two more national talking heads picked Utah to the Playoffs yesterday.

I don't get it. I think we're poised to have a pretty good year, but this is not a playoff team. :?
The thought is that the defense will carry them as well as the returning skill players. However, how's the OL look? Thinking wilner said 3 new starters - that's dangerous, IMHO - look that Fla-Mia game last week. I'm expecting UCLA to be right there for the South Championship when we make the trip to SLC in November.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's. Game. Day. Can't wait to get the season going tonight.

On paper, Utah has the talent to win this game handily, but weird things always seem to happen in these rivalry games. Over the past 20 meetings, the game has only been decided by more than 1 score three times (2004, 2008, and 2011). BYU hasn't beaten Utah by more than a TD since 1996...which probably somehow means that tonight will be the year that streak ends. :lol:

BYU is going to be jacked through the roof, as this game is basically their entire season. With no conference affiliation, losing tonight means that not only does the rivalry streak continue (Utah has won 8 straight), but their post-season destination is already determined (assuming they are bowl-eligible). It'd suck for that to be the case after game 1, so I'm sure they're gonna come out firing.

I'm guessing we see another close one, with Utah coming out on top something like 24-21.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am It's. Game. Day. Can't wait to get the season going tonight.

On paper, Utah has the talent to win this game handily, but weird things always seem to happen in these rivalry games. Over the past 20 meetings, the game has only been decided by more than 1 score three times (2004, 2008, and 2011). BYU hasn't beaten Utah by more than a TD since 1996...which probably somehow means that tonight will be the year that streak ends. :lol:

BYU is going to be jacked through the roof, as this game is basically their entire season. With no conference affiliation, losing tonight means that not only does the rivalry streak continue (Utah has won 8 straight), but their post-season destination is already determined (assuming they are bowl-eligible). It'd suck for that to be the case after game 1, so I'm sure they're gonna come out firing.

I'm guessing we see another close one, with Utah coming out on top something like 24-21.
Good luck! I still have to wait 48 hours for my game...

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In other news, the NCAA is still an awful, horrible organization. One million dollar medical bill, mother’s face still paralyzed. NCAA suggests player doesn’t need to move closer to help care for her because she’s trying to work to pay the bill off…..
Hoffman decided to transfer to Virginia Tech after his sophomore year to help care for his mother in Statesville, North Carolina. She had surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma (a non-cancerous brain tumor) in early 2017 and going to school in Blacksburg cut his commute home in half.

After the NCAA denied Brock's initial waiver request in April, the Hoffman family was asked to provide more documentation about Stephanie’s illness and living situation.

One of the factors the NCAA cited in the spring for denying the claim was that Stephanie’s condition was improving. The reasoning stunned Hoffman’s family since they had provided documentation that she was still suffering from facial paralysis, hearing loss and impaired eyesight.

In hopes of bolstering their son’s appeal, Stephanie got letters from four different doctors outlining the side effects she deals with on a daily basis from her multiple surgeries.

The NCAA surprised Brian Hoffman again when they came back with another line of questioning — why didn’t Stephanie Hoffman, 50, retire (after her diagnosis and surgery) from her job as a teacher?

“We have almost a million dollars of medical bills,” Brian Hoffman said. “She’s a teacher and doesn’t have enough years to get full pay from her pension. We simply couldn’t afford it.”
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

UCLA got jobbed, that was a fumble.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And so it begins.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Up 30-12, Utah driving, BYUs defense completely gassed...and a 45 minute (so far) weather delay due to lightning. This fucking series...always so weird. :?

I’m going to bed, and hoping there’s not some sort of miracle comeback when they restart the game after midnight.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:UCLA got jobbed, that was a fumble.
DTR was so awful, we didn't deserve it. Not having our difference makers was huge - top rb and top wr out, as well as top pass rusher.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After a rough first half, Utah absolutely dominated the second half against BYU. 24 minutes to 6 TOP, and BYU could do nothing to stop Zack Moss. Dude is an absolute BEAST, finishing with 188 and a TD. Could have had a second one, but Whitt decided to kneel it out on BYU's 5 yard line.

Fun to actually have a decisive victory, instead of a last minute nail-biter. Onwards!! :horse:
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am After a rough first half, Utah absolutely dominated the second half against BYU. 24 minutes to 6 TOP, and BYU could do nothing to stop Zack Moss. Dude is an absolute BEAST, finishing with 188 and a TD. Could have had a second one, but Whitt decided to kneel it out on BYU's 5 yard line.

Fun to actually have a decisive victory, instead of a last minute nail-biter. Onwards!! :horse:
Nice!

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:20 pm UCLA got jobbed, that was a fumble.
It did look like a fumble. But in year two of Chip Kelly how can they be so bad on offense?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am After a rough first half, Utah absolutely dominated the second half against BYU. 24 minutes to 6 TOP, and BYU could do nothing to stop Zack Moss. Dude is an absolute BEAST, finishing with 188 and a TD. Could have had a second one, but Whitt decided to kneel it out on BYU's 5 yard line.

The defense was all they had in the first half.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Headed down shortly to Neyland Stadium for my first Tennessee football game since 1996 and my son's first, ever.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I know it's relatively early in the game still, but Iowa not looking like the #21 team against Directional Iowa State U. Up 3-0 with 5 minutes left in first half.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 am Headed down shortly to Neyland Stadium for my first Tennessee football game since 1996 and my son's first, ever.
Oof, sorry you had to witness that debacle firsthand.

Did a double-take when I saw that score.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:53 pm
Xmann wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 am Headed down shortly to Neyland Stadium for my first Tennessee football game since 1996 and my son's first, ever.

Who didn't see that coming?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:

No words
gf.me/u/zhnmhs