OctoCon XXV - October 18th and 19th - Chicago

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Enlarge Image

What: OctoCon XXV

When: Friday, October 18th, Noon to Midnight and Saturday, October 19th, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $7 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos or Al's Pizza.

I would provide 3-4 dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

ThatSteveGuy and Kristie have stayed at the Aloft Hotel in nearby Rosemont and have recommended it highly.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Questions, let me know.
Last edited by hentzau on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Bad Demographic

Re: OctoCon XXV - October 18th and 19th - Chicago

Post by Bad Demographic »

Date saved!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is no way I could afford it this year, but I am going to make a concerted effort to pull it off next year.

BadDemo: If I make it next year, I will also make an effort not to blow you up in person.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Noted. Count me in.
mrvole

Post by mrvole »

I'll be there, as will my father. Excited to see you all and play some games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

mrvole wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:18 pm I'll be there, as will my father. Excited to see you all and play some games.
Excellent de-lurk! :clap:

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

We're flying in Thursday - in case anybody is up for getting together (dinner? drinks? just generally hanging out?).
Also, we're bringing "Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig" because last spring it didn't seem any of you were familiar with it and it's a great game.

If somebody will bring "Flamme Rouge", we won't. Otherwise, let me know and we'll bring it.

I'm looking forward to seeing you, gaming with you, and maybe even learning some new games!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Glad to hear you’re coming down. I can’t make it out Thursday night, but we’ll see you on Friday.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Out of town this weekend -- at one point the odds were greater than zero I could make it, my son is old enough now to find simple games interesting although he still lacks focus. But every fall my wife gets stir crazy and on one of her weekends off we drive up to the Dells for a couple of days, and this year it's this weekend.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Bad Demographic wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:56 pm
If somebody will bring "Flamme Rouge", we won't. Otherwise, let me know and we'll bring it.
I would play that. To my knowledge, no one around here owns it.
If you don't want to pack it though, I understand.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Might not be able to make it due to my wife’s health. Friday looks better than Saturday, if I can keep the plates spinning at the office.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Spinning....
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm Might not be able to make it due to my wife’s health. Friday looks better than Saturday, if I can keep the plates spinning at the office.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hepcat...Zarathud's been replaced by a pod person.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I miss these. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 am I miss these. :(
Agreed.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We miss you guys too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hear that there are ways of traveling long distances in short periods of time that would allow you to attend events in other cities.

I'm wishlisting an appearance at the April one, even if it doesn't include a 'Thud appearance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am I hear that there are ways of traveling long distances in short periods of time that would allow you to attend events in other cities.

I'm wishlisting an appearance at the April one, even if it doesn't include a 'Thud appearance.
It isn't the travel it is the timing. Wife, child, multiple jobs, all keep me from up and leaving whenever I wanted like my younger days.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Guys, if you get this, I’m running late. Got dragged into a stupid work call. I’m going to try and be there by noon but may be closer to 12:30. Sorry!!!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am I hear that there are ways of traveling long distances in short periods of time that would allow you to attend events in other cities.

It isn't the travel it is the timing. Wife, child, multiple jobs, all keep me from up and leaving whenever I wanted like my younger days.
Hell I'm 20 minutes away and it's always a game day call for me.

The all day school fundraiser got cancelled due to the strike (irony since funds usually go to supplement additional teachers). But still have kid's karate tourney and archery league. And Brian Posehn is doing a gig literally 1,000 feet from my house in the evening.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Priorities. I’ve missed wedding anniversaries and dodged tax deadlines to make Octocon. School strike, plus a sick wife won’t stop me from coming by sometime today. Tomorrow won’t be possible unless the kids come with to terrorize hepcat.

We’ll be good in April.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If I didn't have a tournament to coach tomorrow I would have dodged work to come down (well, I would have had I not needed to use up my sick days when my mother had her stroke and we thought she was going to die - she's good now).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm If I didn't have a tournament to coach tomorrow I would have dodged work to come down (well, I would have had I not needed to use up my sick days when my mother had her stroke and we thought she was going to die - she's good now).
What a thing to drop in a parenthetical! Glad she's okay!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you worked in Chicago then you’d have a strike day off!

Glad mom is doing better. Dealing with similar crap lately. :(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm If you worked in Chicago then you’d have a strike day off!

Is this the right thread? My mom had a TIA ("mini-stroke") two weeks ago, undergoing speech and physical therapy now. Refuses orders to not mow the lawn. :grund:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Zarathud wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm If you worked in Chicago then you’d have a strike day off!

Is this the right thread? My mom had a TIA ("mini-stroke") two weeks ago, undergoing speech and physical therapy now. Refuses orders to not mow the lawn. :grund:
I gotta side with your mom on this one. If Bernie can be back on the campaign trail a couple of days after a grabber, surely your mom can mow the lawn after a few weeks! With the rain we've been having, probably needs it too.

Of course, if her rotten son only would have taken care of this earlier, it wouldn't be an issue, now, would it?

Glad to hear she's up and well on the road to recovery!
Black Lives Matter