[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by Holman »

I love everything about the post-Empire world they've created for this show, especially the fact that Rebel New Republic pilots and other officials are kind of dicks once they're in authority.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

infinitelurker wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:47 pm
IceBear wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:23 pm APPA!!!!

https://www.blogto.com/film/2020/11/kim ... n-toronto/
I thought he looked familiar during those scenes! It would have been epic if when they left in the X-wings at the end he said "See you!"
Sneak attack!

Jag wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:03 pm If anyone wants more Mandalore backstory. I would absolutely recommend the Mandalorian story line from the Star Wars Rebels cartoon (on D+). The first season is fairly young adult and can be skipped, but it really picks up steam by the 3rd and 4th season and is some of the best SW media ever produced. There are some good watch guides online.
If you'll all indulge me on a short thread diversion--my kids are into Mandalorian, and meh but kind of into the SW mainline movies. I've been thinking of starting in on one of the SW cartoons, but have not closely followed anything SW beyond the mainline movies and Mandalorian. Kids are 9 and 6--recommendations?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:52 am If you'll all indulge me on a short thread diversion--my kids are into Mandalorian, and meh but kind of into the SW mainline movies. I've been thinking of starting in on one of the SW cartoons, but have not closely followed anything SW beyond the mainline movies and Mandalorian. Kids are 9 and 6--recommendations?
I haven't seen enough of Rebels to have an opinion, but Clone Wars is very good after the first couple of seasons (which are hit-or-miss). Avoid the movie that started the series.

One issue with Clone Wars is that it expects you to know the background laid down in the prequel movies, which is a big ask.

With kids the ages of yours, I think I'd sit down to Rebels and see how it is. It will certainly feel more like the world of Mandalorian to them.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Rebels season 1 is an easy recommendation. The series gets better and better as it goes on, but it also gets a bit darker and scarier as it goes on. Season 1 is very kid friendly and should also help you gauge how well they’ll do with the future seasons.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There are some direct connections between Rebels and what's happening on The Mandalorian.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:40 pm There are some direct connections between Rebels and what's happening on The Mandalorian.
The Starbuck actress/character I noticed is listed to be in Clone Wars and Rebels. I am in Season 3 of Clone Wars now but haven't seen her yet.

I am still loving Mandalorian, it's definitely the highlight of my week. Every time Baby Yoda appears it makes me happy, I could probably watch a show of just Baby Yoda doing Baby Yoda things for the entire episode.
Jag

Post by Jag »

rittchard wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:18 pm
AWS260 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:40 pm There are some direct connections between Rebels and what's happening on The Mandalorian.
The Starbuck actress/character I noticed is listed to be in Clone Wars and Rebels. I am in Season 3 of Clone Wars now but haven't seen her yet.

I am still loving Mandalorian, it's definitely the highlight of my week. Every time Baby Yoda appears it makes me happy, I could probably watch a show of just Baby Yoda doing Baby Yoda things for the entire episode.
Katee Sackhoff voiced Bo-Katan Kryze in Clone Wars and Rebels. The Mandalore story arcs in both animated shows were amazing. It's too bad they couldn't get the same voice actress to play Ahsoka, but she is a tiny thing and I don't think she's an actress either.

If you don't plan on watching Rebels, then this clip will give you some of the backstory on the Darksaber and Mandalore.

Obvious spoilers for Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du ... e=emb_logo
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I thought I read Rosario Dawson was hired to play Ahsoka, which sounds like fantastic casting to me. Plus since she should be significantly older for this show (40 or 50?) it may be better she doesn't sound like a little girl as much.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Since this is our active Star Wars thread:

Are you all aware that there's a new, official, canonical Star Wars Holiday Special??

It's being presented as an official redemption of the original, and it features more LEGO, less shame, and (presumably) less cocaine.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:03 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:30 am Spoilering, just in case.
Spoiler:
Olyphant's armor is the obvious cue here.
Yeah, but... [big episode spoiler]
Spoiler:
Even I knew that the Marshal was wearing Boba Fett's old armor. It's just that the bald dude in the final shot meant nothing to me. Obviously we've never seen adult Boba's face, so there was no shock of recognition. (I am informed by the kids that it's the same actor who played Jango Fett in the prequels, but between the aging and baldness I just didn't catch it.)

I just assumed it was some new lurking villain being teased.
Spoiler:
Well, If you saw the prequel movies, you sort of did see adult Boba Fett.
Boba Fett is a non-accelerated clone of Jango Fett. The actor who played Jango Fett is the same actor who played Boba Fett in this episode. AHe looks to be right about the same age as Boba Fett should be so it fits.
And I noticed Fett's armor from the get go. Especially that helmet dent.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

A few months ago I finished watching the Clone Wars and Rebels with my 10y daughter. My 18y son has watched Clone Wars when it originally aired and had been telling me to watch it for some time.

Short version, both shows are solid entries in the Star Wars universe and worth watching.

We finished Clone Wars and thought it, especially the final season (mostly), was excellent. It has some low points scattered throughout the show... droid or Padme focused episodes fell flat for me.

Rebels was a little lacking to start off for me. It felt a little childish at times in season 1 but quickly gets past that. It's also set in the IV-VI era which is a big plus.

If pressed, I'd honestly say Rebels is better, and as noted it has some ties to Mandalorian now too :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Since the Mandalorian is making callbacks to the animated series, I decided it was finally time for me to check them out. Since I finished the Crown this weekend I have been watching Clone Wars. A friend of mine warned me to be patient and that the show would get better - but frankly I have pretty much enjoyed it from the get go. It's really a lot of fun and the animation is teriffic. Generally, it's just loaded with space battles, blaster fire, and tons of light saber action. This pretty much defines what I love about Star Wars so I am finding it a light slice of awesome Star Wars fun. I just began season 2 last night.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Just watched the first few episodes of the first season, and I'm really impressed. It's the "small story" Star Wars everyone always talked about, but that we never really saw on screen. Mind you I haven't seen all the animated stuff. And I'm sure this story doesn't stay quite so small for long.

But I think what I like most is the theme. It's like Ennio Morricone kissed Bill Conti, and oozes anti-hero.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

Today's episode was simply magnificent.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm Just watched the first few episodes of the first season, and I'm really impressed. It's the "small story" Star Wars everyone always talked about, but that we never really saw on screen. Mind you I haven't seen all the animated stuff. And I'm sure this story doesn't stay quite so small for long.

But I think what I like most is the theme. It's like Ennio Morricone kissed Bill Conti, and oozes anti-hero.
This is why I love Rogue One more than any of the newer sequel trilogy movies.

When I fell in love with Star Wars--and, people, my parents took me to see it more than 20 times(!) in 1977 and 1978--it was for the struggle of the Rebellion and the Empire and the people involved in that fight.

I didn't give two shits for the Campbellian pseudo-theology of the Force or the Hero's Journey. I wanted to know how Han Solo evaded cargo scans. For me it was all an analogy of WW2 with only a little bit of Vietnam injected to keep the politics complex. To this day, I consider those first X-Wings diving on the Death Star the peak cinematic experience of my life.

The Mandalorian is a wonderful return to that gritty and morally grey wartime world.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's true! I forgot about Rogue One. It really was good. I wasn't sold on the need for it initially, but the characters and plotting were wonderful. The CGI cameos, while an accomplishment, rubbed me the wrong way. Though I could excuse Vader popping up because those scenes were so awesome. But the rest was a cast of unknown characters with no established hero. I think the CGI characters in The Mandalorian are amazing though, actually finally almost indistinguishable from costumes/puppets. (Though I imagine there's a heavy 3D mapping element.) And of course, the ones I've met so far aren't based on dead actors, so it has that going for it.

Unlike ST: Discovery, I really can't find a damn thing to complain about after the first several episodes. There are times when the tone wanders a bit from what the universe has established previously, but that's OK. I also question the "everyone's a Mandalorian now and has the armour?", but I'm willing to accept a semi-retcon and world expansion to allow us to take a look the types of characters we always wanted to see more of on screen. Obviously, much history has preceded the series in the expanded universe. But it's different to see it legitimized, especially in live action.

Definite "Man with No Name, in space" vibes, which is awesome.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Season 2, Episode 5. Wow.
Spoiler:
I was so worried she was going to look stupid in live action, but they pulled it off. And I think Rosario Dawson did a nice job as the mature Ahsoka who has been through a lot.
Also:
Spoiler:
Grand Admiral Thrawn named dropped. :shock:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched today's episode.

Yeah, it was...
Spoiler:
...SO GREAT seeing a mature and seasoned Ahsoka Tano!! Wonderful stuff.

Many of the in-town duel shots seemed very familiar and were probably Kurosawa, but I don't know enough to place them. Anyone know?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 pm Season 2, Episode 5. Wow.
Spoiler:
I was so worried she was going to look stupid in live action, but they pulled it off. And I think Rosario Dawson did a nice job as the mature Ahsoka who has been through a lot.
Also:
Spoiler:
Grand Admiral Thrawn named dropped. :shock:
Yep, the episode was awesome. Not just for all the extended universe tie-ins, but the episode overall.

Spoilery stuff!
Spoiler:
1. Michael Biehn!
2. I like the name Grogu.
3. Ashoka asking "where is your master" and I'm just assuming she's talking about Gideon and then holeeeee crap she says Thrawn. Hooray for Rebels!
4. Wonder what Jedi are out there to reply? Luke? Kyle Katarn? Ezra?
5. Rosario Dawson was fantastic as Ashoka. Hope there's more of her soon.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least we know somebody is not baby somebody. All these tie ins crack me up. I'm just watching a bounty hunter and a bunch of randos.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

This week's episode was incredible...blew me away from start to finish. We're finally seeing some major plot developments over the last few episodes, and while I really still didn't know where they're going, the direction the show seems to be headed is full of amazing characters, action, and Star Wars mythology. I thought the girls season was great, but this one is blowing it out of the water.

And a certain character showing up tonight, then dropping a name that I never expected to hear in this show? Holy crap!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I must be depressed, because like so much else, it was just "there".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Freyland wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 am I must be depressed, because like so much else, it was just "there".
Honestly, you might be. The internet hive mind is jumping for joy at how great that episode was. It was great on its own, but there were extra nuggets of awesomeness for anyone who’s enjoyed the Zahn trilogy, Rebels, Clone Wars, or KOTOR.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice Michael Biehn appearance. I just wish he’d been a good guy.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I have such mixed feelings about seeing prequel-era things "normalized" by this series. Part of me wants to let the hate flow through me. The other part wants to tell George's force ghost there's still good in him; his empire hadn't driven it from him fully.

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Two things I learned:
Spoiler:
Seeing Baby Yoda turn around when Mando said "Grogu?" makes me smile.

Asoka Tano's word means squat. "Yeah, sorry. I know you helped me get that information I needed, but I decided I'm not going to take Grogu and train him. I'll do something even better though. I'm going to give you some great instructions on how to find a Jedi that might train him.
1. Go to this planet and find this Jedi spot. I'm not going to give you any more details on this location.
2. Place Grogu on a stone. (Again, no details here. It's not like there are great records that would tell him where or what any of this is. Most of the galaxy apparently doesn't remember that there were Jedi running around kicking ass for thousands of years for some reason.)
3. If Grogu accepts the Force and wants to continue his training, another Jedi (if there are any) might decide to train him. (Seriously? This is your plan? Is Mando supposed to just wait around? Does he fly off and assume that any Jedi that wants to train him will find them? Why does he not ask a single question???)

That's always been a nitpick with Star Wars. They always give the most vague directions. Go find my friend Pete on Descotar. 10 minutes later he's talking to Pete on Descotar. That's like someone telling me to find someone named Vivek in Asia and I actually do it.
Even with those points, I loved the episode. This show continues to deliver.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
Given what she knows happened to Anakin in a very personal way I can buy her being vague in hopes it fails and his powers fade away. But yes, in most tales of fantasy instructions do seem to be vague
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

For a 30 minute episode this week, a lot happened!
Spoiler:
BOBA FETT!!!
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote:For a 30 minute episode this week, a lot happened!
Spoiler:
BOBA FETT!!!
Man, what an episode

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Holy shit! Just amazingly awesome.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Probably the best fan service ever provided. Especially after the costume change.
Spoiler:
Pot-belly Boba Fett has still got it!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Prediction:
Spoiler:
The show is making Boba Fett seem all nice and honorable, but that is not at all his style. He's a mean bastard, bounty hunter by trade. I predict his offer to "honor the deal" is simply a means to get the child and collect the bounty. "But the bounty is being paid by the Empire, and they have the child!" you say. But BF doesn't *know* that. He seemed surprised to see the Light Cruiser (despite the plethora of Imperial Troopers), and it's not like the Empire is going to hashtag itself on the bounty listing. Furthermore, when BF started spouting out about the deal not being complete, they flashed over to the assassin, who had a concerned look on her face. Then he went on about helping, and she seemed more pleased about that. I don't think she is (or will be) happy that BF will betray Mando because Mando came to her aid and actually did act honorably. Being honor-bound seems to be her MO.

Also, irritating:
Spoiler:
I totally get that characters have to sometimes do the wrong thing to make the plot move along, but you can't make it something overtly stupid and out of character. During the initial encounter with BF, Mando had to set down his jet pack. Fine. But when the Transport showed up, and everybody went their own way, Mando leaves the jetpack essentially at his feet to run up the hill! Would that ever have a chance to happen? Dude is *not* going to forget any part of his culture-coded armor, and he certainly would think to fly up the hill rather than run it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

On character and honor:
Spoiler:
I can see the point, but one element the prequels made important is that Boba Fett is not just a run-of-the-mill scoundrel like Jabba or Greedo. He does have a code, and a deal is a deal.

Plus there's the whole possibility of being older and wiser. He spent years killing and criming for hire, and what did it get him? A Sarlacc pit.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow. Really enjoying this season, especially the last few episodes.
Spoiler:
I wasn't sure they could pull off Asoka last week but thought it was excellent. I thought we'd get a filler episode this week, before following up with the Jedi search, but we got right to the force signal. And to have all of that overshadowed with Slave I flying through the sky, and Boba back in his armor - and a bad-ass action sequence for him too? Just lots of fun to watch. Two reasons, IMO - 1) It just feels right, the settings, and characters, the mood & music... and 2) Unlike the sequel trilogy, this feels planned. Every detail accounted for; not 3 movies of changed plots and reversed decisions, and non-sensical stories.

Sad that there's only 2 more episodes, and I like that both Boba theories (Honor vs. Bounty Hunter) are equally plausible. Should be interesting to see what happens. I fully expect to see (not next week, but to end the season...) a hooded figure drop into the temple to answer/acknowledge the Jedi-Signal as a tease for season 3.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Was that Bill Burr on the screen at the end?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:25 pm Was that Bill Burr on the screen at the end?
Yes.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote:Was that Bill Burr on the screen at the end?
Dud u miss him from last season?

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 pm
Jaymann wrote:Was that Bill Burr on the screen at the end?
Dud u miss him from last season?

Just glad to see he will be in before the season ends.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He was never shown being a bad guy, only being a bounty hunter. Did I miss something from some cartoon? I can buy it here with no problem.

And I hate fan service, but this one happens to be done VERY well.