Help a Grad Student! (Ageism Survey)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hamsterball_Z

Help a Grad Student! (Ageism Survey)

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

I have a grad student friend working on a Masters in Public Policy. She has a short survey to collect data on ageism in the workplace. I figured those of us here are probably in the right 'stage of life experience' to give her some good data.
Hello,

Below is a link to the workplace ageism survey for my MPA research project at SF State ... hoping you will participate! Should only take 5 minutes or so. Completely anonymous. Also, if you’re willing to share with a few friends/colleagues, I’d really appreciate it!

https://sfsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... r16hZw36gB

Thanks,
Angela
amalala@mail.sfsu.edu

The larger the survey sample, the better. If you have any friends that would like to participate, please forward this to them. If you know of professional organizations that might be able to share this survey with their members, even better! Please send their info my way and I'll let her know to contact them.

Thanks!
(HBZ)
Lassr

Re: Help a Grad Student! (Ageism Survey)

Post by Lassr »

Done
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Thanks!
(HBZ)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Done.

Would be interesting to see the results.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Being self-employed gives me a very accommodating workplace. Since all the of questions assume a traditional workplace, I opted not to answer in order to avoid throwing off the curve.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El completo.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't work so the questions appear to all be N/A.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:34 pm Done.

Would be interesting to see the results.
I may be able to get that info at some point. (Grad student is my girlfriend so I have access to the source. :wink: ) Unfortunately the sample size isn't all that big. She just cracked 150. She's been trying to get more sources, contacting business associations and alumni groups to share the link in some way (Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc.), but not a lot of takers.
(HBZ)
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 pm I don't work so the questions appear to all be N/A.
Clearly this is due to ageism!
(HBZ)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hamsterball_Z wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 pm I don't work so the questions appear to all be N/A.
Clearly this is due to ageism!
In a way, it is. Many working people in their 60s and up are past traditional employment, and sometimes we had to find our own path because we were edged out of the grind. IDK if that's within the scope of this student's investigation, but it might be worth mentioning in case she hadn't considered it.

As far as I'm concerned, dbt works for OO, and I trust that he is paid at least as well as the rest of us are.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Done but still being shy of 50 and having a very long term employment, ageism hasn't set in. Now if I go to look for another job, being shy of 50 trying to become the new guy, that would totally change the story.

I'm surprised the survey didn't ask how long I was at my current employment or how many jobs have been held over the last x years. Seniority and Ageism are a trade off until to you get to certain point. I believe I'm at least a half a decade away from the point where that trade off isn't keeping up and age begins to mean more than the sum of your experience in a company. Of course, things change.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm Being self-employed gives me a very accommodating workplace. Since all the of questions assume a traditional workplace, I opted not to answer in order to avoid throwing off the curve.
If you fire yourself for refusing to get out of bed in the morning, can you sue yourself and collect off a business liability policy? :think:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Done.

I'm an old but all of the rare ageism I've experienced has been of he "too young" variety.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm Being self-employed gives me a very accommodating workplace. Since all the of questions assume a traditional workplace, I opted not to answer in order to avoid throwing off the curve.
If you fire yourself for refusing to get out of bed in the morning, can you sue yourself and collect off a business liability policy? :think:
I don't have liability insurance. I do pay unemployment tax like any other employer. Hypothetically, I could collect unemployment if I don't fire myself for cause.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 am Hypothetically, I could collect unemployment if I don't fire myself for cause.
But then who will you sucker into picking up the tab for lunches?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If OO is good for anything, it’s a free lunch.

And Octocon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:24 pm If OO is good for anything, it’s a free lunch.

And Octocon.
freelunch is in Australia, hell of a far way to go unless you just have to have that Vegemite sandwich.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm being agedismed. I don't get paid enough to read all this shit.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Done
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"

Post by Default »

Done. Unfortunately, due to the unionized workforce, I don't run into ageism that much.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
geezer

Post by geezer »

I started to do the survey, but came to the same conclusion. There's probably a significant subset of people in the 40-70 range that this would apply to - might be worth consideration as to what that means.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Done but I fear that I might be an outlier. Until last year I work in the public sector; now I'm in the private sector. Until last year I worked in the US; now I'm outside the US. It probably isn't that important but it feels odd as I answer the questions.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just waking up but I'll take a look. Seeing as how I work at SFSU however....

Submitted. Biggest issue for me is the health issues which come with aging hindering career, etc. and some good and some bad managers at dealing with them.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.