This is not some mundane detail, Miguel!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

This is not some mundane detail, Miguel!

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP via Canadia
A new, Spanish-designed submarine has a weighty problem: The vessel is more than 70 tons too heavy, and officials fear if it goes out to sea, it will not be able to surface.

And a former Spanish official says the problem can be traced to a miscalculation — someone apparently put a decimal point in the wrong place.
The Isaac Peral, the first in a new class of diesel-electric submarines, was nearly completed when engineers discovered the problem. A U.S. Navy contractor in Connecticut, Electric Boat, has signed a deal to help the Spanish Defence Ministry find ways to slim down the 2,200-ton submarine.

The agreement with Groton, Conn.-based Electric Boat calls for Spain to pay $14 million over three years for an assessment of the problem with the S-80 submarine program and the scope of the work that would be required to correct it, the Spanish Defence Ministry said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Bardaji, now a senior fellow with the Strategic Studies Group think-tank in Madrid, said officials will review options provided by Electric Boat. But he said the preference has been to extend the length of the submarine’s hull, perhaps by 5 to 6 metres, to increase buoyancy.

Otherwise, the weight of the submarine would have to be reduced, and he said the Spanish Navy would not want to compromise features such as the combat system or an air-independent propulsion system.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Re: This is not some mundane detail, Miguel!

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Now I am morbidly curious to find out what "decimal point in the wrong place" miscalculation adds more than 70 tons to a submarine. :think:
-mf
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The spanish navy has had this problem in the past too.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At least they didn’t install screen doors on their subs, like the Polish navy did.
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 pm Now I am morbidly curious to find out what "decimal point in the wrong place" miscalculation adds more than 70 tons to a submarine. :think:
Inquisition transportation and onboarding equipment. Seems nobody expected that.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Last edited by em2nought on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop funding for NPR
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 pm Now I am morbidly curious to find out what "decimal point in the wrong place" miscalculation adds more than 70 tons to a submarine. :think:
Inquisition transportation and onboarding equipment. Seems nobody expected that.
The weight comes from all those comfy chairs.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"My bad."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Math is hard.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

.00070001 tons vs 70,001.00 tons? :wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

"Some people say never...I just say no"
stessier

Post by stessier »

They mention that the decimal was moved very early in the calculations. It's probably the density of steel or something like that. Move a decimal there very early and every calculation will be off.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles