Is anyone of you producing electronic music?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zitterbacke

Is anyone of you producing electronic music?

Post by Zitterbacke »

I started in the late 90th, nothing serious, stopped maybe ten years ago and two years ago got back into it, slowly getting songs done in my spare time, which I enjoy driving to work.
I call it my electro laboratory, as I don't do any strict type, could be a club track, but then again a bladerunner / vangelis type one, which I work on right now.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
hitbyambulance

Re: Is anyone of you producing electronic music?

Post by hitbyambulance »

i used to find futzing around with modtracker-type programs fun and i still do. i had tooo many hobbies and needed to concentrate one just a few, so i dropped the ones i wasn't proficient at. music composition (if you could call it that) was one of those that didn't make the cut, but i may take up violin in the future.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I goof around with Geoshred and Garageband on my iPad. I'm thinking of getting a midi keyboard. This is starting to feel to me like back when I first picked up a flight simulator. Next thing I know, I wanted a joystick. Next thing I know, I wanted rudder pedals.

The one thing keeping me from going deeper into this rabbit hole is I apparently have no musical talent. I wouldn't know where to begin in writing a song. I wrote a poem once in the 4th grade that people liked, that's as close as I've been to writing a song. Youtube helps a lot in this regard. There are quite a few people on Youtube who break down songs and explain how the songs work, why they use the chords they use, and all sorts of other interesting things. I feel I've learned a lot about music just from watching those videos. That spark of creation still hasn't happened yet though. That's why I'm thinking a keyboard is what I need. I feel like not having an instrument to play makes it harder for me to noodle around with my ideas. Geoshred is fun but I don't think it's designed for songwriting per se.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.

Post by Default »

gameoverman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:35 pm I goof around with Geoshred and Garageband on my iPad. I'm thinking of getting a midi keyboard. This is starting to feel to me like back when I first picked up a flight simulator. Next thing I know, I wanted a joystick. Next thing I know, I wanted rudder pedals.

The one thing keeping me from going deeper into this rabbit hole is I apparently have no musical talent. I wouldn't know where to begin in writing a song. I wrote a poem once in the 4th grade that people liked, that's as close as I've been to writing a song. Youtube helps a lot in this regard. There are quite a few people on Youtube who break down songs and explain how the songs work, why they use the chords they use, and all sorts of other interesting things. I feel I've learned a lot about music just from watching those videos. That spark of creation still hasn't happened yet though. That's why I'm thinking a keyboard is what I need. I feel like not having an instrument to play makes it harder for me to noodle around with my ideas. Geoshred is fun but I don't think it's designed for songwriting per se.
https://www.libertyparkmusic.com/common ... gressions/

Start there. There are chord progression apps for your phone, which may be a good training program for you.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken

Post by Default »

Another suggestion is to take a favorite song and rewrite it with different lyrics. Write it as a POS. Write intentionally cliche' and lousy songs as practice.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

What's some good PC software to start with? I want to paint notes on a staff and have the computer play them.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hipolito wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm What's some good PC software to start with? I want to paint notes on a staff and have the computer play them.
https://musescore.org/en
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

https://ardour.org

Looks daunting, but this will let you go all the way.

(I'm using Logic on my Mac, but if I could finally switch to my every-day-machine running Linux, that would make me much more happy.)
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I'm using Bitwig since I made it an X-Mass-gift to myself and used some of my spare time to make a few tracks (some dance, some chill). If you are interested: have a listen. This and the Humblebundle Racing-games will be my lockdown entertainment.