College move in day!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

College move in day!

Post by Zenn7 »

Daughter moved back in to her dorm room today.

Which consisted of me moving her stuff up 1 flight of steps (huge line for the 1 elevator, that broke down when we got close to it for the first trip). Ended up using the elevator for 3-4 trips, but still made a good dozen trips up and down the stairs.

Very glad that is over with. Ibuprofen (for my back) and nap taken. 30+ weeks until I get to repeat and bring it all home (though moving out is much easier - they don't have 2 limited windows where all the non-freshmen move out at the same time).
Jeff V

Re: College move in day!

Post by Jeff V »

My son just started kindergarten - so I won't have to deal with this for another 13 years, at which point I'll be north of 70. We are commuter distance to one community college (Waubonsee) and at least 3 universities (Aurora, North Park, and Northern Illinois). He'll need to excel at something to warrant being sent to an away-college, the jury is still out on that.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I remember moving my daughter into her dorm room at Cal State Northridge. Then the year after moving her into a studio apartment. Then the following year helping her move in with friends. When she finally had to move home she did it by herself using PODS.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Moved my daughter into her room this weekend. She was late getting her housing info in, so she ended up with a single (although she’s looking for a roommate). But what we found upon moving in was that she had another door in her room that led to another dorm room that is (so far) unoccupied. So she’s calling that the room of requirement and has dreams of secret D&D games in the extra room.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
mori

Post by mori »

I remember helping my sister move into a studio apartment and heaving her shit up 3 flights of stairs because the elevator did not work. I was heavily hungover and never felt good since. That was 25 years ago.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 pm I remember helping my sister move into a studio apartment and heaving her shit up 3 flights of stairs because the elevator did not work. I was heavily hungover and never felt good since. That was 25 years ago.
My brother and I moved my sister once from apartment to apartment in the Bay area, many years ago. At some point a book shelf flew off the truck and hit another car. We had to answer to an insurance company when somehow the lady with the car was able to track us down. All we knew was a shelf was missing when we arrived at the second apartment.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:22 pm My son just started kindergarten - so I won't have to deal with this for another 13 years, at which point I'll be north of 70. We are commuter distance to one community college (Waubonsee) and at least 3 universities (Aurora, North Park, and Northern Illinois). He'll need to excel at something to warrant being sent to an away-college, the jury is still out on that.
We are in commuter distance of this college (I drive past on my way to work when I take 75, but not currently due to construction). But she can't drive. We have determined that it is extremely unlikely she ever will (anxiety disorder, she was not a safe driver when we were trying to teach her, the accident we had in Nov 2017 (pictures on OO facebook page from that, she renamed the Corolla to a Crunch-olla).

Fortunately she plans to work out of the country a lot (translation/teaching English in Japan and then maybe with Peace Corp). If that actually works out for her, she won't have need of the ability to drive much.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hentzau wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:48 pm Moved my daughter into her room this weekend. She was late getting her housing info in, so she ended up with a single (although she’s looking for a roommate). But what we found upon moving in was that she had another door in her room that led to another dorm room that is (so far) unoccupied. So she’s calling that the room of requirement and has dreams of secret D&D games in the extra room.
My kid ended up with her own room last year (roommate moved out after a few weeks) and so far has her own room this year (her roommate is allergic to rabbits - and she has a rabbit for a ESA she's going to bring in when the paperwork is signed). Fortunately, their suitmate ended up alone (the roommate there backed out), so just had to move this girl through the bathroom into the other 1/2 of the suit. Since it was kinda our fault, we helped them move and I helped the RA de-loft the kid's bed (cause moving my own kid's stuff wasn't enough work...).
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I have three in college starting this year. It's been a crazy August of packing and moving.

Moved our two daughters into apartments for their junior year. It's their first year not in a dorm. Much more stuff to move for apartments than dorms as you can imagine. Took two long 2-car trips to get all their stuff moved.

Moved my son this labor day weekend. He starts his freshman year at a different college than my daughters. His college is further away with about a four hour drive. Way less stuff to move for him. Did it easily in one car load.

Wish the kids would have picked the same college to be more efficient for us. Just didn't work out on their interests. Only thing common is they are attending Big Ten schools.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a senior and a sophomore in high school this year. Due to [factors], the senior will have to wait two or three years before starting college, so they'll likely be starting together. I figure I have three years of full-time parenthood left to me, and I have no idea what happens after that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Was at fred meyer yesterday, Looked like a lot of parents shopping with college freshman, getting them a batch of cheap furniture and some groceries.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Torfish wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:55 am Wish the kids would have picked the same college to be more efficient for us. Just didn't work out on their interests. Only thing common is they are attending Big Ten schools.
Just dropped my older son off for his freshman year at University of Michigan. Pretty emotional for us. Wish he was closer, but a 3 hour flight isn't terrible. My wife also went there, so we are pretty familiar with it.