[movie] Jojo Rabbit

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] Jojo Rabbit

Post by Daehawk »

Writer director Taika Waititi (THOR: RAGNAROK, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE), brings his signature style of humor and pathos to his latest film, JOJO RABBIT, a World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy (Roman Griffin Davis as JoJo) whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

In Theaters October 18, 2019

Directed by: Taika Waititi

Screenplay by: Taika Waititi, based upon the book “Caging Skies” by Christine Leunens

Produced by: Carthew Neal, p.g.a., Taika Waititi, p.g.a., Chelsea Winstanley

Cast: Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Taika Waititi, Rebel Wilson, Stephen Merchant, Alfie Allen, with Sam Rockwell and Scarlett Johansson

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: [movie] Jojo Rabbit

Post by Jaymann »

You had me at Sam Rockwell.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I must admit that looks pretty cool.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Saw the trailer yesterday at the theater, looks great.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This looks good, will definitely check it out.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm Writer director Taika Waititi (THOR: RAGNAROK, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE),
I’m baffled how someone can introduce Waititi without mentioning “What We Do In the Shadows”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The first few trailers made me think it was just a silly fever dream comedy, but this latest trailer adds the story that gives the film some context. I’m definitely in.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IGN 8.5

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13 ... bit-review
Verdict

The concept of a kid’s imaginary friend being Adolf Hitler is as unpalatable as it is potentially funny, and every last laugh is wrung from the scenario before the film gets serious. And make no mistake, when the laughter stops, Jojo Rabbit is filled with genuine horror. Taika Waititi nevertheless strikes just the right balance between comedy, tragedy, and drama, the result being a very funny WWII film that nevertheless carries an incredibly important message about the here and now.
great
The audacious comedy Jojo Rabbit that suggests Taika Waititi can make absolutely anything funny.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'M SO IN! :horse:
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 pm This looks good, will definitely check it out.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm Writer director Taika Waititi (THOR: RAGNAROK, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE),
I’m baffled how someone can introduce Waititi without mentioning “What We Do In the Shadows”.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The explanation for why vampires prefer virgin blood in What We Do In the Shadows will remain one of my go to quotes for as long as I remain on this earth.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Has anyone seen this? I'm entranced by the trailer, and it just opened in Philly. Thinking of taking the family this weekend.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Really? I'm not sure I'd considerate a family movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm Really? I'm not sure I'd considerate a family movie.
Not a kids movie, but certainly fun satire.

My kids are teens.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

When I saw the trailer I thought it was a Wes Anderson movie. My wife is dying to see this.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

I saw it tonight with four boys (ages 13-15). Everyone loved it, and me most of all.

I won't spoil anything, but it's a small movie that nevertheless somehow hits satire, coming-of-age, war-movie, and love-story notes without ever losing its focus. It was far more affecting than I thought it would be, and the emotional range is much wider. The Wes Anderson comparison doesn't feel too far off (except that this is way less precious than Anderson can sometimes be).

I didn't know going in that it was adapted from a novel, but that probably explains the richness of the story. There's never any sense that it just grew from a joke or a skit. In fact Waititi's Hitler-as-imaginary-friend dominates the movie less than you might expect from the preview. It isn't at all overused, but his final appearance is superb.

Is this the first time we've seen Scarlett Johansson in a maternal role? She's very good here. The two young leads are excellent.

One little detail: the music for the opening and the ending credits (different for each) is just so very wonderful.

Go see this.