NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gameoverman

Re: NFL 2019 - 20 Season with Playoffs

Post by gameoverman »

I don't think Garoppolo counts as one who got away. Brady was still going to play, there's no way they'd pay Garoppolo to sit there waiting indefinitely and I don't think he wanted to sit there wasting his career. NE won a Super Bowl, appeared in the next one, then won one again so it's all but impossible to say letting him go was a bad move. It worked out well for both sides. A couple of years have gone by though, so of course things change.

As far as Garoppolo's performance in these playoffs, well he hasn't needed to do much so I would not be quick to say he can't do much. I think his team will ask more of him in the upcoming game and that will be when everyone sees what he can or can't do. From the random games I've seen of his I believe he will do well.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 pm I don't think Garoppolo counts as one who got away. Brady was still going to play, there's no way they'd pay Garoppolo to sit there waiting indefinitely and I don't think he wanted to sit there wasting his career. NE won a Super Bowl, appeared in the next one, then won one again so it's all but impossible to say letting him go was a bad move. It worked out well for both sides. A couple of years have gone by though, so of course things change.

As far as Garoppolo's performance in these playoffs, well he hasn't needed to do much so I would not be quick to say he can't do much. I think his team will ask more of him in the upcoming game and that will be when everyone sees what he can or can't do. From the random games I've seen of his I believe he will do well.
The general reporting (which I think many / most fans accept as probably true) was that Belichick wanted to trade Brady and keep Garoppolo as the Patriots QB of the future, but that Kraft overruled him on that. Hence the attachment to Garoppolo as the alternate universe Patriots franchise QB.

But as you say it's hard to argue with the decision to stick with Brady, given the whole winning two out of three Super Bowls after that decision.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 pm If only there were some other team from Texas... :P
There isn't. Keep moving.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:47 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 pm If only there were some other team from Texas... :P
There isn't. Keep moving.
The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. So he is supporting a Texas team . . . from a certain point of view.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:37 pm The general reporting (which I think many / most fans accept as probably true) was that Belichick wanted to trade Brady and keep Garoppolo as the Patriots QB of the future, but that Kraft overruled him on that.
Tom Curran rather strongly refutes that narrative. He reports there was never a meeting, and BB was never told to do anything. BB just realized he couldn't put off making a move any longer. Garoppolo never received a contract extension offer either - he has the same agent as Brady so it would have been an impossible needle to thread. Curran believes he purposefully took less to be sure Garoppolo ended up in a good situation.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The Hollywood (Florida) Police Department issued an arrest warrant for Antonio Brown Wednesday night following allegations that he and his trainer attacked a moving company truck driver near Brown's Florida home.

Hollywood police spokesman Christian Latta said in a news release that Brown faces charges of burglary with battery -- a felony -- burglary of an unoccupied conveyance and criminal mischief.
Brown's trainer, Glenn Holt, had been arrested on a felony burglary with battery charge on Tuesday. He posted a $20,000 bond on Wednesday and was released from Broward County Jail.

Brown threw a rock at the driver's moving truck before the alleged battery outside of his home Tuesday, according to court documents obtained by TMZ.

The documents allege that Brown later forced his way into the driver's side of the main cabin of the truck and began to physically strike the driver after a disagreement over payment escalated. Brown was then restrained by his associates.

The court documents obtained by TMZ state that the moving company was hired by Brown to deliver belongings the receiver had stored in California to his home in Hollywood, Florida.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

That dude desperately needs a AAA rehab experience, he's out of control. Hate to see that in a person.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

From most accounts, his behavior has become increasingly erratic over the last few years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is found to have CTE after he dies.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm From most accounts, his behavior has become increasingly erratic over the last few years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is found to have CTE after he dies.
I hadn't considered CTE, that is likely his issue.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm From most accounts, his behavior has become increasingly erratic over the last few years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is found to have CTE after he dies.
From without, it seems like he's always had issues but CTE or some other aggregating trauma is either wreaking havoc on or is working in concert with those issue. Our neuroscience and brain knowledge still seems like it's in its infancy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The real tragedy here is that the Patriots could have at least made the AFC Championship game with him on their roster. :cry:
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:47 pm The real tragedy here is that the Patriots could have at least made the AFC Championship game with him on their roster. :cry:
Totally agree. The lack of receivers really hampered Brady.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Suberbowl predictions? Chiefs are favored by 1 measly point, so it's a pick 'em.

I pick Chiefs - too much offense to stop.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My gut says 49ers. They are both super talented teams, but I get the general impression that SF is smarter and better run.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I think this will be the first super bowl since I was a kid that I will miss. Someone scheduled their wedding for the exact same time, so I’ll be unavailable most of the day.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Lorini wrote:
There’s been a lot of speculation online about that being the cause. Some point to this hit from Burfict, saying Browns issues mainly started after the hit.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My gut says the Chiefs are the harder team to stop, but defense usually seems to win out in the SB. Plus, we haven't yet had an Andy Reid-terrible-clock-management event in the playoffs yet, so it seems like he's due. Still, I'll say Chiefs 27, 49ers 24.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm I think this will be the first super bowl since I was a kid that I will miss. Someone scheduled their wedding for the exact same time, so I’ll be unavailable most of the day.
that would be a "can't make it" on the reply card for me.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote:
msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm I think this will be the first super bowl since I was a kid that I will miss. Someone scheduled their wedding for the exact same time, so I’ll be unavailable most of the day.
Well... in this particular case they are paying me to be there.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Scheduling a wedding on Super Bowl Sunday is about the most passive/aggressive thing a person could do. Assuming you're inviting people, why do that? A lot of people enjoy socializing on that day, if not watching the game. I hope they got a really good deal on the venue at least.

I think the Chiefs will win. I put a lot of stock in intangibles, and I think the Chiefs win out there. No matter what the score is at the end of the first half, the Chiefs are still a threat to win the game. I wouldn't say the reverse is true. If it was 24-10 49ers at the end of the first half, so what? It's not over, not even close. If it's 24-10 Chiefs at the end of the first half, the 49ers are doomed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm
Scheduling a wedding on Super Bowl Sunday is about the most passive/aggressive thing a person could do. Assuming you're inviting people, why do that? A lot of people enjoy socializing on that day, if not watching the game. I hope they got a really good deal on the venue at least.
Sounds like something Kraken would do.

If you choose passive/aggressively flip them the bird, I bet you're not the only one who would be streaming it on their phone. Even better if the venue has a public bar with TV.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:27 pm
naednek wrote:
Well... in this particular case they are paying me to be there.
wouldn't change a thing :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

loving all the niner doubt. We survived on that
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:50 am loving all the niner doubt. We survived on that
So if we started believing in the Niners, they would die?
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm

It's either a loyalty test or a football themed wedding.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This'll be the second one I miss in the last 15 years. I'm joining MHS on a work trip, and our return flight is at the same time as the game.

Of course, the work trip is to St. Croix, so don't feel too badly for me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

naednek wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:50 am loving all the niner doubt. We survived on that
Is there anything worse than the top seeded team claiming they're being doubted and disrespected?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Is there anything worse than the top seeded team claiming they're being doubted and disrespected?
Well, they're right. Look at the Vegas line.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm
ImLawBoy wrote:
Well, they're right. Look at the Vegas line.
I can't believe that Vegas would be so insulting as to predict that they'll get blown out by 1 point.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Neutral field, 1 point is basically a push. I'm sure it is going to move though, as bets start piling up on one side or the other.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:48 pm I pick Chiefs - too much offense to stop.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fun game.

Amazing that KC was down at least 10 in all their games, and won all three...by double digits.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I agree. It was a fun game. I like the Chiefs, but then I like the Niners too. Except when they play Baltimore.

Both teams are relatively "young" too. Is there much turnover/free agency drama expected for either team?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Niner Noise
San Francisco owns just one selection, Round 1, in the first four rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft. Others have been traded away, including a second-round pick for EDGE Dee Ford and a third- and fourth-round pick for wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. As far as NFL free agency is concerned, the Niners are projected to have a pre-rollover amount of $24,112,219 in available salary cap space for next year, per Over the Cap.

With contract extensions pending for defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, tight end George Kittle and likely others, there isn’t going to be a ton of money available to wildly spend on the open market, either.
Chiefs Wire
The Kansas City Chiefs have 18 players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this offseason. Several of those players are new to the team for the 2019 season. While the Chiefs won’t have a whole lot of money to play with in free agency this season, they should look to bring back a few standout performers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Enlarge Image

:doh:

(Kansas City is not, in fact, in Kansas)

:lol:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Anyone seen naednek?????????????????????????? He is now feeling the pain of Dodger fans, not good. Don't worry naednek, the MLB season starts soon. Oh but wait!!!!! That might not be good news :D
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

That was a rough loss, but the Chiefs got the 4th quarter stops the Niners couldn't. Happy for Coach Reid and the Chiefs!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Exodor wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:57 pm Enlarge Image

:doh:

(Kansas City is not, in fact, in Kansas)

:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWc6WRHKEE
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Twenty one points in one quarter, the fourth quarter no less, against a highly regarded defense is eye opening. Garoppolo had his receiver open behind the defense and couldn't make the throw to take the lead and maybe the game. I think I see now why so many people are unconvinced he's anything special. You need to make those throws if you want to be an upper tier QB.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Mahommes may be the architect of the three of the four greatest comebacks in NFL history. Shanahan is on the losing end of 2 of the 4 greatest comebacks in playoff history.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni