Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Writer-director Christopher McQuarrie shared a tease on Instagram Friday, and The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed Atwell is joining Tom Cruise in the next installment. "Should you choose to accept..." McQuarrie captioned a photo of Atwell Friday. For her part, Atwell responded, "Mission: Accepted. Though I’m not the sort to follow orders..."

Cruise will reprise his starring role as Ethan Hunt for an upcoming pair of films, with McQuarrie set to return to write and direct the series' seventh and eighth installments. McQuarrie previously directed 2015's Rogue Nation and last year's Fallout, which became the 23-year-old series' highest grossing film yet with $791.1 million globally.
Paramount has dated the next Mission: Impossible film for July 23, 2021, while the eighth installment will be released on Aug. 5, 2022. In addition to Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson is expected to return.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, 23 years!? I didn’t realize the (rebooted) franchise was that old. :shock:
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've never seen a Mission Impossible movie. Just not enough hours in the day...
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The first and third were really good movies. The rest were okay, but completely forgettable excuses for mindless action and product placements.

It's the US version of James Bond in every regard.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I thought the first three were decent, but the last three were really good, particularly the last one. I usually don't like pure action movies but these movies have had enough suspense and tension in the plot to hold my interest without having to kill 10,000 people like in those awful John Wick movies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

John Wick awful? :?
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Really enjoyed most of the series, especially the last two movies so I'm down with more of the same.

Would love to have a battle royale between Ethan Hunt, Jason Bourne, John Wick, one or more James Bonds (including George Lazenby), Sydney's spy dad Jack Bristow, Nikita (from the original french movie and both TV series but sorry Bridget Fonda) and any other Hollywood spy/assassin I might have missed.

Oh yeah, throw in Jean Reno's The Professional too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm
Nice collection. However...

[...]but sorry Bridget Fonda[...]
Don't apologize for that dreck. She does not deserve to be shining the shoes of the rest of them. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm John Wick awful? :?
I've only seen the first one, but that was enough. They steal his car, kill his dog, and then he goes off and shoots 572 people with no dramatic tension, no suspense, no flair, no personality (not that Keanu Reeves would be capable of playing such a character anyway). The John Wick movies are not even in the same league as "Taken" or Denzel's "Equalizer" movies. I personally have no idea what anyone sees in them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, you must have seen a different John Wick. The one that both critics and audiences gave excellent reviews to has all of the things the version you saw is missing. :wink:
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am Oh, you must have seen a different John Wick. The one that both critics and audiences give excellent reviews to has all of the things the version you saw is missing. :wink:
He must have seen John, Wick - the story of a man and his soggy shirt.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Paingod wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am Oh, you must have seen a different John Wick. The one that both critics and audiences give excellent reviews to has all of the things the version you saw is missing. :wink:
He must have seen John, Wick - the story of a man and his soggy shirt.
Or John Wicker, Challenges of a Basket Weaver in a Modern Age because the Netflix search for John Wick came up with that.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Or John Wickerman.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, we need to stop now before someone gets hurt.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am Oh, you must have seen a different John Wick. The one that both critics and audiences gave excellent reviews to has all of the things the version you saw is missing. :wink:
Lots of bad movies get good reviews these days. Just look at "Furious 7" or "Dope" or "Kung Fu Hustle", just to name a few at random.

You should be happy that, like the majority of the population, you have the ability to appreciate bad movies. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's always easier to say everyone else is wrong in this type of situation, rather than admit you might be. God knows I've done it in the past too.

Would you like me to get you a sharpie so you can change the reviews? :wink:

edit: I was just curious so I looked at your movie praises. you liked Ted 2. Ted...2. :mrgreen:
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 pm It's always easier to say everyone else is wrong in this type of situation, rather than admit you might be. God knows I've done it in the past too.

Right, because if everyone else thinks it, it must be true, right? So if I ask all my friends, neighbors, and co-workers and 90+% say that Donald Trump is the greatest President ever, I must be wrong and everyone else must be right, correct?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I repeat: Ted...2
Right, because if everyone else thinks it, it must be true, right?
I'm more inclined to take the word of the 1000 people in the room who enjoyed the brisket than I am the one guy who's telling me it sucks.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 pm It's always easier to say everyone else is wrong in this type of situation, rather than admit you might be. God knows I've done it in the past too.

edit: I was just curious so I looked at your movie praises. you liked Ted 2. Ted...2. :mrgreen:
You've got me mistaken for someone else. I've never seen Ted 2.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was in the Ted 2 thread, so I assumed you meant Ted 2. But at the very least, you enjoyed Ted 1.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 pm It was in the Ted 2 thread, so I assumed you meant Ted 2. But at the very least, you enjoyed Ted 1.
Yes, Ted 1 was funny, but by all accounts Ted 2 was not, so I haven't bothered to watch it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The John Wick films distinguish themselves from such low rated peers as The Equalizer films because they are fantastic at world building. That's the true strength of the franchise. And that's what is mentioned in most reviews. I'm fine with you not liking them, that's your opinion. But let's remember that it is just an opinion. I may enjoy bad films from time to time, who doesn't? But the Wick films aren't in that category. And I still consider myself a discerning movie goer having expressed that belief.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm The John Wick films distinguish themselves from such low rated peers as The Equalizer films because they are fantastic at world building. That's the true strength of the franchise. And that's what is mentioned in most reviews. I'm fine with you not liking them, that's your opinion. But let's remember that it is just an opinion. I may enjoy bad films from time to time, who doesn't. But the Wick films aren't in that category. And I still consider myself a discerning movie goer having expressed that belief.
You're taking such offense at me saying that "John Wick" was not a good movie, yet you let "No Country for Old Men" get bashed in another thread and raised not a finger to defend it. You should seriously re-examine your priorities.

As far as the Equalizer movies go, I find them much more entertaining as far as "Revenge" themed shoot-em-ups go, because the main character was so much more interesting than Keanu's John Wick. My personal bias is toward character-driven movies (one reason I like the widely disliked Iron Man 2) so if I can't get interested in the characters it's hard for the plot to hold my interest.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 pm
You're taking such offense at me saying that "John Wick" was not a good movie, yet you let "No Country for Old Men" get bashed in another thread and raised not a finger to defend it. You should seriously re-examine your priorities.

I also probably haven't replied to a few posts denouncing racism. You should get on me for that too.

Anyway, things are getting heated. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 pm

I also probably haven't replied to a few posts denouncing racism. You should get on me for that too.

Anyway, things are getting heated. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
I'm not upset and I'm sorry if I came across that way. I'm just a movie buff who likes to discuss movies, and if I'd known that John Wick was the new Matrix, I would never have made that throwaway comment in my first post. I'll make you a deal, though: I'll watch the second John Wick movie if you'll watch one of the Equalizer movies and explain to me how the John Wick movies are better.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've watched both Equalizer films.

They were passable but forgettable (in my opinion). Definitely not in the same league as the John Wick films, I thought.

I'm also a movie buff, so I get somewhat passionate about films as well at times. So I understand.
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:43 pm explain to me how the John Wick movies are better.
1) The world building (as mentioned earlier). The writers didn't just drop an assassin into a revenge fueled action film. They built a whole world for assassins. They have rituals, rules, politics...and the Continental. That last one is almost a character in itself. THEN they dropped Reeves into the film.

2) The hyper stylized action is top notch. Every move is painstakingly choreographed with the same love and attention you'd find in a Stephen Chow or early Jackie Chan film.

3) The characters. This stems from 1 above, but each character in this film is unique. From a clan of homeless assassins to the Continental's in house eradication team, there's rarely two characters who are alike.

I could go on, but that's a start.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm scratching my head a bit. I've seen all of the movies (3 JW and 2 Eq).

Just looking at the first movies of each series...

In JW, the revenge is triggered when they kill the puppy that he now-deceased wife sent him to help him deal with losing her.
In Eq, he decides to help the girl he hardly knows "because he can".

I'm amazed that anyone thinks that the Eq is more "character-driven". I guess if we are just talking about the performances of the character moving the story along and not the overall story.

/shrug

That said, I thought the story in JW2 was a little suspect. But I got happily back on board for JW3.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Apollo wrote: Lots of bad movies get good reviews these days. Just look at "Furious 7" or "Dope" or "Kung Fu Hustle", just to name a few at random.
Now wait just a damn minute. I'm not going to stand by and let someone disrespect Kung Fu Hustle.

How dare you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<hence my callout to Stephen Chow in my last post> :wink:
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm
...I'm amazed that anyone thinks that the Eq is more "character-driven". I guess if we are just talking about the performances of the character moving the story along and not the overall story...
That has everything to do with Denzel Washington being a top-notch actor whereas Keanu Reeves is not.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

...In JW, the revenge is triggered when they kill the puppy that he now-deceased wife sent him to help him deal with losing her.
In Eq, he decides to help the girl he hardly knows "because he can"...
But why did they attack Keanu in the first place? That made less sense than Denzel helping someone in need (which he does over and over in the two Equalizer movies,,,It was not an isolated incident).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 pm
...I'm amazed that anyone thinks that the Eq is more "character-driven". I guess if we are just talking about the performances of the character moving the story along and not the overall story...
That has everything to do with Denzel Washington being a top-notch actor whereas Keanu Reeves is not.
It's easy to mistake his almost laconic screen persona in later films for bad acting. And sometimes it is a case of bad acting (or more appropriately I imagine, just lazy acting). But Keanu often plays understated characters with more going on under the surface if you pay attention. Rivers Edge and My Own Private Idaho are perfect examples of this.
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:49 pm
...In JW, the revenge is triggered when they kill the puppy that he now-deceased wife sent him to help him deal with losing her.
But why did they attack Keanu in the first place? That made less sense than Denzel helping someone in need (which he does over and over in the two Equalizer movies,,,It was not an isolated incident).
Wrong place, wrong time. Like most violence, it was senseless. I think folks appreciated a less contrived reason for the sudden explosion of violence.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm responding to reports of someone having a wrong opinion on the internet. I'll need all of you to report for questioning ASAP.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:49 pm
Did you not watch the beginning of the movie? The wanted his car. When he refused to sell, they took it. I suppose they could have hot-wired it, but they were gangsters, not car thieves. I think it's fair to assume that they didn't know how. But home invasion, assault, and taking the keys? That's pretty easy.

And I'm going to pass on your equating murdering (in cold blood) 5-6 people with offering to help someone train for a security guard test. Unless your point is that Denzel's character is a killer whose response to most situations is violence. Actually... now that you mention it...

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm I'm responding to reports of someone having a wrong opinion on the internet. I'll need all of you to report for questioning ASAP.
Hey, we're being polite and nice in our disagreement. That's better than 70 percent of the internet, wouldn't you say...90 percent if you include sports forums? :P
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:53 pm It's easy to mistake his almost laconic screen persona in later films for bad acting. And sometimes it is a case of bad acting (or more appropriately I imagine, just lazy acting). But Keanu often plays understated characters with more going on under the surface if you pay attention. Rivers Edge and My Own Private Idaho are perfect examples of this.
Or maybe he's just not a great actor. OK for stuff like "Point Break" or "The Matrix", but largely incapable of expressing emotion in a realistic manner.

Thinking back, the only memorable character I can think of Keanu playing was the thug in "I love you to death" and that was a pretty small role.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have you even seen River's Edge or My Own Private Idaho?
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:45 pm
Years ago I'd have totally agreed with you. Not so much any more. Personally, I think that Keanu can bring a lot of nuance to a role. Of course, I suspect that a lot hangs on having a good director.

Denzel, on the other hand... Just feels to me like he's been playing the same character lately. Which is not to say that he's a bad actor. I just feel like I've seen it before. To be honest, I'd rather watch Man on Fire again than either of the Equalizer movies.

Black Lives Matter

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

BTW, editing your posts after I have responded to them is annoying, Hepcat. I'm hoping you will punish yourself accordingly.