Adopting an older cat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Adopting an older cat

Post by Default »

My ex's 83 year old cousin recently died and has a 12 year old cat that is terrified of people. Unfortunately, the only other candidates have dogs. I'm thinking of isolating her in my two room bath/powder room and getting that calming scent diffuser
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kraken

Re: Adopting an older cat

Post by Kraken »

Cats don't perceive scents the same way we do or like the same ones, so I'd skip that part unless they offer such cat-pleasing odors as "terrified chipmunk."

A 12-year-old that doesn't like people is going to be impossible to place anywhere else, so good on you for giving her a chance.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wikihow: How to Calm Your Cat with Aromatherapy
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We took in one of my grandparents cats many years ago. It wasn't that old but it was no longer a kitten. It actually surprised us how well it acclimated to our house. Even got along with our dog.
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

The scent thing is cat-specific. Chewy.com sells it. I might end up with the cat, because the two other candidates have dogs, and Jimmy is leery of that. I have had dogs and cats together and they have gotten along, but Jim hasn't that experience. I prefer a couple of animals, because they keep each other company. Now, my ex's cat used to hiss at Peacock (the other cat) and since she died, Cream is showing her loss by crapping on the furniture if Linda does not get home at the regular time. So, I will most likely get a kitten too.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Default's referring to a Feliway diffuser, which emits an odourless copy of cats' marker pheromones, so it's less about aroma therapy and more about mimicking the natural pheromones cats produce when rubbing against furniture and such.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke

Post by Default »

That's it. Maybe if I run it for a few days before bringing the kitty over, it might help her to acclimate to the new home quicker.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

We have used that stuff in my house several times. Whenever we introduce a new cat, and also when we moved to a new home.
I don't have any control group, so I can't offer scientific evidence of it working. But its probably better to try it that not try it.

Pay attention when you plug it in, and don't put it upside down like I did the first time.

Have you had cat before? Or tried to integrate a cat before?
A separate and enclosed room is a good idea. Make sure there are some good hiding spots available. The cat is going to claim and want to keep some of your towels and such. I recommend having specific ones available in the hiding spots. Some towels or blankets that are designated as Cat Blankets.
Cat may already have some of these in her current house, bring those over with you, even if they are old.

During the integration period, you want Cat to get used to you. But, if every time you go in you try to pet her or whatever, thats not going to work out. You need to take some time to go into the room, and just hang out. Take you laptop or a book, and just sit and do people things so Cat gets used to your presence.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Never really dove into the scent thing but makes a lot of sense, so I'd give it a try, too. Hiding spots are a very good idea, also just plain boxes. Which are preferred over the cat tree that gets delivered in them. By cats. And then in the end: it's a cat, no one will ever be able to predict anything, but I cross my fingers and press my thumbs (a German saying, but the more the better). Offer contact, but if you feel you aren't welcome right away, just stay in the background and offer interaction, do random low noise stuff, cats are so nosey.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We currently have three cats here. Two came with my oldest daughter when she moved home three years ago. We had a fourth but it died of cancer last year. The cat that died was the only one that didn't get along.

Of the three one is very social, loves to be picked up and pet. Another hides most the day, avoids people except for when she wants something. The third, the oldest, is about as good a cat as you could have. Quiet, friendly but doesn't require constant attention.

All cats are different and you never know how they will react.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My three little dogs are the same way.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm Default's referring to a Feliway diffuser, which emits an odourless copy of cats' marker pheromones, so it's less about aroma therapy and more about mimicking the natural pheromones cats produce when rubbing against furniture and such.
Maybe this marker pheromone comes in a vape flavor? You could sit in the room and quietly vape and acclimate the cat. Everybody's happy that way!

Post by Default »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm Default's referring to a Feliway diffuser, which emits an odourless copy of cats' marker pheromones, so it's less about aroma therapy and more about mimicking the natural pheromones cats produce when rubbing against furniture and such.
Maybe this marker pheromone comes in a vape flavor? You could sit in the room and quietly vape and acclimate the cat. Everybody's happy that way!
I picked up a collar today that does the same thing. If I can put it on her before the move, that would probably help.