McNutt

RIP Eddie Money

Post by McNutt »

Dead at 70.

The first song I had the band play at my wedding was "Two Tickets to Paradise."
Smoove_B

Re: RIP Eddie Money

Post by Smoove_B »

I knew he wasn't well, but man that really sucks. I always thought it was cool he embraced his station in life and made that Geico commercial.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

RIP.

I don't think I ever owned any of his albums, but I generally left the station alone when he came on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's especially sad when a celebrity as jovial, self effacing and well adjusted as Eddie Money passes away. I may not have been a fan of his music, but he always struck me as a decent guy.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember last seeing him in some commercials a few years back. He looked pretty bad then.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That pic in the article doesn't look the way I remember him. Cancer of the throat. I think he was a smoker as I recall. May be wrong.

Baby Hold On is my favorite of his. In fact I heard it not long ago. When it came on it reminded me of his song Take Me Home Tonight that was constantly on the car radio when me and my wife met in 87 and 88. I looked it up and it came out in 86 so yup.

Rest and be at peace now man. Life is over. Time to not hurt, feel great, and do things you could not even imagine on this Earth brother. Thanks for the music.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dang. He was part of my soundtrack to growing up in the 80's. To me, he was one of the defining voices of the 80's.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Baby Hold On To Me is such a classic song.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"Shakin'" was one of three songs that stood out when you roller skating. I don't know why. ("Whip It" and "Another Thing(k?) coming" were the other two if you were wondering. You weren't)

Eddie Money had a tradition of bringing in the summer at Pine Knob going back a long long time. He was synonymous with the annual christening of outdoor activity in the Detroit metro area.

RIP.

Edit just read
Eddie Money, who passed away at the age of 70 on Friday, Sept. 13, was a staple at DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston. He opened the venue formerly known as Pine Knob for 28 straight years dating back to 1992. His most recent and final concert was on May 25, 2019.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only songs needed for skating at the rink were Kool and the Gang's Celebration and Blondie's The Man From Mars :)

ALERT! ALERT! THIS IS AN OLD MAN ALERT!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw him as part of a 5-band day-long concert at the old Comiskey Park back in '79. It was supposed to be a 6-band concert, but following Disco Demolition riot (aka, best Sox game I ever attended!) a week earlier, Steve Dahl was prohibited from entering the park.

The other acts were Molly Hatchet (opening act), followed by Eddie Money, Thin Lizzy, Santana, and the headline was Journey. Other things I remember from that show include (1) Ho Ho's and Chivas Regal for breakfast while waiting in lines since 4 am. (2) having, on average, six bowls or joints circulating among our group of 8, (3) drug vendors hawking their wares as if they were hotdog or beer vendors during a baseball game, (4) a garbage fight between us on the field and those in the upper deck -- we discovered watermelon rind could reach that high, unfortunately for those in the lower deck, most other trash fell short (5) Carlos Santana launching into an endless, droning solo during Oye Como Va that put some 80,000 people to sleep and (6) lightning striking the light tower behind the stage while Journey was singing Wheel in the Sky. This signaled a mad dash to the cars, which we failed to get to before the deluge came. An hour later, I recall being in our neighborhood pizza joint still soaking wet.

I credit the weed for helping remember all that happened that day -- most other concert experiences haven't been remembered nearly as vividly. As far as Eddie Money, he performed the only song I knew - Two Ticket's To Paradise (his other hits came later in the 80's) but mostly his was an odd-ball act that didn't fit in with the rest of the bill.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I always liked him because he came across, to me, as a regular guy who just became a rock star. Then musical tastes changed and it seemed the days for his type of music were over. Then he hits it really big with Take Me Home Tonight and I was happy for him because he really did sound good with that newer type of material.

It's a weird feeling realizing that about six years separated Baby Hold On and Take Me Home Tonight, and back then those six years felt like forever to me. Now, six years means 2013, which is not what I'd call the age of the dinosaurs. If someone had a big hit in 2013 then pops up this week with another big hit with a different sound, I'd think it was just a continuation of their career. Back then I was shocked that Eddie Money was still able to elbow aside the Princes and Flock of Seagulls of the world and top the charts.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:50 pm I saw him as part of a 5-band day-long concert at the old Comiskey Park back in '79. It was supposed to be a 6-band concert, but following Disco Demolition riot (aka, best Sox game I ever attended!) a week earlier, Steve Dahl was prohibited from entering the park.

The other acts were Molly Hatchet (opening act), followed by Eddie Money, Thin Lizzy, Santana, and the headline was Journey. Other things I remember from that show include (1) Ho Ho's and Chivas Regal for breakfast while waiting in lines since 4 am. (2) having, on average, six bowls or joints circulating among our group of 8, (3) drug vendors hawking their wares as if they were hotdog or beer vendors during a baseball game, (4) a garbage fight between us on the field and those in the upper deck -- we discovered watermelon rind could reach that high, unfortunately for those in the lower deck, most other trash fell short (5) Carlos Santana launching into an endless, droning solo during Oye Como Va that put some 80,000 people to sleep and (6) lightning striking the light tower behind the stage while Journey was singing Wheel in the Sky. This signaled a mad dash to the cars, which we failed to get to before the deluge came. An hour later, I recall being in our neighborhood pizza joint still soaking wet.

I credit the weed for helping remember all that happened that day -- most other concert experiences haven't been remembered nearly as vividly. As far as Eddie Money, he performed the only song I knew - Two Ticket's To Paradise (his other hits came later in the 80's) but mostly his was an odd-ball act that didn't fit in with the rest of the bill.
I was there and also feeling no pain and will forever remember with absolute fondness the glory of hearing Molly Hatchet loud and live at 10 in the morning.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:49 pm I was there and also feeling no pain and will forever remember with absolute fondness the glory of hearing Molly Hatchet loud and live at 10 in the morning.
They were an awesome opener, that's for sure. I was a big fan, IIRC they had 2 albums out at that time and both I had played to death (and committed to memory).
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm Blondie's The Man From Mars :)
Dude, c'mon. The song is Rapture.

I had the 45 single and would rap along to it so loud in my room with headphones on my Mom would have to come in and shake me to get me to shut up. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm Blondie's The Man From Mars :)
Dude, c'mon. The song is Rapture.

I had the 45 single and would rap along to it so loud in my room with headphones on my Mom would have to come in and shake me to get me to shut up. :lol:
Oh ya...I never do think of that though..always Man From Mars to me. He eats cars I hear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Never did care for that song.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Man, Blondie was so hot back then.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 pm Man, Blondie was so hot back then.
I saw Blondie on a CBGB triple-feature including Jerry Hairston (touring on his solo album), The Tom-tom Club (so, 3 of 4 Talking Heads) and The Ramones. Debbie Harry stole the show.

How we got there from Eddie Money I can't explain. :P
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love that we can take a career like Debbie Harry's and sum it up with saying she "was so hot back then." First, her music is what defined her, not her looks. Second, she is still a great woman who doesn't deserve to be thought of as "was." It's just a shame that we have progressed so little.

But yeah, she was hot as shit. ;)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh yeah, actually I love a great deal of her music, which again is part of my 80's soundtrack. First time I heard her singing Maria, for instance, it gave me shivers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm But yeah, she was hot as shit. ;)
When I saw her, it was post-hottness. It was all about her music being terrific.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found this online today. It was posted back in May.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Take Me Home Tonight" is a perfect earworm with a rich pop history:
Her voice is elegant and joyous, music history dusted off and brought back to urgent life. As Spector wrote in a tribute to Money on Instagram, on Friday, the song helped introduce her to a new generation of listeners, and it got her a record contract and restarted her solo career. More than that, singing that line on the radio again may have been a way of reclaiming it, artistically if not financially, from Phil Spector, of making it hers again. There’s a clip online of Money and Ronnie singing the song on “Letterman,” and, though Money looks as ridiculous as you’d expect, dancing next to a resplendent Spector, the whole thing is truly beautiful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reading through stories about what Ronnie went through with Phil is like reading a horror movie script in the making. I've always been amazed and impressed that she escaped that asshole and forged a career on her own.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lana Clarkson wasn't so lucky.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »