[RIP] Ric Ocasek

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[RIP] Ric Ocasek

Post by hepcat »

I admit, I did not see that coming. Heaven must be putting a band together this last week. :cry:
Covfefe!
Holman

Re: [RIP] Ric Ocasek

Post by Holman »

This hits home.

My earliest serious romantic failure was soundtracked by The Cars.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daniel Johnston also passed away a few days ago. Not a famous musician by any means, but his songs had been covered by the likes of Tom Waits and many other more famous musicians. He also was the subject of an absolutely heart breaking documentary titled The Devil and Daniel Johnston.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Damn.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Damn.

:(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jag

Post by Jag »

That sucks. RIP. Thanks for being one of the soundtracks of the 80s.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had no idea he was 75. I'm not sure how old I thought he was, but I wouldn't have guessed that. That's a tough one. While he was an MTV 80's staple for me as a kid, really his greatest contribution to my generation (IMHO) was producing the Weezer Blue album. That album is...a triumph in its time. RIP Ric. RIP.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Boy, that sucks. The Cars were one of my favorite bands of the late 70's/ early 80's. Had no idea that he was that old. :(

One interesting thing I just noticed was that several of his kids have different last names. Two are Ocasek, two are Otcasek, and one is Otsacek.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was surprised to find out he had produced albums by Guided by Voices and Bad Religion. He had an eye for talent, that’s for sure.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah this sucks. The Cars were definitely one of my favorite 80s bands. Heck, "You Might Think" might be my most watched 80s video of all time (partially because of the music and partially because my ten year old self had a major crush on the chick in it).

A damn good band, and Ric was the coolest. RIP.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This really is unexpected to me. And I also didn't know his age. Thought he was fine. The Cars were one of me and my wife's favorite bands. It was awful when Ben died and now its Ric. Great musician with an Adams family look. I remember when he married Paulina and thought "huh? Someone for everyone. Seems Ric had at least 3 :)

One of the first cassettes other than Def Lepard me and my wife had was The Cars Greatest Hits. We played it all the time. Had it before we had a place to live.

Damn so strange to see RIP Ric Ocasek. Damn strange. I really can tell Ive grown old as the people I grew up watching and listening to are just falling away. Hell who am I kidding Ive know it for a while now with wife and family all gone. Days gone by.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I would have thought mid 60s. However, he has always looked old. He was like a tall Roy Orbison.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McNutt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm I would have thought mid 60s. However, he has always looked old. He was like a tall Roy Orbison.
Thought I was the only one who thought that.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Damn. Listened to a lot of Cars in the 80's.

Guess he drove home tonight... :-(

RIP
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Wasn't he married to some super model or something at one time. He was kind of a doofusy looking guy so I was always proud of him for the wife. Back in the day I didn't get very far into the Cars, but later on I bought some of their music and became quite fond of it.
Black Lives Matter
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Bummer. The Cars were a favorite of mine when I was just growing up and into MTV /classic rock radio.

His death also made me aware of the death of Benjamin Orr (Cars bassist and singer on their best song, Drive) way back in 2000.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:24 am Wasn't he married to some super model or something at one time. He was kind of a doofusy looking guy so I was always proud of him for the wife.
For almost 3 decades. That’s commendable itself.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:36 pm I was surprised to find out he had produced albums by Guided by Voices and Bad Religion. He had an eye for talent, that’s for sure.
And Bad Brains.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I also wouldn't have thunk him that old. We still have 60's music icons roaming the earth not quite dead yet, seems too early be losing 80's era icons.

I didn't always listen to pop in those days, but when I did, The Cars were one of my favorites.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had no idea he produced so much 80s punk but it makes sense. He was one of the godfathers. Music is lucky to have had him and to have accepted him in the 70s so he could go on to make contributions much bigger than I had realized (as if The Cars wasn't enough)
Inverarity wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 am Bummer. The Cars were a favorite of mine when I was just growing up and into MTV /classic rock radio.

His death also made me aware of the death of Benjamin Orr (Cars bassist and singer on their best song, Drive) way back in 2000.
I had no idea Orr died. He actually sung most of favorites. Not to take away from Ric. He wrote the songs but he wrote better songs for Orr... ("All Mixed Up" is my fav followed by "Drive" with "Sincha Gone" with Ric singing being my 3rd)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:37 am I also wouldn't have thunk him that old. We still have 60's music icons roaming the earth not quite dead yet, seems too early be losing 80's era icons.
It's going to be tough, but (for example) David Byrne and Sting are both getting on towards 70. Someday soon we'll be reviewing obits of the people who defined cool when we were teens.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:31 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:37 am I also wouldn't have thunk him that old. We still have 60's music icons roaming the earth not quite dead yet, seems too early be losing 80's era icons.
It's going to be tough, but (for example) David Byrne and Sting are both getting on towards 70. Someday soon we'll be reviewing obits of the people who defined cool when we were teens.
When I think of that, I check my own odometer and, um, yep.

Still, Mick Jagger is still tearing it up, and 1/2 Who is still touring. Some of the later stars might be getting old, but it still seems out of turn.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Still, Mick Jagger is still tearing it up, and 1/2 Who is still touring. Some of the later stars might be getting old, but it still seems out of turn.
Boomers are children of Satan and will live forever.

I was born just days after The White Album and will probably die before Paul and Ringo.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sorry to hear this, I really enjoyed the "new" Cars album a few years back - sounded just like the next album for the most part.

The model he married was Paulina Porizkova, as I recall.

While I loved their music, they were really dull live in concert.

I'll have to look for the stuff he produced.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Boomers are children of Satan and will live forever.

I was born just days after The White Album and will probably die before Paul and Ringo.
The Rolling Stones formed the year I was born. Keith Richards will undoubtedly outlive me.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 pmThe model he married was Paulina Porizkova, as I recall.
Yes, that's her. My wife (whose family background is similar to Paulina's) said that when she was younger, people told her that she looked like her. I'm not nearly as handsome as Ric, though, so that doesn't add up.

Colbert had a nice segment to remember Ric.

Colbert pointed out that Ric was already 34 when The Cars was released in 1978.
Conform or be cast out!