MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Post by naednek »

Well, the Giants couldn't do Bochy a favor and sweep yet win a game against the Dodgers. I'm not very happy how this weekend turned out.

Bumgarner is probably on his way out as well. There needs to be a big change up and unfortunately we got a lame ex dodger GM who did jack shit last offseason.

Gonna be another long year.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Re: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Post by Lorini »

Takes awhile to develop a farm system naednek. Many of our guys are home grown and your GM helped pick them. I'd be a little patient.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well the Angels only need a third baseman, some middle relief, and four starting pitchers and they will be all set.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Royals have the AL Leader in homers and hits and still only won 59 games. :|

Hopefully help is on the way. The crop of starters they picked in 2018 is already starting to hit AA - I expect to see Singar, Kowar and Lynch in the rotation by the end of 2020.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There have been a lot of rumors that the Red Sox may trade Mookie Betts to get under the luxury tax (and to not pay the admittedly substantial new contract that he'll get), which would be incredibly fucking stupid and frustrating. It's really the one move that could convince me to take the 2020 season off (though I doubt that I ultimately would).

We'll just hope for the best, anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 pm Takes awhile to develop a farm system naednek. Many of our guys are home grown and your GM helped pick them. I'd be a little patient.
The Giants farm system really has been a mess for years. And yea, for all the money the Dodgers have spent their best players were either home grown or picked up on the cheap from other teams.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Someone told me yesterday that it was announced that Maddon is gone after the season. Didn't bother looking it up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:55 am Someone told me yesterday that it was announced that Maddon is gone after the season. Didn't bother looking it up.
For confirmation you could look at the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

We'll see where the Cubs go now. Do they trade one or more of the core guys (Bryant/Rizzo/Baez/Contreras) to rebuild the broke-ass farm system? Do they double down by making a run at resigning Castellanos (who is in line for a big payday after his run with the Cubs and is also a Scott Boras client) and adding some front line pitching?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:55 am Someone told me yesterday that it was announced that Maddon is gone after the season. Didn't bother looking it up.
It was on the news this morning. They said it was a "mutual parting," so I imagine is was something like "you can't fire me because I quit!"

A half dozen or so random names were mentioned. It doesn't matter; the annual mantra will once again become "wait until next century" and no one alive today will be in anyway involved.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I can't say I'm upset about this season at all for the Mets. In the beginning they looked like poo, but pulled off a great second half. If they had even a mediocre bullpen they would have made the playoffs. We'll likely lose Wheeler which personally I'm not terribly upset about (he's good, but he will never be great) which still leaves us with 3 great starters and Matz.

I have no idea what they will do with the pen as it's not like they can toss Diaz and they owe Familia a ton of money as well. For the lineup I'd say they are actually pretty good except for CF and 3B. So if they can somehow fix the pen I could see them easily making the WC next year. The Braves look like they will be rolling the division for years. Again... :x

Oh and the Mets pretty much have no farm system so they better be really going for it next year.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Maddon for Angel's manager? You OK with that Jaymann?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:48 pm Maddon for Angel's manager? You OK with that Jaymann?
This season was hardly Asmus' fault, but if Maddon can attract free agents, sure.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd take him. Our manager is kind of an idiot. Not that any manager could win if everyone in the bullpen sucks. :lol: I just checked and the Mets went 46-26 in the second half. Crazy... Might be the best record of the second half. Look at me trying to be positive. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 pm I'd take him. Our manager is kind of an idiot. Not that any manager could win if everyone in the bullpen sucks. :lol: I just checked and the Mets went 46-26 in the second half. Crazy... Might be the best record of the second half. Look at me trying to be positive. :lol:
We'll, if they started off 46-26 and finished 40-50 and missed the playoffs, that would definitely be more painful.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sure would be. The Cubs collapse was just brutal. At least you have a series win in the past 30 years.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 pm I'd take him. Our manager is kind of an idiot. Not that any manager could win if everyone in the bullpen sucks. :lol: I just checked and the Mets went 46-26 in the second half. Crazy... Might be the best record of the second half. Look at me trying to be positive. :lol:
11th in Wins, 11th in ERA, 16th in Saves, tied for third with three CGs, 7th in Shut Outs, 3rd in Quality Starts, 12th in Earned Runs...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have to admit the Brewers had a chance, but that was a Billy Buckner level error. Pr0ner must have had a blast.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Aaaannnnd there went Calloway. Wonder if Maddon wants that job?
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would say that the Mets probably already have someone in mind, but then it's the Mets so I'm sure they don't. :lol: They sure gave him the quick hook. Collins bummed around sucking much worse for many years. (Aside from the whole World Series thing ;) ) The first 4-5 years he did have a really terrible team though.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW I am concerned that the Red Sox will become the Mets in ~ 5 years.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh god they have Dusty Baker on the short list. You might as well chop all the pitchers arms off now. :lol: I would be livid if they hired him.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm Oh god they have Dusty Baker on the short list. You might as well chop all the pitchers arms off now. :lol: I would be livid if they hired him.
Enlarge Image

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I guess it would solve our bullpen problems as all the starters would throw 200 pitches a game. :lol: I actually checked and he did dial it down a ton after killing the Cubs rotation. I believe the front runner right now is Joe Girardi and I wouldn't have any issues with that. It's the Mets though and they will lowball him and he will go somewhere else.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Welcome Braves and Dodgers fans, sit down have a cold one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Why thank you naednek!!! I appreciate that.

In other news, you realize naednek that if they do fire Roberts, he'll probably be the Giants next manager :).
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 am Why thank you naednek!!! I appreciate that.

In other news, you realize naednek that if they do fire Roberts, he'll probably be the Giants next manager :).
might as well complete the collection...

I had so much fun last night. It's a good thing you are not friends with me on FB. I was relentless :P Sorry Proner, SkinnyPuppy (he gets a double whammy with my raiders posts) MHS, and Zaxxon for the deluge of dodger memes. I know I spam, but when it comes to the Raiders and Dodgers I don't hold back :P

Too be honest, I was a little afraid that this would be your year, it's not like you had a bad team. But when you have Kershaw, it's an almost automatic loss :P (when in the playoffs)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

He might bring Kershaw with him though, it's clearly bro love there. Then what? You know Dodgers should have won that game, if Roberts takes Kershaw out after the first HR, the bullpen comes in, finishes it up, and we go on to play another day.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MLB gonna have to address this kind of thing eventually.

KTVU, the Bay Area’s Fox affiliate, recapped the St. Louis Cardinals’ win over the Braves in Game 5 of the National League Division Series with a chyron that read, “Braves Scalped.”

That’s straight out of the yikes factory. Particularly given the conversation that’s surrounded the Braves recently. A Cardinals pitcher of Native American descent objected to the Braves’ infamous tomahawk chop and the team responded Wednesday by toning down its use of the chop. There’s not any good time to roll out a “scalped” headline, but this was a particularly bad one.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A Fox affiliate doing something deplorable? Say it isn't so, Joe!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 pm A Fox affiliate doing something deplorable? Say it isn't so, Joe!
Sam Francisco Fox affiliate no less. But the issue is more generally that the "tomahawk chop" continues and we will continue to see bad headlines/scrawls and Chief Wahoos and red face paint.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The lack of the chop has been blamed for Atlanta's loss by certain state politicians from of course the snowflake party that is the GOP. I'm glad it wasn't the pitchers fault.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:09 pm The lack of the chop has been blamed for Atlanta's loss by certain state politicians from of course the snowflake party that is the GOP. I'm glad it wasn't the pitchers fault.
Everyone knows if you tomahawk chop hard enough and believe, really believe, anything is possible.

Sending chops and prayers to the White Sox for a productive off-season....

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In all fairness I'm sure the tomahawk would have taken three runs off that score...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dave Roberts has reportedly been told he is coming back next year. Good for him.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But will Brian Snitker get the tomahawk chop?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:21 pm Dave Roberts has reportedly been told he is coming back next year. Good for him.
As Bill Plaschke of the LA Times said, I hope they can work with him to make better decisions under pressure.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Baseball Prospectus is suggesting that the Dodgers may indeed trade Seager and some pieces for Lindor of the Indians. Makes sense to me. The Dodgers need a postseason upgrade.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

To the surprise of no one, Cubs hire Ross.

Former catchers seem to have a decent track record when they become manager, but my concern would be he is not far enough removed from many of the current roster to make the leap from worker-bee to boss without the usual complications. Not having a rebuilding project is likely a plus for him, and did seem to command a lot of respect in his final years as a player.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

One of these teams needs to hire Matheny before the Royals name him manager.

I really don't want him as the next Royals manager. :(
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Joe Girardi to the Phillies. I'm sure the Mets underbid because they are idiots. We'll end up with Beltran who has never managed a day in his life. :lol: