Another dbt query into cooking.
I have never made it from scratch.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Re: How to make gravey?

Post by Smoove_B »

You need to clarify as I've heard both red and brown sauces referred to as "gravy". It all depends on where you were raised and whether or not you're correct.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then there's cream gravy, which is flour and milk whisked together in the meat drippings.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The first thing you want to do is remove the "e." After that it is all gravy.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's all gravy in the Navy. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Most basic way is to take equal portions of flour and butter and whisk those together in a sauce pan and cook until the mixture is blonde and starts to smell a little nutty. This is a roux.
Then whisk that roux into warm stock (beef or chicken) in another pan. Add roux slowly and allow gravy to come to a simmer between additions. Add enough roux for the gravy to reach your desired thickness.

Of course there are all kinds of variations and seasonings you can add but that's a basic gravy.
Last edited by Z-Corn on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I want to hear about all sorts of gravy, white, red,clear and purple. I'm not going for one specific meal but for perhaps all future meals.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The purple gravy is a bad batch. Don't take the purple gravy.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Redeye gravy is made with coffee and usually ham.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just remember that the marinade is NOT gravy.

(I once caught an alcoholic friend drinking the marinade because it had whiskey in it. The trouble was that it been soaking raw chicken.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't had redeye in decades and I love it. My family made it so good.

My favorite is sawmill gravy or breakfast gravy. Fry up a skillet of sausage or bacon and keep the grease. Add in a tablespoon or two flour and fry it a min until it a golden brown then pour in a cup or two ( I use a cereal bowl and salt the crap out of it and let it sit to warm a little from the fridge) of evaporated milk or whole milk or a mix of the two. Stir constantly until it bubbles then simmer a moment or two. More milk means thinner gravy less milk is thicker. I like it in between. Can also add pepper to taste.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hey dbt, have you made your pot roast yet? The drippings and brown bits if you browned it can be the base for a good gravy.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:37 pm Haven't had redeye in decades and I love it. My family made it so good.

My favorite is sawmill gravy or breakfast gravy. Fry up a skillet of sausage or bacon and keep the grease. Add in a tablespoon or two flour and fry it a min until it a golden brown then pour in a cup or two ( I use a cereal bowl and salt the crap out of it and let it sit to warm a little from the fridge) of evaporated milk or whole milk or a mix of the two. Stir constantly until it bubbles then simmer a moment or two. More milk means thinner gravy less milk is thicker. I like it in between. Can also add pepper to taste.

Enlarge Image
this is the gravy my wife makes.

And if you sub ground beef instead of sausage you can make Shit on a Shingle as my grandfather called it. He served it during WW2. Ground beef white gravy on toast.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lassr wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:37 pm Haven't had redeye in decades and I love it. My family made it so good.

Enlarge Image
this is the gravy my wife makes.

And if you sub ground beef instead of sausage you can make Shit on a Shingle as my grandfather called it. He served it during WW2. Ground beef white gravy on toast.
It's better using bacon fat and adding a spoonful of sugar (takes the bitterness off). Also, since I use bacon fat and commercial sausage, no added salt is necessary, you're probably getting a half-billion milligrams as-is. To make it even more flavorful, cook the roux to a medium brown. It won't be as thick (unless you add less milk) but it will be much tastier.

I make this often so I don't have to live to old age.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 pm Hey dbt, have you made your pot roast yet? The drippings and brown bits if you browned it can be the base for a good gravy.
I cooked it in the slow cooker. Okay but no applause from the missus.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949