Roof Replacement Question

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Roof Replacement Question

Post by Octavious »

My roof finally has hit it's limit and needs to be replaced before winter. It's a very tiny roof about 700 square feet. As far as I know the underneath hasn't been replaced in probably 30+ years so that needs to be done along with new shingles (Basic asphalt). The guy quoted us $3,800 to tear off all the wood, replace and shingle. From looking online that seems like it might be reasonable, but I've never done a roof... I'm going to try and get at least one more estimate, but this is a friend of a friend so I doubt I'll get a lower price. (Or my friends friends are shitty. :lol:)

Also I have to check, but I don't think that covers removing the materials. Her friend had to handle that herself. So probably toss only 500 bucks on top of that to 4,300. Thoughts? I was hoping it would be cheaper, but I imagine tearing off all the wood and replacing it isn't exactly cheap and takes a lot more time.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Re: Roof Replacement Question

Post by Smoove_B »

Before we moved I had a quote of about $16K to completely replace (re-deck; re-shingle) our roof. F. That. House.

Anyway, I can PM you the name of a guy that did some repair work for me. I had called about half a dozen roofers and unlike the rest of the roofing thieves, he gave me a quote and did the work in less than two weeks.

What I learned (when he did the quote on the repair) is that the variables involved change the price significantly. For what we needed, he had to do a complete rip and replace (as it had already been re-shingled once). The prior homeowner (f that lady, seriously) opted to re-shingle instead of re-roof, she put high-end 30+ year shingles on top of minimum code compliant roof decking. As such, it was too thin to hold the weight and the shingles were breaking apart early (because they were bowing instead of lying flat).

Did I mention how happy I am to not be living in (or owning) that house anymore?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya sure fire it over. I'm very sure it's a rip and replace. There's like 3 layers on there.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

YGM
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Since you have to do it anyway, consider solar panels.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not sure where you are, if it was me in my hot climate I'd be wanting to pay the little bit extra if they use osb board for the osb board with the radiant barrier foil on the downward facing side.
Stop funding for NPR
Holman

Post by Holman »

Under $5,000 sounds pretty good for a whole roof, even a small one. It all depends on whether they do a good solid job.

If they do, you've got 15+ years of security up top. If they don't, you'll be paying somebody else for leak fixes inside of five years.

(As I type here on the third floor, I can hear a goddamn squirrel running around in my attic.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2017 replacement on my home, <2,400 sq ft., 30-year shingles.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My doublewide cost $3000 for a metal roof. Insurance paid.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

I used these guys - I paid about $7500 all in including new wood. They also cut me a new vent. Carla's folks used them too. You might be out of range distance-wise but I was really, really happy with them.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

K seems like it's reasonable, but I'm going to get a couple of other quotes. There's a few other things I want to fix that this other place I found also does.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last time we did ours was the first time it went down to the wood in 30+ years, so I expected a lot of rot. Turned out not to be as bad as I'd feared. They patched less than 100 sq ft, IIRC. This might not apply if you have plywood, but an old-school plank roof doesn't have to be ripped up entirely.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Houses in my area are built like crap. I'm sure it's plywood.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Quote two is 5,500 including both roofs a 50 year warranty that is transferable and it includes removing all materials. He explained exactly all the materials they use company history warranty blah blah blah. This also includes putting in new venting. So I took that offer. Essentially I shouldn't have to worry about my roof ever again.

Only downside is that any extra plywood is an extra 75 per sheet needed. Worst case an extra 1,800 which I doubt all of it needs to be replaced especially the second roof.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this the dude I referred to you?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For $3,800, I'd actually want to read the fine print. $3,800 seems crazy cheap, even for 750 square feet, especially if their redoing the plywood and not just throwing on a 2nd layer. Shingles alone, no labor, no wood, no flash, not corners, no nails, no disposal run between $100 to $200 per 100 square feet in my neck of the woods and I thought you lived in crazy expensive town.

Izzy's price seems to confirm my thoughts. 4000 sq feet = $8000 on his quote.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote:Is this the dude I referred to you?
No this was the local place I had seen that was highly recommended. It's so late in the year that I didn't want to get a third quote.

This is their home advisor link.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.RJWCo ... ngsReviews

I was just very impressed with the reviews and how freaking quick they replied to me. I'll let you know how I feel after it's done.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm The guy quoted us $3,800 to tear off all the wood, replace and shingle. From looking online that seems like it might be reasonable, So probably toss only 500 bucks on top of that to 4,300. Thoughts? I was hoping it would be cheaper, but I imagine tearing off all the wood and replacing it isn't exactly cheap and takes a lot more time.
That sounds like an amazingly great deal to me. Of course it can vary with roof size, materials used and if the underlayment is in good condition.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:04 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm The guy quoted us $3,800 to tear off all the wood, replace and shingle. From looking online that seems like it might be reasonable, So probably toss only 500 bucks on top of that to 4,300. Thoughts? I was hoping it would be cheaper, but I imagine tearing off all the wood and replacing it isn't exactly cheap and takes a lot more time.
That sounds like an amazingly great deal to me. Of course it can vary with roof size, materials used and if the underlayment is in good condition.
My wife's dad used to own a roofing business and yeah that sounds like a solid price if you trust them. Check that if they build to current code or only to what you had on the roof before. In our case we got all kinds of upgrades on a hail claim as they did to current code so we got things like a drip edge on our roof that were not required the last time it was done.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ok, now I'm into this thread because I have to start calling to see about fixing or replacing the roof on my buddy's 450 square foot garage. I think the whole seventy year old roof should go rafters and all, and get replaced with a hip roof. I'd think the insurance savings would eventually make up the difference. :think:
Stop funding for NPR
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

$5500 Seems like a reasonable price. My last roof about 5 years ago for just shingles/felt on a 2600 sq ft house was ~$9500. Insurance paid due to hail damage.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They needed only the two included sheets. So no extra cost just 5500. So freaking happy. I was terrified at what we would find.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and the first guy was full of shit saying there were holes. Thank god I trusted my gut.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In 2011 when the tornado threw trees on ours and ripped the front off it was $12,000. Insurance covered it. This included holes and news plywood and a couple beams. Also switched from metal vents to a full line roof vent.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's a very small house which is why it was relatively low. My friend's estimate was 21,000.