How to remove moss from your roof?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

How to remove moss from your roof?

Post by Zenn7 »

What's the easiest cheap way to remove moss from your roof if you have asphalt shingles (without damaging the shingles/roof) if you are a not handy guy (I have a ladder that I can get on the roof with)?

I know it will keep growing back (not a lot of sun on that side and big tree providing a lot of shade on the part where it's really bad).

Just wondering how others have dealt with this.

In years past when it wasn't quite so bad I went up and literally pulled it off with my fingers and sticks to dig between the shingles as needed or pry when my fingers couldn't easily (with the gloves I had on).
Isgrimnur

Re: How to remove moss from your roof?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association
The most effective method of cleaning algae and moss from a roof is with a 50:50 mix of laundry strength liquid chlorine bleach and water. Apply with a sprayer and allow the solution to dwell on the roof surface for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water. Extended dwell times may be necessary, however, avoid letting the solution dry completely as this may prevent complete rinsing. Take proper precautions to protect landscaping and surrounding areas from the chlorine bleach solution. Use appropriate personal protective equipment when working with chlorine bleach. Algae will disappear and w ash away with subsequent rains. Moss will loosen over time and may be removed with a leaf blower. In severe cases, it may take more than one bleach treatment to kill all of the moss. Never use a pressure washer to clean an asphalt shingle roof as this w ill cause granule loss and very likely premature failure of the roof system.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can't you just become a Hobbit?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Don't roll a stone over it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just had to deal with this and would absolutely recommend Wet and Forget. You need to give it time (it was about a week for moss), but it definitely works. I've used it to clear moss and lichen off roof shingles and fences. It also completely destroyed green algae that was growing in the cracks of my house siding and deck. I picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember) and applied with a hand-pump spay jug.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I think you can install, or have someone install, some Zinc Armor to keep it from coming back https://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Armor-1-rol ... B001QV3GI0

two months
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:41 pm I just had to deal with this and would absolutely recommend Wet and Forget. You need to give it time (it was about a week for moss), but it definitely works. I've used it to clear moss and lichen off roof shingles and fences. It also completely destroyed green algae that was growing in the cracks of my house siding and deck. I picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember) and applied with a hand-pump spay jug.
Did you have to go back up and remove the dead moss afterwards?

Edit: reading up on it, it will eventually clean up the dead mold on it's own, but may take months. That's fine with me, though had I known that, this would have been a better Spring than Fall project here in Michigan.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did (used a broom and scraper to speed things up), but it was also a shed roof and a much smaller space. It works best when the days are warm-ish and the night temperatures drop into the 50s. I think the ideal application temps are between 80 degrees and 50 degrees, but I haven't actually looked at it in a few months. It's early October so you have what, 6" of snow now? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Call it an eco-friendly green roof and ignore it?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:07 pm Call it an eco-friendly green roof and ignore it?
That doesn't work so well if you don't want to replace your roof. Given the cost of a replacement roof, I don't want to replace my roof.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm I did (used a broom and scraper to speed things up), but it was also a shed roof and a much smaller space. It works best when the days are warm-ish and the night temperatures drop into the 50s. I think the ideal application temps are between 80 degrees and 50 degrees, but I haven't actually looked at it in a few months. It's early October so you have what, 6" of snow now? :D
I'm not getting 80 anytime soon, but that 50's overnight might be almost doable (think it's more like 40's right now). If it shows significant progress though, doing it again in say May or early June is certainly an option (especially as I bought 1 gallon concentrate - 6 gallons w/ water - good fro 750-2250 square ft. And I only have about 1000 sq ft house, and only 1 side is an issue, the other side gets all the sun and no significant shade. And I don't think I need to do the add-on room. So, less than 500 sq ft I think.

Got the stuff and a pump sprayer, tomorrow it's up on the rooftop I go.

If you don't ever hear from me again, it would be safe to assume this did not end well.
(Kidding! I've been on the roof several times before and have a much more suitable ladder for getting up (and more importantly, down)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 pm That doesn't work so well if you don't want to replace your roof. Given the cost of a replacement roof, I don't want to replace my roof.
I deserved that. I was aiming for a light hearted comment similar to Jayman and dbt but I suppose they had already claimed that type of response. I tend to be horrible about certain home maintenance jobs (staining the house is the big offender) but I wouldn't seriously suggest leaving the moss. Maybe on a slate roof?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Could you carefully apply a Round-Up product in the mossy area?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 am
Zenn7 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 pm That doesn't work so well if you don't want to replace your roof. Given the cost of a replacement roof, I don't want to replace my roof.
I deserved that. I was aiming for a light hearted comment similar to Jayman and dbt but I suppose they had already claimed that type of response. I tend to be horrible about certain home maintenance jobs (staining the house is the big offender) but I wouldn't seriously suggest leaving the moss. Maybe on a slate roof?
Oh sorry, thought you were being serious (in researching this before, there were some people who were unaware of the damage the moss would cause and others who were adamant that it wouldn't do any damage).

Yeah, I'm horrible about most home maintenance. We stained our deck once early on. Been 14-15 years. I could supply a laundry list of other things that need done, but I won't bore you all with that (I bore you all with enough other details of my life when I start on something).

In fairness, some of this is not laziness, it's lack of money or lack of skill.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Pressure washer?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:33 pm Pressure washer?
And now you've made Issie sad.
Never use a pressure washer to clean an asphalt shingle roof as this w ill cause granule loss and very likely premature failure of the roof system.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay. Learned something new every day.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s the mark of a good day.
It's almost as if people are the problem.