No EL CAMINO thread???

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JSHAW

No EL CAMINO thread???

Post by JSHAW »

You regulars are slippin....

Do I even need to say what El Camino is about?

Saw it today, early morning for me was 10am netfix viewing time, I usually do most of my netflixing at night.

I loved it and everything about it. Seem some critics hate it. Whatever, I'm sure Vince Gilligan didn't make it for the critics approval anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: No EL CAMINO thread???

Post by LawBeefaroni »

JSHAW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm You regulars are slippin....

A car/pickup hybrid?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:25 pm
JSHAW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm You regulars are slippin....

A car/pickup hybrid?
And here I checked myself from saying "I know the El Camino came first but I always preferred Ranchero, which, in turn makes me think this is knock off of Gran Torino" Both the Torino and the Ranchero came better engine. 351 for the win (Windsor or Cleveland). But now you done gone and let the cat out of the bag.
Brian

Post by Brian »

...and that would be wrong anyway.

The Ranchero was released in late 1956 for the 1957 model year.
The El Camino didn't show up on the scene until 1959.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Camino soars!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Tony Alva ripping!

I forgot all about this album.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

My brother in law is restoring a '78 El Camino.

Cool story, bro I know. 😕
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

To be honest I'd lost interest in The Black Keys by this point.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched this tonight. I liked it and thought it was a pretty good way to end Jessie’s story. I’m only sad that
Spoiler:
we didn’t get to find out if Huell is still waiting in that room.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My dad owned an El Camino. We got good money for it when he died.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sadly, Robert Forster passed away today.

I loved him in Jackie Brown. I definitely need to watch El Camino to see him one last time.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished, really enjoyed it. It's not groundbreaking, but it was good to see some closure for Jesse. It was also a great reminder of how remarkably powerful Aaron Paul was on Breaking Bad. He doesn't miss a beat here.

I did think that
Spoiler:
Fat Todd was a little bit distracting. Plemons is still a joy to watch as an utter psychopath though.
Random side note: I didn't realize until tonight that
Spoiler:
Kenny (one of Jack's Nazis) is the same actor who plays Devil on Justified
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Plan on watching it soon. Funny thing is, Netflix has a Christmas movie called El Camino Christmas that is totally not Breaking Bad :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Robert Forster died right before this came out.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/r-i-p-robert-forster/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You don't say...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I said what you said didn't I?..Oh boy. Sorry. I skimmed but skipped it seemed.

He seems SO damn familiar but not sure from what.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

It definetly felt like Breaking Bad, but the story line seemed just basic and bland. It was cool to see the various characters from the past, but wished it offered more.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm the story line seemed just basic and bland.
Totally disagree.
naednek wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm It was cool to see the various characters from the past, but wished it offered more.
Totally agree. I mean I can see why it doesn't it, but it is such a tease to be back in this world for two hours and then have it go away again. I like Better Call Saul, but it's just not the same.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It felt less like a movie about Jesse Pinkman post Breaking Bad as it did a nostalgic trip down memory lane. They tried to cram as many cameos of characters from the series into those two hours as they could, it seemed. Overall, I agree it felt bland, and I would go so far as to say it also seemed uninspired. It ultimately (for me) missed the mark as to why folks loved Breaking Bad so much.

And damn, it sucks that we lost a great one like Robert Forster. Such a wonderful actor. He's one of those rare voices I could immediately recognize with just one word.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:43 am It felt less like a movie about Jesse Pinkman post Breaking Bad as it did a nostalgic trip down memory lane. They tried to cram as many cameos of characters from the series into those two hours as they could, it seemed. Overall, I agree it felt bland, and I would go so far as to say it also seemed uninspired. It ultimately (for me) missed the mark as to why folks loved Breaking Bad so much.

And damn, it sucks that we lost a great one like Robert Forster. Such a wonderful actor. He's one of those rare voices I could immediately recognize with just one word.
so you would say that you agree with naednek? ...
naednek

Post by naednek »

put it this way, if this movie was independent of Breaking Bad, meaning no ties, but about a guy escaping his captors, I don't think the reviews would be glowing. The fact that it had Breaking Bad to stand on made the movie interesting in terms of going down memory lane, but the story wasn't very interesting.

I felt the actors played their parts well and Jesse carried the role just fine, but the meat of the story was just bland.

My opinion, not to diminish your opinion in any way. I enjoyed it, but left kinda disappointed when it was done.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am
hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:43 am It felt less like a movie about Jesse Pinkman post Breaking Bad as it did a nostalgic trip down memory lane. They tried to cram as many cameos of characters from the series into those two hours as they could, it seemed. Overall, I agree it felt bland, and I would go so far as to say it also seemed uninspired. It ultimately (for me) missed the mark as to why folks loved Breaking Bad so much.

so you would say that you agree with naednek? ...
I agree with everything he said except "would you say that you agree with naednek?".
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, in other words, just like most Netflix movies. ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's some gems on Netflix. I think they actually have more good than they do bad. And El Camino isn't really bad, it's just kind of "meh" when you consider its pedigree.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:23 pm There's some gems on Netflix. I think they actually have more good than they do bad. And El Camino isn't really bad, it's just kind of "meh" when you consider its pedigree.
Well, I've suffered through plenty of terrible Netflix movies, but I guess it would depend on what one likes, but my experience is that the bad outweigh the good. Their series on the other hand, I feel have a better track record. There are definitely some gems, but you really have to dig for them seeing as how much content is out there on Netflix.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Just watched and I thought it was very good. I must be easy to please.

Jesse Plemons kind of through me off as he has gained a lot of weight. Other than that I thought the movie completed the Jesse arc nicely.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow and have this one downloaded. Can anyone tell me if this is something that will get me in trouble if the kids are next to me? I don't want them looking over and seeing me watching some Westworld-style orgy. I'm assuming Gilligan wouldn't resort to that kind of stuff.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There is some violence but it’s not over-the-top and over pretty quickly. No nudity as far as I remember.
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

No nudity. There is a hooker scene but you see nothing and hear nothing. No real drug use and only one real scene of violence.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I liked it. It wasn't too ambitious and held my interest throughout. My favorites were Todd and Robert Forester's character. They were awesome.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I just realized that Skinny Pete has always been a true friend to Jessie, always been there when asked and always had his back. He may be the one character in BB that has always been true to his vision of loyalty and honor. Perhaps Hank's partner as well.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Definitely worth watching. It's not Better Call Saul, but has some great moments.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My biggest complaint was
Spoiler:
The welder was a great character. I liked that he was a bad guy, but he was more of a "not my problem" kind of bad instead of a psycho like Todd. I really enjoyed his relationship with Jesse and would have been okay with him giving Jesse that extra bit of money because he felt bad for Jesse. I thought the cowboy standoff was really, really dumb and it ruined his character.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

But he was likely drunk/high at the time of the encounter so not that far fetched. Plus it was pretty clear that he thought Jesse was a pussy/weak....or at least that was my take when Jesse drove away.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Right, but I like it better that the character isn't a killer. He's just a guy who makes his living doing shady stuff.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My only disappointment was:
Spoiler:
When Jessee got the drop on Todd, a couple of shots to the kneecap would have solved most of his problems. Moral dilemma? This fucker kept you caged like an animal.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jesse was broken. He wasn't going to shoot because he knew others would die and that weighed heavily on him.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finally got down to watching this. Meh. Quite an average quality Netflix movie. I never particularly felt like I needed more of Jesse's story to be told and was happy with the way the series ended things. Seeing this didn't convince me that it needed to happen as it never added anything significant to what we already knew. Just felt superfluous. Sure, it was fun seeing some of the characters again, but it never added up to being a must-watch.

I'd have perhaps found it more compelling had it focused on the White Family picking up the pieces and trying to get their lives back on track, leaving Jesse to a possible cameo.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I saw this over Thanksgiving break finally. I thought it was good, and that Aaron Paul did a great acting job throughout. It was basically Jesse's long crawl to freedom, and I thought it did a pretty good job exploring Jesse's aftermath (mental as well as practical) of the end of the show. It's certainly not essential to the Breaking Bad story, but I thought it was a pretty good movie overall.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 pm Jesse was broken. He wasn't going to shoot because he knew others would die and that weighed heavily on him.
You know, too, that if he tried that gun would have gone "click click" and Jesse would have been totally screwed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.