Stargate 25 years

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Stargate 25 years

Post by Daehawk »

1994. 25 years .Wow. Neat read on behind the scenes stuff.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/ ... 203384063/
Davidson had been a handful on the set. “He was having a drug and alcohol problem,” remembers Devlin. “He was having a hard time remembering his lines. We had these giant cue cards, but he couldn’t read them.”

The American-born British model, who earned an Oscar nomination as a trans woman in 1992’s “The Crying Game,” had demanded — and received — $1 million for playing Ra.

“Mario Kassar, who was our executive producer, was doing all the foreign sales,” Devlin recalls. “Jaye was not really what we saw in our heads when we wrote it, but if it helped to finance the movie, great.”

Emmerich recalls when he came to the set “the first bad sign was when his personal assistant, who was the bass player from Frankie Goes to Hollywood, disappeared on the second day with Jaye’s phone, all his petty cash and his methadone. First he was hysterical, then it got really bad. I could write a book about it.”
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Re: Stargate 25 years

Post by TheMix »

Heh...
“Stargate” marked the beginning of partnership between Emmerich and Devlin, who also went on to make the 1996 blockbuster “Independence Day,” 1998’s “Godzilla,” 2000’s “The Patriot” and 2015’s “Independence Day: Resurgence.”
Not sure I'd be bragging about most of those. Or any really. Though I suppose in a "they made money/popcorn flicks" sort of way, maybe.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It depends on motivation. Only needing the check to clear vs. winning an Emmy permit many different paths.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find the original movie to be more interesting than the series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't see Stargate SG1 until it was off Showtime or whatever adult station it started on. When I did I found it too comedic at first. But it grew on me fast and became one of my favorite tv shows ever. I dont think Ive seen those first season/s yet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:44 pm I find the original movie to be more interesting than the series.
Ditto.
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Color me the other way around. The movie was great but the series was EPIC. I believe it paved the way for other long running TV series [Not named star trek, B5, or Farscape]

Also I loved Independence Day. Granted the whole upload a virus to the mothership using an apple was rediculious... But may have paved the way for a resurgence in apple products in schools. Who knows?

Edit for: That's funny now that I think about it but I seem to remember a lot of people talking about apple products in the months following the release of ID. Suddenly a lot of Apple computers started showing up in my HS libary. Suddenly apple was the it thing again. Dunno.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm Color me the other way around. The movie was great but the series was EPIC. I believe it paved the way for other long running TV series
See, that's the thing. What I found about the movie was that it was refreshingly unique and actually quite cerebral. The series made things feel too mundane. I would have preferred a sequel to the movie and left it at that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

One thing I liked about the series was how things progressed gradually over time. Almost like playing X-COM... SG1 started out with grunts exploring worlds and trying to make sense of things, later they're allied with other races, by the end Earth is building starships and fighters.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I enjoyed both. I just treat them as completely different shows. SG-1 was (perhaps along with Farscape), I think, the ultimate example (and possibly the final example) of the action-adventure style show that started in the 80s with the A-Team/Knight Rider, but with characters and plots that I (mostly) enjoyed. They did a great job of building their arc along the way (although I was far less happy with the whole Ori bit than I was with the earlier stuff.) By the time it went off the air, the trend had changed from fun action-adventure shows to gritty, dark, and realistic.

Interestingly enough, the closest you get to that style now are the Devlin shows (Leverage, Librarians), and he was involved with the Stargate movie, but not SG1.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Not much of a fan of the movie, but I love SG1 (and Atlantis. Universe was only OK). It took a few seasons to really hook me (it took a while to find it's style, and also for the world building it had invested in to really pay off), but it was incredibly fun.

Also, the facial expressions of the actors, particularily the ones playing Daniel and Vala, are amazing.

I think the one thing I was mildly disappointed in was how many times the resolution to some (often story-arc) dillema would be solved by some mysterious ancient (or sometimes Ancient) technological McGuffin that would solve the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:44 pm I find the original movie to be more interesting than the series.
I would agree for the most part. However SG1 did hit some good chords in the early years and the cast had great chemistry.
Black Lives Matter