'19-'20 NCAA Basketball Thread - it's Bubblicious!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

'19-'20 NCAA Basketball Thread - it's Bubblicious!

Post by Pyperkub »

Evansville Aces go into Rupp and take down #1 Kentucky!

Evansville coached by...

...Former Kentucky star Walter McCarty
Last edited by Pyperkub on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Re: '19-'20 NCAA Basketball Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

Insane ending to the Duke/Stephen F Austin game. SFA hits a layup with 0.1 seconds on the clock for the win in OT.

Madness ensues.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Juwan Howard era is off to a good start at Michigan. While not ranked at the moment, Michigan is 7-0 with consecutive dominant neutral court wins over top 8 ranked teams (North Carolina and Gonzaga). Apparently, that means that Michigan now owns Atlantis. It'll be interesting to see how high they debut in the next poll. Of course, Michigan's next game is at likely No. 1 ranked Louisville, so I don't know that that the unbeaten season will last much longer.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan went from "receiving votes" in the Week 4 AP poll to No. 4 in the Week 5 poll (with 9 first place votes!). Tomorrow night's game against Louisville is huge - I'm just hoping Michigan doesn't lose momentum. Go Blue!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Michigan completely owned us (UNC) on Thursday. You guys could seemingly get to the rim at will while we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Shooting is clearly going to be a struggle for this year's UNC team; hopefully our offensive rebounding can make up for that deficiency.

I will admit, however, that it made me feel slightly better about UNC that you guys also whooped Gonzaga.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I was really sad when B stepped down at Michigan but I really like Howard from his fab five days so I'm hoping for the best. The number of turnovers really concerned me early but they seem to be cleaning that up and playing better each game. Really enjoying it thus far. Doesn't hurt that one of the coaches Howard brought in sent his daughter to the school I coach at and she is a wonderful athlete to work with making me a fan of his whole staff. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I had somehow missed Howard taking over at Michigan. Granted, not normally a school I keep up with, but was still surprised when I saw him pop up on a post-game interview. Hope they have a good season.

For me - both Maryland and WVU look to be better off than last season, so that's promising. And if/when they fall through, my family and get to root for UMBC in their American East run. That should be enough basketball to keep me busy this year.
disarm

Post by disarm »

There's still a lot of game left, but Indiana is looking pretty damn good against Florida State at halftime...
disarm

Post by disarm »

And down go the Seminoles! It's still very earlyn in the season to say what this really means for Indiana, but taking down Florida State in such an impressive way is a sign of real potential. There has been a lot of doubt due to the poor quality of teams they've played so far, but putting up 80 points and shooting 56% from the field against one of the top defenses is no small feat. Hopefully the Hoosiers can keep it up!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Michigan looked all kinds of out of sorts last night. I think I saw them actually shot in rythm and squared to the basket maybe a handful of times. Horrific night for them after such a successful run to start the season.

On a side note, I can not stand Dick Vitale. He needs to please go away and stop telling his life story during the basketball games I'd like to watch.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Looking like a LONG season for UNC. I've gotten to watch 2 games. UM and OSU. If Carolina can not shoot better than those two games they are going to lose a crap ton of games this year. Their defense was good in the first half last night but they were not even close on probably a dozen open looks. Never set their feet, drifting sideways as they jump and launching the ball so it barely hits the side of the rim seemed to be their most consistant play. Ugly ugly play.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah, we can't shoot at all, which obviously is a problem. In most games we've been able to mask that a bit by getting a bunch of offensive rebounds and thus taking a lot more shots than the other team. But last night we lost our best big man pretty early in the game with an ankle injury; once that happened, we were toast. Unfortunately, it looks like he'll probably be out for a few weeks and we have a brutal schedule. :grund:
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, I humbly request that you stop watching UNC games, Remus...
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have zero expectations for Utah basketball this year, as this team is incredibly young. I think they might have potential, but it'll definitely take a while to get there.

All of which made beating heavily-favored BYU in OT last night all the more satisfying. 8-)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 am Also, I humbly request that you stop watching UNC games, Remus...
They didn't lose a single one I watched last year and I watched a lot of them through the course of the season. I'm not a jinx. I swear.
I'll stop:cry:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Woke up to see that Utah beat Kentucky last night. In the immortal words of Clark W. Griswold, I could not have been more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet. I didn't even watch, as I figured we'd get absolutely smoked by the Cats.

Checked out the highlights this morning. I doubt this team makes much noise in conference (way too young), but it's certainly a fun team to watch.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's starting to get Bubblicious!
Thursday sees most of the bubble action move out west as the Pac-12 and West Coast Conferences take center stage.
Hoping my Bruins can keep playing well, and getting ready for our annual Pac-12 Tourney in Vegas roadtrip...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: '19-'20 NCAA Basketball Thread - it's Bubblicious!

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The only way UNC is playing in any post-season this year is if they can win the ACC tournament. Most of our games have been extremely close - we've lost on shots in the last 30 seconds in five games, I think - but we just can't finish anyone. In many of those games we were up by double digits, often in the last few minutes. It's been an extremely frustrating season.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:34 pm The only way UNC is playing in any post-season this year is if they can win the ACC tournament. Most of our games have been extremely close - we've lost on shots in the last 30 seconds in five games, I think - but we just can't finish anyone. In many of those games we were up by double digits, often in the last few minutes. It's been an extremely frustrating season.
Your best player missed a HUGE chunk of the season, and Roy says the rest are the least talented bunch he's ever coached (or at least I recall him blaming the season on talent). That says a bit about Roy, as well as the players, IMHO.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

He was a bit misquoted, though the idea is similar. What he was trying to say is that this team doesn't have the margin of error of past teams; they need to pay extra attention to doing anything right, because their talent isn't overwhelming the opposition as it often has been in past years. Still, not the best message to send.

But yes, injuries have been a huge part of the season. I don't know how many different starting lineups we've used this year, but it's a ton of them. I would guess that we've played probably fewer than 5 games since the beginning of December with all the players that were expected to be in the starting lineup at the beginning of the year.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I am under no illusions that Alabama can make the bubble or make it into the dance. However, I'm am extremely pleased with Nate Oates first year at Alabama. They are playing hard. The games are exciting. They are playing with HEART. That's a vast improvement over the past two regimes.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Big time road sweep for my Bruins. Loving what Mick Cronin is doing and how well they've come together as a team. We're actually in a temporary tie for first in the pac 12 right now, tho that won't be the case after tonight's games.

Given how bad we were early, we've still got a long way to go if we want to make the tourney, that net of 100 coming into today is tough to overcome.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm I am under no illusions that Alabama can make the bubble or make it into the dance. However, I'm am extremely pleased with Nate Oates first year at Alabama. They are playing hard. The games are exciting. They are playing with HEART. That's a vast improvement over the past two regimes.
bad habits often times rears it's ugly head (too many turnovers, lack luster performance against inferior teams) but I too am very pleased with what I have seen.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'd rather this thread were at the top, and we were all being unproductive at work while streaming the games, arguing over bad calls, and celebrating upsets!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Major upset by little known Corona.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

With the NCAA "Voluntary" is always a questionable term for student athletes, but, assuming they are being safe, safely monitored and protected, this is good news for College Sports fans:
An NCAA vote Wednesday cleared the return of student-athletes to campus in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball on June 1 through June 30, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. This decision ends a moratorium on all athletic activities through May 31.

This doesn’t necessarily mean a rush back to campus for those three sports, as those decisions will be made in concert with state government, local government, conference and university officials.

But the NCAA Division I Council’s vote on Wednesday afternoon marks a significant step – both symbolically and in process – for the possibility of college football and other sports returning in the fall.

Sources told Yahoo Sports that the Division I Council is expected to address sports other than football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball as soon as possible. That could take place within the next week.

The way one source described the process of returning is that it will be more of a step than a leap. The ability for schools to have student-athletes return will depend largely on their state and local government restrictions.

The availability and frequency of testing will be a big issue. There will be no NCAA mandate on required frequency of testing. It will be up to the schools and political decision-makers to develop protocols on the tests, which cost approximately $100 eac