[movies] Knives Out series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MHS

[movies] Knives Out series

Post by MHS »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGqiHJTsRkQ

Why am I just hearing about this? Captain America, General Zod, James Bond, Sonny Crockett all in the same film? What was the casting budget?
Last edited by MHS on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Re: [movie] Knives Out

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because you aren’t following the trailer thread? Of course, my new hobby does move through them pretty quickly.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Ah, yup, I haven’t been in there recently. I actually prefer not to watch trailers, I like going in without having seen some of the best parts of a movie.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I do the same for films that I know I want to see (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.), but I find that watching the trailer channel that I've come across exposes me to films that I would probably never be aware of otherwise.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is pretty high on my “must see” list.

Which means I’ll probably get around to watching it on a Delta flight sometime next June.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

MHS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm . . . General Zod . . .
I had to double check, because I thought to myself "Terence Stamp isn't in this." Faux Zod!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Fretmute wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm
MHS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm . . . General Zod . . .
I had to double check, because I thought to myself "Terence Stamp isn't in this." Faux Zod!
General Frod.

I’m going to a 7:00 showing on Saturday night and I can not wait.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The theatre closest to me added a 2nd preview showing tonight, so I'm going to that. Can't wait!
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

What a fantastic movie!
Hodor.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Cool! Excited to see it!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I quite enjoyed it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Going in a couple of hours. Theaters are usually deserted on Tgiving afternoon as all the normals are gorging and watching sportsball.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Going Sunday! :pop:
-mf
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It was a really good, comedic, fair play whodunnit. I enjoyed it a lot.
Spoiler:
I figured out that the vials had been switched beforehand because when Plummer's character talked about switching morphine as a deadly weapon (and because the antidote was missing). That said, my first theory was that he realized he hadn't been poisoned because he wasn't feeling the symptoms the nurse had mentioned (and either pretended to be dead to figure out who tried to kill him, or that the whole morphine thing was a red herring and he was killed independent of it). I later figured it was Evan's character when the arson happened, because I realized he was the only potential murderer who would have realized that the body didn't have morphine in it because she'd told him of the accident. Also, he seemed like the most likely person to have set off the dogs at 3am (which didn't prove anything in itself, but was suspicious).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Eight tentacles up. Whodunnits aren't really my thing, but over the past few months Wife and I have watched several old Hitchcock and Agatha Christie movies so I'm at least passing familiar with the genre. Knives Out ranks with the best of them.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Absolutely awesome movie. Saw it over the weekend down by my folks. Entertaining from beginning to end.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hentzau wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 pm Absolutely awesome movie. Saw it over the weekend down by my folks. Entertaining from beginning to end.
Agree 100%!! Not my usual cup of tea but this one just worked really well, the entire cast was fantastic.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

rittchard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:30 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 pm Absolutely awesome movie. Saw it over the weekend down by my folks. Entertaining from beginning to end.
Agree 100%!! Not my usual cup of tea but this one just worked really well, the entire cast was fantastic.
And another vote for a totally awesome cast and movie. 8-)
-mf
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Loved it except for the scene where someone was using WindowsXP in 2019. :mrgreen:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Exodor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 am Loved it except for the scene where someone was using WindowsXP in 2019. :mrgreen:
The guy was 85 years old ;)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to seeing this last night. Brilliant movie, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Was quite surprised that the big megaplex by me still has four showings a day for a niche movie that has been out for nearly two months. We went to a 4:00 showing and the theater was about 3/4 full too. Glad to see such a quality film have such great longevity.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 pm Finally got around to seeing this last night. Brilliant movie, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Was quite surprised that the big megaplex by me still has four showings a day for a niche movie that has been out for nearly two months. We went to a 4:00 showing and the theater was about 3/4 full too. Glad to see such a quality film have such great longevity.
It's breaking $150M domestically this weekend so I'm thrilled it's found an audience.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rian Johnson can do very little wrong for me. I've been a huge fan of his since the outstanding Brick.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

FYI: If you have Amazon Prime, Knives Out is now available to watch on it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 pm FYI: If you have Amazon Prime, Knives Out is now available to watch on it.
Excellent - thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wife and I had a rare movie night and watched it on Amazon Prime last weekend. We both really enjoyed it - a lot of fun.
hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm Rian Johnson can do very little wrong for me. I've been a huge fan of his since the outstanding Brick.
Jospeh Gordon-Levitt is credited in the movie as the voice of "Detective Hardrock". The wife and I saw Brick on an early date, so it was fun to see him [edit]well, hear him and see his name[/edit] here (I think he may appear in some form in all of Johnson's films), and we thought the name was clever.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:22 am This is pretty high on my “must see” list.

Which means I’ll probably get around to watching it on a Delta flight sometime next June.
maybe next, next June
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:51 pm Wife and I had a rare movie night and watched it on Amazon Prime last weekend. We both really enjoyed it - a lot of fun.
hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm Rian Johnson can do very little wrong for me. I've been a huge fan of his since the outstanding Brick.
Jospeh Gordon-Levitt is credited in the movie as the voice of "Detective Hardrock". The wife and I saw Brick on an early date, so it was fun to see him [edit]well, hear him and see his name[/edit] here (I think he may appear in some form in all of Johnson's films), and we thought the name was clever.
I watch Brick once a year. I don't do that with many movies.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Consider this the obligatory post questioning his treatment of the second Star Wars film in the latest trilogy. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sure. And the answer is, he made a good entry.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Finally got around to seeing KNIVES OUT via Netflix disc. Agree that it was great fun!

I was reminded (just because of the "funny whodunnit" factor) of MURDER BY DEATH, which I haven't seen since I was a kid.

And speaking of great casts:
Murder by Death is a 1976 American comedy mystery film directed by Robert Moore and written by Neil Simon. The film stars Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood.

The plot is a broad parody or spoof of the traditional country-house whodunit, familiar to mystery fiction fans of classics such as Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. The cast is an ensemble of British and American actors playing send-ups of well-known fictional sleuths, including Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, Nick and Nora Charles, and Sam Spade. It also features a rare acting performance by author Truman Capote.
Does anyone know if it holds up? I suspect that Peter Sellers' version of Charlie Chan ("Sidney Wang") has not aged well.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:53 pm Sure. And the answer is, he made a good entry.
Maybe had it been a solo movie, but as part 2 it was treated as a solo movie.

I know, not the right place for this. I will walk away. :whistle:
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:07 pm Finally got around to seeing KNIVES OUT via Netflix disc.
Netflix discs are still a thing??? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:53 pm Sure. And the answer is, he made a good entry.
Maybe had it been a solo movie, but as part 2 it was treated as a solo movie.

I know, not the right place for this. I will walk away. :whistle:
As you should. You got your answer, after all. :twisted:
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:07 pm Finally got around to seeing KNIVES OUT via Netflix disc.
I watched it on Amazon Prime today. Daniel Craig playing a "southern gentleman" was the highlight of the movie.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Weirdly, yes. There are plenty of movies unavailable for streaming that you can get on DVD.

I have no idea what the economics are here. Some years ago it made sense that big movies went from the theater to DVD and only then to streaming, but it doesn't seem to map out that way now.

FWIW, the Ian McKellan Richard III was unavailable in any format (DVD or streaming) for several recent years. Ebay would occasionally cough up one of the older DVDs, but at an absurdly inflated price.

Just now it popped up on Amazon Prime for streaming like nothing ever happened. I assume all this had something to do with studio rights and maybe some group's bankruptcy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as I can still get Betamax tapes, I’m good.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Weirdly, yes. There are plenty of movies unavailable for streaming that you can get on DVD.

I have no idea what the economics are here. Some years ago it made sense that big movies went from the theater to DVD and only then to streaming, but it doesn't seem to map out that way now.

FWIW, the Ian McKellan Richard III was unavailable in any format (DVD or streaming) for several recent years. Ebay would occasionally cough up one of the older DVDs, but at an absurdly inflated price.

Just now it popped up on Amazon Prime for streaming like nothing ever happened. I assume all this had something to do with studio rights and maybe some group's bankruptcy.
Yeah, there are lots of movies that aren't available on streaming subscription services, and some movies and TV shows that aren't available at all via streaming. Often, IIUC, it's rights issues (especially for older movies, where the contracts might not cover streaming, or where it might not be clear which studio has the rights?). In other cases, it might just be that there's less interest for the movie by the streaming companies.

That said, when I last tried Netflix's DVD service, over 5 years ago, their service was in a pitiable state, with plenty of discs (at least, those I was interested in) unavailable or unreadable.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:09 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Yeah, there are lots of movies that aren't available on streaming subscription services, and some movies and TV shows that aren't available at all via streaming. Often, IIUC, it's rights issues (especially for older movies, where the contracts might not cover streaming, or where it might not be clear which studio has the rights?). In other cases, it might just be that there's less interest for the movie by the streaming companies.

That said, when I last tried Netflix's DVD service, over 5 years ago, their service was in a pitiable state, with plenty of discs (at least, those I was interested in) unavailable or unreadable.
Turnaround speed and disc availability/condition have all deteriorated over the past few years. I'll eventually switch our netflix account from CDs to streaming for that reason. Meanwhile, there are still some things I want to watch without subscribing to multiple new streaming services -- we just started Handmaid's Tale, for example, which is a Hulu original. I don't want to pay $12/mo for their ad-free streaming. Prior to that, we binged all eight seasons of Dexter, which I think would've required a Showtime sub. After Handmaid we'll probably rent Orange is the New Black, which I think is HBO. There are, like, half a dozen different HBOs. Who wants to mess with that? On disc, I can watch all three series without needing three different subscriptions.

Netflix still has 100,000 titles on DVD compared to around 6,000 via streaming, and DVDs still account for 1/3 of their revenues. They might not be investing in the service like they should, but it ain't gone by a long shot.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm

Turnaround speed and disc availability/condition have all deteriorated over the past few years. I'll eventually switch our netflix account from CDs to streaming for that reason. Meanwhile, there are still some things I want to watch without subscribing to multiple new streaming services -- we just started Handmaid's Tale, for example, which is a Hulu original. I don't want to pay $12/mo for their ad-free streaming. Prior to that, we binged all eight seasons of Dexter, which I think would've required a Showtime sub. After Handmaid we'll probably rent Orange is the New Black, which I think is HBO. There are, like, half a dozen different HBOs. Who wants to mess with that? On disc, I can watch all three series without needing three different subscriptions.

Netflix still has 100,000 titles on DVD compared to around 6,000 via streaming, and DVDs still account for 1/3 of their revenues. They might not be investing in the service like they should, but it ain't gone by a long shot.
If it works for you, and you're diligent enough to regularly cancel and switch, I would recommend rotating services. Then you would only have to pay one service a month, or even less, since services often let you use a promo code if you haven't used one in the last year (or in the case of CBS, if you haven't used one since the last time you used one - speaking of which, there's currently a promo for a free month of CBS in the video thread in the bargains forum).

Personally, my own DVD and digital library is large enough to satisfy me if I need it, but Prime I get anyway, and once every so often I'll get a months subscription to something.