[movies] Knives Out series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [movie] Knives Out

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm

Turnaround speed and disc availability/condition have all deteriorated over the past few years. I'll eventually switch our netflix account from CDs to streaming for that reason. Meanwhile, there are still some things I want to watch without subscribing to multiple new streaming services -- we just started Handmaid's Tale, for example, which is a Hulu original. I don't want to pay $12/mo for their ad-free streaming. Prior to that, we binged all eight seasons of Dexter, which I think would've required a Showtime sub. After Handmaid we'll probably rent Orange is the New Black, which I think is HBO. There are, like, half a dozen different HBOs. Who wants to mess with that? On disc, I can watch all three series without needing three different subscriptions.

Netflix still has 100,000 titles on DVD compared to around 6,000 via streaming, and DVDs still account for 1/3 of their revenues. They might not be investing in the service like they should, but it ain't gone by a long shot.
If it works for you, and you're diligent enough to regularly cancel and switch, I would recommend rotating services. Then you would only have to pay one service a month, or even less, since services often let you use a promo code if you haven't used one in the last year (or in the case of CBS, if you haven't used one since the last time you used one - speaking of which, there's currently a promo for a free month of CBS in the video thread in the bargains forum).

Personally, my own DVD and digital library is large enough to satisfy me if I need it, but Prime I get anyway, and once every so often I'll get a months subscription to something.
I did that with CBS -- watched all of their Star Trek and then canceled before they charged me. When they have enough new ST shows to make it worthwhile, I'll do that again. In general, though, that's more micromanaging than I want to do to watch TV. I don't want to be constantly juggling special deals.

We're still paying about $75/mo less for streaming than we did for cable, so the budget has room to add a basket of permanent or long-term accounts. Once I chew through my DVD queue, I'll switch netflix to streaming and then add other "channels" as the urge strikes. I already whacked the queue down from 90+ discs to around 45, and I haven't added anything to it in months. By the end of this year I might be played out on DVDs.

Meanwhile, between Amazon Prime and all the stuff my virtual DVR slurps down from YouTube TV, I already have more content than I can ever find time to watch (old movies on TCM ftw!). I just finished watching the first episode of The Man in the High Castle, and I've barely scratched the surface of Amazon.

What was this thread about again?

Oh yeah...Knives Out! Best movie of last year, IMO.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

lookee what i found in a free book pile by the sidewalk tonight:

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm Prior to that, we binged all eight seasons of Dexter, which I think would've required a Showtime sub. After Handmaid we'll probably rent Orange is the New Black, which I think is HBO. There are, like, half a dozen different HBOs. Who wants to mess with that? On disc, I can watch all three series without needing three different subscriptions.
Not to take away from the larger point, but Orange is the New Black is a Netflix original and I think Dexter is streaming on Netflix (or at least was when I watched it a few years back).
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 am lookee what i found in a free book pile by the sidewalk tonight:
... Good luck!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:07 pm Finally got around to seeing KNIVES OUT via Netflix disc.
Netflix discs are still a thing??? :shock:
I watched it on Amazon Prime today. Daniel Craig playing a "southern gentleman" was the highlight of the movie.
Have you seen Logan Lucky? I think you might enjoy it.

I saw Knives Out last night and liked it after the first 20 minutes which were just too slow for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I watched Knives Out for the first time this weekend. It's delightful. In another day and age, it probably wouldn't have stood out quite as much for its quality, but good, mid-budget movies are practically extinct these days.

I absolutely the loved the first third, which was basically just the entire family being jerks. Each character was so distinct, so well-written, and the acting was phenomenal. Jamie Lee Curtis especially.

The latter portion was fun, but more of a standard mystery procedural. Still very satisfying overall.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 pm I watched Knives Out for the first time this weekend. It's delightful. In another day and age, it probably wouldn't have stood out quite as much for its quality, but good, mid-budget movies are practically extinct these days.

I absolutely the loved the first third, which was basically just the entire family being jerks. Each character was so distinct, so well-written, and the acting was phenomenal. Jamie Lee Curtis especially.

The latter portion was fun, but more of a standard mystery procedural. Still very satisfying overall.
If you liked this, you might like the Kenneth Brannaugh movie Dead Again. Another star-studded movie that keeps you guessing.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched it a few days ago and I while I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as most of my friends did. I think I may have been a victim of overhype.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:I watched it a few days ago and I while I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as most of my friends did. I think I may have been a victim of overhype.
I enjoyed it, my wife hated it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 pm
If you liked this, you might like the Kenneth Brannaugh movie Dead Again. Another star-studded movie that keeps you guessing.
Oh, I haven't watched that in ages. Maybe college? Great idea.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm
YellowKing wrote:I watched it a few days ago and I while I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as most of my friends did. I think I may have been a victim of overhype.
Why did she hate it? Thinking of watching w/Mrs. Kub one of these days
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm
I also enjoyed it, and my wife hated the first half. She hates seeing people being nasty, selfish assholes so she just wanted to check out until they finally got to the "solving the murder" bit.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:49 am
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm
I also enjoyed it, and my wife hated the first half. She hates seeing people being nasty, selfish assholes so she just wanted to check out until they finally got to the "solving the murder" bit.
I'm guessing she is not a fan of Seinfeld or Sunny in Philly. :D Mind you, I don't disagree. I'm not a fan either. Though it didn't bother me in the movie since it's so short that we really don't have to get vested in the characters.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

[quote="Pyperkub”]Why did she hate it? Thinking of watching w/Mrs. Kub one of these days[/quote]
She thought it was boring and predictable. The way they develop the characters is a little non-traditional, so they can feel a bit flat. It just never really grabbed her.

I enjoyed it, but didn’t think that it lived up to the hype it had. It’s was good, but not great.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

TheMix wrote:I'm guessing she is not a fan of Seinfeld or Sunny in Philly. :D Mind you, I don't disagree. I'm not a fan either. Though it didn't bother me in the movie since it's so short that we really don't have to get vested in the characters.
Those are my wife’s two favorite shows. It didn’t help her enjoy the movie. :)

Make up bags of change
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well while we're trashing it... :twisted:

Seriously though, my problems were:

- I found Daniel Craig's accent more annoying than charming. I know it was supposed to be over the top and silly, but the joke wore thin on me after about 2 minutes.

- Without going into spoilers, some character traits and plot points felt really contrived. Again, I know this is a bit of a send-up of mystery movies so they were supposed to be contrived. Again, the joke wore thin on me.

I think it's one of those movies that if I caught it in the right mood, I might have loved. Instead, I felt like I was watching a comedy act that I wasn't the target audience for. I can understand why the people that loved it loved it, but it just didn't quite land for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm I can understand why the people that loved it loved it, but it just didn't quite land for me.
When you get a gaggle of stars together for a movie, lots of people are going to like it regardless of the quality of the script. Been that way at least since the Cannonball Run movies.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It landed with me because I didn't know much about it going in, except that it was an old-school whodunnit with a good cast that was getting good reviews, if not boffo box office. It was a low-budget film that came out of nowhere during summer blockbuster season, IIRC. Not a franchise, not a sequel, not a known property, not even a popular genre. Hollywood doesn't make many movies like that anymore.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now it is a known property worth a sequel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If they wanted to make a series out of it, they should have licensed the Child & Preston Pendergast series. Craig would need to be more pompous though.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm I can understand why the people that loved it loved it, but it just didn't quite land for me.
When you get a gaggle of stars together for a movie, lots of people are going to like it regardless of the quality of the script. Been that way at least since the Cannonball Run movies.
Weird example, since Cannonball Run was FREAKING AWESOME!!! :auto-car: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-nascar:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jeff V wrote:If they wanted to make a series out of it, they should have licensed the Child & Preston Pendergast series. Craig would need to be more pompous though.
There was a Pendergast television series in development a few years back but it was killed. I'm really shocked the Pendergast novels haven't been adapted in some form or fashion to movies or TV yet.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 pm Weird example, since Cannonball Run was FREAKING AWESOME!!! :auto-car: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-nascar:
Wikipedia wrote:Despite its box office success, most critics reviewed the film negatively. It has received an approval rating of 30% on Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes based on 33 reviews. Roger Ebert gave the film a half-star out of four, calling it "an abdication of artistic responsibility at the lowest possible level of ambition. In other words, they didn't even care enough to make a good lousy movie".
My teenage self liked it well enough. Fond memories quickly dissipated when I watched it again a few decades later.

I suspect there's a limit on how many A-listers you can get together before the set resembles a party and nobody has a role substantial enough to take seriously. They can be fun to watch (I liked the Expendables movies for example), but they don't hold up well under close scrutiny nor down the road as feather in an actor's cap (well, except, perhaps, Burt Reynolds).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am Fond memories quickly dissipated when I watched it again a few decades later.
I think I've found the problem here.

It's kind of funny that you actually researched the critical reaction to Cannonball Run based on my comment, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
JCC

Post by JCC »

The original Cannonball Run is definitely a classic. I remember watching it with my family for the first time in a long time on a beach trip in my late 20's or so and I was weeping with laughter.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am It's kind of funny that you actually researched the critical reaction to Cannonball Run based on my comment, though.
I actually remembered that it was critically panned. Now, I've mentioned before I have a pretty high tolerance for bad movies, especially this sort. More so when the movie is flush with any or all of Joe Bob Briggs acclaimed "three B's."
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thankfully in this case, the quality of the script was great.

...although all films would benefit from an end credit blooper reel featuring Dom Deluise.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Watched it this weekend and enjoyed it. I had the mistaken idea that this was primarily a comedy - definitely not the case. I did like it though - some clever stuff.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 am
Thankfully in this case, the quality of the script was great.

...although all films would benefit from an end credit blooper reel featuring Dom Deluise.
Also, everyone knows the best Burt/Dom team up is Smokey and the Bandit part 2. Dom just really nails the veterinarian role, it's like he was born for it :twisted:
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It IS a multi faceted, layered and nuanced performance that really captures the tragic humor of the character.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 pm Weird example, since Cannonball Run was FREAKING AWESOME!!! :auto-car: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-nascar:
Wikipedia wrote:Despite its box office success, most critics reviewed the film negatively. It has received an approval rating of 30% on Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes based on 33 reviews. Roger Ebert gave the film a half-star out of four, calling it "an abdication of artistic responsibility at the lowest possible level of ambition. In other words, they didn't even care enough to make a good lousy movie".
My teenage self liked it well enough. Fond memories quickly dissipated when I watched it again a few decades later.

I suspect there's a limit on how many A-listers you can get together before the set resembles a party and nobody has a role substantial enough to take seriously. They can be fun to watch (I liked the Expendables movies for example), but they don't hold up well under close scrutiny nor down the road as feather in an actor's cap (well, except, perhaps, Burt Reynolds).
You also have to weigh any particular decade's cocaine-to-cast ratio.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Love the title.

I expect it means there are many many layers to the story, and yet it’s actually totally transparent.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I watched the original with my mom and was looking forward to seeing this new one with her, and now she's not here any longer :( :( :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Got tickets to see Glass Onion tonight. The reviewers are all raving about it and I loved Knives Out so I'm going in with high expectations.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

What an amazing movie. Better than the first, maybe? But different enough to stand on its own.

See it when you can.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Exodor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:27 pm What an amazing movie. Better than the first, maybe? But different enough to stand on its own.

See it when you can.
I'm going to see it on Saturday. Can't wait!
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Was the first one a Netflix movie as well? I don't remember hearing much of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti