[Film] The Eternals - Nov 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] The Eternals - Nov 2021

Post by Isgrimnur »

ComingSoon
The Eternals is based upon Jack Kirby’s comic of the same name. That series introduced a group of immortals called the Eternals and their rivals, the Deviants. Within the comics, Thanos and the other inhabitants of Titan were also Eternals. It’s unclear if the MCU will maintain that connection.

The film will feature a star-studded cast led by Academy Award-winning actress Angelina Jolie and Game of Thrones alum Richard Madden, who are headlining as Thena and Ikaris, respectively. It will also as star Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick) as Kingo, Lauren Ridloff (The Walking Dead) as Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta) as Phastos, Salma Hayek (Frida) as Ajak, Lia McHugh (The Lodge) as Sprite, Don Lee (Train to Busan) as Gilgamesh, Gemma Chan as Sersi, Barry Keoghan as Druig and Kit Harrington as Dane Whitman/ Black Knight.

Chloe Zhao is directing Eternals from a script by Matthew K. Firpo and Ryan Firpo. It will hit theaters on November 6, 2020.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon May 24, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] The Eternals - Nov 6, 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kumail Nanjiani got jacked.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: [Film] The Eternals - Nov 6, 2020

Post by Zaxxon »

Prob need a thread title edit...

Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] The Eternals - Nov 2021

Post by Isgrimnur »

Their definition of interfere seems a bit off.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:41 am Their definition of interfere seems a bit off.
Uhhuh.

Also...

Thanos: Destroys half of all life.
[Rest of the] Eternals: Nah, still not enough reason to interfere.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

51% is where they draw the line.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Am I the only one who has almost zero desire to see this? I'm a big Marvel fan, but I never really cared for the Eternals comics, nor the Inhumans in the comics and when Agents of Shield really started going down that path, we tuned out and haven't picked it up again.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I know nothing about The Eternals and this trailer didn't do anything for me. Maybe if they gave me a better idea of the story I would gain some interest.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the Cliff Notes:
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:54 pm I know nothing about The Eternals and this trailer didn't do anything for me. Maybe if they gave me a better idea of the story I would gain some interest.
Yah. IMHO this could be a HUGE misstep by Marvel/Disney. It (launching a pretty obscure property) worked with Guardians of the Galaxy, but post-Endgame it's going to be really difficult to launch another unknown property.

If Black Widow doesn't have a massive hook to this in some way which doesn't ruin Black Widow, I think this may bomb, at least in theaters.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:57 pm Here's the Cliff Notes:
Enlarge Image
Side note - if you haven't watched SyFy's Resident Alien, it's great, and has a fantastic segment with this guy!

stessier

Post by stessier »

I have never read any of the comics, but Marvel has yet to disappoint me so I'm all in.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

stessier wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm I have never read any of the comics, but Marvel has yet to disappoint me so I'm all in.
Ditto!

I read a few of the comics but never got too into them. I really thought this was a bad idea when I first heard about it, but now I'm definitely more and more intrigued. I like the cast, especially Gemma Chan (though I'd probably trade Lena Headey for Angelina and maybe throw Emilia Clarke in there for fun, then rename the movie Game of Eternals), and have high hopes for newly minted Academy Award winner Chloe Zhao as director.

I suspect/hope there will be references to Thanos and why they did not interfere (or did half of them get zapped too, or is this the reason they are now getting involved?), and even more that something about the movie will continue to drive toward Dr. Strange 2 and/or somehow relate to how they introduce mutants into the MCU.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Did we have mutants in the Marvel universe at all before the "blip"? Wonder if they will do something a little cheesy and introduce mutation in those that returned. Seems that would really conflict with the extensive backstories already in place from the comics, but they do have a bit of a conundrum.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rittchard wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pm (though I'd probably trade Lena Headey for Angelina and maybe throw Emilia Clarke in there for fun, then rename the movie Game of Eternals),
Lena would play Cersi, right?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rittchard wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pm
stessier wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm I have never read any of the comics, but Marvel has yet to disappoint me so I'm all in.
Ditto!

I read a few of the comics but never got too into them. I really thought this was a bad idea when I first heard about it, but now I'm definitely more and more intrigued. I like the cast, especially Gemma Chan (though I'd probably trade Lena Headey for Angelina and maybe throw Emilia Clarke in there for fun, then rename the movie Game of Eternals), and have high hopes for newly minted Academy Award winner Chloe Zhao as director.

I suspect/hope there will be references to Thanos and why they did not interfere (or did half of them get zapped too, or is this the reason they are now getting involved?), and even more that something about the movie will continue to drive toward Dr. Strange 2 and/or somehow relate to how they introduce mutants into the MCU.
I think it more likely to be looking at relaunching the FF (already announced), than Mutants. Even more likely is the Adam Warlock ending of GotG 2, as GotG 3 has also been announced.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Freyland wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm Did we have mutants in the Marvel universe at all before the "blip"? Wonder if they will do something a little cheesy and introduce mutation in those that returned. Seems that would really conflict with the extensive backstories already in place from the comics, but they do have a bit of a conundrum.
Doc Strange is setting up the "multiverse of madness". My guess is that the movie is going to end with bringing mutations into the MCU via multiverse fuckery (with a nod towards Wandavision).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jag wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:42 pm
Freyland wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm Did we have mutants in the Marvel universe at all before the "blip"? Wonder if they will do something a little cheesy and introduce mutation in those that returned. Seems that would really conflict with the extensive backstories already in place from the comics, but they do have a bit of a conundrum.
Doc Strange is setting up the "multiverse of madness". My guess is that the movie is going to end with bringing mutations into the MCU via multiverse fuckery (with a nod towards Wandavision).
I just read Raimi is directing this. I may have to go to the theatre for this one.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am at. I knew nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy except that there was a talking raccoon and sort of talking tree, which seemed incredibly stupid to me. Yet I really enjoyed both movies. They've had a few C+ efforts (Thor 2 and Iron Man 2), but even so, they've had more A/A+ movies for me than most franchises. I'll give any movie they make a shot. Frankly the one I actually care less about is the Ten Rings movie, I'm not sure I'm interested in a Marvel martial arts movie, but I'll even give that a chance.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:46 pm
rittchard wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pm (though I'd probably trade Lena Headey for Angelina and maybe throw Emilia Clarke in there for fun, then rename the movie Game of Eternals),
Lena would play Cersi, right?
Heeheehee you read my mind!!!!!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Marvel's Superman.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would be one of the following: Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, or Blue Marvel

Sincerely,

One giant nerd
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This trailer has me 14% more interested.

I like the colossus or whatever it is. It's spooky.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Is this movie the beginning of phase 4?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Widow started it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:30 am This trailer has me 14% more interested.

I like the colossus or whatever it is. It's spooky.
I was curious. I googled.
Spoiler:
Arishem the Judge
But I have no idea what that means.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really am surprised that they're going to feature the Celestials in such a way that appears to be very close to the comics. I just assumed we'd get the standard "giant black cloud" shit they did for Galactus all those years ago in one of the Fantastic Four movies.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Angelina looking good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Makes me want to go to IKEA.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

IKEA is an immortal group placed on earth by the celestials in order to help us acquire cheap furniture?

…I swear to god, if you follow this up with a pun using board/bored I will smack that Allen wrench out of your hand.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:29 pm IKEA is an immortal group placed on earth by the celestials in order to help us acquire cheap furniture?

…I swear to god, if you follow this up with a pun using board/bored I will smack that Allen wrench out of your hand.
My son (17) refers to Allen wrenches as an 'IKEA tool.' He's content that it is the proper name for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:52 amThat would be one of the following: Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, or Blue Marvel
I'd vote Sentry. Not only is he sun-fueled, but he was the only character in the entirety of the Marvel Universe that couldn't be taken down by all of the Marvel Zombies in that line. He had to be tricked into reverting to his human form before he could be bitten, and the inability to stop him is what compelled the Watchers to send him to Earth and lock the loop in place.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

P.S. my money would actually be on Gladiator from the Imperial Guard. I still remember a fantastic four storyline that resulted in Gladiator lifting the Baxter Building off the ground….which made Reed Richards finally realize that Gladiator wasn’t actually physically strong, but rather one of the most powerful telekinetics in existence because he kept the building intact while uprooting it. I think the final analysis was that he had tactile telekinesis, which meant it extended only to things he was touching. So it appeared he was super strong.

I’m sure it’s been retconned since then, but that made him one of my favorite characters for years, just because I thought it was so imaginative.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And unlike Hyperion, Sentry, or Blue Marvel, Gladiator is cool.

Any excuse to post this fight.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fun fact I just learned: the Imperial Guard was a blatant attempt to recreate DC’s Legion of Superheroes. Enough so that they passed it by one of folks behind LoS at that time to see if it would result in a lawsuit. The DC person said it was close, but that Imperial Guard’s costumes were cooler.

I will admit I’m also a fan of Hyperion and the Squadron Supreme….which is just one huge Justice League ripoff.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I was right, Ikaris is Marvel's Superman:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Liked it, didn't love it. Introducing ten(?) new superheroes in one film is probably at least four too many, no matter how good the actors are.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Same - liked but didn't love. I didn't have a problem with the number of Superheroes, but they just didn't do much. There also weren't enough laughs to make it fun like Ten Rings. Also, the love scene seemed unnecessary.
Spoiler:
I though Ikarus dragged the film down. I get that he was struggling with knowing the truth, but he was never anything but dour even in the old years. Just didn't enjoy whenever he was on the screen.

Also really glad I never watch trailers - that last one pretty much gave everything away.
I think our theater had the projector set up poorly. Everything was DARK. Stuff happening at night was almost invisible and there is an extended scene in a forest with Druig that seemed like it was happening at midnight. Was disappointing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles