R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by McNutt »

At no point in my life was Kirk Douglas not old.

RIP Mr Douglass. The last of the great acting generation.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Weird. I could have sworn I posted last night in this thread about Douglas. Calling him more than just an actor, but a hero for his work to break the blacklist in Hollywood during the shameful days of McCarthyism. But it's not here today. I must have closed out before hitting the submit button I guess. That or one of you moderators have it in for me and are going around deleting or changing my pos

....NEVER MIND, THE MODERATORS ON OO ARE TOP NOTCH, WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL IN PEAK PHYSICAL CONDITION AND ARE BURSTING WITH INTEGRITY. THEY WOULD NEVER ALTER OR DELETE ANY POSTS FROM THEIR ADORING FANS ON OO. PLEASE JOIN ME <hepcat> IN PRAISING OUR PROUD, OO LEADERS. ESPECIALLY THAT EVILHOMER3K WHO I"VE LEARNED CAN LIFT TWICE HIS OWN BODY WEIGHT AND ONCE WAS CONSIDERED A SERIOUS CHALLENGER TO GARRY KASPAROV'S TITLE.

ts. Anyway, RIP to a great actor and a great human being.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If it helps, hep, I remember reading that. Maybe it was in a different thread. The passing was mentioned in a couple of places on OO.

And, R.I.P.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Weird. I could have sworn I posted last night in this thread about Douglas. Calling him more than just an actor, but a hero for his work to break the blacklist in Hollywood during the shameful days of McCarthyism. But it's not here today. I must have closed out before hitting the submit button I guess. That or one of you moderators have it in for me and are going around deleting or changing my pos

....NEVER MIND, THE MODERATORS ON OO ARE TOP NOTCH, WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL IN PEAK PHYSICAL CONDITION AND ARE BURSTING WITH INTEGRITY. THEY WOULD NEVER ALTER OR DELETE ANY POSTS FROM THEIR ADORING FANS ON OO. PLEASE JOIN ME <hepcat> IN PRAISING OUR PROUD, OO LEADERS. ESPECIALLY THAT EVILHOMER3K WHO I"VE LEARNED CAN LIFT TWICE HIS OWN BODY WEIGHT AND ONCE WAS CONSIDERED A SERIOUS CHALLENGER TO GARRY KASPAROV'S TITLE.

ts. Anyway, RIP to a great actor and a great human being.
Now Hepcat, how many lights do you see...?

Along with Spartacus, one of my biggest memories of him was his performance in a movie called The Fury.

He was a good Van Gogh too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 pm Along with Spartacus, one of my biggest memories of him was his performance in a movie called The Fury.

Oh sheesh, I remember The Fury. I had a Fangoria Magazine with an article on it...and the infamous "bloody mid air spinning" scene. I didn't get up the nerve to watch it until I was in my late teens though. And by that time, it wasn't quite as shocking as I expected.

The Fury and The Manitou were B movie horror films starring classic Hollywood stars (Tony Curtis for The Manitou). There seemed to be quite a few of those in the late 70s.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked him and Tony in the 1958 classic The Vikings.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 am ts. Anyway, RIP to a great actor and a great human being.
If by "great human being", you mean notorious sexual harasser and alleged rapist of 16-yr-old Natalie Wood...
TheGuardian.com wrote:This was Douglas’s public face; behind the scenes, it had been apparent for some time he could never be regarded as some sort of film-industry saint. He was notorious for his aggressive personality as his career took off, and he has been dogged by Harvey Weinstein-style allegations of sexual harassment – with persistent but unverified suggestions of a serious sexual assault on a teenage Natalie Wood in the mid-1950s. Wood’s heartbreaking history has been well attested to, including by her immediate family, but Douglas’s connection to it – unlike, say, the allegations against Roman Polanski, or indeed Weinstein – has never been tested in court. Now Douglas is beyond the scope of defamation lawsuits, and amplified by social media, it has swiftly become part of his immediate legacy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that took longer than I expected.

I'm thinking of adding a disclaimer to any post concerning a celebrity in the future. Something like
The views and opinions expressed by the author of this post are formed based on incomplete knowledge of every aspect of the subject's life. They may also just be pertaining to one act or a group of actions irregardless of any other actions taken by the subject. Hitler loved puppies.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just a few months ago we watched The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, which just happened to be Douglas' first movie (1946). He was already 30 years old and instantly recognizable.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Was there any substance to the allegations about Kirk and Wood? From what I recall it was hearsay and mostly decades later. That doesn't dismiss any wrongdoing, but it's hard to say he did or didn't do anything now. At least that's what I remember.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 pm Was there any substance to the allegations about Kirk and Wood? From what I recall it was hearsay and mostly decades later. That doesn't dismiss any wrongdoing, but it's hard to say he did or didn't do anything now. At least that's what I remember.
Legally, I don't think so. But there's certainly been plenty of grist for the rumour mill and now that he's beyond the scope of defamation lawsuits, I doubt we've heard the last of it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All I knew about the man was his acting career and his years of trying to break the blacklist. If he committed any crimes, I wasn't aware of them.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good luck when they call you as a witness.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do they routinely put dead folks on trial? I mean, beyond the ones routinely found on social media?
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I believe there may have been a precedent with Oliver Cromwell, but for the most part we leave the dead as is.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:46 pm
$iljanus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 pm Along with Spartacus, one of my biggest memories of him was his performance in a movie called The Fury.

Oh sheesh, I remember The Fury. I had a Fangoria Magazine with an article on it...and the infamous "bloody mid air spinning" scene. I didn't get up the nerve to watch it until I was in my late teens though. And by that time, it wasn't quite as shocking as I expected.

The Fury and The Manitou were B movie horror films starring classic Hollywood stars (Tony Curtis for The Manitou). There seemed to be quite a few of those in the late 70s.
I remember The Manitou too. That was quite a strange movie!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It bothers me that Kirk Douglas doesn't warrant his own RIP thread. I'd have thought him more highly regarded.

In other ancient actor news, I watched a recent Robert Redford movie the other day. His face has more crevasses than the Grand Canyon. My daughter said, "daddy! He looks like you!"

I'd have gotten laid a lot more had that been the case 30 years ago. :?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Orson Bean
Veteran actor Orson Bean was struck and killed by a car Friday night in Venice, California, authorities said. He was 91.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office confirmed Bean's Friday night death, saying it was being investigated as a "traffic-related" fatality.

Los Angeles police say a pedestrian was walking in the area of Venice Boulevard and Shell Avenue when he was clipped by one vehicle and fell.

Other bystanders tried to warn a second driver, but he also struck the pedestrian. Police say the second collision was fatal. Both drivers stayed at the scene.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Damn, and it happened in front of his wife...who was the mom on The Wonder Years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are people simply blind? Why are you driving if you cant see or watch for stuff in the road? Or why so you drive so fast?

Read it. Wow blind. I can see maybe how it happened but still ugh.

and his wife is 23 years younger. Its a wonder he made it to 91 :) Also I know his face and I see he has been in stuff Ive watched but dang if I can place him.

RIP. Must be horrible for his wife. Just awful.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Baa, baa, baaaa...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I dare you to knock this battery off my shoulder.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 pm It bothers me that Kirk Douglas doesn't warrant his own RIP thread. I'd have thought him more highly regarded.

In other ancient actor news, I watched a recent Robert Redford movie the other day. His face has more crevasses than the Grand Canyon. My daughter said, "daddy! He looks like you!"

I'd have gotten laid a lot more had that been the case 30 years ago. :?
I met Redford once up at Sundance. Really nice guy, but I was shocked at both how tiny and how wrinkled he was.

He reminded me of a raisin.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awww I loved Conrad my entire life too. Grew up on Baa Baa Black Sheep then found Wild Wild West and the rest. Yes I remember his battery commercials too :) I also recall him in a tv miniseries in the early 80s called Centennial. I hated when he died with all those arrows in him. He always came across as a tough guy. Damn my Hollywood dream team is dying.

RIP
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I loved Baa Baa Black Sheep when I was younger.

Then I read a biography of Greg Boyington. Now I can't stomach the show. :angry-steamingears:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Ok, I’ll bite, what’s wrong with Pappy?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shout out RIP to Kevin Conway. Been in tons of shit and a pretty known face and voice. Ill remember him best as Kahless on Trek. 77

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198376/ke ... ies-at-77/

Enlarge Image
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Ok, I’ll bite, what’s wrong with Pappy?
I believe he was a drunk who wasn't a good father/husband. Can't remember the specifics though.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Christie Blatchford.
Her death on Wednesday at 68 is a terrible loss to her family (especially to niece Jennifer Robinson, who nursed her throughout) and to the wider family of Blatchford’s readers across Canada.

The one positive thing in all this is that Blatchford had a chance to find out how she is loved and respected; as soon as word got out last fall that she had cancer, the whole world came calling.

Blatchford had high-profile visitors in her hospital room, of course — judges, lawyers, fellow bull terrier fan Don Cherry, Mayor John Tory and innumerable other dignitaries.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 pm
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Ok, I’ll bite, what’s wrong with Pappy?
I believe he was a drunk who wasn't a good father/husband. Can't remember the specifics though.
I read that as 'Palpy' and thought, yep that about sums it up right, and then realized my mistake. Still fits though! :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neat how they form one big picture.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have these three books.

They have been read so many times by my parents, myself, and others (not sure if MHS ever read from these copies but probably) that all of them have been taped back together in multiple places rendering their collectible value in dollars to almost nil but their value in memories is priceless.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also have this set. I've got at least three or four different versions of the series. And yet I never noticed until Daehawk mentioned it that they go together.

This was my first set:
Spoiler:
And this is still my favorite set:
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm I also have this set. I've got at least three or four different versions of the series. And yet I never noticed until Daehawk mentioned it that they go together.

This was my first set:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My first reading was on the plain white Fellowship and the colorful Two Towers and Return of the King. (My Hobbit was in the same style as the bottom set.) I must have bought them one at a time or something. I currently have a nice hardcover boxed set of the trilogy that I will one day weep over when I try to give them to my kids and they spurn me as a geek.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm
This was my first set:
Spoiler:
this is the set my mom has - in the gold foil box! also the matching edition of the Hobbit, separately. my brother completely bent up the spines reading them in grade school. :/ i intended to read these, but could never clear the first fifty pages of Fellowship of the Ring... tried several times, until
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Spoiler:
this is the set i ended up finally getting around to reading, back in 2008/2009, borrowed from my roommate at the time. they were in pretty rough shape (one was missing the backcover and the last few pages)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here is an excellent page showing the progression of covers. I read my parents' copy circa 1967 so it must have been the Ballantine edition.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm I also have this set. I've got at least three or four different versions of the series. And yet I never noticed until Daehawk mentioned it that they go together.

This was my first set:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Is that first set The Brothers Hildebrandt?

Either way, the second set is Tolkien's own (!) drawings.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.