My Dog Tore His Dog ACL

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

My Dog Tore His Dog ACL

Post by Holman »

My dog Gus tore the canine equivalent of his ACL in his right hind leg. The vet says this is just something that happens. The ligament was hanging on by a few threads when they x-rayed it.

Gus is 20 months old, mostly a Black Mouth Cur hound. He loves his walks and he loves to run with friends at the dog park. If the wound were to go untreated, he would soon develop almost crippling arthritis. We couldn't see letting this happen to such a young and active boy, so we opted for surgery.

Surgery is done, and now we're looking at eight to ten weeks of "strict confinement." Gus will wear a cone for a couple of weeks while his six inches of stitches heal, but even then he'll still be on radically limited mobility until the term is up. The letter of the instructions are that he is barely supposed to move at all, although of course this is difficult to enforce. There are no walks except short excursions into the yard to use the bathroom. He can briefly hop around on three legs inside the house, but even this is to be strongly discouraged.

The ideal is that he spend nearly all his time crated, but that just wont work for Gus. He's a rescue who reacts with terror and panic in the crate, frantically trying to dig his way out. (We suspect he was locked in a closet or something as a puppy.) The next-best option is for him just to sit on a dog bed near whatever humans are in the house. This works pretty well, as (because we live with my retired in-laws) there is always someone at home.

However, Gus is very closely bonded to me, which means he wants to be with me most of all when I'm at home. This is sweet, but it also means that I have to carry him up and down three flights of stairs between my third-floor office and his dinner. Under no circumstances is he allowed to attempt stairs on his own. He weighs 62 pounds, though, and my back is already starting to hurt.

We're nearing the end of the first week of all of this now. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through something similar, and if they have any tips. Should I feel shitty, for instance, when I look up and realize that Gus has walked ten or twenty feet without assistance?

Oh, and here he is pre-surgery:

Enlarge Image

Gus is a good boy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Re: My Dog Tore His Dog ACL

Post by Daehawk »

He's a good boy and you're a good parent. Its not easy being a care giver be it for humans or animals. Its a special person who can do these things each day. Thanks for looking after him. Im sure he loves you even more for it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh. Sounds very different from what I went through.

My Rottweiler ended up getting ACL surgery on both her back legs, a couple years apart. But it sounds like maybe you got the ligament repaired? I don't remember the specific name for what my dog got, but they didn't repair the ligament. Instead they cut the end of the bone, shifted it, and then screwed it back in place to heal. This changes the angle of the joint such that they don't have to worry about the ACL any more. It's been a lot of years, but I'd swear she was walking around within a couple of days. There only issues were pain and infection; there weren't any concerns about using the leg affecting the healing.

The comment about arthritis seems different too. I was told that for small dogs, if you don't fix it, it won't have much effect. They just learn to cope. But that on a larger dog, she would likely stop using the leg.

The only real issue that I had was that she got a nasty infection after the first surgery (one of the screws, apparently). As a result, she never really trusted that leg. So she always walked a bit funny afterwards.

If you don't want to go with Isg's suggestion, you can buy a sling that allows you to support the back end while the dog walks. I used one with my dog(likely a GingerLead - https://www.gingerlead.com/). Though I generally only supported, you probably could use it to completely lift the hind end off the ground. Then let the dog handle the front end.

Edit: From this site, I'm pretty sure my dog had TPLO surgery. And from a link on that page:
TPLO Recovery Time
Dogs undergoing TPLO surgery generally begin toe touching within 5 days following surgery. At about 2 weeks, most dogs will begin to consistently bear weight on the post surgical leg.

Within 6 to 8 weeks following the procedure there should be signs of the bone healing at the site where the plates were placed (which can be viewed via X-ray). As with ALL surgical CCL repair surgeries, recovery varies from dog to dog, but it is always in your best interest to take things slow over a series of months to avoid re injury or injuring the other leg.
All of that to say that I don't think I can help much...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 pm Huh. Sounds very different from what I went through.

My Rottweiler ended up getting ACL surgery on both her back legs, a couple years apart. But it sounds like maybe you got the ligament repaired? I don't remember the specific name for what my dog got, but they didn't repair the ligament. Instead they cut the end of the bone, shifted it, and then screwed it back in place to heal. This changes the angle of the joint such that they don't have to worry about the ACL any more. It's been a lot of years, but I'd swear she was walking around within a couple of days. There only issues were pain and infection; there weren't any concerns about using the leg affecting the healing.

The comment about arthritis seems different too. I was told that for small dogs, if you don't fix it, it won't have much effect. They just learn to cope. But that on a larger dog, she would likely stop using the leg.

The only real issue that I had was that she got a nasty infection after the first surgery (one of the screws, apparently). As a result, she never really trusted that leg. So she always walked a bit funny afterwards.

If you don't want to go with Isg's suggestion, you can buy a sling that allows you to support the back end while the dog walks. I used one with my dog(likely a GingerLead - https://www.gingerlead.com/). Though I generally only supported, you probably could use it to completely lift the hind end off the ground. Then let the dog handle the front end.

Edit: From this site, I'm pretty sure my dog had TPLO surgery. And from a link on that page:
TPLO Recovery Time
Dogs undergoing TPLO surgery generally begin toe touching within 5 days following surgery. At about 2 weeks, most dogs will begin to consistently bear weight on the post surgical leg.

Within 6 to 8 weeks following the procedure there should be signs of the bone healing at the site where the plates were placed (which can be viewed via X-ray). As with ALL surgical CCL repair surgeries, recovery varies from dog to dog, but it is always in your best interest to take things slow over a series of months to avoid re injury or injuring the other leg.
All of that to say that I don't think I can help much...
Yes, ours was TPLO surgery too.

I think the weight of the dog is a big issue. According to my vet, dogs over 45 pounds require a longer recovery time, and Gus is above 60. (Fortunately he's long and lean rather than overweight, as carrying too much weight for the dog's frame is another complicating factor.) The longer time for restricted movement *should* allow him to regain regular function without a serious limp (which over the years would lead to further problems).

Gus is already toe-touching with the hurt leg, but the danger is that dogs can start doing that before it's good for them.

All in all, my hope is that the recovery estimates we've been given are pessimistic and based on older, heavier dogs. We'll see. I just don't want to let him move around too freely while that could hinder recovery. He's already walk/hopping between rooms (from one bed to another).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe your vet is just far more cautious.

Greta was both older and heavier than Gus.

I wouldn't stress overly. He's really young. My guess is that he'll adapt and adjust pretty quickly.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tore his ACL?

Enlarge Image

I mean sure, now that you've said it, that makes sense I just never heard of it happening. Good luck figuring out that lifting thing but don't blow out your back half-assing it. Your dog will be better long before your back will recover (if it ever fully does).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pretty sure Greta tore one of her's jumping off the bed. Or maybe it was jumping on the bed. Either way, it was a pretty simple activity that she'd done 1000 times before. But that time... BAM! Bye, bye, ACL. :cry:

Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 pm Tore his ACL?

Enlarge Image

I mean sure, now that you've said it, that makes sense I just never heard of it happening. Good luck figuring out that lifting thing but don't blow out your back half-assing it. Your dog will be better long before your back will recover (if it ever fully does).
Apparently it's pretty common, although it's not really the ACL. In dogs it's called the CCL (Cranial Cruciate Ligament).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to need a vet to explain that one to me because I don't understand why something in the leg is called the Skull Cross-shaped ligament. That sounds like it would have been a trick question on my A&P exam.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 pm I'm going to need a vet to explain that one to me because I don't understand why something in the leg is called the Skull Cross-shaped ligament. That sounds like it would have been a trick question on my A&P exam.
IIUK, dogs have two cruciate ligaments. One is headward (the cranial) and one is buttward (the caudal).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remember that time they discovered a new knee ligament in people? Good times...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My black lab tore an ACL, we chose no surgery, due to the cost. He fared pretty well afterwards. It is apparently common with black labs.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 pmIIUK, dogs have two cruciate ligaments. One is headward (the cranial) and one is buttward (the caudal).
Huh. In checking Wiki:
These terms (cranial; caudal) are generally preferred in veterinary medicine and not used as often in human medicine. In humans, "cranial" and "cephalic" are used to refer to the skull, with "cranial" being used more commonly.
Glad I wasn't losing it. Human A&P I gets. Dogs? Cats? Horses? That's outside my wheelhouse. :D