Swimming questions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Swimming questions

Post by stessier »

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I set the following goals: swim 150 miles, swim 150 times, swim 150 hours. At the time I thought the 150 miles would be the hard part, now I realize the 150 times might be the bigger challenge.

Anywho, I'm a completely self taught swimmer and have a few question.

1. What would be some good workouts/plans for increasing my abilities?

This is my third week and right now I am happy just doing freestyle. The first week I just concentrated on being able to do that stroke for an hour. The second week I concentrated on speeding up a bit. This third week I've concentrated on increasing my strokes between breaths. I'm still quite slow - this week I'm doing about 2200 yards in an hour. I'm using a 25 yard pool and don't know how to flip turn - I know that slows me down a bit. Also, I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but my current breathing pattern is 4 strokes, breathe, stroke, breath, repeat. How many strokes is ideal between breaths? Any plans for building up to that would be great. Is there anything I should be thinking about to improve the efficiency of my stroke or kick? Again, self taught, so no idea if I'm doing it right.

2. How much are goggles supposed to fog up?

My goggles are at least 5 years old and I think when I pulled them out of the drawer, I wiped off whatever anti-fog coating there was. I'm very happy with them otherwise - they don't leak and fit well. Would getting a new pair help with fogging? It takes about 5 minutes until it starts and by the end it is so bad that I can barely see the lane marker I'm swimming next to.

I'm kind of amazed at how fast an hour of swimming can go by. The first two weeks I was counting each length and that was kind of boring. This week, where I've been focusing on the stroke/breathing pattern, I've left the counting distance to my watch and kind of entered a trance state. It's pretty neat to just worry about the next 25 yards and trying to get the breathing just right. I've been surprised each time my watch has buzzed that my hour is up.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Re: Swimming questions

Post by stessier »

Wow, did I actually find something we don't have an expert on?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I failed to complete a triathlon because I am a terrible distance swimmer. I might be able to tell you what NOT to do. :P

On the plus side, failing on the swim saves you a LOT of time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I only dog paddle.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I went swimming once, but didn't like it because I got wet.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm As I've mentioned elsewhere, I set the following goals: swim 150 miles, swim 150 times, swim 150 hours. At the time I thought the 150 miles would be the hard part, now I realize the 150 times might be the bigger challenge.

Anywho, I'm a completely self taught swimmer and have a few question.

1. What would be some good workouts/plans for increasing my abilities?

This is my third week and right now I am happy just doing freestyle. The first week I just concentrated on being able to do that stroke for an hour. The second week I concentrated on speeding up a bit. This third week I've concentrated on increasing my strokes between breaths. I'm still quite slow - this week I'm doing about 2200 yards in an hour. I'm using a 25 yard pool and don't know how to flip turn - I know that slows me down a bit. Also, I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but my current breathing pattern is 4 strokes, breathe, stroke, breath, repeat. How many strokes is ideal between breaths? Any plans for building up to that would be great. Is there anything I should be thinking about to improve the efficiency of my stroke or kick? Again, self taught, so no idea if I'm doing it right.

I'm not an expert but my gym has a swim club and a team and it seems like that would be the best way to go if I were looking to up my swimming game.

Try starting at US Masters Swimming. That's the organization they're with. From what I understood they do open water too.
stessier wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm 2. How much are goggles supposed to fog up?

My goggles are at least 5 years old and I think when I pulled them out of the drawer, I wiped off whatever anti-fog coating there was. I'm very happy with them otherwise - they don't leak and fit well. Would getting a new pair help with fogging? It takes about 5 minutes until it starts and by the end it is so bad that I can barely see the lane marker I'm swimming next to.
Goggles aren't supposed to fog up. There are anti-fog sprays and treatments. It may or may not be cheaper and easier to just buy new goggles.

Edit: US Masters site also has a club finder and training guides/videos.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:33 pm Wow, did I actually find something we don't have an expert on?
My daughter took swimming lessons when she was like 5 (which I thought was a waste of time) but quickly saw the tremendous value in learning correct technique. You seemed focused on teaching yourself so I didn't think my advice of "take lessons" would be seen as helpful. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm certainly not an expert but when I was working on swimming for my first triathlon several people recommended the Total Immersion Swimming series. It worked pretty well for me. I improved my swimming significantly (though mostly after my first triathlon).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Spit is great for keeping the fog out. Just spit into the goggles and rub it around before putting them on.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The problem, as I see it, is too many zeroes. I can manage about 15 meters swimming for about 15 seconds 1.5 times per year. Modest goals will help you succeed!
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I once swam from Chicago to Atlanta once.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That reminds me, I need to find a copy of the old Burt Lancaster classic, The Swimmer

He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:39 pm I once swam from Chicago to Atlanta once.
Try that these days and you're sure to get eaten by an Asian carp somewhere along the way.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

dobberhd wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm Spit is great for keeping the fog out. Just spit into the goggles and rub it around before putting them on.
I just can't bring myself to do this. I've read it does work though.

Thinking of maybe trying baby shampoo. I'm also just kind of living with it at the moment. It's annoying, but so far I haven't hit anyone else, so I'm making due.
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:58 am I'm certainly not an expert but when I was working on swimming for my first triathlon several people recommended the Total Immersion Swimming series. It worked pretty well for me. I improved my swimming significantly (though mostly after my first triathlon).
Thanks I'll look into this.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 pm Try starting at US Masters Swimming. That's the organization they're with. From what I understood they do open water too.

The only one in my area does his classes from 8-10am on weekdays only. But I will check out their site for more training info.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 pm
dobberhd wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm Spit is great for keeping the fog out. Just spit into the goggles and rub it around before putting them on.
I just can't bring myself to do this. I've read it does work though.

Thinking of maybe trying baby shampoo. I'm also just kind of living with it at the moment. It's annoying, but so far I haven't hit anyone else, so I'm making due.
Not sure about swim goggles but I used to use shaving cream on ski goggles and car windows. Cover surface, let dry, rub off. For swim goggles, probably just a pea sized glob should do it for each lens.

Of course only do this if you are already having problems. Coated lenses don't need the treatment.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

OT: did you know that shaving cream (the foamy kind) can be used to get blood out of a carpet?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:41 pm OT: did you know that shaving cream (the foamy kind) can be used to get blood out of a carpet?
I once had to Google "how to get blood out of a mattress." Shaving cream was not the method I used. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Broke the 2:30/100 yard barrier today with a 2:27/100 yard reading. Took almost 2 weeks after breaking the 2:35 barrier. I really need to learn how to do flip turns.