Fuck You, Cancer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Fuck You, Cancer

Post by Holman »

I did a search and couldn't find a general cancer thread, although of course there have been some specific and personal ones. Maybe this can be a thread for the bad (and sometimes good!) cancer news all around.

I'm posting because I just learned that my Dad, a sincerely good and virtuous 80-year-old gentleman, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We're all aware that this is a bad one to have.

I've posted sometimes about my religious upbringing and my difference from my Evangelical parents. (I'm an atheist who still respects the value of faith, etc complication etc.)

The hardest part of getting this news from my dad was when he asked me to pray for him. He knew it was a strong request, and I knew it when I heard it, but I told him I would try my best. I also told him that I would ask believers I knew to pray for him as well. It was hard.

I don't know what any prayers I attempt can offer. I do know, though, that people who pray do so sincerely. In honor of my father's request, I humbly ask that those who pray might offer something for him.

I thank you for it, and I know he does too.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Re: Fuck You, Cancer

Post by Kraken »

I've got no prayers in me, but you have my sympathy.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Though I'm an atheist as well, I'm praying for your father, for you, and for your family.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Prayers from me. Sometimes I wonder if they help but I know they dont hurt.I was brought up from birth in the church. As a teen i rejected it all and had an argument for every church fact. Then I was agnostic but later my wife brought me around many years ago by not even trying. Then years later when my wife had heart surgery I know they helped. I got 4 more years. But for her stroke they didn't seem to. She'd say it was her time if she was here. They are hopes and requests from us to God. God does as God does. Perhaps he is simply waiting on these prayers. Best your father , you, and your family.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

May your father face it with the same fortitude as Alex Trebek. He's the role model for those afflicted with that awful disease. I'm truly sorry though that your family will have to go through this ordeal.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Just lost my Dad in November to a very rare, non curable form of Pancreatic Cancer. He was stage 4 when he got diagnosed but we did chemo anyhow as it bought him a good extra 6 months where he was able to travel a bit and make his rounds. Tough SOB rarely showed how much pain he was in and it luckily went very quick at the end. Good luck to you and your family, feel free to reach out if ya need to.

Michael J.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm sorry, that sucks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:pray:

May his prognosis be the best and may he exceed those expectations.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So sorry to hear this. Pancreatic cancer got my dad a couple years ago as well. :(

Fuck cancer.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks, all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My thoughts are with you and your family.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

FWIW - you have my prayers. My mom died from cancer last April.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Best for you and your family and the aforementioned prayers. Fuck cancer!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Fuck cancer:(
Holman

Post by Holman »

I teach at a Catholic university, and I told my department chair (who is also a priest) about the news.

I hope my Evangelical dad will be happy to learn that I've got Jesuits on the case.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm I teach at a Catholic university, and I told my department chair (who is also a priest) about the news.

I hope my Evangelical dad will be happy to learn that I've got Jesuits on the case.
That is unusual and amusing, an atheist teaching at a Catholic University.

As for your Dad, I'm an atheist as well, but sending him warm thoughts, best wishes, and for you and all the family as well. Rough on him, but this stuff is always very rough on everyone else around the patient.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:14 pm
That is unusual and amusing, an atheist teaching at a Catholic University.
Yeah, it's funny but actually pretty routine. Unlike Evangelical schools (where faculty are asked to sign very specific "statements of faith"), I've never even been asked if I believe in God. We're a Catholic school with a Muslim Students Association. I think there is actually a Student Atheists Club.

My contract does include a note that I'm expected not to directly attack core Catholic teaching, but it is immediately followed by a qualifier that academic inquiry is totally independent of church doctrine and that open-mindedness is a part of the Jesuit tradition. I feel pretty free to be me.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sending positive thoughts, and yes, Fuck cancer.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm also an atheist, and I'm a skeptic, so I can't pray, and thoughts aren't things that can be sent. But you do have my hopes and well-wishes.

And as someone who's lost a significant portion of their family to it, superfuck cancer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I opened this thread a few months ago when my 80-year-old dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

They caught the disease at stage 2 (which is lucky), and he was doing well for most of the year, but in the past four or five weeks he has taken a downturn. The disease suddenly moved very quickly, and now it looks like chemo is doing more harm than good.

My mother called me this afternoon to tell me that they had brought a hospital bed into the house and switched to hospice care. All indications are that my dad's body has stopped fighting the cancer, so further chemotherapy would only feel like an outside attack. Dad is articulate and lucid but very weak. He and mom want me and my older sister to visit as soon as possible.

My sis is a state-level supervisor of social workers in California, so her schedule is pretty hard to open up. I'm much more flexible, as I teach college English and my department chair is a Jesuit priest who understands my concerns. I'm hoping Sis can arrange to travel week after next as she hopes, but if she can't then I'll go down by myself.

I kind of thought maybe I had another three or five or ten years with my dad. 2020 is goddamn fucking 2020.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m so sorry to hear that. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Let us know if there’s anything we can do.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sorry. Prayers to you all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm so sorry.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Shit man, I’m so sorry. Pancreatic is the same thing that got my dad.

Fuck cancer.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm very sorry to hear. I hope the time you may have left with him is good and fulfilling, though it may never be enough.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sorry for your loss. Fuck Cancer.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sorry, Holman. About 2 years ago, a very close uncle (who I’m named after) of mine was diagnosed with it and gone all within a few months.

Terrible disease, and I hate that your expectations for the time he had left were so much higher than the reality. I went through that same reality check with my uncle (mostly based on the fact that the doctor’s prognosis was way off, and in the wrong direction).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 am Terrible disease, and I hate that your expectations for the time he had left were so much higher than the reality. I went through that same reality check with my uncle (mostly based on the fact that the doctor’s prognosis was way off, and in the wrong direction).
Same here. Just a couple of months ago the doctors were saying that the cancer was actually shrinking and that the chemo was going very successfully. There was actually an expectation that he would beat it.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I am very sorry to hear this. I lost my father to throat cancer 3 years ago at the age of 94. Like you, we were given hope by doctors that he would beat the disease but events did not turn out that way. He went through 8 weeks of radiation and chemo but succumbed about a year after being diagnosed. Again, sorry to hear this. Your family has my prayers.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ugh. Man. So sorry to read this.
My thoughts are with you.

As you are well aware, being able to Say Goodbye has just got to be so much better than not, even though that comes with its own kind of pain.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I dread every time I see this topic bumped...for good reason.

I'm so sorry. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I so feel for you. :cry:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Very sorry. Pancreatic cancer sucks doubly hard. Lost my grandmother and my wife’s uncle to it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That's awful. I'm so sorry for your family! I hope your sister can free up her schedule - being with both of my parents before and when they died was important for me.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I lost my uncle to pancreatic cancer a couple of decades ago, and it was terrifying how fast it ripped through him. A healthy 48 year old man to a concentration camp victim to dead in less than a year.

I'm so sorry, Holman. I hope you and your sister are able to be there.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So sorry to hear this, Holman. This really has been an awful year. Best wishes to you and your family.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sad to have to post that my dad died last night. He was just shy of his 81st birthday.

He had been in home hospice care for a month, and it was absolutely the best choice. The caregivers were excellent, and going this way at home was far, far better than doing so in a hospital among strangers. My mom says that his last days were very peaceful, mostly sleeping and occasionally making small talk. His hospital bed was next to their old bed, and my mom woke up a couple of hours after going to sleep to find that he had stopped breathing and passed very quietly. They were married for 57 years.

I was able to visit (along with my sister) for a week three weeks ago, and I'm so glad I do. At the time, Dad was still relatively lucid, and we were able to talk. I knew I was saying goodbye.

So that's my cancer news. I know I'm not the only one. This thread is dedicated to all of you and your loved ones who have fought it, suffered with it, or lost from it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sorry to read this news.
My thoughts are with you, your mom, and the rest of your family.

I can’t believe I lost my father 18 years ago.

That seems like a very long time. But right now it’s like it could have happened a month ago.