2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 pm Big Ten is on:
The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020.
for now...
Meh. Just like the abbreviated MLB season or hockey in August. I just can't get that excited.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm The fact that the Pac 12 has faced ZERO pressure to start playing football says everything about it as a conference. They are the red headed stepchild of the Power 5 who is too hardheaded to realize they need to air their football games in more East Coast friendly times. Half the country doesn't see a lot of the important Pac 12 games, because they are on too late. They really need to wake up and realize that while CFB is a regional sport - national relevance for their conference in football is critically important. There is a reason that ACC teams make much more money than Pac 12 teams do despite the fact it's easy (and pretty much not debatable) to say that the Pac 12 has more good teams than the ACC (even if none are as great as Clemson who is propping up the ACC single handedly).
The Pac-12 hasn't really had a playoff worthy team in a few years. Some close, so there is room for argument, but none dominant.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:44 pm
GungHo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 am Don't care, as in 'I have zero power to affect any of the decisions being made by these schools, therefore I'm not going to get upset with things one way or the other'.
I don't think they should be playing and so far I've avoided watching even so much as a highlight from CFB. I hope I can continue to do that; I have canceled all of my normal trips I'd take in a season, so at least that's something. Pro athletes are one thing, but these are kids and we should be doing better by them.

Plus since Texas isn't going to get the chance to get back LSU this year it's a bs season anyway, not to mention, how the F do we have a "national championship" game if you don't have ~25 of the best programs in the country competing?
It's all so dumb
Again, it's not he Pac-12 preventing the CA schools from practicing in larger groups, it's local/state Gov't. these aren't school/conference decisions. At least get it right before bitching about it ;)

And if you saw the Texas Tech/LSU info this week, it's probably the right decision.

It's not "dumb" to not play the games, it's safety requirements. Playing the games is actually the dumb move based on what we are seeing and the minimal progress we've made.
Did you and I read two different posts from GungHo? I read his post that it's better to not play this year than to play, and they way they're going about playing is half-assed and dumb.
Greedy. I was more focused on the "Don't Care" comment blaming the Pac-12 CA schools, when it's not the schools making the decisions.
Yeah, but the "Don't care" was immediately followed by an explanation that had nothing to do with blaming the Pac 12 or CA schools. That was then followed by him saying he doesn't think they should be playing, which would seem to support the Pac 12.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The plot thickens.

Gavin Newsom said he spoke to Larry Scott 2 hours ago, claims nothing in state rules preventing teams from playing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:04 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:44 pm
GungHo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 am Don't care, as in 'I have zero power to affect any of the decisions being made by these schools, therefore I'm not going to get upset with things one way or the other'.
I don't think they should be playing and so far I've avoided watching even so much as a highlight from CFB. I hope I can continue to do that; I have canceled all of my normal trips I'd take in a season, so at least that's something. Pro athletes are one thing, but these are kids and we should be doing better by them.

Plus since Texas isn't going to get the chance to get back LSU this year it's a bs season anyway, not to mention, how the F do we have a "national championship" game if you don't have ~25 of the best programs in the country competing?
It's all so dumb
Again, it's not he Pac-12 preventing the CA schools from practicing in larger groups, it's local/state Gov't. these aren't school/conference decisions. At least get it right before bitching about it ;)

And if you saw the Texas Tech/LSU info this week, it's probably the right decision.

It's not "dumb" to not play the games, it's safety requirements. Playing the games is actually the dumb move based on what we are seeing and the minimal progress we've made.
Did you and I read two different posts from GungHo? I read his post that it's better to not play this year than to play, and they way they're going about playing is half-assed and dumb.
Greedy. I was more focused on the "Don't Care" comment blaming the Pac-12 CA schools, when it's not the schools making the decisions.
Yeah, but the "Don't care" was immediately followed by an explanation that had nothing to do with blaming the Pac 12 or CA schools. That was then followed by him saying he doesn't think they should be playing, which would seem to support the Pac 12.
Don't care ... decisions made by schools.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I see where you're coming from now. I still don't think he was attacking the Pac-12 in any way with the comment. Plus, it sounds like the governor of CA is saying there's nothing preventing them from playing, so it's probably moot at this point.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pac-12 back in the mix? Jon Wilner reports it may be so...
Sources: After speaking to #Pac12 commish Larry Scott, Newsom’s office reached out to #USC officials. Plan is to fast track revision to controversial 12-person cohort max. That shifts focus to local health, an easier hurdle for the schools. This is big.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh, and here's the full rundown of the obstacles for probably the most important 4 teams in the Pac-12, prior to this announcement:
Technically, he said, the state allows games to be played at the intercollegiate level: Full-squad, full-contact 22-man games.

The problem — and it’s a super-colossal problem — is with practice.

According to Section 5 of the guidelines:

“IHEs (institutions of higher education) should establish cohorts as a strategy to minimize the potential spread of COVID-19. A cohort may be composed of six to 12 individuals, all members of the same team, who consistently work out and participate in activities together.”

You may ask: How can a football team practice without at least 22 players on the field?

Well, I asked that very question of the official, who did not want to be quoted but was willing to explain the state’s rules.

The answer was this:

Teams can find work-arounds to 11-on-11 practices.
and then:
Then he reiterated that the guidelines were set to prevent Covid-19 spread while, at the same time, creating a means of permitting practice.

And, of course, games are allowed.

So that’s it. That’s the explanation.

The California teams can practice, but they have to do it five-on-five.

Or against air.

Or with VR.

Just not 11 on 11.

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm I see where you're coming from now. I still don't think he was attacking the Pac-12 in any way with the comment. Plus, it sounds like the governor of CA is saying there's nothing preventing them from playing, so it's probably moot at this point.
I wasn't attacking them, and yes I agree that no college athletes should be playing. But I haven't really paid attention as to who's actual 'fault' it is that PAC 12 teams aren't playing. Whether that's a state decision, local govt, or the conference. I've actively avoided reading/listening to anything CFB related bc I don't want to hate myself for watching. Ignorance truly is bliss.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 pm
Meh. Just like the abbreviated MLB season or hockey in August. I just can't get that excited.
Yeah man. So much this. After the Longhorns, the Stars are my 2nd favorite team and the Cup playoffs are the absolute best ice cream headache infused roller coaster ride in all of sports. And the Stars have 5(!!!) OT wins and they're back in the Finals for the first time in 20 years. And yet...meh.

Makes me sad
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

UNC-Charlotte just canceled their game this weekend against UNC because they have three O-linemen test positive for Covid. Presumably that means the rest of their O-line is in quarantine. I guess this is perhaps an example of the system working, but still sucks to have a game canceled.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm still not convinced the Big Ten will actually play. I think if it turns out to be a fiasco watching the other leagues go at it, they'll probably end up flipping the switch to off. By delaying the start of the season they at least get to observe to see how things are working (or not working).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GungHo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm I see where you're coming from now. I still don't think he was attacking the Pac-12 in any way with the comment. Plus, it sounds like the governor of CA is saying there's nothing preventing them from playing, so it's probably moot at this point.
I wasn't attacking them, and yes I agree that no college athletes should be playing. But I haven't really paid attention as to who's actual 'fault' it is that PAC 12 teams aren't playing. Whether that's a state decision, local govt, or the conference. I've actively avoided reading/listening to anything CFB related bc I don't want to hate myself for watching. Ignorance truly is bliss.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 pm
Yeah man. So much this. After the Longhorns, the Stars are my 2nd favorite team and the Cup playoffs are the absolute best ice cream headache infused roller coaster ride in all of sports. And the Stars have 5(!!!) OT wins and they're back in the Finals for the first time in 20 years. And yet...meh.

Makes me sad
Yeah, I've watched pieces of a few games, and I inevitably find my eyes drawn to the idiots. Coaches yanking down their masks to yell ()or just leaving them off), staff/support folks not wearing masks properly, refs with their masks down/off, shared water bottles, and, of course, the idiotic fans - 95% of which just seem like fuck-ups.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And the consequences in those games - Per Pat Forde (original tweet deleted):
14th canceled/postponed game, I believe. CUSA schools continuing to struggle to play

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The smaller schools just don't have the resources to do the consistent monitoring/testing happening at larger schools. If there's ever a time the NCAA could've stepped up....
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:The smaller schools just don't have the resources to do the consistent monitoring/testing happening at larger schools. If there's ever a time the NCAA could've stepped up....
As we've seen, the NCAA has zero influence on football.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But you would think they might be able to do something to improve testing of athletes at smaller institutions.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:13 pm But you would think they might be able to do something to improve testing of athletes at smaller institutions.
A little bit similar to our country's response; the ncaa is the federal government, the schools are the individual states...And it's every man for himself.
Another aspect of this whole thing that's just gross
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:13 pm But you would think they might be able to do something to improve testing of athletes at smaller institutions.
FCS alone has 127 schools. At about $400k/school that's a bit over $50 million. FBS has 130, but about 64 are P5 schools, so another $25 million. And all the Spring Championships, including the Tourney, the biggest NCAA income generator for the year, were cancelled.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Notre Dame cancels practice today due to 4 positive tests and 6 others in contact tracing quarantine.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IMHO, CFB in Aug/Sept thus far gets an 'F' for Covid-19 handling. LSU and Texas Tech going the herd immunity/infect the whole dang team approach. At least 15-20 games cancelled/postponed already, Coaches/Staff/Refs/Fans all displaying horrible Mask/Social Distancing discipline, etc.

The only reason games are being played is because nobody gives a crap, apparently.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Certainly not about the players' long-term health.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:15 pm Certainly not about the players' long-term health.
I can see the commercial now: Did you play college football during the Covid19 crisis and develop illness or physical symptoms? Call Dewy, Suem, and Howe right now - you may be entitled to significant compensation...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:18 pm Notre Dame cancels practice today due to 4 positive tests and 6 others in contact tracing quarantine.
Update! Saturday's Notre Dame-Wake Forest game is postponed due to what is now 7 positive tests, 13 players in isolation, and 10 in quarantine).

On the plus side, I'm actually a bit less concerned about the Big Ten's return to play after reading this story:
The most important elements of the presentation involved rapid testing, which had seen advances in technology and accessibility since the Big Ten's initial postponement.

"You're catching somebody with a positive before they're even contagious," said Dr. Jeff Mjaanes, Northwestern's head team physician and a member of the Big Ten's medical subcommittee. "That's a huge breakthrough in this. If we can do that on a daily basis, which is what's in our proposal, then we can identify people before they're even infectious, and we can remove them and really maintain the sanctity and the health of the team.

"With daily antigen testing, if you're able to identify somebody before they're actually contagious, and we can remove them, it almost completely eliminates the need for contact tracing."
If this is accurate, it means that it's no more dangerous for them to play football than it would be for them to be on campus. Of course, there's always the question of whether they should actually be on campus, but if the rest of the school is there, it's hard to say the football players shouldn't be there.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Notre Dame apparently has 13 players in isolation currently. It will be interesting to see if the Big 10 was wise to wait to play or if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 were smart to start earlier.... if any are proven to be smart at all for playing.

I can just say I am relieved to get to this weekend when 3 big 5 conferences are playing. It's just been dreadful watching only shitty ACC football - and I am an ACC fan who grew up in ACC country.

Not for the last time - fuck this virus!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 pm Notre Dame apparently has 13 players in isolation currently.
Man, I know you don't have me on ignore since you can't ignore an admin. :P
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Virginia Tech's still struggling - Justin Fuente said the Hokies will likely be unable to field a full roster when they finally open their season Saturday night.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:18 pm Notre Dame cancels practice today due to 4 positive tests and 6 others in contact tracing quarantine.
Update! Saturday's Notre Dame-Wake Forest game is postponed due to what is now 7 positive tests, 13 players in isolation, and 10 in quarantine).

On the plus side, I'm actually a bit less concerned about the Big Ten's return to play after reading this story:
The most important elements of the presentation involved rapid testing, which had seen advances in technology and accessibility since the Big Ten's initial postponement.

"You're catching somebody with a positive before they're even contagious," said Dr. Jeff Mjaanes, Northwestern's head team physician and a member of the Big Ten's medical subcommittee. "That's a huge breakthrough in this. If we can do that on a daily basis, which is what's in our proposal, then we can identify people before they're even infectious, and we can remove them and really maintain the sanctity and the health of the team.

"With daily antigen testing, if you're able to identify somebody before they're actually contagious, and we can remove them, it almost completely eliminates the need for contact tracing."
If this is accurate, it means that it's no more dangerous for them to play football than it would be for them to be on campus. Of course, there's always the question of whether they should actually be on campus, but if the rest of the school is there, it's hard to say the football players shouldn't be there.
I really need to see more about what rapid antigen test they are using. My Google searches suggest PCR remains the gold standard and antigen tests have high 80 to mid 90% sensitivity when compared to that (although their specificity it pretty much 100%) and that they can't catch you before you are contagious. The guidance actually says you should factor in the symptoms that are being presented at the time you analyze the rapid test's results.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 pm
JCC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 pm Notre Dame apparently has 13 players in isolation currently.
Man, I know you don't have me on ignore since you can't ignore an admin. :P
LOL Sorry. Too much skimming!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Technically you could manually ignore an admin.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:04 pm Technically you could manually ignore an admin.
Yeah, my kids are real good at that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:04 pm Technically you could manually ignore an admin.
I picture you running around the house yelling, "You can't ignore an admin !!! You can't ignore an ADMIN!!""
:D
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I am root!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

I really feel for the #Houston football players. Saturday's Houston-North Texas game just got canceled. It's the FIFTH game UH has had cancelled on them and they haven't been able to play once.
In other news, P12 is meeting as we speak, with a go/no-go vote scheduled for 5:00 today.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

7 game P12 schedule, starting Nov 6

Nov and Dec games in Salt Lake are gonna be cold. Glad I’ll be watching from home.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm Who could have possibly seen this coming?

I really feel for the #Houston football players. Saturday's Houston-North Texas game just got canceled. It's the FIFTH game UH has had cancelled on them and they haven't been able to play once.
In other news, P12 is meeting as we speak, with a go/no-go vote scheduled for 5:00 today.
This list doesn't quite have all the Houston Cancellations but, it's a starting point.
The college football season has seen a handful of postponements and cancellations every week so far heading into Week 4. that will continue to be a logistical challenge for conferences as the season presses on into October.

To date, Oklahoma State-Tulsa is the only game that was rescheduled and played. Oklahoma State beat Tulsa 16-7 in a game that was originally scheduled for Sept. 12.

Here is a list of games that have been postponed, rescheduled or canceled since the 2020 college football season because of COVID-19 (rescheduled game dates in parentheses).

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm
Enlarge Image
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

;)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good lord, this TX/TTU game is absurd.

Can anyone in the Big XII play a lick of defense?