2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

But some college hijinks last forever!
The mystery started with a stolen safe combination and an inside job. It led to a car theft, the creation of a fake Stanford Axe and a midnight rendezvous with a newspaper photographer. Student pilots took to the skies. Mice were let loose in a Stanford women's dorm. The Oakland Tribune credited a "commando team known as 'The Fearsome Five'" for carrying out the mission.

Much has been written about various heists of the Stanford Axe since it was first stolen in 1899, but the details of the axe's disappearance from a locked safe in Berkeley 59 years ago -- and its circuitous route back to campus -- have previously been shared through only word of mouth. For most of the past six decades, that's how those most closely involved preferred it. And if not for a telling at a neighborhood party a couple of years ago that found its way to YouTube, that's likely how it would have stayed.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:09 pm Coach Saban has tested positive for Covid-19
This time for real?

Breaking: Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19, Alabama has announced. He has mild symptoms and will isolate.

Alabama is set to play Auburn in the Iron Bowl on Saturday.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So he has tested positive for a second time?

You think Dabo Sweeney would admit to testing positive?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 pm So he has tested positive for a second time?

You think Dabo Sweeney would admit to testing positive?
Most thoughts are that his initial test was a false positive, per the thread, as he tested negative the rest of the week and Coached the game.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

That's right. I forgot that he came back that fast.

And I don't wish any ill will towards Saban. Sweeney maybe.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mildly symptomatic this time too. I hope he does well.
Alabama coach Nick Saban learned Wednesday morning that he tested positive for COVID-19. He is experiencing mild symptoms -- "maybe a runny nose" -- and will not be on the field to coach the No. 1 Crimson Tide on Saturday when they face No. 22 Auburn in the Iron Bowl (3:30 p.m. ET on CBS).

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm See that's the thing. A dear friend of mine is a big time OSU fan and would probably not speak to me for a month if he knew I was rooting for Michigan :) But I've always liked the schools in the Big Ten and I like Imlawboy as well, so I thought I'd sneak a couple of games in :).
I appreciate your support, but you sure picked a lousy year to follow Michigan! :P
True dat. I have been watching all the games but turned off Wisconsin just after half time and nearly turned off Rutgers, RUTGERS!, because we were so out played. It seemed like every run ended with the Michigan runners moving backward from a hit and the Rutgers runners moving forward dragging a defender. Thats just desire and drive.
Because politics make for the best NCAA insults!

Biden’s won in Michigan so many times he’s legally required to change his name to Ohio State.
:lol: :cry:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks Ducks for ruining any chance Pac 12 had at the playoffs :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Turned it off when Oregon was up 31-19, figuring it was over. Was absolutely shocked to see OSU won. What a weird game, that fog in the first half was crazy.

And P12 wasn’t going to sniff the playoff this year anyways. That game wasn’t some sort of dealbreaker.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Vanderbilt’s Sarah Fuller becomes the first woman to play in a P5 football game. That’s pretty awesome.

I would invite anyone who thinks that isn’t a big deal to come talk to my 11-year-old daughter about it. It is a very big deal to her.

Also, Harbaugh’s seat must be scorching right now.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 pm Thanks Ducks for ruining any chance Pac 12 had at the playoffs :roll:
Truth is they didn't deserve a chance. I have no idea how Oregon was rated so highly anyway after watching them play several times.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Washington is now 1-30 in games they trail by 21 or more points. We’re the 1...ouch. 9 turnovers in two games isn’t gonna win you many.

Still, it’s good to see the young guys get some game reps. There might be some potential next year, but we’re gonna need a QB. This transfer kid from SC is...not good.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Turned it off when Oregon was up 31-19, figuring it was over. Was absolutely shocked to see OSU won. What a weird game, that fog in the first half was crazy.

And P12 wasn’t going to sniff the playoff this year anyways. That game wasn’t some sort of dealbreaker.
The highlighter unis helped. :)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's been good seeing the Bruins start playing well. It would be interesting to see where we would be without the avalanche of turnovers in our losses, but we are starting to look like what we should have looked like last year. We still need to blitz way too much on defense, but it's fun to watch.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Michael Penix (IU QB) blew out his knee Saturday - torn ACL. That sucks.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:14 pm Michael Penix (IU QB) blew out his knee Saturday - torn ACL. That sucks.
I was wondering why Tuttle (former Utah QB) was playing.

Bummer, Penix was fun to watch.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:15 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:14 pm Michael Penix (IU QB) blew out his knee Saturday - torn ACL. That sucks.
I was wondering why Tuttle (former Utah QB) was playing.

Bummer, Penix was fun to watch.
I had a tough time watching that game - the IU camo uniforms were awful (and of course, the Maryland helmets...). Who needs camo for hunting turtles? I kept switching back over to PSU-Michigan - they may be train wrecks, but at least they looked great doing it!

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:30 pmI kept switching back over to PSU-Michigan - they may be train wrecks, but at least they looked great doing it!
In this season where the best I can do is laugh, that made me laugh.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I predict that Michigan will not lose to Ohio State this year. Mostly because I believe the game and season will get cut off due to covid. If they meet on the field it will make last year's game look close. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Side note, I just found out JT Daniels is lighting it up for Georgia the past two games he's played and started. One has to wonder why he wasn't starting at the beginning of the year. They could still be in the CFP hunt.

An interesting article on messing up QB decisions:
It’s the most important thing in football, making the right moves at quarterback. And yet coaches keep getting it wrong. Why? It has happened in a few high-profile situations of late and we may be witnessing a correction in a few current instances this season. But some coaches aren’t fortunate enough to know what they lost until it’s gone.
I do love how Chase Griffin is playing, but I still want to see DTR come back.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Maryland at Michigan canceled. Unless Michigan gets a home game (and wins) as part of whatever "Championship Weekend" occurs, Michigan will go winless at home for the first time in Michigan Stadium history.

Michigan won't practice again until Monday at the earliest. If Michigan can't get healthy enough for the following Saturday, they won't be able to play Ohio State, and OSU won't have enough games to qualify* for the Big Ten championship game. Wouldn't that be a shame?

*Under current rules. I wouldn't be surprised if those rules got modified if this actually happened.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:51 pm Side note, I just found out JT Daniels is lighting it up for Georgia the past two games he's played and started. One has to wonder why he wasn't starting at the beginning of the year. They could still be in the CFP hunt.

An interesting article on messing up QB decisions:
It’s the most important thing in football, making the right moves at quarterback. And yet coaches keep getting it wrong. Why? It has happened in a few high-profile situations of late and we may be witnessing a correction in a few current instances this season. But some coaches aren’t fortunate enough to know what they lost until it’s gone.
I do love how Chase Griffin is playing, but I still want to see DTR come back.
I think Daniels was hurt and so was unavailable. The kid who started the first game for Georgia is already looking at transferring now.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:53 pm Maryland at Michigan canceled. Unless Michigan gets a home game (and wins) as part of whatever "Championship Weekend" occurs, Michigan will go winless at home for the first time in Michigan Stadium history.

Michigan won't practice again until Monday at the earliest. If Michigan can't get healthy enough for the following Saturday, they won't be able to play Ohio State, and OSU won't have enough games to qualify* for the Big Ten championship game. Wouldn't that be a shame?

*Under current rules. I wouldn't be surprised if those rules got modified if this actually happened.
So there was actually talk on ESPN yesterday (probably originally on TV but I heard it on radio while driving home from work) where Kirk Herbstreet thought it was possible that Michigan would cancel the Ohio State game just to screw over Ohio State's chances of getting enough games to qualify for the Big10 Championship game.

Gee, I wonder what school Herbstreet went to. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A friend commented that the NCAA should just make the ACC and SEC championship games the CFP semifinals this year. I am inclined to agree with him.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm So there was actually talk on ESPN yesterday (probably originally on TV but I heard it on radio while driving home from work) where Kirk Herbstreet thought it was possible that Michigan would cancel the Ohio State game just to screw over Ohio State's chances of getting enough games to qualify for the Big10 Championship game.

He apologized for that rant. I heard that driving in to work. He was about to have an interview on local radio. (I live in Wolverine country) but... work...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:53 pm Maryland at Michigan canceled. Unless Michigan gets a home game (and wins) as part of whatever "Championship Weekend" occurs, Michigan will go winless at home for the first time in Michigan Stadium history.

So there was actually talk on ESPN yesterday (probably originally on TV but I heard it on radio while driving home from work) where Kirk Herbstreet thought it was possible that Michigan would cancel the Ohio State game just to screw over Ohio State's chances of getting enough games to qualify for the Big10 Championship game.

Herbie has since apologized. It was completely inappropriate for someone in his position to throw that out there, even if it had been joked about for a while. Given his platform and his playing history, he shouldn't be putting teams in a position where it looks like they have to weigh program integrity concerns vs. athlete health concerns. As I said, though, and to his credit, he has apologized.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Congrats to BYU on probably being the 2nd best team in the Sun Belt Conference this year! :lol:

Yeah, yeah...I know that cheering when your rivals lose is petty, but since there's nothing interesting going on this "season" for my own team, I'll go ahead and do it anyways. The "BYU belongs in the CFP" and "Zack Wilson for Heisman" screeching (when playing a glorified high school schedule) had become deafening in the local media over the past couple weeks. Nice to have that all put to rest.

College football tweet of the day goes to this guy.

This ain’t the first time a bunch of Cougars went to Myrtle Beach looking for a good time and got more than they bargained for.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Remember when Alabama was boring to watch on offense?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:20 pm Congrats to BYU on probably being the 2nd best team in the Sun Belt Conference this year! :lol:

Yeah, yeah...I know that cheering when your rivals lose is petty, but since there's nothing interesting going on this "season" for my own team, I'll go ahead and do it anyways. The "BYU belongs in the CFP" and "Zack Wilson for Heisman" screeching (when playing a glorified high school schedule) had become deafening in the local media over the past couple weeks. Nice to have that all put to rest.

This ain’t the first time a bunch of Cougars went to Myrtle Beach looking for a good time and got more than they bargained for.
Were any of BYU's wins against a team worth bragging about? Same with Coastal Carolina as far as that goes. I was glad to see BYU lose so the talk could stop.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Congrats to BYU on probably being the 2nd best team in the Sun Belt Conference this year! Image

Heard on Pac-12 After Dark last night :

BYU is winless this year when the Utes win!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:32 pm BYU is winless this year when the Utes win!
:lol:

We tried our darndest to blow a 20 point 2nd half lead again (this time to OSUs backups), but managed to hang on for the W.

I’m glad this season is meaningless, otherwise I’d be very frustrated with this team.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan doesn't lose to Ohio State this year! Huzzah!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:46 pm Michigan doesn't lose to Ohio State this year! Huzzah!
Their only chance to not lose and they took it. Suck it, buckeyes.

And I'm glad I won't feel compelled to spend 3 hours watching.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:36 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:32 pm BYU is winless this year when the Utes win!
:lol:

We tried our darndest to blow a 20 point 2nd half lead again (this time to OSUs backups), but managed to hang on for the W.

I’m glad this season is meaningless, otherwise I’d be very frustrated with this team.
If we beat 'SC, it definitely won't be meaningless ;)

I also think that for us, it has been very meaningful seeing the team develop. The defense is still a bit of smoke and mirrors, depending on exotic blitzes because Chip didn't take advantage of his initial hire buzz and get any top talent at DL. It's been effective creativity, but it would be better if the base packages could do it. The 'SC game will be very interesting to see if we can get enough pressure to disrupt the SC passing attack - we'll be able to score, but will it look like an SEC game? ;)
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:46 pm Michigan doesn't lose to Ohio State this year! Huzzah!
Time to see if the Big Ten will bend the rules and let Ohio State in the championship game after having only played 5 games.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So has Herbstreet said anything yet? :roll:
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks like the Big 10 is working to change the rule to let Ohio State into the Big 10 title game. Honestly, it's a no brainer for the conference. Lots of $$ if Ohio State wins that game and makes the playoff.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

JCC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:33 pm Looks like the Big 10 is working to change the rule to let Ohio State into the Big 10 title game. Honestly, it's a no brainer for the conference. Lots of $$ if Ohio State wins that game and makes the playoff.
Also seems to make sense as even a loss to Michigan would have seen them in the Championship game since they control the tie breaker. Shrug. I'm no fan of bending rules for money but I do think things during this season need to be flexible rather than carved in stone. Just to be clear too, I'm a Michigan fan so......
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

As much as I'd love to see OSU get screwed over and as fun of a story as Indiana is, I can't get upset about the Big Ten deciding to change the rules here. OSU is clearly the best team in the Big Ten East (which is truly awful outside of OSU and IU). OSU probably needs the Big Ten championship to get consideration for the playoff given that they've only played one decent team this year so far (IU).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just another asterisk in this ill-advised farce of a season.This is fine, yay football!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT