Any physical therapists/sports medicine people in the house?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Any physical therapists/sports medicine people in the house?

Post by Default »

[trow][/trow]My son started in the Postal Service and has a couple of pulled muscles in his left leg. He can't take time off in his probationary period and he is covering 13 miles a day. KT tape looks like a help, but I'm unclear after watching a few videos if the tape goes over the affected muscle, or on either side of the pull.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I only found out about this tape last night, and I want to get him taped up for work tomorrow.
Last edited by Default on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Any physical therapist in the house?

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I sent your question to my wife, who has been a PT for 20+ years. Here is her response.
KT won't help. It is for increasing proprioception and cueing for positioning. People often use it incorrectly.
Stretching, foam rolling, and proper shoe wear, possibly orthotics, may be indicated. Or the Ms are just sore from a significant increase in mileage and need to build endurance.
I don't know what the first sentence means other than she doesn't feel the tape will help much. I assume Ms are muscles. She often uses abbreviations that only PTs seem to know.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

She clarfied what she wrote with the tape.
There is a lot out there about kinesiotape, but it only provides slight compression and myofascial lift. I use it for people to increase awareness of Ms activation or posture, or it works to keep the It band aligned or the patella aligned.
She didn't say it would hurt anything, though, so if you feel it helps, go ahead and use it. Compression helps with swelling so it could help with swelling (as could compression clothing).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pizza delivery drivers cant find your house when she gives them directions can they? :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"

Post by Default »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am I sent your question to my wife, who has been a PT for 20+ years. Here is her response.
KT won't help. It is for increasing proprioception and cueing for positioning. People often use it incorrectly.
Stretching, foam rolling, and proper shoe wear, possibly orthotics, may be indicated. Or the Ms are just sore from a significant increase in mileage and need to build endurance.
I don't know what the first sentence means other than she doesn't feel the tape will help much. I assume Ms are muscles. She often uses abbreviations that only PTs seem to know.
Ok, so I will have to rely on my mob-doctor skills. Rest is out of the question as in the OP. I hoped that someone had experience with sports medicine, as we are athletes.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken