The Batman - Robert Pattinson

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: The Batman - Robert Pattinson

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I was pretty underwhelmed by the choice of Pattison and this hasn't change my mind at all. Mabye explore some other DC characters rather than yet another take on batman.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:01 pm Mabye explore some other DC characters rather than yet another take on batman.
That's where I'm at. Especially when you do a branching diagram of the DC Universe with Batman and the Joker Movie and Suicide Squad featuring Harley and the Gotham TV series. I was stoked for the Nolan reboot and since then it's "oh look a different Batman or spinoff, Oh look a different Superman." The MCU has done how much stuff in that time? And tied it together. The DC Universe has had how may different Batmen, Jokers, and Supermen?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:27 pm Ah yeah, grounded is definitely different from dark, I get what you're saying. There's really no room in a Pattinson Batman for some of Gotham's more colorful characters.
Or in Nolan's, and they never really did anything with Batfleck that was about Batman (he was always playing a role in someone else's movie.) In other words, we haven't had an actual Batman movie that wasn't grounded since The Nipples. And we haven't had a good comics-based Batman film in 29 years. So, yeah, I find it a little disappointing. Not that it may not be a great film, and I'll still be in line to see it, and may still love it. And comics Batman himself was fairly grounded for the first few years, so there's that. I'd just love to see a good film that captures the whole of the character. And part of that is that he's a grounded character holding his own in a universe that is just the opposite.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:01 pm Mabye explore some other DC characters rather than yet another take on batman.
Take everything this film has. Then swap Batman for The Question. Now I'm excited!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Question and/or The Creeper would be my two picks for a new DC film.

Then a Legion of Superheroes film. Perhaps a Spectre horror entry (seriously, the Spectre short film they attached to the Superman vs. Black Adam animated release was beyond outstanding).

Dr. Fate is already being introduced in the Black Adam film, so they at least covered that.

Of course, they don't have Paste Pot Pete, so that's hurting them.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:46 pm I don't hate it, but I really wish we could stay away from 'grounded' comic book films. There is a happy medium between Nolan and Schumacher. The MCU found that. I wish DC would.
Yeah, that's what I've been driving at earlier. There should be more of a happy medium. I don't feel particularly interested in this latest version of Batman. And I don't particularly care for how Bruce Wayne looks in this. It took me a moment to even realize it was even supposed to be him. I thought they were showing some side-character. But if he's Bruce Wayne, he looks like he just stepped out of stoner concert. That alone shows what kind of audience they're targeting it for.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hear theres young people out there like we were once.

I mean we went to Batman in 1989 and I was damn sure Keaton couldn't be a good Batman...doh. I do admit his little chipmunk cheeks crammed into that cowl did make me wonder.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pattinson will be fine. Even though Christian Bale was younger than him when he played Batman, Pattinson has a baby face that makes him look younger and was peak popularity when he was playing for teenage audiences. Then if you compare him to the most recent portrayal you're putting him up against Affleck, who was one of the oldest actors to play him. It's no wonder he "reads" younger. He really is a terrific actor, and I think he'll surprise people in this film.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I get the point, but I don't really think that's the same thing at all.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I'm just waiting for the new Batman animated series (Caped Crusader) from the folks that made Batman: The Animated Series. That series is the right level and tone for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. It looks great so far. But Bruce Timm is the guy that should be running it all, not just the animated division.

As for Pattinson, I'm with YK. He'll be fine. He's paid his dues in a ton of small indie films where he's honed his craft. He's become a very good actor.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:44 am
YellowKing wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:27 pm Ah yeah, grounded is definitely different from dark, I get what you're saying. There's really no room in a Pattinson Batman for some of Gotham's more colorful characters.
Or in Nolan's, and they never really did anything with Batfleck that was about Batman (he was always playing a role in someone else's movie.) In other words, we haven't had an actual Batman movie that wasn't grounded since The Nipples. And we haven't had a good comics-based Batman film in 29 years. So, yeah, I find it a little disappointing. Not that it may not be a great film, and I'll still be in line to see it, and may still love it. And comics Batman himself was fairly grounded for the first few years, so there's that. I'd just love to see a good film that captures the whole of the character. And part of that is that he's a grounded character holding his own in a universe that is just the opposite.
The Nolan Batman movies all took inspiration from various Batman comic runs, so I'm not sure what you mean by "we haven't had a good comics-based Batman film in 29 years".
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:44 am
The Nolan Batman movies all took inspiration from various Batman comic runs, so I'm not sure what you mean by "we haven't had a good comics-based Batman film in 29 years".
It all ties in to the context of the conversation. The Nolan movies also 'adjusted' the character and setting to make him more grounded (In other words, believable as a real-world character without the need for an alternate universe to explain what's happening.) They took the character and pruned everything supernatural, superhero-y, or comic book-y about him and those that surrounded him. Try this test: Could you add Clayface or Man-Bat to the Nolan movies without seriously changing either the characters (like they did with Bane) or compromising the style of the universe?

I also didn't think he was a very good representation of Batman - he was just a rich guy with gadgets, not the "World's Greatest Detective" (He was kind of a dunce), and certainly not the one of the world's top martial artists.

They were good Batman movies, inspired, as you said, by the comics. They were not comics-based Batman movies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, there has never been a Batman movie that focused on the "World's Greatest Detective" side of the character. Although it sounds like this version might be trying to do just that.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That actually sounds like it would be a fairly interesting angle to take.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:57 pm To be fair, there has never been a Batman movie that focused on the "World's Greatest Detective" side of the character. Although it sounds like this version might be trying to do just that.
I agree. When people ask me for an example of what's missing from Batman movies, I point to the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies. 20% the 90s films, 25% Nolan/Pattinson, 20% Batfleck, 35% Sherlock Holmes. Mix well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ted f'n Lasso is The Batman

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've been seeing a ton of commercials for this during the Olympics. And they just... don't do anything for me. I know I'll see it at some point, and will probably even like it. There's nothing in the trailers that looks bad to me, but nothing that jumps out as looking good either.

It's very strange to be this close to a new Batman movie and to be experiencing zero hype for it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As someone recently certified as fresh, I can say that I am looking forward to this one. I like the idea that they'll be concentrating on the detective side of Batman more than past films.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:37 pm As someone recently certified as fresh, I can say that I am looking forward to this one. I like the idea that they'll be concentrating on the detective side of Batman more than past films.
I'm gonna need to see the paperwork related to your "fresh" certification.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe you'll find that my papers are in order.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

msteelers wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:35 pm I've been seeing a ton of commercials for this during the Olympics. And they just... don't do anything for me. I know I'll see it at some point, and will probably even like it. There's nothing in the trailers that looks bad to me, but nothing that jumps out as looking good either.

It's very strange to be this close to a new Batman movie and to be experiencing zero hype for it.
I'm kind of there myself. I'll see it, but it feels entirely too grounded. There is a happy medium between Schumacher camp and tossing the comic book elements entirely. Nobody seems to be able to make that movie, though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want zero Schumacher in my Batman, thank you very much.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:18 pm I believe you'll find that my papers are in order.
I'm not sure that carpet_pissr has the authority to confer that rating.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What??? But he sent me a picture of himself holding a tomato and watching a movie!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:51 pm What??? But he sent me a picture of himself holding a tomato and watching a movie!
I'll have to look into this, as official reviewer of internet certifications.

That said, I do agree with your opinion about this upcoming film, which does give some credence to your asserted "fresh" rating.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just wish we’d get a big screen Bat Mite finally.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We're so close.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I know. It’s what gave me hope!
He won. Period.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've got to agree with Blackhawk. I don't get a Batman vibe from the ads and trailers. I'm quite sure I'd say grounded but it feels like a generic action movie not a Batman movie due to the gunplay and the driving.

I love the look of almost every Batmobile version I've ever seen but the more Batman plays with cars the less interesting he is to me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There is a car in this scene, but Batman's not driving it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m starting to see some reviews… and they’re sounding good.
Reeves’ take on Gotham City is grounded and gritty but still rooted firmly in comic book mentality. And, chiefly for me, it’s an actual detective story plot. Finally, the “World’s Greatest Detective” gets to earn that title on film.
87 percent on RT from 160 critics so far. As someone also certified fresh, I’m hopeful.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:23 pm I’m starting to see some reviews… and they’re sounding good.
Reeves’ take on Gotham City is grounded and gritty but still rooted firmly in comic book mentality. And, chiefly for me, it’s an actual detective story plot. Finally, the “World’s Greatest Detective” gets to earn that title on film.
87 percent on RT from 160 critics so far. As someone also certified fresh, I’m hopeful.
Above 80%? Automatically "in". :P
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And every indication is that Pattinson's one of the best Batmen to date.

Ahem:
YellowKing wrote:Oct. 21, 2021: He [Pattinson] really is a terrific actor, and I think he'll surprise people in this film.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also liked this review quote from rogerebert.com
His “Batman” is more akin to a gritty, ‘70s crime drama than a soaring and transporting blockbuster. With its kinetic, unpredictable action, it calls to mind films like “The Warriors” as well as one of the greatest of them all in the genre, “The French Connection.” And with a series of high-profile murders driving the plot, it sometimes feels as if the Zodiac killer is terrorizing the citizens of Gotham.
The Warriors crossed with The French Connection?

Yes please.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:16 pm And every indication is that Pattinson's one of the best Batmen to date.

Ahem:
YellowKing wrote:Oct. 21, 2021: He [Pattinson] really is a terrific actor, and I think he'll surprise people in this film.
Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 pm I think he'll be a great Bruce Wayne. Not sure how his skinny'ish self will look and move in the suit though. Im sure he will be fine. I messed up when I predicted Heath would suck as the Joker. But I pegged it when I had learned my lesson and said Henry would be a great Geralt.
Right on....DYN O MITE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I saw a blurb that Matt Reeves would love to do his spin on some of the more exotic villains like Clayface. I would be ALL IN on that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read that as “erotic” at first glance. Thank god I took a second glance.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

OK, now I'm in. The detective Batman is a lot more appealing than more blockbuster CGI explosion fests.
And Pattinson is working hard to get away from his Twilight typecasting. He always delivers.