Television Show Randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Television Show Randomness

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:17 pm The Comey Rule on Showtime. Because this is what we want to relive right now.

Enlarge Image
Maybe we need to relive it. Or rather, some of us need to live it for the first time. But you're right: My first reaction was "too soon."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moonbase 8 on Showtime

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Comedy Store on Showtime

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Industry on HBO

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your Honor on Showtime

Enlarge Image
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

The 2020 Emmys was really fun! Jimmy Kimmel was a really good host. Did you watch and enjoy it too?
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Did not watch. Please tell me Randy Rainbow won something though. Even a leg lamp would suffice.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

KKBlue wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 pm The 2020 Emmys was really fun! Jimmy Kimmel was a really good host. Did you watch and enjoy it too?
Didn't watch it but was really happy for the Schitt's Creek crew. Well deserved.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 am Did not watch. Please tell me Randy Rainbow won something though. Even a leg lamp would suffice.
No major award but he was nominated.
rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pmDidn't watch it but was really happy for the Schitt's Creek crew. Well deserved.
Totally agree! Was fun watching the excitement and surprise reactions from cast. Also, because of TV rules, every time someone said the name of the show, the title appeared on screen. :roll:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hear Schitt's is moving to Comedy Central next week, so we'll finally be able to stream it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

KKBlue wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:15 am Totally agree! Was fun watching the excitement and surprise reactions from cast. Also, because of TV rules, every time someone said the name of the show, the title appeared on screen. :roll:
:lol: That's great.

I'm also happy to hear they won big. Great cast all around, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: Catherine O"Hara is a goddamn treasure. :wub:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I started watching The Walking Dead on Netflix a while back and have been doing a couple episodes a night. Overall, I love the show and the dilemmas it puts people into.

Some of the plot points irk me badly, though. I know I'm years late to the discussion.

Re: Negan
Spoiler:
You know, I get why he survived his first encounter with Rick and crew. He had them outgunned 20 to 1 and in a dire place of weakness.

What I don't get is why he ever got to enter the gates of Alexandria the first time. That very first time he knocked on the gate, casting a shadow and saying "Little pigs, little pigs, let me in" I would have expected the response to be a hail of fully automatic gunfire from the residents. Absolutely no better opportunity.

Yeah, they had Daryl. But with Negan dead, who carries the torch? It was painfully obvious that he ruled through fear alone, and fear never survives the tyrant's demise. His cronies would have been too busy killing each other for the top dog spot to get a shit about former deals and prisoners - or scattering to the four winds now that the terror was gone.

During that gate scene, all I could think of was Rick ripping a man's throat out with his bare teeth when no other option presented itself. The man who was capable of that wasn't dead. In fact, he should have been absolutely incensed after the deaths of Glen and Abraham. There shouldn't have been a moment's hesitation. "Wow. The balls on this guy, walking right up to our gate after what he did? Don't spare the bullets. In fact, go get me an RPG." ... All done.

Then every single scene where Negan's alone with Carl and Carl has Lucile for an hour. Really? The kid who knows exactly how and when to kill in order to save lives (and is filled with white-hot rage) is going to stand behind this man with his own weapon and just stare blankly?

Then Rosita getting her shot and it being bullshit luck he survives? WTF.

There's "Chief Engineer" Eugene, with his two pills of arsenic poison and the wives of Negan fully engaged with a plot to murder him, well out of risk of casting suspicion on Eugene, and he refuses? Because he's got an Atarii 2600 and pickles?

I'm at the point where Rosita and Sasha, up in a perch, waiting for a shot - and I'm sure they'll fail.

WTF is going on? Why is Negan living such a charmed life and why did Rick's group suddenly become slack-jawed idiots?
I know this all happens for the sake of "plot" and "tension" but when it's a show this good and it feels so painfully fabricated, it's annoying.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Paingod wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:12 am I started watching The Walking Dead on Netflix a while back and have been doing a couple episodes a night. Overall, I love the show and the dilemmas it puts people into.

Some of the plot points irk me badly, though. I know I'm years late to the discussion.

Re: Negan
Spoiler:
You know, I get why he survived his first encounter with Rick and crew. He had them outgunned 20 to 1 and in a dire place of weakness.

What I don't get is why he ever got to enter the gates of Alexandria the first time. That very first time he knocked on the gate, casting a shadow and saying "Little pigs, little pigs, let me in" I would have expected the response to be a hail of fully automatic gunfire from the residents. Absolutely no better opportunity.

Yeah, they had Daryl. But with Negan dead, who carries the torch? It was painfully obvious that he ruled through fear alone, and fear never survives the tyrant's demise. His cronies would have been too busy killing each other for the top dog spot to get a shit about former deals and prisoners - or scattering to the four winds now that the terror was gone.

During that gate scene, all I could think of was Rick ripping a man's throat out with his bare teeth when no other option presented itself. The man who was capable of that wasn't dead. In fact, he should have been absolutely incensed after the deaths of Glen and Abraham. There shouldn't have been a moment's hesitation. "Wow. The balls on this guy, walking right up to our gate after what he did? Don't spare the bullets. In fact, go get me an RPG." ... All done.

Then every single scene where Negan's alone with Carl and Carl has Lucile for an hour. Really? The kid who knows exactly how and when to kill in order to save lives (and is filled with white-hot rage) is going to stand behind this man with his own weapon and just stare blankly?

Then Rosita getting her shot and it being bullshit luck he survives? WTF.

There's "Chief Engineer" Eugene, with his two pills of arsenic poison and the wives of Negan fully engaged with a plot to murder him, well out of risk of casting suspicion on Eugene, and he refuses? Because he's got an Atarii 2600 and pickles?

I'm at the point where Rosita and Sasha, up in a perch, waiting for a shot - and I'm sure they'll fail.

WTF is going on? Why is Negan living such a charmed life and why did Rick's group suddenly become slack-jawed idiots?
I know this all happens for the sake of "plot" and "tension" but when it's a show this good and it feels so painfully fabricated, it's annoying.
There's a live TWD thread I bumped recently, it might be better to discuss there, especially with the Season 10 finale coming this week. But anyway, yeah, there's a lot of WTF in the show with the big bads, all the way back to the Governor and as recently as Season 10 with The Whisperers.
Spoiler:
For Negan I give them a little leeway because Rick and the gang were supposedly so broken down by what happened, he was kind of like in a PTSD state. Carl was afraid Negan would hurt Judith, so that portion was understandable for me as well. As the opportunities go on, it got less and less hard to justify, and yes, he does seem to have 9 lives. But keep in mind the show has always flirted with the comic book almost "superhero" nature of some of the heroes, so it's only fair that the villains get some special magic as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Narcissus miniseries on FX

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Big Sky on ABC

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Warrior season 2 has started. This show is one of my guilty pleasures. It’s Hell on Wheels with martial arts. That it’s from one of the creators of Banshee is just icing on the cake...the brutal, fist smashing cake.

He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Airwolf for 8 Cellos sounds surprisingly like Game of Thrones.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hell yeah! Though they've taken some liberties that I'm not sure about.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s apparently ticking off a lot of fanboys of Pratchett. But since I’m not one of them, I thought it looked fun.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:48 pm It’s apparently ticking off a lot of fanboys of Pratchett. But since I’m not one of them, I thought it looked fun.
I am a fanboy. But not in the rabid sense. I'll handle any deviation in stride. And it's been a while since I last read one of the books. I'm just hoping for some of the humor and style to come through.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Television Show Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Pratchett wrote characters, old and young, pretty and not, with many warts. Many fans are upset because they’ve made so many characters traditionally younger and conventionally pretty.

Vimes is supposed to be an old and washed up cop who has seen (and drank) it all and often turned a blind eye, but sometimes cares despite his better judgment. How do you reconcile that with a young punk version?

A female Patrician who is an assassin turned governor could work, but that falls into a bunch of stereotypes of manipulating women. Pratchett generally challenged Stereotypes with his characters.

It’s set in a medieval world that’s becoming modern, and that juxtaposition creates a lot of the humor. For example, vampire AA meetings. Maybe this is the reverse, a modern world with medieval bits but that’s almost a different genre.

His widow is furious over the changes, not just the fans. I’ll watch but most certainly will cringe at times.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Go grab a free trial for AMC Plus streaming and watch the first few episodes of Gangs of London. I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

It’s from the creator of the Raid movies and stars a bunch of great British actors. The fight scenes are fantastic, I have to say. The story may get a bit cliche at times, but the lead bad guy (played by Joe Cole from Peaky Blinders) does a great job of making you think he’s just a mad dog, before pulling the rug out from under you and causing you to realize there was a method to his madness.

There’s also a plot twist with the other main character at the end of episode one I should have seen coming, but they did such a great job of downplaying the obvious foreshadowing that it actually caught me by surprise.

But man, those fight scenes.

I’m hiding this clip in a spoiler because it’s just brutal. Be warned.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35 pmBut man, those fight scenes.
I don't think I've seen violence that frantic or painful since Kingsman: The Secret Service.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The follow up scene with the newly minted crime lord of London in which the character we're following in that scene tries to explain what happened is great. The boss asks him skeptically if he really took on 6 guys, and the guy tells it was more like 8...but that he had a dart.

There's a fight scene in episode two with a "cleaner" clad only in his underwear and a pair of rubber boots (the reason for which I won't explain for gross out purposes) that's even more brutal.

The movie earns an R rating, that's for sure. But even when you're encountering some Hostel level violence, you're also seeing the intrigue and back room dealings going on during the restructuring that arises from the new crime boss taking over. He's rebuilding it all in his image, and it takes a while before you even realize that.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Breaking Beauty on Crackle

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dashing in December on the Paramount Network

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Coyote on CBS All Access

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mr. Mayor on NBC

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:11 am Mr. Mayor on NBC

Enlarge Image
That looks dumb, plus network tv, but...Ted Danson. I will most likely check it out.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If this isn't on topic, I don't know what is.

Mark your calendars because Lifetime and @KFC have partnered for a Lifetime Original Mini-Movie you don't want to miss! "A Recipe For Seduction" starring @MarioLopezviva premieres Sunday at 12PM.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fraiser and Criminal Minds are returning.