OctoCon XXVI - April 17th and 18th - Chicago - Cancelled

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

OctoCon XXVI - April 17th and 18th - Chicago - Cancelled

Post by hentzau »

What: OctoCon XXVI

When: Friday, April 17th, Noon to Midnight and Saturday, April 18th, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $7 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos or Al's Pizza.

I would provide 3-4 dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

ThatSteveGuy and Kristie have stayed at the Aloft Hotel in nearby Rosemont and have recommended it highly.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Questions, let me know.
Last edited by hentzau on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Re: OctoCon XXVI - April 17th and 18th - Chicago

Post by hentzau »

Sorry folks, a little late in getting this up. Hope we can still get some folks to show up!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The one weekend I have something planned for the next two months. :|
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:39 pm The one weekend I have something planned for the next two months. :|
Dammit! This was the only weekend that I didn't have some scout or church conflict going on. Someday, Issy. Someday.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Saturday is already booked, but I can probably swing Friday as long as caronavirus is held at bay.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’ll be a wreck from what’s shaping up as an insane tax season but there on Saturday at least.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:12 pm Saturday is already booked, but I can probably swing Friday as long as caronavirus is held at bay.
But what about Corona Virus and Old Bay?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife is off that Saturday, so the odds I might come are greater than zero.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hentzau, you realize this is literally the largest event in the country right now that still hasn't canceled, right?
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah. And I think it’s only a matter of time right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Maybe hold an online gaming event instead?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Re: OctoCon XXVI - April 17th and 18th - Chicago - Cancelled

Post by hentzau »

Writing is pretty much on the wall that this one isn't going to happen. I'll try and see if I can get an impromptu Saturday of gaming set up there once this stuff all settles down a bit.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Probably the smart choice.
Bob and I had decided not to come up this time (I could and should have let you know earlier). I should check out Tabletopia and other online board gaming sites (I've played once on yucata). Still, it wouldn't be as fun as gaming with all of you.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Maybe hold an online gaming event instead?
Hmmm, it would be an excuse to delve into the world of Tabletopia....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 pm
How much hoop-jumping is required these days? I like the concept of a virtual board game day, but if there's a steep learning curve to install and master the environment then I probably don't have enough motivation for that.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If things ever settle down, I've considered setting up a Roll20 RPG campaign for some selection of OO folks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm If things ever settle down, I've considered setting up a Roll20 RPG campaign for some selection of OO folks.
Can I volunteer to be part of that selection now? :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:22 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm If things ever settle down, I've considered setting up a Roll20 RPG campaign for some selection of OO folks.
For the record, I'm not even remotely committing to anything until I get my regular group transferred over to online and the situation at home squared away enough that it needs less micromanagement. But within the 'this is still a pipe dream' qualifier, sure!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:32 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:22 pm
For the record, I'm not even remotely committing to anything until I get my regular group transferred over to online and the situation at home squared away enough that it needs less micromanagement. But within the 'this is still a pipe dream' qualifier, sure!
I'll think of it like a kickstarter with an unknown developer. :p

If it happens, great. If not, bummer. Hopefully failure to launch is for a positive reason.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'd definitely be interested!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:48 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 pm
How much hoop-jumping is required these days? I like the concept of a virtual board game day, but if there's a steep learning curve to install and master the environment then I probably don't have enough motivation for that.
I haven't used Tabletopia, but I just spent most of this weekend playing Viticulture, Eldritch Horror, Roll through the Ages and Thurn and Taxis on Tabletop Simulator. It can be slightly fiddly, but I think it's an awesome way to get some boardgaming in while staying under quarantine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So what are the chances of a fall 2021 Octocon? Do you think we'll be in a safe enough position by then?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ll have to see where the church is at that point. They’re slowly opening things back up. I’ll keep
everyone informed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Origins is planning on going forward in late October. I've already booked a hotel for that one. Then today I received an email that Gencon is doing some "hybrid" convention which may or may not include an actual in person event. I really couldn't tell from the announcement.

I really hope we're able to return to some normalcy by late summer, but I totally understand caution. And liability.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:49 pm Then today I received an email that Gencon is doing some "hybrid" convention which may or may not include an actual in person event. I really couldn't tell from the announcement.
Bumped from August to September. In person with capped attendance (those who rolled their badges from 2020 over get priority, and there is a possibility of a second badge run if things ease enough), plus they're doing the GenCon online again for the rest. Also, a 'modified format.' I have no idea what that means.

With reduced attendance, I'm not confident that a lot of the exhibitors/vendors would even show up. At least if GenCon doesn't lower their prices significantly to compensate for the reduced traffic.