Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Jeff V »

I might have to concede the doomsday nuts are at least making life difficult on us normals. Asswipes are nowhere to be found, and I'm not sure what all else is going to be hard to get. For sure I need to add to my beer reserves...I have some random cans (2 pounders that may be good, the rest pretty much crap I'd prefer using for boiling brats rather than drinking). I also have what might be the last 12 pack of Celebration Ale sold in this area, purchased this past weekend.

In an effort to get our spending under control, we've committed ourselves to shopping just once a week (which is how we missed out on the TP rush). What else is everyone stocking up on? I feel I should probably clean the freezers out of stuff no longer viable and replace it with otherwise perishable items. The dude who sat my dog when we were out of town a couple of days last month is soliciting raw meats (freezer burnt ok!) for his dogs who are on a raw meat diet, so at least the stuff won't go in the trash.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We always have a few weeks worth of carbs (pasta, rice, flour, grains), canned beans, and some dried stuff (lentils). A few pounds of frozen chicken. Lots of dried fruit.

We should probably have more than a case of water but I have a few water filtration kits so...

Also set for ammo and batteries.

So all we really stocked up on is some Gatorade, children's Tylenol, beer, and I got a few bottles of shootin' whiskey.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Books, games, and Netflix content.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I live in earthquake country, so I always have a bit of extra doodads like batteries, flashlights, canned food, and some bottled water laying around. I made a point of laying in some emergency instant coffee just in case society breaks down and I can't get freshly roasted coffee beans to grind. My toilet paper supply is the usual, since I don't think toilet paper will become unattainable when I need more.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nothing. Just carrying on as usual. In Canada, the amount of hysteria is massively overblown as compared to the number of actual cases. In my city, there's only been 1 confirmed case and they're currently in isolation and it hasn't shown signs of circulating. But that hasn't stopped the mass hysteria from getting people to stock up on things such as TP or bottled water. The Costco in our city has been out of TP for a few days now.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 pm We always have a few weeks worth of carbs (pasta, rice, flour, grains), canned beans, and some dried stuff (lentils). A few pounds of frozen chicken. Lots of dried fruit.

We should probably have more than a case of water but I have a few water filtration kits so...

Also set for ammo and batteries.

So all we really stocked up on is some Gatorade, children's Tylenol, beer, and I got a few bottles of shootin' whiskey.
We're good on food, as long as you count Mac and Cheese. Milk though, since the walk-in beer cooler is in seasonal malfunction we only have room for a gallon. Our fridge filter is not squawking, so we're good on tap water even though we have at least a half case of bottled in the garage.

As far as booze, I have some hard stuff but prefer not to indulge in it. I should probably pick up a couple of boxes of wine (I can deal with Vella) to augment whatever beer I stock. We do have lots of pasta as well as protein to go with it (clams, mixed seafood, lobster tails, shrimp, meatballs, ground beef). And probably a dozen boxes of Mac and Cheese...I won't touch anything but the traditional but I do feed the kids the cauliflower or whole wheat varieties.

Pizza reserves are low due to insufficient freezer space -- that needs to be corrected before the next shopping trip. Also have a ton of fish after going to Seafood City last weekend.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I started stockpiling two weeks ago and have a comfortable supply of beer, coffee, cigarettes, and reefer. The essentials are covered. I've been adding semi-randomly to the pasta, grains, snacks, cat food, and canned foods in the pantry. I thought I had ample stores until Wife got the order to work at home from now on; I had figured on making dinner every night for two weeks, but now I'll have to supply lunches, too, and because she grazes continuously no amount of snacks is enough.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 pm Nothing. Just carrying on as usual. In Canada, the amount of hysteria is massively overblown as compared to the number of actual cases.
I get that but I'm surrounded by idiots and if the ass wipe shortage is any indication, I might find myself hurting for other essentials.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mrs Skinypupy just got home from Costco.

- The entire frozen foods section was cleaned out. Literally nothing in there at all. Said people were climbing into the freezers to see if there happened to be something others missed
- Not a single loaf of bread
- Milk is completely gone
- They get TP shipments every morning, but they’re gone in the first 30 minutes. You have to line up an hour before opening to even get a chance at some...which she may have to do tomorrow. We’re down to our last roll, and the Amazon order we placed won’t arrive until next Thursday.

I’ll admit it’s getting rather worrisome.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We live in the middle of nowhere, and the stores get stripped every time there is a raindrop in the next county. Our stores are 'low priority' for their parent companies, so they're often out of everything anyway. I decided to play it safe. I don't have a lot of money to buy food outside of the budget, so I went cheap. I picked up a couple of jars of peanut butter, a few $2.50 boxes of 12 ramen, some mac & cheese, a 5-pound bag of rice, some Clif bars, a big thing of salsa, a bag of nuts, a bag of raisins, and a few other things. I bought an extra pack each of TP and paper towels a few weeks ago before the rush started. I think I will make a batch of hardtack next week, too. It doesn't sound like much, but it will be enough for the four of us for a couple of weeks if we can't get to the store. Nobody will enjoy it, but they won't starve.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 pm
- They get TP shipments every morning, but they’re gone in the first 30 minutes. You have to line up an hour before opening to even get a chance at some...which she may have to do tomorrow. We’re down to our last roll, and the Amazon order we placed won’t arrive until next Thursday.

Yep, that's what we''ve been told too. My Mom was there earlier today and there was none, and she's going back to wait in line tomorrow. Pretty crazy considering we really don't have reasons for stocking up as such over here. 1 Case and suddenly it makes people lose their shit. And it's far from the only store with shortages. I mean, I can understand in more populated centers & bigger cities, but this is urban rural. And our city acts as a sort of regional hub to the entire region.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I went to Tractor Supply and bought some fish antibiotics. :mrgreen: Other than that, I'm pretty much stocked up the same as I do during hurricane season, but with the addition of cold and flu items.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you can wait, just order TP off Amazon. Their Solimo paper ain't bad, and comparable to mid-grade TP in supermarkets. I have a monthly shipment setup on subscribe and save and I actually have a case (30 rolls) extra (didn't use much as I thought I need)

I have 1 "lifestraw" type filter, and plenty of containers, but haven't filled them yet. I have rice and noodles, and I have a Prime Now! shipment for tomorrow afternoon for some proteins and salad. I even have some of those 2000 calories emergency rations bars I bought a while back "just in case". They're vac-sealed so I'm not tempted to break them open yet. Supposed to shelf for at least 5 years. :D I got other snacks like peanuts and other nuts.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We got our typical pallet of toilet paper a couple of weeks ago, so we're good on that. During shopping trips we've been getting a few extra items each time - canned goods, dried beans, pastas, etc. I'm going to try to hit the grocery store tonight hoping that they'll still have enough stuff out that I can stock up for the week on fresh items (which is our typical approach since we are once a week shoppers - no use in stocking up on produce that will go bad).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 am I went to Tractor Supply and bought some fish antibiotics. :mrgreen: Other than that, I'm pretty much stocked up the same as I do during hurricane season, but with the addition of cold and flu items.
Fish antibiotics won't help you with the cold and flu but might cure that case of ick you have going ...
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 am If you can wait, just order TP off Amazon. Their Solimo paper ain't bad, and comparable to mid-grade TP in supermarkets. I have a monthly shipment setup on subscribe and save and I actually have a case (30 rolls) extra (didn't use much as I thought I need)
Be warned that the soonest we could get delivery from Amazon for TP was a full week. Nothing's coming quickly right now.

Told Mrs. Skinypupy she might need to sit on the porch and guard that delivery with a shotgun. ;)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Spongecake.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 am If you can wait, just order TP off Amazon. Their Solimo paper ain't bad, and comparable to mid-grade TP in supermarkets. I have a monthly shipment setup on subscribe and save and I actually have a case (30 rolls) extra (didn't use much as I thought I need)
Most everything is sold out, except for institutional-brands by the case (the multipurpose stuff companies buy to use for wiping asses, filling fax machines, and scrubbing tar off the plant floor).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oh, and it appears there are plenty of novelty TP available.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We're just doing our usual, but that involves bulk orders (like 5lb bags) of nuts, raisins, grains, and cereals. Add to that a few dozen eggs (also normally on the list) and maybe a couple extra items ... we should be find for weeks before needing to refill.

We've probably got enough TP left in the house for 3 months, but haven't bought any in a while. Again, bulk purchasing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Frustrating part is that I really don't want to hoard. I've actively tried to avoid stocking up on things unnecessarily. We've always prepared so we have enough in our house to be self-sufficient for a few weeks, but have been trying not to go overboard on anything.

But as this thing snowballs, you're basically forced into the behavior even if you don't want to be. It's not like you can just sit it out, because there simply won't be anything left if you wait to act.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am Frustrating part is that I really don't want to hoard. I've actively tried to avoid stocking up on things unnecessarily. We've always prepared so we have enough in our house to be self-sufficient for a few weeks, but have been trying not to go overboard on anything.

But as this thing snowballs, you're basically forced into the behavior even if you don't want to be. It's not like you can just sit it out, because there simply won't be anything left if you wait to act.
I see this sentiment a lot, and it seems like a lot of people think there’s just binary “have supplies for a week or two”, and “hoarding.” In between those extremes is “disaster preparedness,” which shouldn’t have such a stigma.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's pretty f***ing amazing how fast people will want to hoard stuff. Even paper towels are running out.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have a reasonable amount of TP, and I also ordered a bidet sprayer hose off Amazon. I usually have sufficient OTC meds in my cabinet. I usually have sufficient cleaning supplies around as well.

As for food - I did buy some extra beans and rice, and also come extra cans of beans and stew. I also got a couple of cases of ramen and ordered some dried vegetable soup mix in bulk. I made sure to have enough dog food around.

My only concern is prescription meds.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pm I have a reasonable amount of TP, and I also ordered a bidet sprayer hose off Amazon.
Been thinking about this even before this shit storm......
Which one did you go with?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

This one. I haven't received or installed it yet.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And I joked on FB today about panic-ordering a bidet.

For those who had indoor crappers in the Philippines, they were all so equipped -- but they also had floor drains. Thanks to Prime, I can wait about a week for store-restocking before this alternative solution becomes necessary.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am
Be warned that the soonest we could get delivery from Amazon for TP was a full week. Nothing's coming quickly right now.

Told Mrs. Skinypupy she might need to sit on the porch and guard that delivery with a shotgun. ;)
If you get an email saying it's backordered, then I'd worry.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 pmIf you get an email saying it's backordered, then I'd worry.
All the TP options for me on Amazon say "Unable to deliver to your location". This is for normal TP packages - rolls of 6,8,12 or 24. They want to sell me wacky novelty rolls or giant industrial sized rolls you'd find at a mall or theme park toilet. I'm beginning to wonder when people are just going to start ordering porta-potty delivery because it's cheaper/easier than trying to find TP - and it'll come with some PLUS hand sanitizer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TP theft from public bathrooms comes next.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am

If you get an email saying it's backordered, then I'd worry.
It apparently shipped last night.

Fingers crossed.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:17 pm TP theft from public bathrooms comes next.
I’ve already heard reports of that in my area.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When I was in line last night at the supermarket, the people behind me were all jockeying positions to reach *over* the conveyor belt and help themselves to the cashier's hand sanitizer. He was a teenager so he didn't care, but it was a genuine WTF moment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:47 pm This one. I haven't received or installed it yet.
I went with This one.
Cant imagine trying to fumble with a sprayer down there while sitting. Plus.....multiple people using it? Defeats the hygienic benefits, doesn't it?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm planning to install in my master bathroom, and I'm the only user. The one you got looks like it might be a better idea. How soon can you report back on it?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm How soon can you report back on it?
:D

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm I'm planning to install in my master bathroom, and I'm the only user. The one you got looks like it might be a better idea. How soon can you report back on it?
Getting it Monday. Will install after work. Probably gonna do Taco Bell for lunch, just so I can put it to the ultimate test.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Better make sure the warranty covers that sort of industrial use.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm Better make sure the warranty covers that sort of industrial use.
Heh heh heh :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 pmIf you get an email saying it's backordered, then I'd worry.
All the TP options for me on Amazon say "Unable to deliver to your location". This is for normal TP packages - rolls of 6,8,12 or 24. They want to sell me wacky novelty rolls or giant industrial sized rolls you'd find at a mall or theme park toilet. I'm beginning to wonder when people are just going to start ordering porta-potty delivery because it's cheaper/easier than trying to find TP - and it'll come with some PLUS hand sanitizer.
A 6-roll pack of Angel Farts (my brand) is $20 on Amazon. Normal price: $5.99.