Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:09 pmAfter not seeing any eggs on Monday, I bought two dozen eggs on Tuesday. That's the first overstock/hoarding I have done.
We like hit the feed store for eggs, and I've seen them at a large hardware/farm store. I typically buy them about 90 at a time, lasts me over a month of breakfasts. Not sure where you're at or if a store like those is nearby, but unusual options may end up being the best ones.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:09 pmAfter not seeing any eggs on Monday, I bought two dozen eggs on Tuesday. That's the first overstock/hoarding I have done.
We like hit the feed store for eggs, and I've seen them at a large hardware/farm store. I typically buy them about 90 at a time, lasts me over a month of breakfasts. Not sure where you're at or if a store like those is nearby, but unusual options may end up being the best ones.
I'm in 1950's suburbia which is to say in between the urban food deserts and contemporary suburbia. Farms fresh eggs could probably be had with 10 to 15 miles from my house but I don't know where and at least to date, it's still too much of a hassle. That could change though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister raises pet chickens and has eggs. My cousin raising chickens just for eggs and has too many.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife says our local store is having "Senior Day". Whatever that is.
I assume it means only seniors can come in early. Or maybe people can shoot seniors on that day with no penalty.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm My wife says our local store is having "Senior Day". Whatever that is.
I assume it means only seniors can come in early. Or maybe people can shoot seniors on that day with no penalty.
Stores in Canada have started doing this as well, although it's done every day. They're setting an hour (Senior Hour they're calling it) or two aside for Seniors who may be frail in order for them to do their groceries without fear of running into crowds.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some stores are offering earlier hours where they're letting people over a certain age in. These types of offerings are suggestions and truly unenforceable but hopefully the people in your area respect the effort to try and let the elderly in. Ideally you can explore options for ordering online and then picking things up and/or having delivery. I would highly recommend doing that over going to a store if you can.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How many points are you worth dbt?

If you're just winged but your stepson is taken out is there prizes involved?

Be careful of senior hour traps. They disguise a nursing home as a store and as soon as the seniors are in they lock the doors, remove the disguise, and start serving beans and potatoes.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm My wife says our local store is having "Senior Day". Whatever that is.
The first 5000 visitors will get free covid-19 infected MAGA hats, courtesy of your local Democratic Party.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:46 pm My sister raises pet chickens and has eggs. My cousin raising chickens just for eggs and has too many.
We had chickens and tons of eggs growing up. Until recently my parents had four free range chickens for eggs and they were more had more eggs than my parents ate and my dad has eggs for breakfast every morning.

It's pretty much an egg a day per hen for a good three years.
Jag

Post by Jag »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm On the rest of it, we have enough cold weather gear to survive gas/power outage. Water might be an issue but we have several days worth plus filters and a roof deck for collection. Have 1.5K rounds of handgun ammo, 1.5K .22lr and about 100 rounds 6.5 creedmoor. That's just a factor of having to buy in bulk thanks to Cook County taxes but it seems like a safe amount (thanks Cook County!). Shotgun is off-site, need to rectify next time I get to the range.
I really need to think about picking up a shotgun. I don't have any guns in the house because of my kids, but I've taken them to the range and taught them gun safety through the years (my dad was a gun collector). I just have terrible thoughts of my younger (16yo) son with some issues getting his hands on it during a bad phase. That's been what's keeping them out of my house for now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm How many points are you worth dbt?

If you're just winged but your stepson is taken out is there prizes involved?

Be careful of senior hour traps. They disguise a nursing home as a store and as soon as the seniors are in they lock the doors, remove the disguise, and start serving beans and potatoes.
It was proven during my time in the army that I am not good at dodging bullets.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a shotgun and pistol and a box of ammo each. I figure that should be enough as the people who come and break into my house will have plenty of guns and ammo for me to take after I remove them from the world.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope I have enough food stocked. I dont want to go to town. Im out of SNAP for the month. I usually offset that with getting a free bag of food at the local helping place. But Im not going to go sit in a room of 10-20 people for 30 min waiting to be called NEXT to get a bag of food.

I dont know how people afford to buy off Amazon. Something that costs me $2 locally is like $25+ on Amazon plus shipping too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jag wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm On the rest of it, we have enough cold weather gear to survive gas/power outage. Water might be an issue but we have several days worth plus filters and a roof deck for collection. Have 1.5K rounds of handgun ammo, 1.5K .22lr and about 100 rounds 6.5 creedmoor. That's just a factor of having to buy in bulk thanks to Cook County taxes but it seems like a safe amount (thanks Cook County!). Shotgun is off-site, need to rectify next time I get to the range.
I really need to think about picking up a shotgun. I don't have any guns in the house because of my kids, but I've taken them to the range and taught them gun safety through the years (my dad was a gun collector). I just have terrible thoughts of my younger (16yo) son with some issues getting his hands on it during a bad phase. That's been what's keeping them out of my house for now.
That's always a concern, that they fall into the wrong hands (not bad guy hands, kids' hands). Everything is locked up in safes or pelican cases, ammo is stored with the wrong caliber firearm, and rifles have the bolts removed. Not perfect because kids can get into anything given enough time and persistence. But I feel between security and teaching them gun safety it's good. I also pay a shitload too much to for a range membership and locker. I keep several firearms there. Because honestly you can have too many to keep track of an I want to know where everything is at home at all times.

If you're comfortable giving up a few seconds of response time you can store firearms very securely. If you feel the need to access a gun in seconds from anywhere in the house it's going to be tough. You have to give up the pistol in the nightstand and shotgun in the Ottoman when you have kids.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well,I was in the local Save Mart today and it was probably 75% empty. Even the pharmacy was closed. No paper products, no meat products, very few veggies, no frozen goods except for what must be the worst of the frozen pizzas.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:58 pm If you're comfortable giving up a few seconds of response time you can store firearms very securely. If you feel the need to access a gun in seconds from anywhere in the house it's going to be tough. You have to give up the pistol in the nightstand and shotgun in the Ottoman when you have kids.
Yeah, I'm viewing this as more of a slow moving zombie apocalypse type situation rather than a fast home invasion.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now that the law where companies make products like they did in war time is being signed I wonder if those products that will widely available will become collectors items.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

em2nought wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 am I wonder if a cpap machine might be able to save your life if you can't get on a ventilator?
Maybe
https://github.com/jcl5m1/ventilator
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange how even when you have more stuff stocked than normal that it seems to go faster when you're trying to conserve than not.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 pm Strange how even when you have more stuff stocked than normal that it seems to go faster when you're trying to conserve than not.
Heh. Every time I use a can of beans now, I'm thinking about how soon I can replace it, even though I have more beans than I'd normally use in a month.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

em2nought wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 am I wonder if a cpap machine might be able to save your life if you can't get on a ventilator?
Maybe
I wouldn't count on it. My son has been on a vent a number of times, and a cpap (or a bipap, which is the same as a cpap except it helps on both the inhale and the exhale and which my son uses at home) would not have done much for him. You need a vent when you're not getting enough oxygen, and a vent is pushing higher than room level O2 (which is 21%, IIRC). If you're in a position that a cpap is going to help you, you probably don't really need a ventilator.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was confusing last night after we put away all of the groceries and I started thinking about dinner. I remembered item A and it sounded good... no, that's in the storage stack. Can't touch it. B? No, that's storage, too. Is C regular supply? Yep! Now, for the side...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm
Maybe
I wouldn't count on it. My son has been on a vent a number of times, and a cpap (or a bipap, which is the same as a cpap except it helps on both the inhale and the exhale and which my son uses at home) would not have done much for him. You need a vent when you're not getting enough oxygen, and a vent is pushing higher than room level O2 (which is 21%, IIRC). If you're in a position that a cpap is going to help you, you probably don't really need a ventilator.
I was just wondering about oxygen in regard to ventilators tonight when I saw the little old lady and her portable oxygen on a commercial. I also saw a video of a Chinese couple who have ventilated their son manually with an intubation bag 24 hours a day 7 days a week for I don't know how long, not having to do with this virus though.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
mori

Post by mori »

I quit Blue Apron sometime early last year and totally forgot about them. Then I watched a Youtube video and the host mentioned another one of those ready to prepare meal companies. That is another option to get food delivered to you. I signed up for Hello Fresh this time. Promo codes all over the internet for the company of your choice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Come next month I need to try and find some powdered milk. They gave me some free many months ago and I tried it for the first time ever. I couldn't tell the difference in it and normal milk at all and Im a huge milk person. Also I wish MREs were cheap. For a few years now Ive wanted some and my wife was going to try to get a few that last year but those things are like $12 each so that was out and still is unfortunately.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Went on a booze run tonight. Ordered 48 bags of sunflower seeds. Ordered my first batch of 9mm ammo that will probably take 3 weeks to get here.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I probably have more ammo than everybody else on this site all together.
Not counting black powder and rounds and lead and bullet molds.
But in all honesty the only guns I would use for self defense are shotguns and little 32s.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I went to the store this morning. It was NOT Seniors morning. It was more crowded than normal for 7 AM.
No TP, a few ultra cheap paper towels, no cleansers of any kind. No eggs but the really expensive free range fucking chicken type. Can veggies, water, bread, and paper plates picked thru pretty good.
Plenty of fresh veggies and fruits.
Good news is gas is ultra cheap.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't make it to senior hour -- that's just too damned early -- but I did get to the grocer by 8:30 today, which is also too damned early but at least I managed it. Still no paper products, pasta, or ground beef, and now they're out of cat food and dried beans, too. The second store did have a few packages of ground beef, but it was the 90% lean ground sirloin that goes for close to $10/lb and makes lousy burgers. Pass.

I did manage to fill in a few things that I needed. I intend to keep checking in every few days to luck into those precious items. If the truck drivers and loading dock people and stock clerks stop working, the whole supply chain gets paralyzed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I went to a Meijer at 7 am on my way to work and lo, there were asswipes! Limit 2 packages, so I got (2) 18-roll packs of Northern. Should be good a month or more, and my wife will be glad I'm not putting myself at risk through fruitless questing.

Which reminds me, I still have to go to store to buy fruits.

I didn't try to get any meat or frozen things (freezers were largely empty). Got a box of wine and 18 more cans/bottles of beer, plus a 40 pack of catfood and a 12-pack of dog food. And some canned beans, cheese and pasta and pasta sauce. A little annoyed I had to buy a 4 pack of blueberry muffins when I just wanted one, though...no single bakery items available. Got milk but dropped it in the parking lot, where the plastic ruptured and drenched me in a milk shower.

I wanted to buy yeast so I could make my own breadly things but there was none to be found. I have some at home, not much though.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not even sure the stores around here are being restocked. The 3 times I went in 2 weeks the same things were still empty plus more was empty each trip. I mean no one goes out how do we know trucks are running
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Had to do some last minute wet-ink work at work. Went in for an hour, glad I did because I had bananas on my desk that would look pretty bad in a few weeks.

On the way home got potting soil and propane for deck activities. Also hit the grocery. Packed but everyone was very careful to keep distance. Saw a lot of masks, gloves. Nothing was completely out of stock. Milk, eggs, our, butter, TP were all available. Some had limits.

The gun shop and range are on the way so I stopped there as well. Line was 30 deep 15 minutes after opening. They were only letting 5 people in at a time, one out, next in. Since I was just hitting my locker, they let me cut to the front (and used it as a selling point for everyone in line, "Membership has it's privileges, folks!"). Felt like a rock star.

Shelves were mostly bare, most of the ammo was gone. There was a one-box limit per caliber. One guy bitched. There was a uniformed cop in there buying and he was only allowed one box, like everyone else. He tried to make that point, that even cops were only allowed one box but the guy persisted. So they kicked him the fuck out. There is literally no where else in the city to get ammo. Nice job, brah.

They were out of shotgun ammo and I only had slugs in the locker so I left it but grabbed a handgun and about 3 boxes of ammo from the locker stash. Had to carry them in my pocket so people outside didn't get pissed.

Found it funny that a consigned gun I thought was overpriced a month ago was priced 30% higher and was still sitting on the shelf, alone in its display case that usually has 30 pistols. It was a P229 X-five stainless. Very nice but way over priced. I think the guy secretly doesn't want to sell it. Also remaining was a Browning .22 takedown, some WWII 1911s, and other C&R stuff. Guess no one wants to pay collector's prices even in the apocalypse.

Because we have a 72 hour waiting period, most people buying guns were just picking up from buying earlier in the week. No one was actually looking at stock.

And you thought there was a run on TP.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We cleaned out Wife's old office. Traffic was light and parking was both ample and free. The city isn't dead, but it was xmas-day level busy.

On the way home we decided to stop by the booze barn because she's out of wine. They actually had a line out the door and a guy letting people in -- must have had an occupancy limit. We opted not to stand in line and drove to my packy instead. It's a few miles farther away, and its prices are a smidgen higher, and it was busy, too, but not Total Wine busy. This is what happens when all the bars and restaurants are closed. I laid in another week's worth of beer since I was there. I figure I've got a month's supply now.

I feel like I'm ready to shelter in place for at least a few days. Still going to need to quest for TP and cat food next week. Our governor repeated again that there are no plans for a shelter-in-place order; I don't believe him.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Based on word in another thread that a shelter in place order is coming for Illinois, I moved up our next shopping trip and went today. Shelves were mostly stocked, with notable exceptions being paper goods (although there were napkins!), some parts of the frozen goods (veggies were being restocked while I was there, so I grabbed a few bags; most pizzas were gone, they must have just stocked the Home Run Inns, so I grabbed a couple of those), and, contrary to popular jokes, the gluten free section is pretty bare - people with food restrictions tend to stock up early, I guess. Plenty of meat, including ground beef (but I had bought and froze some last trip, so I didn't bother getting more). They were limiting some items (2 dozen eggs, 1 loaf of bread), but I got most things I need. The produce was well stocked, so I was able to keep us in fresh food and veggies for a little while longer. The fridge (and particularly the freezer) are full to bursting for now, so we'll be able to stay in for a while.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of our neighbors saw us unloading the car and offered to run errands for us. Now I feel elderly.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tony's at Lincoln and Foster was pretty much stocked with everything. Except corn starch. (??)

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:06 pm Tony's at Lincoln and Foster was pretty much stocked with everything. Except corn starch. (??)
How are you going to thicken your sauces???
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:07 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:06 pm Tony's at Lincoln and Foster was pretty much stocked with everything. Except corn starch. (??)
How are you going to thicken your sauces???
Comet
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Nice one Daehawk! I needed that!
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.