Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot of cosplayers are working on costumes that include masks naturally - superheroes, some anime characters, etc.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm So I'm up to a monthly Costco run and what seems like a bi(every other)weekly Aldi supplemental run. And my observations from Costco, I was a bit taken aback at how complaint people are to mask wearing. There was only one below the nose mask wearer, but following the arrows and social distancing and considerations for fellow shoppers is pretty much pre-Covid. Other observations. Coffee was on sale. In the before times, I'd go through about 4 huge "400 cup" Folgers containers are year. I bought three of them as I am using more than one a month now. Which I guess makes sense. I make them probably twice as strong as you would if you followed the directions and 200 cups a month = 6.6 cups a day (which is actually a bit high, think. Maybe I'm drinking a lot more and haven't noticed. I thought I was 4ish or 1 24 oz Yeti a day on most days) Also observed, they have a whole Halloween/Costume section open... at the beginning of June... during a pandemic.... I'm... Well, let's just say this year is likely to suck for kids and cosplay fans...
Broadly speaking, given the gargantuan size of most Costco locations, depending when you go, they have to be among the safest possible locations to shop at just in terms of the people-to-air flow ratio. They're like the polar opposite of shopping at a cramped east coast bodega.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've noticed that canned soup is getting low and that sodas are no longer in cans.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Rubbing alcohol is back at the Walgreens at least. They've got it by the register and you have to ask for it like it's one of those expensive things they don't want walking out of the store so easily. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm There was only one below the nose mask wearer, but following the arrows and social distancing and considerations for fellow shoppers is pretty much pre-Covid.
It's so frustrating to me. I don't think the one-way aisles really does much, but is it really that hard to follow them to show consideration? I feel like it's turning into the one way people feel they can safely protest COVID restrictions in a deep blue region. ;)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

em2nought wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:34 am Rubbing alcohol is back at the Walgreens at least. They've got it by the register and you have to ask for it like it's one of those expensive things they don't want walking out of the store so easily. :mrgreen:
It's been readily available here. Interesting how regional the shortages can be.

Today they had Soft Soap refills! I was so excited that I bought two.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:35 pm It's so frustrating to me. I don't think the one-way aisles really does much, but is it really that hard to follow them to show consideration? I feel like it's turning into the one way people feel they can safely protest COVID restrictions in a deep blue region. ;)
To me it didn't feel like rebellion so much as a being burnt out on following the rules and showing consideration for your fellow shoppers and the staff of the store. Like the courtesy of recognizing your are not alone or central to existence is just that hard.
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm Today they had Soft Soap refills! I was so excited that I bought two.

You!!!!! That was the one thing I have been shopping for in the last two weeks that I have not been able to find. I've been using a shower bar, when I much prefer any form of liquid into foam for hand soap. Nothing. Nowhere. Hoarder!!!!!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:59 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm Today they had Soft Soap refills! I was so excited that I bought two.
You!!!!! That was the one thing I have been shopping for in the last two weeks that I have not been able to find. I've been using a shower bar, when I much prefer any form of liquid into foam for hand soap. Nothing. Nowhere. Hoarder!!!!!!
I've been looking for Soft Soap refills since March. It's one of the only soaps that doesn't seemingly cause the skin on my hands to dry out and fall off, particularly in the winter. I'm not typically brand loyal, but Soft Soap is an exception and I'm down to my secret reserves. I am not amused.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm I've been looking for Soft Soap refills since March. It's one of the only soaps that doesn't seemingly cause the skin on my hands to dry out and fall off, particularly in the winter. I'm not typically brand loyal, but Soft Soap is an exception and I'm down to my secret reserves. I am not amused.
Dove Sensitive Skin bars work pretty good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am on the way back from our weekly trip now. A few observations:

People are panic-shopping. I wasn't expecting that. Whole sections of shelves were cleared off. People had carts packed full of pasta, mac & cheese, and so forth. It was packed, too. It wasn't as bad as March, but it was late April levels of stripped. And those same stores were perfectly normal one week ago. I can only assume that people are preparing in advance for a post-school lockdown.

The other thing I noticed (and have been noticing) is that prices in general have really gone up. Two years ago our weekly food budget for four people was $175. Six months ago it was $190. It spiked when the virus hit and we started having to make random substitutions. Over the past few weeks I've been trying to get it under control. But buying less stuff and cheaper crap (compared to the $190 six months ago) still won't get us under $225, and that's with lots of ramen and peanut butter.

Money has become a huge stressor lately, and this isn't helping.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm I've been looking for Soft Soap refills since March. It's one of the only soaps that doesn't seemingly cause the skin on my hands to dry out and fall off, particularly in the winter. I'm not typically brand loyal, but Soft Soap is an exception and I'm down to my secret reserves. I am not amused.
Don't be such a big heaving jessie; use a decent bar soap and you'll be fine. You can find some terrific triple-milled glycerin soap at Whole Foods sold under their store brand for only $2 or $3. It looks like this:

If you've ever used Musgo Real's glyce lime oil pre-shave soap, the Whole Foods glycerin soap makes for a superb cheaper alternative (which is how I typically use it).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:59 pm
I've been looking for Soft Soap refills since March. It's one of the only soaps that doesn't seemingly cause the skin on my hands to dry out and fall off, particularly in the winter. I'm not typically brand loyal, but Soft Soap is an exception and I'm down to my secret reserves. I am not amused.
There's a Dial liquid soap I've been buying for the last couple of months that isn't bad. I keep having to buy individual bottles of it, though, as they don't seem to sell big refill bottles. Still, it's surprisingly mild for something from Dial, which I typically associate with their harsh bath soap.

It's been months since the store had Soft Soap refill bottles (and last time it only made an appearance for one week). I did order a 6 pack of the individual bottles on Amazon a while ago to get us back on the Soft Soap, but those have run out. My wife was very excited to see me unpacking the big refill bottles. We go through a lot (especially with the kids).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:35 pm
LordMortis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm There was only one below the nose mask wearer, but following the arrows and social distancing and considerations for fellow shoppers is pretty much pre-Covid.
It's so frustrating to me. I don't think the one-way aisles really does much, but is it really that hard to follow them to show consideration? I feel like it's turning into the one way people feel they can safely protest COVID restrictions in a deep blue region. ;)
They've taken them out of the Tony's and Jewel that I go to. Presumably because the conflict wasn't worth it. 50% ignored them and the 50% that didn't were pissed at the other.

Also, the Jewel on Lincoln had a beer aisle with two one ways in and none out. You'd go in one side following the arrow and exit the other end against it.

The secret to this free escape room puzzle was to cut sideways behind an unmarked wine display and into another aisle. And then you had a 50/50 chance of emerging in compliance.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't even know where my closest whole foods is, but the LM bonus from that ingredient list is no Citric Acid, which is in everything. I'd give it a try, but I'm already happy with Dove Sensitive Skin bars which I don't have to go out of my way for. I'm pretty picky about all my toiletries and cleaning stuff because the wrong thing will send my skin in conniptions and/or destroy my ability to breath. I've become rainman about them excepting hand soap, which I tend to be OK with what's out there as long I rinse well. I guess my hand skin isn't as sensitive as my rest of me skin.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My Mariano's actually has them pretty logically arranged. They don't bother in the beer/liquor area, and the last aisle doesn't have them (which is fine because it's quite wide there in between the freezer case and the refrigerated case). They also don't bother with them in the pharmacy area.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 pm Don't be such a big heaving jessie; use a decent bar soap and you'll be fine. You can find some terrific triple-milled glycerin soap at Whole Foods sold under their store brand for only $2 or $3. It looks like this:
The nearest Whole Foods is like 45 minutes away, but luckily Jeff Bezos wants to help me via Pantry. I'm going to add a bar with my next order and add it to my emergency reserves. Thanks!

It's weird mainly because soap was never a "thing" for me. I used it; it works. But something happened in my early 40s where I suddenly noticed some soaps were savaging my hands. I am assuming it's just part of being old and drying out.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

For bar soap, we use Cal Ben soap - I'm glad I stocked up a while back (by accident, not by design), since it's out of stock now.

For liquid soap, it helps using foaming dispensers, since you only fill it 1/6 with the liquid soap (and the rest is water). So one big refill bottle lasts for months.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 pm Don't be such a big heaving jessie; use a decent bar soap and you'll be fine. You can find some terrific triple-milled glycerin soap at Whole Foods sold under their store brand for only $2 or $3. It looks like this:
The nearest Whole Foods is like 45 minutes away, but luckily Jeff Bezos wants to help me via Pantry. I'm going to add a bar with my next order and add it to my emergency reserves. Thanks!

It's weird mainly because soap was never a "thing" for me. I used it; it works. But something happened in my early 40s where I suddenly noticed some soaps were savaging my hands. I am assuming it's just part of being old and drying out.
Indeed. Thankfully, glycerin soap provides one of the most effective humectants around, which is why Musgo Real Glycerin Lime Oil Pre Shave Soap AKA MR GLO is so widely acclaimed for softening one's whiskers prior to shaving. If you've never tried it, you really ought to try face-washing with the glycerin soap you ordered just before shaving; you'll almost certainly enjoy a superior shave as a result. Needless to say, it also works wonderfully as a moisturizing cleanser.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've just been using regular bar soap. For a few weeks back in March/April, my hands were sore from all the scrubbing, but somehow I've acclimated to it and it doesn't bother my skin at all anymore.

I was able to pick up a 500mL bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol last month to use with paper towels in lieu of disinfectant wipes. The local pharmacy had a few in stock, with a 1 bottle per customer limit. I still haven't seen any alcohol gel hand sanitizer locally, but I was able to buy a 1L bottle on Amazon last week. Then on Friday, I received an email from Amazon telling me that it might be subject to a recall. I checked the Health Canada website, and it looks like it's OK. While one production lot of this brand was recalled, the lot number on the one I purchased doesn't match the recall information. I don't use a lot of hand sanitizer because I don't go out foraging all that often, so I still have a good half L left in a bottle I bought back in February. I use that to refill a little travel Purell bottle that I carry with me when I venture out into the plague-ridden wasteland.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 pm You can find some terrific triple-milled glycerin soap at Whole Foods sold under their store brand for only $2 or $3. It looks like this:
If somebody with delicate hands wants to make their own glycerin soap, I've got 1500 gallons of glycerin that they can have for free. :mrgreen:

Something I haven't seen since this whole shebang started is Knorr Sides Stroganoff
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Creamy Garlic Shells or nothing!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

End of and era: I finally used up the six pack of toilet paper I bought when the panic hit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:15 pm End of and era: I finally used up the six pack of toilet paper I bought when the panic hit.
What a shitty anecdote.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Indiana Shopping Report, Fall Edition

Indiana's COVID #s haven't dropped, but Wal-Mart seems to think it's over. When I went in today, they'd removed almost all of the safety elements. One way aisles were gone. Door counters were gone. Social distancing markers on the floor at the cashier were gone. The only thing left was the 'sneeze guards' in front of the cashiers. Now, most of that is just safety theater (the distance markers were probably the only useful thing), but removing it sends the message that it's no longer necessary to be careful. And sure enough, there were about four times as many (masks under noses) mouth-breathers as usual, and that includes employees. There were people who had clearly removed their masks, including one who seemed to be doing his best to spasmodically exhale his lungs. The people at the cashiers were lined up as close as they could get.

And then, as I was leaving, the greeter/cart wiper wanted to see my receipt. There were no electronics, just food and such. But this guy, who is in the front of the store and likely gets exposed to more customers up close than any other employee, customers who have yet to put their masks on, and who handles everybody's used carts, had been instructed by management to stop me and paw through my groceries.

"Hi!", said he. "Can I see your receipt?"

"See?" I said, waving it in the air I was walked, without stopping, out the door.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 pm Indiana Shopping Report, Fall Edition

And sure enough, there were about four times as many (masks under noses) mouth-breathers as usual, and that includes employees.
Sadly, this is probably the one time they are not mouth-breathing.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just at the local store. This isn't the store I normally shop at, but it's the only real local option and I needed an item. When I got to the cashier, I counted nine people. Two were wearing masks correctly. Four had masks under their nose. Two had masks completely under their chins. One guy was walking past everyone twirling his mask on his finger and smirking. Indiana's cases are spiking, we're fully opened, and the Governor, just today, stated that he didn't need to reinstate restrictions because he trusted people to just wear masks and solve the problem themselves.

That guy twirling the mask walking on past me, which took a lot of self control on my part not to permanently embed the mask into his face.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Things I couldn't buy last week: whole-wheat tortillas and wax paper. I made do with flour tortillas, but nothing substitutes for wax paper. This pandemic is hell.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will parchment paper not fill the gap?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 am Things I couldn't buy last week: whole-wheat tortillas and wax paper. I made do with flour tortillas, but nothing substitutes for wax paper. This pandemic is hell.
If you're having trouble buying it locally, you could always buy it on Amazon instead.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:08 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 am Things I couldn't buy last week: whole-wheat tortillas and wax paper. I made do with flour tortillas, but nothing substitutes for wax paper. This pandemic is hell.
If you're having trouble buying it locally, you could always buy it on Amazon instead.
I haven't checked the other supermarket that's near me yet. My #1 market has been reorganizing for the past couple of weeks, and I suspect that stock-outs have something to do with that disruption.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stocking news update:
A surge of new coronavirus cases in the U.S. is sending people back to stores to stockpile again, leaving shelves bare and forcing retailers to put limits on purchases.

Walmart said Tuesday it's having trouble keeping up with demand for cleaning supplies in some stores. Supermarket chains Kroger and Publix are limiting how much toilet paper and paper towels shoppers can buy after demand spiked recently. And Amazon is sold out of most disinfectant wipes and paper towels.
Don't panic. Prepare.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've been...accumulating...not hoarding TP and paper towels and Clorox wipes all summer. I've got the good TP and then the prison-grade TP I bought during the last shortage. So much TP in the spare bedroom...

I should have bought a still though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:29 pmI should have bought a still though.
Figure out something soon. Everyone should have a hobby to carry them until March.

I'm not hoarding either, but I am prepared to endure. Precious gasoline is about the only thing I'd run out of (to power generators) and in a pinch I'd Mad Max it out of my cars. I have jugs but at some point you really do question how much gasoline is too much?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Last couple of times to the store eggs have been in short supply and oddly enough certain brands of dog food.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm Stocking news update:
A surge of new coronavirus cases in the U.S. is sending people back to stores to stockpile again, leaving shelves bare and forcing retailers to put limits on purchases.

Walmart said Tuesday it's having trouble keeping up with demand for cleaning supplies in some stores. Supermarket chains Kroger and Publix are limiting how much toilet paper and paper towels shoppers can buy after demand spiked recently. And Amazon is sold out of most disinfectant wipes and paper towels.
Don't panic. Prepare.
And prepare wisely. Fighting crowds to fill a cabinet with disinfectant wipes and paper towels isn't a good use of resources.

Bleach and a few kitchen towels works fine.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm Stocking news update:

Don't panic. Prepare.
What mystifies me is why people didn't stay stocked after they saw what happened in the spring and saw that it wasn't over.

Speaking of which, I do need to go through my supplies from March/April and double-check expiration dates.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:40 pm And prepare wisely. Fighting crowds to fill a cabinet with disinfectant wipes and paper towels isn't a good use of resources.

Bleach and a few kitchen towels works fine.
No kidding. I was amazed at how many people emptied the perishable shelf items in a panic last spring while the raw ingredients with a shelf life measured in years stayed untouched.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm Last couple of times to the store eggs have been in short supply and oddly enough certain brands of dog food.
YOU MEAN I CAN'T MAKE MY SPECIAL ALPO CORNED BEEF HASH!?!?!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm Last couple of times to the store eggs have been in short supply and oddly enough certain brands of dog food.
I just bought 20 pounds of potatoes, 3 dozen eggs, 4 pounds of rice, and 20 sausage, egg, and cheese croissants from Aldi last night. I forgot to get beans but this will keep me going for two months if it needs to. At least until I get desperate for cheese. Really the only reason I did this was because I never restocked the sundries pretty much fully depleted that I used to keep in overstock from sales. If I didn't do this I'd have nothing if/when the lockdown goes into full effect again. Also, just because I can leave the house in this nightmare doesn't mean I want to leave the house.

Mom also said, she plans to do Thanksgiving delivery service this year. :wub: :wub: :wub: Hopefully, I'm the last stop and she still has a ton of turkey, stuffing, gravy, ham, home made rolls, and pumpkin pie. I'll get to talk while she's not in trying to rush and feast for days.

I've never felt the hurt on TP. I did feel the hurt for paper towels until I was let in the office and given permission to buy a few rolls to hold me over in... May? June? It all blends together.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Most canned stuff is good a year past the date at the least. Some acidic stuff stays good a LOOoooong time. Like I am using some vinegar that is best by 2012 and its fine. Also had some old tabasco and A1 due dates 2016 and both are fine....and been opened all this time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"