Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Blackhawk »

Two different stores today. I'd say the 30% mask rate has been holding after a dip last week. And I'd say probably 70% of the people were going the right way, although a meaningful portion of that was more coincidence than compliance. Hell, the attitude around here pretty much guarantees that some people would go out of their way to not go the right direction.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 pm I'd say probably 70% of the people were going the right way, although a meaningful portion of that was more coincidence than compliance. Hell, the attitude around here pretty much guarantees that some people would go out of their way to not go the right direction.
I find the directional arrows to be kind of stupid. So if I walk past what I was looking for am I supposed to do a lap in order to get back to it? Seems like it's going to make me have to stay in the store longer. The other day the stocking guy was like "you're entering the aisle from the wrong end", I was "yeah, but your stocking pallet is blocking entry from the other end". This was like an eight foot long aisle in the pharmacy section. LOL The guy was in the aisle at the other end when I went down the next aisle to get to the end he had moved down to in the meantime. LOL
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't like the one-way aisles, either, and wonder if they add any safety. I like to load up on heavy, bulky beverages first, which takes me against their preferred grain. To comply, I have to make a circuit halfway around the store, and then do it again to get back to produce. I do it because I want to cooperate, but I'm not convinced that it's making anybody safer. Really, I think those markings are mainly meant for the corporate shoppers (the ones filling delivery orders).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There has to be some common sense in how you follow that particular system. The idea is to reduce people passing by each other closely, but eliminating it is beyond the scope of floor arrows. Sometimes you have to take a few steps back. Sometimes you have to stand still to look and/or read and people will need to pass you.

Hell, if I need something twenty feet in an aisle I'm on the wrong side of and the aisle is completely empty of other shoppers, I think nothing of going in and getting it. The system has a purpose. Common sense makes it a doable.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read a solid scientific piece about how transmissibility is mainly a function of air volume/flow + time. It was too complex for me to summarize off the top of my head, so I'll link it if I find it again. The relevant part is that grocery stores are one of the safer places for shoppers who will only be there for an hour or so because the volume of air is so great. (Transmission via surfaces is a different story, but it's a minor consideration compared to airborne droplets.)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm I read a solid scientific piece about how transmissibility is mainly a function of air volume/flow + time. It was too complex for me to summarize off the top of my head, so I'll link it if I find it again. The relevant part is that grocery stores are one of the safer places for shoppers who will only be there for an hour or so because the volume of air is so great. (Transmission via surfaces is a different story, but it's a minor consideration compared to airborne droplets.)
I fear the tiny mail room in my mother's condo complex before all others. :idea: I'm thinking of putting a note into the suggestion box asking them to install an exhaust fan instead of a ceiling fan.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:59 am
Kraken wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm I read a solid scientific piece about how transmissibility is mainly a function of air volume/flow + time. It was too complex for me to summarize off the top of my head, so I'll link it if I find it again. The relevant part is that grocery stores are one of the safer places for shoppers who will only be there for an hour or so because the volume of air is so great. (Transmission via surfaces is a different story, but it's a minor consideration compared to airborne droplets.)
I fear the tiny mail room in my mother's condo complex before all others. :idea: I'm thinking of putting a note into the suggestion box asking them to install an exhaust fan instead of a ceiling fan.
If you are only there for a matter of minutes, it's low risk despite being cramped. I wish I could find the article that I mentioned, but you know how ephemeral facebook is. Once you read something, they might never show it to you again.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 am
em2nought wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:59 am
If you are only there for a matter of minutes, it's low risk despite being cramped. I wish I could find the article that I mentioned, but you know how ephemeral facebook is. Once you read something, they might never show it to you again.
Found it! It's some dude's blog, but his credentials are solid enough to make it worth reading.
Remember the formula: Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time

When assessing the risk of infection (via respiration) at the grocery store or mall, you need to consider the volume of the air space (very large), the number of people (restricted), how long people are spending in the store (workers - all day; customers - an hour). Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low. But, for the store worker, the extended time they spend in the store provides a greater opportunity to receive the infectious dose and therefore the job becomes more risky.

Basically, as the work closures are loosened, and we start to venture out more, possibly even resuming in-office activities, you need to look at your environment and make judgments. How many people are here, how much airflow is there around me, and how long will I be in this environment. If you are in an open floorplan office, you really need to critically assess the risk (volume, people, and airflow). If you are in a job that requires face-to-face talking or even worse, yelling, you need to assess the risk.

If you are sitting in a well ventilated space, with few people, the risk is low.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I read that a couple of hours ago, and I felt really reassured about the risks from shopping trips. I may try to speed up my trips to lessen my exposure time, though. It can easily take 1.5 hours to get everything we need for a week.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, me too, that's why I shared it. I had considered grocery shopping to be the riskiest thing I do. It still is -- my packy runs are much quicker, and the store that I shop is large and uncrowded -- but the grocer isn't as risky as I had thought. Getting takeout is very quick and involves almost no contact.

Maybe I'll go back to making shorter, weekly grocery trips again. Four 1-hr trips are about the same as two 2-hr trips.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That is reassuring, however I'd still like to see them implement something like a huge whole house attic fan in those stores where they suck all the bad air out a couple times a day, call the afternoon suction siesta hour. :mrgreen: They really need to make long carports outside if they're going to be making people stand in line out there occasionally.

I even put on the mask when I pull up to the drawer/window or the money shuttle(what is the proper term for those things?) at the bank just because of the large number of people who have occupied that same exact spot now that the lines are eight cars deep to get to the one open branch in town.

I'm filtering my office with Home Depot FPR10 which supposedly takes care of dust/lint, airborne dust mite debris, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, bacteria, microscopic allergens, virus carriers, odor, most smoke, and finally smog particles. I should probably install an exhaust fan in my office as well. I'd guess I get about forty people a month in my office for about five to fifteen minutes each. I wear my mask, I really need to put one of those plexiglass shields up too I guess.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Damn it, wife gave me permission for a mid-week stop at the supermarket, but I forgot to look for linguini! :grund: I'll save it for next week I guess, maybe make some lobster mac and cheese instead.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So with parks not an option this summer, my wife was looking for ways to provide more activity for the kids in our yard, besides their play set and if weather ever permits, a wading pool. She (with enthusiastic support from the kids) came up with trampoline. After explaining to her that the 3' diameter one selling for $70 at Kohls likely isn't what the kids have in mind, we agreed on a 13' diameter one I found on the Menards website. Then I tried ordering it. No dice. Not available to be shipped, although there was apparently some in stock at random towns I never heard of in Minnesota. Tried Amazon -- even the ones in stock say it won't be shipped until August. :shock: Dick's, Blaines, even Meijer...nope, nope, nope.

Which one of you bastards is hording goddamn trampolines? :think:
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have them all in my backyard, Hundreds of little Yorkies are all bouncing on them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Boeing boeing boeing boeing
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm So with parks not an option this summer, my wife was looking for ways to provide more activity for the kids in our yard, besides their play set and if weather ever permits, a wading pool. She (with enthusiastic support from the kids) came up with trampoline. After explaining to her that the 3' diameter one selling for $70 at Kohls likely isn't what the kids have in mind, we agreed on a 13' diameter one I found on the Menards website. Then I tried ordering it. No dice. Not available to be shipped, although there was apparently some in stock at random towns I never heard of in Minnesota. Tried Amazon -- even the ones in stock say it won't be shipped until August. :shock: Dick's, Blaines, even Meijer...nope, nope, nope.

Which one of you bastards is hording goddamn trampolines? :think:
Alas, your trouble & strife was slow off the mark...

Swing sets and trampolines in short supply as stay-at-home morphs into play-at-home during the pandemic
ChicagoTribune.com wrote:When Illinois hit the one-month mark of the stay-at-home order last month, Chicago attorney David Barrett did something he never would have dreamed of before COVID-19 — he bought a backyard trampoline.

Living 24/7 in a Glencoe house with his wife and three “spirited” children under age 10 changed his perspective.

“We were desperate for anything to take a couple hours of the day and keep our kids safely entertained,” said Barrett, 37.

While Barrett and his wife have spent each day working at makeshift offices on opposite ends of a hallway, their children have been bouncing off the walls of their north suburban home.

On Tuesday afternoon, salvation arrived in the back of a white van, as a two-man crew expertly assembled a 10-by-17-foot trampoline in Barrett’s backyard, tucked in by a fence and a blossoming pear tree, while the family watched from a safe perch on a raised deck above.

“I wouldn’t peg us as trampoline people, necessarily — I don’t think we were four months ago — but we have three kids ages 9, 7, 5, and without a lot of avenues, we’re going to need to double down on home entertainment,” Barrett said.

The Barretts may be social distancing, but they are far from alone. Orders for swing sets, pools and trampolines are through the roof, as stay-at-home morphs into play-at-home for increasingly restless families.

But with supply chain disruptions and a massive surge in demand, outdoor recreational equipment may be as scarce as toilet paper.

“You can’t find a trampoline anywhere,” said Lindsey Wells, 39, vice president of Fenceworks, the Northbrook-based company that sold its last trampoline in stock to Barrett. “It’s crazy.”

It has been one of the busiest, and most unusual seasons in the 53-year history of Fenceworks, perhaps better known as “The Guy on 41.” The family-owned business earned that sobriquet at its former Highland Park location, where its basketball hoops, trampolines and playground equipment lined U.S. Highway 41 for decades.

The showroom, which moved to Northbrook three years ago, was packed in mid-March as the coronavirus pandemic hit home in Illinois, Wells said, with customers trying to stay ahead of anticipated shutdowns.

Fenceworks closed its showroom after Illinois enacted a stay-at-home order March 21, temporarily restricting nonessential businesses in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19. But that didn’t slow sales, Wells said, with phone orders picking up the slack.

“It’s up exponentially,” Wells said. “People realized that the playgrounds are closed, that their kids are out of school and they need to get them active and outside.”

Such recreation is not cheap, with wood play sets averaging between $2,500 to $3,000, and vinyl sets running about $5,000 to $5,500, Wells said. A bigger obstacle right now, however, is simply finding them.

Swing Kingdom, the Pennsylvania manufacturer of the vinyl sets, was closed by the COVID-19 pandemic until May 1. The PlayNation wooden swing sets are made in China, where the virus also disrupted the supply chain. Customers put 50% down and must wait until June or July for the sets to arrive.

New buyers — and there are still plenty, Wells said — can reserve trampolines, which run $1,600 to $2,600, with a $100 refundable deposit. But they will have to wait until July or August for delivery.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pretty funny.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We had a trampoline when the kids were small. The second week my youngest ended up with a concussion from it. The nurse at the clinic said they had more injuries from trampolines that any other cause. Although both my daughters broke bones using inline skates.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:46 pm We had a trampoline when the kids were small. The second week my youngest ended up with a concussion from it. The nurse at the clinic said they had more injuries from trampolines that any other cause. Although both my daughters broke bones using inline skates.
Yeah, my first thought about all those trampolines sold out was, "will the ERs be able to handle it?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

One of my daughters had the idea that we could put together some puzzles, so she looked online only to find out that even online they were sold out.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:50 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:46 pm We had a trampoline when the kids were small. The second week my youngest ended up with a concussion from it. The nurse at the clinic said they had more injuries from trampolines that any other cause. Although both my daughters broke bones using inline skates.
Yeah, my first thought about all those trampolines sold out was, "will the ERs be able to handle it?"
Just more fall out, or is that "off"? :think:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scuzz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:04 pm One of my daughters had the idea that we could put together some puzzles, so she looked online only to find out that even online they were sold out.
Luckily we have a stash. At the office we had an open table for ad hoc gatherings that one of the admins designated the puzzle table. As one of the puzzle folks, I supplied several of them and brought them home when they were done.

In quarantine, my 10yo has progressed from 200 piece to 500 piece to 1000 piece puzzles that we had on a shelf. Of course he has had some help from daddy. I use the desk in his room for meetings that require some level of privacy and I generally work on whatever puzzle is there if I am not too engaged on the call.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Was that on a trampoline with an enclosure?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Red State Shopping Report, 5/26.

I have no clue how stupid people were being. After the past couple of weeks, I actively avoided paying too much attention to them. I figure that looking too closely or thinking too much about them would lead to jail time.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue May 26, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:19 pm
Was that on a trampoline with an enclosure?
No, this was just before those became more the norm.

My kids eventually got bored with it and it became a favorite place for my black lab to lay on.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:04 pm One of my daughters had the idea that we could put together some puzzles, so she looked online only to find out that even online they were sold out.
Luckily we have a stash. At the office we had an open table for ad hoc gatherings that one of the admins designated the puzzle table. As one of the puzzle folks, I supplied several of them and brought them home when they were done.

In quarantine, my 10yo has progressed from 200 piece to 500 piece to 1000 piece puzzles that we had on a shelf. Of course he has had some help from daddy. I use the desk in his room for meetings that require some level of privacy and I generally work on whatever puzzle is there if I am not too engaged on the call.
We were going to do the puzzle table thing, I remember my grandparents doing that when I was young.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Another grocery run, this time I got everything except yeast, which Wife tells me is selling for $9 on amazon. I had to buy organic rice, but at least they had something other than jasmine.

Just wondering, now that the doors of commerce are swinging open, if y'all are still hoarding supplies or drawing them down now. I'm not building stocks anymore, but I am replacing things as I use them because I'm afraid that if the covid resurges, the supply chains that have been wobbling are going to snap. I'm not confident that we won't still need our emergency rations in the near future.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never have stocked anything since the pandemic. I've had like a 2-3 week supply I've kept all along for emergencies and I still keep it up. TP has never been part of that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Toilet paper seems to be loosening up, while meat seems to be tightening.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 pm Toilet paper seems to be loosening up, while meat seems to be tightening.
I was able not only to buy TP today, but my preferred brand (albeit with a limit of 2). That doesn't indicate abundance; Angel Farts just happened to be one of 3-4 choices. One of the others was rolls individually wrapped in paper, shrink-wrapped into multipacks. I didn't notice the brand name, only "Institutional Bathroom Tissue." The institutional supply chain finally got a toehold in retail...just a little too late, since standard packages are finally reappearing and being "institutional" is hardly a competitive edge. I will confess that I'm acquiring a modest stockpile against the next shock.

I seldom buy meat, but the cases looked full to me. Oh: and the fish counter was open again. I've missed fish.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't go into the stash - I continue to buy what I need for the following week, giving me a few weeks in reserve.

Regarding yeast, I haven't seen any since this all started, and I've heard it's pretty scarce. I really only use it for pizza dough, so homemade pizza will just have to wait a while.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did put back a supply of extra 'stuff.' This wasn't on the assumption that it would become unavailable, but for the eventuality that we actually got sick. If so, we wouldn't be shopping, online shopping isn't practical out here, and we have nobody to go to the store for us. The stored supplies are to allow us to quarantine ourselves for a few weeks without having to worry about how to get food (and TP.)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Yea, if that second wave does come I would expect the hoarding to start up again. But I do think the stores would be better prepared this time.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't done groceries since just after Easter. Until the last weekend, I figured when I start up, I wasn't going to go hog wild again. Last weekend might have changed my tune. I see that second wave coming. I found that I"ve taken a liking to canned refried bean on white rice which holds for a long long long time. I can see me stocking up.

Also I might be down to a month's supply of TP, I may need to keep an eye out for the first time. It looks in the before times, I used to deep sale shop to and keep was about a five to six month supply of TP as a matter of undocumented policy, suggesting I only TP twice a year. I never tracked it but that sounds right.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm I don't go into the stash - I continue to buy what I need for the following week, giving me a few weeks in reserve.

Regarding yeast, I haven't seen any since this all started, and I've heard it's pretty scarce. I really only use it for pizza dough, so homemade pizza will just have to wait a while.
Or stratch it a bit per King Arthur flour

Worth a shot.

I have a buch of SAF instant in the freezer, but have not been baking lately. I want to, but I'm the only one that eats anything I bake.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm Regarding yeast, I haven't seen any since this all started, and I've heard it's pretty scarce. I really only use it for pizza dough, so homemade pizza will just have to wait a while.
FWIW, it's not that difficult to grow homemade yeast with three simple ingredients. This Twitter thread from a yeast geneticist and biological engineer walks you through the process:
Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
Friends, I learned last night over Zoom drinks that ya'll're baking so much that there's a shortage of yeast?! I, your local frumpy yeast geneticist have come here to tell you this: THERE IS NEVER A SHORTAGE OF YEAST. Here's where I'm a viking. Instructions below.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
Scour your kitchen for any dried fruit: grapes, raisins, prunes, apricots. Fresh fruit works too, but it's best to leave it unwashed, and given our current situation this is probably not a wise thing to do unless you've grown the fruit yourself and trust it.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
Take your fruit (or, if using fresh fruit skins--please use your judgment), pop it into a jar, and add a little bit of water to it. 2 or 3 tablespoons (30-40 mL) is more than enough. If you stir the fruit around, you'll notice the water gets slightly cloudy. That's the yeast!

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
You're well on your way. Add an equal mass of flour to this mixture. If you don't have a scale add enough flour to make a loose, wet dough. DON'T GET FANCY: old flour is fine. White flour is perfect (it's what I prefer). Doesn't have to be organic, doesn't have to be high gluten.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
And then you wait. You'll want to keep this warm (but not hot). Hug it while you binge Netflix. Cuddle it while you yearn for human touch once again. Or put it on the counter while your dishwasher is running. Do it right and after 12 hours you'll see bubbles. These will grow.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
YOUR YEAST ARE MAKING THOSE BUBBLES. Once the flour paste loosens up (24? 48 hours?), take a tiny bit of the fruit/flour/water mix, and add it to 30-40mL of water, add flour, and repeat. This time, it should come to life and those bubble should pop up much quicker.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
It's closest I've come to witnessing spontaneous generation; it always feels like there's a bit of magic around whenever it works. And if it doesn't work the first time: 1) be patient and 2) try it with something different.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
Don't be afraid to get creative. Try it with some old bread you have lying around. Or bread crumbs. There are old stories of Parisian boulangeries selling baguettes that were more old bread than flour to cut costs and stay afloat.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
Just finish a lovely Belgian ale or were you drinking a bottle of wine with dregs at the bottom? Add it to some flour and water and see what pops up! Keep in mind, you'll be cutting your starter back quite frequently, so the original flavors won't be there when you finally bake.

Sudeep Agarwala
@shoelaces3
Mar 29
What *will* be there are yeasts from different sources that are ready to bring your bread to life! That's another thread for another time. Just remember: yeast is everywhere! Also: please wash your hands and stay away from other people. <3, your local frumpy yeast geneticist.
Keep in mind, you'll likely get better results by using distilled water vs. regular tap water (the chlorine/chloramines found in tap water may kill yeast).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I admit, I hoarded some yeast. I thought I'd be making more bread-type things from scratch and then I couldn't find yeast when I shopped for it. At some point, I did find some and bought a bunch. I might make pizza in the next week or so, but I've not used any of it like I thought I would.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I make a decent amount of bread so I usually have a stash. Down to maybe 8 packs of yeast. I'll probably just run those out and if I see more in the store I'll get it. If not, no homemade bread. I used to buy jars but it was just a bit too much and it would be weak by the time I got to the bottom.

Also have to restock on ammo. Sold out everywhere again. Will have to pay panic pricing or F5 sites for new stock.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's been about a month and a half since my last grocery shop. I'm past due to go out and I don't wanna. I stayed up too late watch backyards burn and police essentially enforce martial law to stop it. I don't want to leave the house. Between COVID and the fractures in our society, this is just too much for me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

San Francisco and LA have instituted night curfew trying to cut down on violence... apparently some anarchists are out looting for kicks using the protests as an excuse. Good thing I don't go out in the afternoon, much less at night.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds