No
6%
Sometimes
10%

Total votes: 50

em2nought

Do you get a flu shot?

Post by em2nought »

We're all worried about COVID-19 with 13,000 some deaths worldwide currently. 10,000 people have died in the USA during this flu season so far. Do you get a yearly flu shot, or worry about transmitting the flu to someone else at all?
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Blackhawk

Re: Do you get a flu shot?

Post by Blackhawk »

No. I'm afraid of catching the autism.
Spoiler:
I always get it. Besides, I'm already autistic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Also got a pneumonia shot. Not sure how that works.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I get a flu shot ASAP, as I prefer having some degree of protection against the flu than none whatsoever. Because the last time I caught the flu around ten years ago, I felt absolutely dreadful. So I resolved to always get a flu shot from that point forward.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 am Also got a pneumonia shot. Not sure how that works.
It lowers your chances of catching bacterial pneumonia or, if you do get it, it means you'd probably have a much milder case. But it's typically only of real concern for those with a weakened immune system and/or in the 65-plus age bracket.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always. I used to get them in the 90s. Then I didn't for 10 years. Then started again about 10 years ago and have gotten them since.Last time I had the flu was mid 90s. Its why I started taking them the first time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A couple of weeks ago I took my wife to the doctor and asked to give her a flu shot. They were out and weren't expecting anymore shots.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 am Also got a pneumonia shot. Not sure how that works.
I believe it’s called ‘Up Selling‘
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've never had one, the wife and kids always get one (wife is required for work). The last couple of years I have meant to but haven't gotten around to it. I would have to walk to a different building!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I didn't but I will next year.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I got the flu about 15 years ago and it was BAD! I was out of work and in bed miserable for a week. Gotten the Flu shot ever since. May have had the flu since but no where near as bad.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I always do, got mine back in September while at my doctor. Took the kids to a clinic in November (CVS refuses to do children it seems); they were given coloring pages and markers to keep them busy while they were setting up for them, then the shots were non-events as far as the kids went, not a peep out of either of them. Then they were gifted some beanie babies, all in all a good experience.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 am I get a flu shot ASAP,
Current guidance is to wait until Halloween to get your flu shot so that it still covers late-season occurrences. IIRC the shot's major effectiveness lasts about 6 months, so if you get yours in August/September (which I always had in years past) then it runs out of oomph for late winter months.

I've been a flu shot devotee for the past 15 years and get a pneumonia shot every other year. I'm in the high risk group for both of these *and* I believe in science, so no messing around here.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The Meal wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 am I get a flu shot ASAP,
Current guidance is to wait until Halloween to get your flu shot so that it still covers late-season occurrences. IIRC the shot's major effectiveness lasts about 6 months, so if you get yours in August/September (which I always had in years past) then it runs out of oomph for late winter months.

I've been a flu shot devotee for the past 15 years and get a pneumonia shot every other year. I'm in the high risk group for both of these *and* I believe in science, so no messing around here.
Yeah, October is typically when the flu vaccine arrives at my PCP, so I usually don't have it done any earlier than that. Dunno if I can credit it entirely to the vaccine, but it's been at least ten years since I last had to cope with full-blown influenza.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
MHS

Post by MHS »

Yep, that and pneumonia are foisted on me whether I want them or not (which I do, being a believer in science) at one of my kidney visits.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Flu shots are mandatory at my job.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I pretty much never get a flu shot. I forget about it and next thing I know the time the get the shot has passed. They need to make it more convenient. I always have to put gas in my car so I always stop at a gas station. If it was offered there I'd probably get it. Also, almost every year they announce that the shot is only helpful against such and such strain which isn't the strain most prevalent this year. Also, I very rarely get the flu, so while yes it's horrible it's also so rare that I don't care about it. Make it so that I can't go anywhere without someone offering me the shot and I will get it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am
And very effective, seeing how the shots were free.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:13 pm I pretty much never get a flu shot. I forget about it and next thing I know the time the get the shot has passed. They need to make it more convenient. I always have to put gas in my car so I always stop at a gas station. If it was offered there I'd probably get it. Also, almost every year they announce that the shot is only helpful against such and such strain which isn't the strain most prevalent this year. Also, I very rarely get the flu, so while yes it's horrible it's also so rare that I don't care about it. Make it so that I can't go anywhere without someone offering me the shot and I will get it.
Flu shots are easily available at tons of pharmacies, including many pharmacies inside of grocery stores. You'll need to come up with a better excuse for next year.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I’ve heard the flu can have COVID-like symptoms, so yeah, definitely getting a flu shot every year.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Whoever answers, "No... I never get sick!" I'm going to imagine punching very hard. (With love... to educate you.)

I'm stunned at the number of people who still use flu as a synonym for "a cold". "I just have a touch of the flu", they say. No. If you're not lucky enough to repel it, the flu will lay your ass out and you're risking the lives of every senior and immunocompromised individual within six degrees of separation.

Those who willfully dodge the shot are only increments less horrendous than nazis and Yankees fans.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:26 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am
And very effective, seeing how the shots were free.
The best kind, by a long shot
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just wondering if the covid pandemic has changed minds either way about flu shots. Will you get one this year?

Me, I always do and will again. I'll wait until October, though, for the reason the Meal gave above.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yes. I plan on getting one.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I remember the last time I got the real flu, about five years ago. I was quite sick for only about three days, but it totally wiped out my energy level for about 3 months.

So, yes, I'll be getting a flu shot during the 1st week of October. One of the colleges I teach for is having a clinic and I already have my appointment made.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Are there any stats on flu deaths last year?

I would assume that COVID mitigation also did a lot to limit the regular old flu, so those efforts deserve even more credit than they get for saving lives.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll get mine around Oct time frame. I usually get it when I have my physical at the start of Sept but doc told me it was recommended this year to wait until Oct.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 am Are there any stats on flu deaths last year?

I would assume that COVID mitigation also did a lot to limit the regular old flu, so those efforts deserve even more credit than they get for saving lives.
2020-2021 Flu Season Summary
Flu activity was unusually low throughout the 2020-2021 flu season both in the United States and globally, despite high levels of testing. During September 28, 2020–May 22, 2021 in the United States, 1,675 (0.2%) of 818,939 respiratory specimens tested by U.S. clinical laboratories were positive for an influenza virus. The low level of flu activity during this past season contributed to dramatically fewer flu illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths compared with previous flu seasons. For comparison, during the last three seasons before the pandemic, the proportion of respiratory specimens testing positive for influenza peaked between 26.2% and 30.3%. In terms of hospitalizations, the cumulative rate of laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations in the 2020-2021 season was the lowest recorded since this type of data collection began in 2005. For pediatric deaths, CDC received one report of a pediatric flu death in a child during the 2020–2021 flu season. Since flu deaths in children became nationally notifiable in 2004, reported flu deaths in children had previously ranged from a low of 37 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 199 (during 2019-2020).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All I can say is ditto to last year.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's hard to say how this flu season will go. Maybe it'll be another mild one because many of us are still taking covid protection measures, especially masking and distancing, and there's not a large reservoir of circulating virus due to last year's anemic season. OTOH, missing out on a year of exposure might have made our collective immune system lazy, and of course the kiddies are back in school. Could go either way. That's why I was curious whether people are more likely or less likely to get vaccinated this year. Sounds like our tiny sample hasn't changed much.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I get it if its easy enough. (i.e. They're given out at work.) Otherwise, I don't usually bother. I don't have any kind of ideological objection, it's just not very high on my list of concerns.

That will probably change as I get older.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We'll probably get it on a Costco shopping trip at some point in the next few weeks. Of course, the irony is that in the past I wouldn't get the flu shot and catch the flu from my coworkers in the office. Now that I work from home, I'm as unlikely as ever to be around anyone who's sick.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jewell gives a 20% discount so I'll probably go there again. Daughter has preschool physical next week and I'll get her done then.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My asthma/allergy doctor suggested this year's flu shot may be extra ineffective (it's about 50% effective on the typical year—he was suggesting about 15-20% efficacy may be the correct target this year). The issue is that last year's flu was down 99% from typical years and without much in the way of an outbreak in the southern hemisphere's winter, they're really reaching (extra) blindly for which variants to protect against in this year's cocktail.

He also recommended I get the flu shot again this year. I asked about appropriate timing and he said the worst of the flu months are Nov - Mar, so with a 6-month most-effective window in the vaccine, it's really up to the recipient for what would make the most sense. Late October is considered too late (so much for the closer-to-Halloween guidance). Get it when its most convenient before that time frame is what I'm reading from online professionals.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
JCC

Post by JCC »

I would expect little to no flu again this Fall/Winter. My pediatrician friend had a huge spike of the flu with his patients in the Spring when we weren't wearing masks.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The Meal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 pm My asthma/allergy doctor suggested this year's flu shot may be extra ineffective
Oh well, at least I got my turkey from Winn Dixie out of it. :mrgreen:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My supermarket with the best offer give a 20% off coupon for up to $200 in purchases. Suck it, CVS/Target ($5 gift card).

The stores don't do kids though, so I had to get theirs done at their medical group. At least that ensures the record remains on their charts.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Going in tomorrow for my shot and a plague booster.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:05 am The stores don't do kids though, so I had to get theirs done at their medical group. At least that ensures the record remains on their charts.
They should if you ask your pediatrician to send them an Rx. Just learned that this past week when I called our ped. office, and mentioned that the pharmacies won’t vaccinate kids. Nurse said if we just call them they’ll call/send over the Rx to whatever place I am immediately.

Also, here at least, if you get a vaccine at CVS, Wallyworld, the gas station, or wherever it goes on a state record that can be accessed from doctors’ offices, pharmacies and hospitals.

I was surprised when I got my flu shot at Publix last year and they handed me a card with a menu of vaccines/boosters that I was overdue for.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hmm...my kids patient portals has a place to submit vaccines and other treatments received out of network. I just took what the pharmacist said at face value.
Black Lives Matter