[AMC] Dispatches from Elsewhere

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[AMC] Dispatches from Elsewhere

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone else been watching?

I'm finally caught up and I'm a bit surprised it's not getting more buzz. I guess with everything else going on that shouldn't be too surprising, but it's been (so far) a really enjoyable character-driven drama.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Re: [AMC] Dispatches from Elsewhere

Post by Malificent »

I am watching it and loving it. I saw someone describe it as if Pushing Daisies and Sense 8 had a love child. I don't know if that's quite right, but I like the optimism and the strangeness of the characters - Peter's amazing simplicity and literalness never fails to amaze me. I look forward each week to seeing where they are going with it, but unlike a lot of mystery box shows, it's really about the journey and not the destination for me.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'll check this out. Shows involving quirky or weird characters are already half way to being enjoyable to me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am a HUGE fan of Lodge 49 for that reason - the characters and overall story weirdness. This is kinda similar - weird/surreal story elements and how the characters connect.

I also have no idea where it's all going, but it's something I will absolutely continue to watch.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FWIW it's essentially a remake of a documentary, The Institute:
IMDB wrote:Enlarge Image

Feature-length documentary that examines a San Francisco-based Alternate Reality Game, where thousands of participants got more than they bargained for. Told from the players' perspectives, the film looks over the precipice at an emergent new art form where the real world and fiction narratives merge to create unforeseen and often unsettling consequences.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Please watch this show. It continues to be an uplifting weekly distraction with well-written characters and a great message. Last night's episode (and Peter's repeated concussive events) was so damn enjoyable. Despite just learning Lodge 49 was officially cancelled back in October, this show has filled that void (for now). I expect it to be a one-season experiment, but it's still damn good.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I will, I will watch it! :lol:

It's going on the TiVo to wait until I can give it the attention it deserves. It MUST be a good binge show, eh? That's really how I prefer to watch, all shows available and then just pound through 'em.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. Didn't see that ending coming at all. In case anyone wants to read up after you're done with the season. Enjoyed the whole ride; found it to be uplifting and perhaps helpful right now. Would recommend.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:24 pm I will, I will watch it! :lol:

It's going on the TiVo to wait until I can give it the attention it deserves. It MUST be a good binge show, eh? That's really how I prefer to watch, all shows available and then just pound through 'em.
I told my virtual DVR to "record" it a couple of weeks ago and it's showing something like 13 episodes in the can. I presume that's a whole season. Will probably at least start it eventually.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It ended last night, yes.
Will probably at least start it eventually.
Why do you hate feeling good? :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:24 am It ended last night, yes.
Will probably at least start it eventually.
Why do you hate feeling good? :D
"Feeling" is always bad. I avoid it when I can.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am a cynical burnt-out husk and this entire show made me feel good. Would recommend.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll give it a look after we finish the Star Trek on CBS No Access. I want to bleed that dry and cancel before they charge me.