Apollo 13 50th anniversary

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Apollo 13 50th anniversary

Post by AWS260 »

The 50th anniversary of Tom Hanks' NASA engineers' greatest triumph is right around the corner. This is an extremely cool website:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/
Holman

Re: Apollo 13 50th anniversary

Post by Holman »

Very cool!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Woah, that's nice.

Thanks.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We watched the movie last night to mark the anniversary. My 10-year-old really loved it, which made me very happy. And it's just a great movie regardless. Kathleen Quinlan has the toughest role as Marilyn Lovell and she knocks it out of the park.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm We watched the movie last night to mark the anniversary. My 10-year-old really loved it, which made me very happy. And it's just a great movie regardless. Kathleen Quinlan has the toughest role as Marilyn Lovell and she knocks it out of the park.
I never really thought about it that way, but you’re right. She has to sell that helplessness and anger over probably becoming a widow and she aced it. In a movie of strong performances, she should have gotten more recognition.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apollo 13 exploded on my 13th birthday. I followed that mission obsessively and never doubted that NASA would bring them home. 'Course, they weren't exactly feeding us all the details at the time.

I can't resist telling this story again: The high point of my science museum career was hosting Jim Lovell for a few hours. He was promoting his book prior to the movie coming out, and I'd arranged an afternoon book signing and evening lecture. After the exhibit halls closed, he and I walked to the museum's old Apollo exhibit, which had a mockup of the LEM. He climbed in and showed me the key points of interest.

I was 39 at the time...or 3*13.

Oh...and after spending several hours with my teenage hero? He's the real deal.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm Apollo 13 exploded on my 13th birthday. I followed that mission obsessively and never doubted that NASA would bring them home. 'Course, they weren't exactly feeding us all the details at the time.

I can't resist telling this story again: The high point of my science museum career was hosting Jim Lovell for a few hours. He was promoting his book prior to the movie coming out, and I'd arranged an afternoon book signing and evening lecture. After the exhibit halls closed, he and I walked to the museum's old Apollo exhibit, which had a mockup of the LEM. He climbed in and showed me the key points of interest.

Of all the things that's one of the few experiences I'm really jealous of. That's super awesome!
raydude

Post by raydude »

gbasden wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:44 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 pm Apollo 13 exploded on my 13th birthday. I followed that mission obsessively and never doubted that NASA would bring them home. 'Course, they weren't exactly feeding us all the details at the time.

Of all the things that's one of the few experiences I'm really jealous of. That's super awesome!
Agreed, that is truly awesome!