Are you stimulating?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Stimulus checks are arriving. What are you doing with yours?

Shopping Spree!
2%
Buy big-ticket item
2%
Home improvement
2%
Pay off debt
20%
Vacation
No votes
Bank it!
43%
Give it right back because you already owe taxes
13%
Other (explain yourself)
20%

Total votes: 61

Archinerd

Re: Are you stimulating?

Post by Archinerd »

We bought a new TV a few weeks ago because the old one broke and we didn't think we could manage staying home 24 hours a day without one.
Nothing crazy, about $650 all in. It's been 17 years since I bought the last one so we were kind of due anyway.

Other than that, we'll be saving the rest. Depending on how long the recovery takes I may be looking for a job before the year is out.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

don't think i'll be getting one
Brian

Post by Brian »

We did not receive anything today. Attempts to find our status on the Get My Payment page results in the following message:

Payment Status Not Available
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility.

I've already filed and payed the money owed for this year but I was unable to file electronically as all attempts to e-file generated a message about my AGI not matching their records despite my information being pulled directly from the previous years return.

So, sounds like I'm getting proper fucked by the IRS yet again. We'll likely get something eventually (I'm hearing November as a possibility) which is ironic since I was planning to use that money to pay down the several thousand dollars I still owe on taxes from my 2018 filing.

Guess if they're making me wait, I'll just have to make them wait as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our deposit hit today. Time to chase after the CPA and find out if he finished our return, and how much we owe (if anything). Our taxes fluctuate a lot from year to year.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope some minimum-wage shlub at the recycling plant is skimming out all the deposit bottles and cans from my trash. I hate throwing away money, but nobody's accepting returns and I don't have the space to store containers indefinitely. There must be millions of nickels flowing through there.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Both my daughters have received their $1,200. We have paid the last two years so we will have to wait for the check to be mailed.

We have been cleaning out my FIL's apartment, as he died a couple weeks ago. None of the charities will pick up stuff right now, I had hoped to give away his couch and some other furniture that way. So, it looks like I will be playing moving man soon.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm getting a reduced sum, but I'm going to put whatever comes in towards charity and friends that need it more than I do. I still have a job.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We'll be getting the full amount. I owe every year, but had already filed and paid. I just added my direct deposit info, so we'll see how long it takes for the money to show up. Our plan is for it to immediately go into savings. In reality we'll probably use some of it to cover certain unexpected expenses this month (looking at you $200 AC repair bill), but the rest is going to be saved for when the baby comes.

My wife's due date is Halloween, and our hope is to be able to save the money until then to offset some of her lost income so she can take the full 12 week maternity leave.

That's the dream, anyway. I'm sure life will find a way to make sure none of that actually happens.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm We did not receive anything today. Attempts to find our status on the Get My Payment page results in the following message:

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility.
Same thing here. My wife normally handles the online banking and she is fairly sure we haven't received anything. Since I haven't had a refund the past few years I'm thinking they don't know my account info and I'm going to be mailed a physical check. :(

I'm a bad consumer. We'll bank it for now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

msteelers wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 am We'll be getting the full amount. I owe every year, but had already filed and paid. I just added my direct deposit info, so we'll see how long it takes for the money to show up. Our plan is for it to immediately go into savings. In reality we'll probably use some of it to cover certain unexpected expenses this month (looking at you $200 AC repair bill), but the rest is going to be saved for when the baby comes.

My wife's due date is Halloween, and our hope is to be able to save the money until then to offset some of her lost income so she can take the full 12 week maternity leave.

That's the dream, anyway. I'm sure life will find a way to make sure none of that actually happens.
How did you enter your bank information? When I checked the site it told me it didn't know my status. So that's f'n awesome. I didn't get a refund the last two years so I think I'll end up getting a check. I have a feeling I'll have to chase people down to ever get it now. :evil:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No money, no money, no money.
But today is payday and I got that,
and I'd rather have that,
so I'm knocking wood
and not complaining.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got more than I thought I would. I'd rather have my paycheck. My last paycheck takehome was :shock: , a 50% cut in pay translates to an 80% cut in take home to maintain my benefits. "Fortunately" we've move to one week on and one week off at 100% wage for the moment, which allows me to file for unemployment every other week. That's a huge difference. Without that, I'd be moving into cutting things out of my already fairly spartan lifestyle or living by deficit. With it, I can move back saving something for unplanned expenses. I'm never not amazed at how expensive maintenance is in modern living and continually wonder how the collective "we"do it.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm We did not receive anything today. Attempts to find our status on the Get My Payment page results in the following message:

I went to check the website, and it actually "recognized" my information from the first screen and said that we should be eligible for a payment but they don't have our direct deposit information (as expected, since we've owed the last several years). So I tried filling out the form to give them my direct deposit information. It asks for AGI and amount owed/refunded from 2019 (if filed) or 2018. I enter it exactly as it appears on my tax forms. It tells me it doesn't recognize the entries. Okay, IRS probably hasn't even processed our tax return yet. I find the PDF with my 2018 taxes and enter the information - again, exactly as it appears on the 1040. It still refuses to recognize it, and now I'm locked out from checking again for 24 hours. Screw this shit, I'll just wait for a check.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Got ours Wednesday. Paid for dog training, a new chainsaw, and a catering bill for our daughters wedding a few years back. They forgot to bill us for 2 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 pm I went to check the website, and it actually "recognized" my information from the first screen and said that we should be eligible for a payment but they don't have our direct deposit information (as expected, since we've owed the last several years).
A couple of years ago our CPA filed our return -- with a balance due -- hours before the deadline. I didn't find out until I got a bill including penalties and interest some weeks later that I hadn't ticked the box to let the IRS auto-withdraw the payment. The next year, I ticked that box. Point being that you can give them access even if they don't owe you a refund...not that that knowledge will help you right now.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Octavious wrote:
msteelers wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 am We'll be getting the full amount. I owe every year, but had already filed and paid. I just added my direct deposit info, so we'll see how long it takes for the money to show up. Our plan is for it to immediately go into savings. In reality we'll probably use some of it to cover certain unexpected expenses this month (looking at you $200 AC repair bill), but the rest is going to be saved for when the baby comes.

How did you enter your bank information? When I checked the site it told me it didn't know my status. So that's f'n awesome. I didn't get a refund the last two years so I think I'll end up getting a check. I have a feeling I'll have to chase people down to ever get it now. :evil:
I checked our status on the IRS site, and after it said we were getting a payment it prompted me to enter the information.

It’s a weird URL. I had to google it a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t on a scammers phishing website. I was paranoid the entire time I entered the information.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am You left out a poll option - not getting a stimulus check. That's where I would fall.

I guess that leaves me with "other" in the current answers.
I am "lucky" enough to have a wife that makes very little and a couple of dependents so I should be getting a decent chunk of change.

I don't have any specific use for it so it will go in the bank assuming it does show up. I went to check things on the IRS site and they say they can't determine if they owe me anything. My 2019 taxes were filed last week so they have up to date info. We'll see I guess.
It no longer says they can't determine, it now says payment scheduled for 4/22, so yay.
coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:50 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:07 pm So far, 23 responses, no stimulating going on. This isn't going to bode well for subsequent windfalls if the intended results are not there.
I was going to use it as an excuse to upgrade our worst gaming PC, but then I backed into the garage door (Zaxxon's fault!) and the replacement was.... not cheap. I'm still on the lookout for a VR headset, but bored people (and scalpers - is that what we call them in this scenario?) keep buying them all.
Also, coincidentally I was finally able to order an Oculus Quest sunday morning. Never mind that it was before I knew the payment was coming, I was stimulating!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

80 million people got their money and I don't know a single one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A couple grand arrived in my bank account today. Time to stimulate... and by that I mean change nothing about my spending. Oculus Quest should arrive next week. Still thinking about replacing our worst gaming PC. The water heater is 11 years old so that can go at any moment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:36 am A couple grand arrived in my bank account today. Time to stimulate... and by that I mean change nothing about my spending. Oculus Quest should arrive next week. Still thinking about replacing our worst gaming PC. The water heater is 11 years old so that can go at any moment.
We had to replace our water heater in January. It was 27 years old. I think the water heater, removal and install ran $1,300 +/-.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:36 am A couple grand arrived in my bank account today. Time to stimulate... and by that I mean change nothing about my spending. Oculus Quest should arrive next week. Still thinking about replacing our worst gaming PC. The water heater is 11 years old so that can go at any moment.
We had to replace our water heater in January. It was 27 years old. I think the water heater, removal and install ran $1,300 +/-.
You got off easy. I had to replace my 6-year old one last year (a month after manufacture warranty expired, natch). It's an oversize tank, and with the friends and family discount from a neighbor with his own HVAC business, it was still over $2000.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:35 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm
You got off easy. I had to replace my 6-year old one last year (a month after manufacture warranty expired, natch). It's an oversize tank, and with the friends and family discount from a neighbor with his own HVAC business, it was still over $2000.
Ours went a few weeks ago. I wanted the plumber to replace my kitchen faucet while he was here. Turned out that my 1940s-era farmer's sink can't handle the fancy 21st century hardware that everybody's buying now; in fact, I need one whose aerator can be replaced with one that fits my dishwasher hose, and that radically narrowed the choices. He sent me to his plumbing supply place to pick one out. After Waze sent me to the right address in the wrong town, I finally found the place and paid $300 for one (and that was his discounted price). My dishwasher nipple didn't fit. So he just replaced the water heater, and while he was doing that a pipe burst in the cellar, so now THAT had to be replaced and I had some water to hoover up. He gave me the make and model # of a faucet that would fit, so I had to drive back to the supply place and exchange it, and he had to make a second house call to put it in. Total damage was around $1800, including the cheaper faucet. Such are the joys of having a >100-year-old house. At least this water heater has an 11-year warranty.

I asked him about going tankless, btw, and he talked me out of that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm I asked him about going tankless, btw, and he talked me out of that.
Why did he talk you out of that?
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I spent some $1100 last year getting mine replaced. I got a small one to save a few bucks and we don't use much hot water anyways.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm I asked him about going tankless, btw, and he talked me out of that.
One of my employees decided to self-install a tankless heater. it took him 2 days, and I think all of the parts he needed was north of $4K.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 pm
Very expensive -- it would've meant replacing the furnace, too -- and not the once-and-done prospect I thought it was. They fail without regular maintenance. At my age, an 11-year water heater could be the last one I'll need to buy, and I'm not even sure that I'm going to retire in this house. Even if I do stay here and have to buy one more water heater after this one, the total cost would still be a fraction of going tankless.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm glad I rent. If our water heater ever goes, replacing it will require removing the sink, carrying the cabinet out of the bathroom, and knocking down a dividing wall. Whoever installed the current one did so, built a closet around it in such a way that it won't fit through the only gap, then put the sink between the closet and the door.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Im stimulating the hell out of a fence company after a tornado took down my fence and some siding last Monday.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 pm Got ours Wednesday. Paid for dog training, a new chainsaw, and a catering bill for our daughters wedding a few years back. They forgot to bill us for 2 years.
My Echo CS-400 Chainsaw arrived yesterday and I will be cutting up a downed tree this weekend.
Dog is back and well mannered.
Caterer is paid and happy since they are a local small business.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm self stimulating. :lol:
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The finally added me on the site as I've been checking daily. Entered my bank info so now it's just a waiting game. I'm planning on getting a new fridge and banking the rest.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Going to blow about $100 in ammo this afternoon. About $40 in pre-covid prices.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Earlier in this kerfuffle, I ordered 1000 rounds of 9mm at ~$200. I have some active suppression earphones in my Amazon cart, ammo boxes coming next week, and an appointment in June to get the training portion of my carry license completed so I can move forward on it.

I also have two new Logitech mice coming for myself and the wife.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I see California's law requiring a background check to buy ammo was struck down.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:38 pm Earlier in this kerfuffle, I ordered 1000 rounds of 9mm at ~$200.
That's standard pre-covid pricing. $0.20/rd isn't bad for ball. $0.17 is what I'd look for but no problems at .20.

Problem right now is any reputable dealer sells out as soon as they get it in and then rest are like .80.

It's TP.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Natchez was the provider. When I went back to look, it was $250.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm Payment Status Not Available

I've already filed and payed the money owed for this year but I was unable to file electronically as all attempts to e-file generated a message about my AGI not matching their records despite my information being pulled directly from the previous years return.
Good News: Our stimulus status is no longer listed as unavailable and we can now enter our banking information.

Bad News: It says our information doesn't match their records. This is the same thing that kept us from filing electronically this year even though the information is pulled directly from our return.

As far as I can tell, there's no way for me to follow up on this until the IRS opens back up for calls.

:grund:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Post by Default »

Paid off credit card debt. Next is pounding money into the mortgage until it ceases to be.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:07 pm Natchez was the provider. When I went back to look, it was $250.
$35 something for a box of 50 ball at the range today, before 11% sales tax and $0.05/round county ammo tax. So glad my locker there is stocked.

Not a fan of the markup but if they sell at normal prices, people will hoard it or resell it. They did 1 box per customer during peak panic but doesn't work now.

A lot of first-timers stimulating the firearms business.

MYT